RMweb

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold

This might be an awkward question to answer, but how much 'play' do you all put into rods/crankpins ?

On the bench is a Cotswold Long Tom (GN 0-8-0),  I've a Mashima motor and Branchlines box that run well, the chassis is the old brass bar that has been altered to accommodate the mashima setup, The wheels, axles and crankpins are Markits and the rods are from the kit.

I've run the motor and gearbox and they are fine.

I've assembled the chassis, wheels and rods and they run/roll.

You connect it all together and it just won't spin freely with the motor getting very hot, if you spin the worm gear with your finger it helps but it is still a bit tight.

The rods are accurate to the axles so I can only presume I've got the rods a little tight on the crankpins. 

I'm used to either large 7'6" Singles or 4/6 coupled, it could be I've had a similar scenario before but the 4 axles have shown it up this time.

Any ideas ?

Edited by chris p bacon

This might be an awkward question to answer, but how much 'play' do you all put into rods/crankpins ?

On the bench is a Cotswold Long Tom (GN 0-8-0),  I've a Mashima motor and Branchlines box that run well, the chassis is the old brass bar that has been altered to accommodate the mashima setup, The wheels, axles and crankpins are Markits and the rods are from the kit.

You connect it all together and it just won't spin freely with the motor getting very hot, if you spin the worm gear with your finger it helps but it is still a bit tight.

The rods are accurate to the axles so I can only presume I've got the rods a little tight on the crankpins. 

I'm used to either large 7'6" Singles or 4/6 coupled, it could be I've had a similar scenario before but the 4 axles have shown it up this time.

Any ideas ?

Hi Dave,

I assume each pair of axles is separately rodded or is it a great long thing tying all four wheelsets?  If it's jointed at the crankpins the best route is to test it with the back four wheels rodded up, then add the next two and so on to identify the tight spot(s).  If it's not jointed, I suggest a universal coupling rod set from Alan Gibson and make it so.

My experience is that you can have more slop on the crankpins than an engineer would like, provided the holes remain round, but finding the tight point first is the best start.

Edited by Buhar

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

I assume each pair of axles is separately rodded or is it a great long thing tying all four wheelsets?  

Yes it's one long rod which I must admit I'm not keen on, I did think about splitting it up into 2 pairs of axles.

I think I've got some Gibson universal frets so I'll have a play.

My (crude) method is to set the rods at one side to 3 or 9 o'clock and see where there's no play, then enlarge that hole slightly. Then set the other side to the same position and repeat.

I have the same kit as you, Dave, with a single rod and it runs round Grantham with no bother.  I don't think you necessarily need abandon the single rod.

Any ideas ?

It's not an awkward question, Dave, but the solutions occasionally can be. 

Retain the original one-piece rod. In my experience, for a rigid chassis (I assume the chassis is rigid), rigid rods are better than articulated ones. In fact, I prefer them for non-rigid chassis as well.  

The clearances needed are far greater in scale than those on the real thing. Do as Jonathan suggests. Set each rod at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock, both sides in turn. Rotate the driven axle and identify where there might be binding - it's always at the central horizontal position. If there is binding, open out the rod's bearings with a taper broach, a bit at a time. Finally, do it with both rods on at the same time - you might need to take a little bit more out. Avoid, if you can, making oval holes in the rods' bearings. 

It's pointless to some extent checking if the whole lot runs down an inclined plain with ease. What you need to do is propel it, via the driven axle. 

One other dodge is to open out the chassis bearings with a one eight taper reamer. This will give you a perfect working clearance. 

If it's still dodgy, I'll be at Biggleswade next month. 

I hope this helps.  

Edited by Tony Wright

• RMweb Gold

If it's still dodgy, I'll be at Biggleswade next month. 

I hope this helps.  

Many thanks Tony.

I have a feeling most of the stuff I make is a bit 'dodgy'  :mosking:  well thats the look on Berns face when presented with it.

Look forward to seeing you both in Feb, if not before. I'm on the door as usual putting visitors off.

Tony those cottages are terrific.

Andrew

That's very kind of you Andrew, though they're really no more than an extension of my 'sketch-book' approach to modelling. Or, as one mate put it some time ago, things look fine at 'stand-off' scale. 

I think the most important thing to me (on a personal level) is that I've made these myself. It's wonderful to be part of a team which has built Little Bytham, but it would mean nothing to me unless I'd made a substantial, practical contribution to the whole project. Now that includes some 'architectural' modelling on my part, I'm happier. 

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 1

If it's of interest I have started to sketch up how it possibly looks:

attachicon.gifDrawing 2.jpg

The model building bottom right is one I have already made but it is possible to see the top left corner of it in the photo (arrowed). It's probably not up to the standard of others efforts on this thread but it is scratch-built and N/2mm scale and I'm not one for using stand in kits and RTP buildings.

Hope this adds something to the discussion.

G. 

Graham,

it looks pretty darn good to me.

Thanks Mark,

Do you know if there is a kit for such a vehicle, please? 

Tony,

I don't think there is one. Given your impressive cottages, I shouldn't think that the conversion of a standard Restaurant car would be beyond your capabilities. Buffet cars are most defiantly a no no, Kitchen Buffets were a different breed. Of course you could go earlier with that train and whistle up a Tavern car.

I like the shot of the B1 on the two set with non gangway strengthener, typical LNER.

Edited by Headstock

• RMweb Gold

I am very pleased to say that after following the advice from this thread, using Epoxy to join the two halfs of the gearbox then soldering half of a hairclip to join the motor to the chassis in the right position.  This evening I managed to run the loco back and forward along my test track multiple times running smoothly.  Just need to line the tender, add handrails to the loco and its ready to enter service.

Its been an interesting challenge, certainly a lot more fun than just opening a box and putting it on the track.  

blogentry-54-0-93736000-1515526849.jpeg

Now to start on a chassis for my Saint...

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Tim,

The plan (if anything I'm involved with is planned) is to build an exhibition layout based on Kiveton Park, between Sheffield and Retford, in OO. I've mentioned it before, but I reckon I can do it (with selective compression) in 24' x 8'. None of the trains is as long as those on LB, and, apart from the occasional V2 or LNER Pacific on out-of-the-normal workings, the largest locos were Britannias and 9Fs. I'd not, then, need to build any more stock. 

I don't mean to pry Tony but you're not getting rid of LB are you? Perhaps you have somewhere else for you and your friends to build the new layout. It would surely be a wrench to let LB go.

Archie

I don't mean to pry Tony but you're not getting rid of LB are you? Perhaps you have somewhere else for you and your friends to build the new layout. It would surely be a wrench to let LB go.

Archie

Archie, 

You're not prying at all. Little Bytham is staying. 

The idea is to build Kiveton Park in my garage. Having got rid of my daft car, I thought I'd then have the space, only for my elder son to fill it with a Rover 2500 (or something like that). I'm assured it's temporary residence. 

We'll see.............................

I hanker after having an exhibition layout again where I've done a lot of the work. I help out with Grantham from time to time (for which I've built locos and I'm painting the backscene), but the wonderful work on that is down to Graham Nicholas, with help from others. 

I have to be pragmatic. I've done my time with WMRC lugging large layouts around - fine when one is in the 30s, 40s, 50s and (just in to) the 60s, but I just can't do it now. Remember, I was part of the gang which took Stoke Summit and Charwelton to Glasgow (both now sold). I think 24' x 8' is possible to take around with three mates. Given some luck, if I (we) build it, it'll see me into my 80s, assuming, say, a decade's lifespan for a layout on the circuit. That's if there'll still be a circuit by then. I'm certainly not alone in being part of a group which has seen its 'best' days with regard to exhibiting layouts. In fact, as I look around at shows, the likes of myself (born just after the War) make up a very large percentage of exhibitors and punters. Life is finite, and a 'fit' life as one gets older is guaranteed to nobody. I recall hardly going to bed at some shows, drinking (and shouting!) right into the wee small hours. Now, come 10.00 pm I'm knackered and good for nothing. The Monday after a show, I'm useless for anything except dozing. 

It would be nice to have one more exhibition layout in me, though. If it's Kiveton Park, great. If not, it's operating LB with some wonderful friends (and still building locos and stock, because I enjoy it). 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4

I am very pleased to say that after following the advice from this thread, using Epoxy to join the two halfs of the gearbox then soldering half of a hairclip to join the motor to the chassis in the right position.  This evening I managed to run the loco back and forward along my test track multiple times running smoothly.  Just need to line the tender, add handrails to the loco and its ready to enter service.

Its been an interesting challenge, certainly a lot more fun than just opening a box and putting it on the track.  

blogentry-54-0-93736000-1515526849.jpeg

Now to start on a chassis for my Saint...

Good progress, Rich.

I've just put the frames together today for another A2/3 and the chassis is now a runner. I'll post pictures tomorrow. 

• RMweb Premium

Archie, 

You're not prying at all. Little Bytham is staying. 

The idea is to build Kiveton Park in my garage. Having got rid of my daft car, I thought I'd then have the space, only for my elder son to fill it with a Rover 2500 (or something like that). I'm assured it's temporary residence. 

We'll see.............................

I hanker after having an exhibition layout again where I've done a lot of the work. I help out with Grantham from time to time (for which I've built locos and I'm painting the backscene), but the wonderful work on that is down to Graham Nicholas, with help from others. 

I have to be pragmatic. I've done my time with WMRC lugging large layouts around - fine when one is in the 30s, 40s, 50s and (just in to) the 60s, but I just can't do it now. Remember, I was part of the gang which took Stoke Summit and Charwelton to Glasgow (both now sold). I think 24' x 8' is possible to take around with three mates. Given some luck, if I (we) build it, it'll see me into my 80s, assuming, say, a decade's lifespan for a layout on the circuit. That's if there'll still be a circuit by then. I'm certainly not alone in being part of a group which has seen its 'best' days with regard to exhibiting layouts. In fact, as I look around at shows, the likes of myself (born just after the War) make up a very large percentage of exhibitors and punters. Life is finite, and a 'fit' life as one gets older is guaranteed to nobody. I recall hardly going to bed at some shows, drinking (and shouting!) right into the wee small hours. Now, come 10.00 pm I'm knackered and good for nothing. The Monday after a show, I'm useless for anything except dozing. 

It would be nice to have one more exhibition layout in me, though. If it's Kiveton Park, great. If not, it's operating LB with some wonderful friends (and still building locos and stock, because I enjoy it). 

Regards,

Tony. 

and singing...

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif Gentlemen, this plate has been in my family for about 50yrs any ideas what it came off?

According to brdatabase, and if I am reading it correctly, it is from diesel shunter No.8002. Not glamorous but interesting all he same.

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&id=15002&type=D&loco=8002

Thank you for that information. I wonder how long that shunter was at Woodford Halse?

According to all the info it never worked anywhere near Woodford Halse, though the auction house GCRA are based there which would be the best and most profitable way of selling it!

Tony

Well thanks for all that. The mystery deepens as I picked it up at Woodford after the shed had closed and it was on a pile of scrap. With lots of old nonferrous pipe etc; I would think from the stores, but before the demolition started and the locos had all gone. A very sad scene.