RMweb

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

I agree about the glass though ... but not sure how you could get away from this.

Remember that the Dartmoor scene and much of the Vale are now themselves fragile historic artefacts that require stable environmental conditions to survive. It's quite unlike the sort of exhibition layout that maybe sees fifty days of environmental abuse in exhibition halls and is then retired.

You do seem to have an un-ending parade of friends coming through to play trains (and I can understand the reason why from the visitors standpoint).

It would appear you have built a very nice retirement for yourself, particularly when combined with your current rate of modelling output (presumably including group modelling sessions) alongside family and social life - what a great existence ..... very lucky - though I'm sure fully deserved.

Thanks Tim,

Having worked full-time for over 40 years (with a two-year 'walkabout' in 1986/87), I'm not sure whether that qualifies me for a 'fully deserved' retirement, but I intend to make the most of it. 

For part of that career path, I was a professional loco-builder, which meant having to build quickly in order to achieve a realistic remunerative return on my time. Building quickly doesn't mean being slipshod, nor cutting too many corners - just being pragmatic. Take, for instance, the recent comments about valve gear on locos. Mine were (are) always compromised, and set just about in mid-gear. This means no movement of the radius rod and, thus, no movement on the piston valves. Since this lack of movement is all but invisible as a loco bowls by, then that suits me (and, more importantly, suited my customers). I can imagine the howls of indignation when, say, I doubled the price of yet another DJH A1 because the expansion links were double (as they should be), the radius rod was able to move up and down in the die-block (simulating everything from full forward gear to reverse) and, thus, the piston valves were (apparently) actuated. Add on to that fancy compensation and springing, and I'd either have been working for below the minimum wage or not working at all! I was on a good salary as a teacher (being a head of department in a large comprehensive school) and had a mortgage and two small boys, meaning I had commitments after giving up teaching. 

My visitors' book gets fuller because of (obviously) so many visitors (visitors only have to sign on their first visit). Since LB is not (nor ever could be) an exhibition layout, then it's seen at home. I'm immensely privileged to have so many visitors, all of whom are either friends or become so (with two exceptions, but that's not important). Obviously, visits are by invitation, and the list keeps on growing. What's most interesting to me is when visitors bring their own locos to run. Since LB is analogue, anything in OO/HO can run (with the exception of old, coarse standards).

I don't really have group modelling sessions, more one-to-one. So far (from 2011) I've assisted about 20 individuals, helping them (most-often) build locomotives. Some learn so quickly that my assistance is rapidly not needed (though they still visit socially), while others need a bit more time. It only works if they do their 'homework', which they do. I assure you, this is not altruism - it helped me through a very dark time over recent years. No charge is made, though donations to charities of personal choice are requested. I've been astonished at the generosity - not that I ask, but have found out from time to time. 

Believe it or not, I (we) do have a social life which has nothing to do with railways. 

As for the future. Who knows? I still build quickly, mainly because I get bored if projects take too long. Some of that building is 'horse-trading' (Christmas is almost upon us!), but most now is for me. On Friday, I was asked by friends (on their seeing four, new unpainted locos), 'Why do you keep on building locos when you already have so many?' 'Because I can!' 

I still build the occasional loco kit for review (see the RM next year) and still do the occasional layout photo commission for the mags and write articles (see BRM recently, next year and RM next year). On top of that, I've been asked to write three more books on the prototype for next year, using my own pictures and those of others. 

Then there are the exhibitions where I appear as a demonstrator/loco doctor. Regarding the latter, if I'm successful in 'resurrecting' a dud, a donation to Cancer Research is requested. So far this year, over £1,000 has been donated.

How did I have ever have the time to work full-time? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 15

Retirement should not mean slowing down, but ensuring the Brain and Body is as active as it was during the working years. When The Brain stops, the Body stops, and that when they close the lid. New ideas, new projects and new friends, I will never stop learning I hope.

Excellent post above Tony.

• Like 5

Regarding Pendon,

I was once akin to the Salman Rushdie (is that how his name is spelled?) of the model railway world by my NOT listing Pendon as one of my top ten model railways - because it isn't a model of an actual prototype, which all the others were. Talk about going into hiding! 

I was privileged on at least two occasions to be allowed the 'other side of the glass' to take pictures, and to introduce a DVD. There is no doubt that the overall standard of modelling is unsurpassed, especially the architectural and scenic side of it. 

As an overall scene (as if one were observing - especially - the Vale from an adjacent hill) it is staggering. At close-quarters, it is equally staggering, but, in my opinion, it's more of a miniature museum than a model railway. A very high-class museum. 

Finally, and I've told this before, having been in absolute awe of Guy Williams in my formative years, I looked forward to taking a picture of his iconic 28XX on that endless cut of mineral wagons. Getting it into position for my shot, it growled into view, waddling fro side-to-side in a most un-prototypical manner, then, promptly derailed! I was told it was probably worn out, which is fair. 

• Like 4

Thanks Tim,

Having worked full-time for over 40 years (with a two-year 'walkabout' in 1986/87), I'm not sure whether that qualifies me for a 'fully deserved' retirement, but I intend to make the most of it. 

For part of that career path, I was a professional loco-builder, which meant having to build quickly in order to achieve a realistic remunerative return on my time. Building quickly doesn't mean being slipshod, nor cutting too many corners - just being pragmatic. Take, for instance, the recent comments about valve gear on locos. Mine were (are) always compromised, and set just about in mid-gear. This means no movement of the radius rod and, thus, no movement on the piston valves. Since this lack of movement is all but invisible as a loco bowls by, then that suits me (and, more importantly, suited my customers). I can imagine the howls of indignation when, say, I doubled the price of yet another DJH A1 because the expansion links were double (as they should be), the radius rod was able to move up and down in the die-block (simulating everything from full forward gear to reverse) and, thus, the piston valves were (apparently) actuated. Add on to that fancy compensation and springing, and I'd either have been working for below the minimum wage or not working at all! I was on a good salary as a teacher (being a head of department in a large comprehensive school) and had a mortgage and two small boys, meaning I had commitments after giving up teaching. 

My visitors' book gets fuller because of (obviously) so many visitors (visitors only have to sign on their first visit). Since LB is not (nor ever could be) an exhibition layout, then it's seen at home. I'm immensely privileged to have so many visitors, all of whom are either friends or become so (with two exceptions, but that's not important). Obviously, visits are by invitation, and the list keeps on growing. What's most interesting to me is when visitors bring their own locos to run. Since LB is analogue, anything in OO/HO can run (with the exception of old, coarse standards).

I don't really have group modelling sessions, more one-to-one. So far (from 2011) I've assisted about 20 individuals, helping them (most-often) build locomotives. Some learn so quickly that my assistance is rapidly not needed (though they still visit socially), while others need a bit more time. It only works if they do their 'homework', which they do. I assure you, this is not altruism - it helped me through a very dark time over recent years. No charge is made, though donations to charities of personal choice are requested. I've been astonished at the generosity - not that I ask, but have found out from time to time. 

Believe it or not, I (we) do have a social life which has nothing to do with railways. 

As for the future. Who knows? I still build quickly, mainly because I get bored if projects take too long. Some of that building is 'horse-trading' (Christmas is almost upon us!), but most now is for me. On Friday, I was asked by friends (on their seeing four, new unpainted locos), 'Why do you keep on building locos when you already have so many?' 'Because I can!' 

I still build the occasional loco kit for review (see the RM next year) and still do the occasional layout photo commission for the mags and write articles (see BRM recently, next year and RM next year). On top of that, I've been asked to write three more books on the prototype for next year, using my own pictures and those of others. 

Then there are the exhibitions where I appear as a demonstrator/loco doctor. Regarding the latter, if I'm successful in 'resurrecting' a dud, a donation to Cancer Research is requested. So far this year, over £1,000 has been donated.

How did I have ever have the time to work full-time? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

You often mention the other contributors to Little Bytham ... by group modelling I was more referring to this .... but perhaps it doesn't work like that?

Great post Tony.

I feel I have graduated from the Tony Wright school of locomotive building distance course, so you have certianly assisted me immensely, though not on a 1 to 1 basis. I may not have graduated with flying colours either, but you are definitely responsible for my addiction to loco building, and I think, if you watched me build, that you would recognise most of the techniques I use. 

It is one of my big regrets (probably not yours!) that I'm not able to visit more regularly. I have always thoroughly enjoyed my visits to see you and Mo, your collective hospitality, and the warm welcome I always get is most appreciated. I feel our discussions always cover more than 'just railways', and very much enjoy chewing the fat and putting the world to (w)rights. 

I cannot possibly spare the time to read everything that is written on this most interesting of threads - but I do check in daily. On the whole, I find the discussion lively and relevant, but I most enjoy seeing 'wot people have dun'.

By the way, that Dan Pinnock kit looks great. I saw two similar kits on Ebay sell for in excess of £80. I know Dan is mostly retired, but this shows me there IS demand for this sort of thing.

Not really sure what point I am trying to make with this post, apart from to say - to all - please keep the pictures and lively debate coming.

Edited by grob1234
  • Like 6

Finally, and I've told this before, having been in absolute awe of Guy Williams in my formative years, I looked forward to taking a picture of his iconic 28XX on that endless cut of mineral wagons. Getting it into position for my shot, it growled into view, waddling fro side-to-side in a most un-prototypical manner, then, promptly derailed! I was told it was probably worn out, which is fair. 

Given the longevity and the amount of running I suspect many of their locos suffer from undue ware. On my own thread Alan Goodwillie recently posted this observation when discussing the museum layout he built and ran in Scotland

The layout was rebuilt into a circular layout over the first winter as that was more practical for a museum layout. A lot of the engines did many miles as you can imagine and I even wore completely through one set of N/S wheels!

• RMweb Premium

Regarding Pendon,

I was once akin to the Salman Rushdie (is that how his name is spelled?) of the model railway world by my NOT listing Pendon as one of my top ten model railways - because it isn't a model of an actual prototype, which all the others were. Talk about going into hiding! 

I was privileged on at least two occasions to be allowed the 'other side of the glass' to take pictures, and to introduce a DVD. There is no doubt that the overall standard of modelling is unsurpassed, especially the architectural and scenic side of it. 

As an overall scene (as if one were observing - especially - the Vale from an adjacent hill) it is staggering. At close-quarters, it is equally staggering, but, in my opinion, it's more of a miniature museum than a model railway. A very high-class museum. 

That's exactly the point Tony - its original name was (possibly still is) the Pendon Museum of Miniature Landscape and Transport - in that order!

However, much of the display is behind glass making it difficult to see well and don't expect exhibition levels of entertainment - there were very, very few trains running (there were no long expresses bashing through like you'll see on LB). 

If it's entertainment that's required, then perhaps this provides the answer.

http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/

Most who go are chiefly impressed by the architectural modelling. In a way, it's a bit like Bekonscott - although the railway is its raison d'être, for many visitors, the trains are incidental.

Isn't that like some railway layouts. Great architectural and scenic modelling but surprisingly indifferent representations of the railway infrastructure. Perhaps that's because the builder puts his effort into the stuff he actually creates and accepts what the manufacturers supply for the locos, track, signalling, etc.

• RMweb Gold

By the way, that Dan Pinnock kit looks great. I saw two similar kits on Ebay sell for in excess of £80. I know Dan is mostly retired, but this shows me there IS demand for this sort of thing.

Keep an eye on the D&S threads as Dan still produces 2 dozen kits a year, I'm due to pop over and pick some more up soon, a couple of which are destined for Canada.

• Like 1

You need to get out more and broaden your horizons!

Mike.

Mike,

I assume your remark is 'tongue in cheek'. 

By getting out more and broadening my horizons, what exactly do you mean? Between now and the spring, I'm scheduled to appear (in an 'official' capacity) at shows as far afield as Stevenage, Southampton, Stafford, Doncaster, Biggleswade, Glasgow, Nottingham, York, Ely and Bristol (probably more, though I haven't got my diary immediately to hand). It's likely at these events that I'll see (and probably take pictures of) all sorts of kits of all types, both in their kit-form and made-up. Obviously, in your opinion, I need to attend more shows, though I do have another 'life' as well. The reason I mention shows, is that's where one sees model railway items 'in the flesh' - not just in magazines or on the internet. I can examine kits, buy them to build (or be invited to build one for review), talk to the manufacturers and talk to others who've built them. How broad do you wish my horizon to be? 

Which kits do you consider 'superior' to D&S' etched rolling stock kits? How many have you built? From which source are they? In what way are they better than Dan's kits? Are they quicker to build, easier to build, more accurate, less-expensive or what? Please, give me (us) what you consider to be a 'broad horizon'. Better still, show me (us) pictures of what you've built from these (obviously?) superior kits. 

The ball's in your court. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4

Keep an eye on the D&S threads as Dan still produces 2 dozen kits a year, I'm due to pop over and pick some more up soon, a couple of which are destined for Canada.

I don’t suppose you could do me a favour please and remind him about the LNER bogies for dynamometer car I bought a while back. He was going send a brace to my home address in the UK but I think it may have slipped his mind.

EDIT: thanks Dave I have just seen the D&S thread. I’ll probaby write a letter to Dan and ask him for a kit list and of course some bogies. Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by grob1234
  • Like 1

Tony,

You often mention the other contributors to Little Bytham ... by group modelling I was more referring to this .... but perhaps it doesn't work like that?

My apologies, Tim.

I should have figured that out. 

There have been occasions when 'group modelling' has taken place with regard to Little Bytham. When the boards were erected and some of the wiring, for instance. In the main though, it's been no more than just a couple of us at a time working on it, etc.

For instance, Norman Solomon and me doing the scenic-side trackwork (mainly Norman). Rob Davey and me, or Richard Wilson and me, or Gilbert Barnatt and me doing the scenic work and so on. Graham Nicholas and me installing the signals (mainly Graham).

Most other contributors have made things via horse-trading and I've installed them - Ian Wilson's buildings, Bob Dawson's buildings and Scott Waterfield's buildings, for instance. Plus all the other little bits and pieces which friends have so kindly donated. 

Obviously, I do a fair bit of the work by myself.

I think working with so many skilled individuals has been a great privilege, resulting in what you see in the Little Bytham pictures. Those who see it in the flesh seem to think it looks better first-hand than it does in the pictures, which is a compliment to the builders (I hope) rather than an observation on my pictures. 

Regards,

Tony.  

Tony,

there are kits that may be "better" than some of Danny's. As I model the LNWR I can only suggest that the LRM 6 wheel LNWR carriages have "better" underframes (with the Cleminson sytem) than the two former D&S six wheeler kits now in the LRM range. Whether they are easier or quicker to build is subjective. The former D&S kits are 23% cheaper than the later LRM designs, but that is a reflection of the amount of metal in the kits.

The David Geen GWR carriages are said to be very good, as were the Slaters MR six wheel carriages (currently in the Coopercraft black hole). However, like yourself I suspect, I haven't built any.

Danny's kits are very good, but unless somebody has built everything on the market, how is it possible to offer an objective assessment of what is "best"?

Jol

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mike,

By getting out more and broadening my horizons, what exactly do you mean? Between now and the spring, I'm scheduled to appear (in an 'official' capacity) at shows as far afield as Stevenage, Southampton, Stafford, Doncaster, Biggleswade, Glasgow, Nottingham, York, Ely and Bristol (probably more, though I haven't got my diary immediately to hand). It's likely at these events that I'll see (and probably take pictures of) all sorts of kits of all types, both in their kit-form and made-up. Obviously, in your opinion, I need to attend more shows, though I do have another 'life' as well. The reason I mention shows, is that's where one sees model railway items 'in the flesh' - not just in magazines or on the internet. I can examine kits, buy them to build (or be invited to build one for review), talk to the manufacturers and talk to others who've built them. How broad do you wish my horizon to be? 

Which kits do you consider 'superior' to D&S' etched rolling stock kits? How many have you built? From which source are they? In what way are they better than Dan's kits? Are they quicker to build, easier to build, more accurate, less-expensive or what? Please, give me (us) what you consider to be a 'broad horizon'. Better still, show me (us) pictures of what you've built from these (obviously?) superior kits. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony

There other contenders, Colin Craig's freightliner flats  kit is definitely premier league. Jim Smith-Wright's bits and bobs are excellent. I think these would have slipped under the radar of most people who regularly read this thread as they are "modern image". Like wise many diesel and electric modellers would have never heard of D&S kits. I have and have one almost finished, the LNER ballast brake van and to build a GNR 6 wheeled full brake. Both are well on the back burner after the demise of Hanging Hill. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Tony,

That’s a lovely looking vehicle built at your normal prolific speed! I picked up a few D and S kits from his latest list including the D86 milk van that you showed me on LB recently and I’m looking forward to tackling them, but I’m sure I won’t get it built in a day!

I’m sure the ‘Shakespeare’ d120 would be a Chivers kit - I’m not aware of anyone else who makes one. That is a lovely kit to build as well, although not much use for a soldering iron!

Regards

Andy

I've used Comet's sides and ends on an ex Chivers Kit, now Slimlines; makes a good alternative. I'm suspicious that Isinglass used to do a full kit, but I may be imagining things?

Phil 

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

The apostrophe is in exactly the right place, Phil. 

I'm very well, thank you. In fact, I'm in rude health (well, I'm rude and I'm healthy!). 

attachicon.gifRM Little Bytham 22.jpg

Will this do for the moment for a shot of Little Bytham? I took it about two months ago, and there's some point rodding been added in this area since then. I've yet to fully bed-in the footbridge as well, The train is the Down Scotch Goods, hauled by A4 60026 MILES BEEVOR (SE Finecast/Wright/Rathbone). Please take note of the fifth vehicle in the train. 

It's a Pigeon Van (now a treasured possession), built by the late Dave Shakespeare. It's in plastic, so is it a Chivers' kit?  

The reason I mention this is because I've just built another one today (I started it last evening), but it's in metal. 

attachicon.gifpigeon van 02.jpg

attachicon.gifpigeon van 03.jpg

There are a few bits and pieces needing to be attached for completeness, but what a brilliant kit it is. Are there any better etched rolling stock kits than those made by Dan Pinnock? I've not come across any. The only thing I've substituted is the roof. The one supplied is vacuum-formed plastic, but the MJT aluminium one is far superior. 

In a way, my construction of this illustrates my ambivalence towards the likes of RMweb. It's taken me about eight hours to make, time spent in constructional fruitfulness, not bashing away at a keyboard. Don't misunderstand me - for a time, this thread was my 'lifeline' in the hobby during a very dark time, but my main interest in the hobby is making things - lots of things, which takes time.

I'm very happy to help folk where I can, and I'm immensely pleased when I see the work of those I've helped posted here, or actually brought to my home. I'm also delighted to see what others have done, without my help (probably much better). It's just that today has been a splendid reminder of what I can 'achieve', given no distractions. I'm not saying it's good, just achievable.

I might also add that I value hugely the time spent with visitors; as much, if not more, than I enjoy making things (a shame, then, that the weather scuppered visitors' plans for today, but there's the New Year).  

attachicon.gifcarriages 04.jpg

Prior to starting the D&S kit, I spent part of Sunday afternoon tinkering with one of Hornby's latest Mk.1s, in this case an FO. One or two of this type are needed for LB's trains (Bachmann makes an RFO), and indolence has prevented me from making any. So, this is just the ticket. All I've done is to change the wheels, chuck away the bogie-mounted couplings (Ugh!), make my own couplings, fit concertina gangways, weather the roof, paint the table tops and add some curtains. As a 'layout' coach, it fits in fine. 

Finally, no matter if you have a cold (I'm immune - years of teaching snotty-nosed oiks ensured that), please come on Wednesday (with Gilbert) and bring those sides you mention. I'll show you how to form them. 

Thank you for those pics; very spooky.....Beevor was the only A4 I know I was hauled by as I walked past it at the stops at Kings cross in 1962. There could have been others, however I would have been too young to identify them. My loss.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hello Tony

There other contenders, Colin Craig's freightliner flats  kit is definitely premier league.

While I haven’t finished the kit (after it got broken in half when moving house), Colin’s Freigtliner wagon is by far the best kit Ive ever worked on, both in accuracy, instructions and design. (I even managed to make a good job of construction having never made an etched kit before.)

The instructions in particular are streets ahead of those supplied by Mitchell or Finney, with a level of fine detail that is similar to the latter.

One day I must finish it, though finishing the aforementioned Mitchell Manor and Finney Collett and Dean Goods are far ahead of it in the queue.

• Like 2

Tony,

there are kits that may be "better" than some of Danny's. As I model the LNWR I can only suggest that the LRM 6 wheel LNWR carriages have "better" underframes (with the Cleminson sytem) than the two former D&S six wheeler kits now in the LRM range. Whether they are easier or quicker to build is subjective. The former D&S kits are 23% cheaper than the later LRM designs, but that is a reflection of the amount of metal in the kits.

The David Geen GWR carriages are said to be very good, as were the Slaters MR six wheel carriages (currently in the Coopercraft black hole). However, like yourself I suspect, I haven't built any.

Danny's kits are very good, but unless somebody has built everything on the market, how is it possible to offer an objective assessment of what is "best"?

Jol

Well put, Jol. 

I've built a couple of David Geen kits, but not carriages. They were, in fact, white metal wagons, and were excellent (at least I think they were David Geen kits, but it is some time ago). I've also built several Slater's plastic carriages, but, being plastic, I'm not as happy with the building methods for those. 

Also in the excellent category are the the several LRM kits I've built, though I've only ever constructed loco kits from John's stable. Other etched rolling stock kits which I've built which fit into the 'excellent' (in my opinion) kits' category include Comet, Kemilway, MJT, ROCOM, Isinglass, Mallard - there must be others, but the memory crumbles. Can you name some more, please, and it'll jog the grey matter.  

Since I haven't built everything on the market, you're right, I cannot offer an objective assessment. That said, and, of course, it's my opinion, I've never built an etched kit which is 'better' than a D&S kit. I've built many which are the equal, but none better. 

post-18225-0-93490500-1513096175_thumb.jpg

I started this D&S LNER Milk Van after lunch, and, thus far, both sides are formed, one end has its steps and there's just this door to solder in place. The fit of parts is exemplary, though the left-hand louvres are slightly 'filled-in' in part. A scalpel will cure that. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright

Thank you for those pics; very spooky.....Beevor was the only A4 I know I was hauled by as I walked past it at the stops at Kings cross in 1962. There could have been others, however I would have been too young to identify them. My loss.

Phil

Phil,

60026 was the last A4 I 'copped', though I never saw them all. Apart from 60009, 60024 and 60027, those in Scotland might just as well have been on the Moon. A couple at Gateshead eluded me and 60003 was the Top Shed one which 'escaped'. I'm told that every ECML 'spotter saw ANDREW K. McCOSH. Not me. 

• RMweb Gold

Which rolling stock kits do you favour, Mike?

Do you have some pictures of them?

If you think I'm going to fall for that one Tom, you've another think coming, I've already had my halibut moment on here for daring to defend people who couldn't solder.

Pictures of some of my builds for you to slag off exist on various threads on RMWeb, but I never tried to infer I was a high flying expert.

Mike,

Regards,

Tony. 

Tongue in cheek definitely Tony, glad you picked up on that.

I was primarily referring to broadening your modelling era horizons, because, as stated by others, excellent kits exist, although obviously, as LB has no need for out of era stock, and nor should it, you wouldn't correctly spend time being divereted down blind alleys.

Tony,

Jol

Agreed.

Hello Tony

There other contenders, Colin Craig's freightliner flats  kit is definitely premier league. Jim Smith-Wright's bits and bobs are excellent. I think these would have slipped under the radar of most people who regularly read this thread as they are "modern image". Like wise many diesel and electric modellers would have never heard of D&S kits. I have and have one almost finished, the LNER ballast brake van and to build a GNR 6 wheeled full brake. Both are well on the back burner after the demise of Hanging Hill. 

Agreed.

Mike.

A4 Miles Beevor reminded me that I was involved in the administration of the estate of his widow. She had one of the nameplates in the house. It was kept by her son who presumably still has it. Never saw the loco though there was a nice picture of it in the house.

I went to a local show last Saturday. Not very inspirational as to layouts but there was a trader there who was selling a rather large collection of kits at what I thought were very reasonable prices. He told me there was no call for these things these days.( I think I may have given the impression that I wanted to dispose of a number!). That rather bears out what has oft been said here.

I am impressed that Sir seems to be able to knock out quite complex models seemingly daily. These dark days I find it too cold to go to the shed or, if I go, the hands refuse to work after a while and mistakes get made. I really envy those of you who have warm dry places in which to conduct your black arts about which we dare not speak.

I have spent today dismantling a layout belonging to a dear friend who passed away. It was a sad duty as I was reminded of the dreams that the railway represented and the plans that were in place for its development. If you can enjoy what you have whilst you are able as you just do not know what is coming. (I am a fine one to talk but the spirit is willing!)

Martin Long

• Like 1