RMweb

Wright writes.....

Thank you for the trolley bus pictures. Interestingly a number of Ipswich ones went north when the system was taken down and they served a few more years with Walsall and Bradford. Environmentally clean and quietly efficient. 

I have spent some time in the last week when it has been wet outside, looking at a number of model magazines of recent date. I come from an era when we avidly looked forward to the publication of the Railway Modeller each month and savoured the Railway of the Month. The often grainy black and white pictures showed model layouts which were unattainable to us whose idea of scale was the awful Wrenn track system. Upon reading this current crop, I find that I would not have the same enthusiasm despite the fact that the productions are full colour and streets ahead of what we were offered back in the day. There is an overweening sameness to them partially as they all have "reviews" of  the latest trade offerings or proposals which, if you read them, are often not reviews at all but rather publicity "puffs". As to the layouts there are indeed some who still have the power to thrill and inspire but many fail so to do. Whatever happened to the drawings and the technical articles which used to be a staple in days gone by?

On the technical front, try as I do to comprehend the digital world, I am flummoxed by it and the many systems and gizmos that seem to be needed to get it all to work. It seems we now need power districts and stay alive bits and bobs (stay alive would be a useful health product I feel!). Some of the costs involved are quite eye watering too and probably out of reach for many on low or fixed incomes.

One development that seems to have "legs" is radio control battery power. Has anyone here any practical experience of this that they would be prepared to share with us?

(I like the Crab but they look so ungainly!)

Martin Long

Martin,

I'd share your views in the main about the current model press. However, (abstracting the fact that I've got articles in each this month) both BRM and the Railway Modeller feature layouts which are far removed from mainstream RTR and, to me, are what railway modelling should be all about. There's not an RTR layout at all in BRM and only two in the RM (though one is prominent on the front cover). 

I think the editorial teams on both mags should be congratulated for featuring something different (and inspiring?) this time around, though, as you observe, the review and new products pages suit the box-openers more. In fairness, this is how the hobby's been going for some time. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

l've often wondered why trolleybus systems haven't been considered (with the exception of the on/off proposed Leeds one IIRC) when tramway systems are ruled out through expense.

Whereas, I understand that Wellington (NZ) has very recently; (November 2017);  abandoned its remaining trolleybus routes.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/98394485/wellingtons-trolley-buses-take-last-ride-after-transport-minister-says-he-wont-save-them

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

I have had to have a giggle.

On one hand there is...The railways are ruined with the change to electric traction with that unsightly OLE.

On the other there is ...Ahhh lovely trolley buses . Electric traction with unsightly OLE? 

I suppose if it is nostalgic then must have been good. 

I don't know if the locals in Ipswich still call the local buses "Trolleys". When I lived there in 70s the corporation buses were "Trolleys" and the red Eastern Counties buses were "Buses". The corporation buses terminated at Electric House.

• Like 3

We're very well, thanks Dave.

That Crab of yours is a beautifully-natural model, one of the finest I've seen of the class (in any scale/gauge). May I make one observation, please? I've never seen a real Crab with cabside numbers that small. There are two shots of 42790 in Irwell's recent 'Book of the Crabs' (on page 245) and both show the normal (8"?) type. I know some Scottish-based Crabs had even larger numbers in BR days (applied by St. Rollox?), but none shows anything quite so small. My observation is based on the amount of space between the vertical lining and the first and last digits. 

Regards,

Tony.

I've told him this a hundred times!

Chas

Edited by ScRSG

Clive

Your memories are correct but stranger still the old 'uns called the trolley buses trams and they went in the 1920's. I tried without sucess to get my gran to call the trolleys by their correct name but it did not work.

Martin

• Like 1

Tony,

Nobody need apologise for turning this thread to anything they like (other than puerile insults or dictatorial statements). It's part of what makes this thread so active and interesting.

I think trolleybuses are wonderful creations, though I cannot remember any from my youth to any great extent. Chester never had any (and its trams disappeared pre-War), and Sheffield had trams when I was a kid. Did Rotherham ever have any? Liverpool had trams. I seem to recall trolleybuses at Doncaster; am I right? The ones at Wolverhampton had long gone before I made it my home, though roadside stanchions remained for many years (some might still). 

I seem to recall seeing trolleybuses in Manchester in the early 1960s when on my way to the speedway at Belle Vue.

Frank

Thank you for the trolley bus pictures. Interestingly a number of Ipswich ones went north when the system was taken down and they served a few more years with Walsall and Bradford. Environmentally clean and quietly efficient. 

I have spent some time in the last week when it has been wet outside, looking at a number of model magazines of recent date. I come from an era when we avidly looked forward to the publication of the Railway Modeller each month and savoured the Railway of the Month. The often grainy black and white pictures showed model layouts which were unattainable to us whose idea of scale was the awful Wrenn track system. Upon reading this current crop, I find that I would not have the same enthusiasm despite the fact that the productions are full colour and streets ahead of what we were offered back in the day. There is an overweening sameness to them partially as they all have "reviews" of  the latest trade offerings or proposals which, if you read them, are often not reviews at all but rather publicity "puffs". As to the layouts there are indeed some who still have the power to thrill and inspire but many fail so to do. Whatever happened to the drawings and the technical articles which used to be a staple in days gone by?

On the technical front, try as I do to comprehend the digital world, I am flummoxed by it and the many systems and gizmos that seem to be needed to get it all to work. It seems we now need power districts and stay alive bits and bobs (stay alive would be a useful health product I feel!). Some of the costs involved are quite eye watering too and probably out of reach for many on low or fixed incomes.

One development that seems to have "legs" is radio control battery power. Has anyone here any practical experience of this that they would be prepared to share with us?

Martin Long

I agree with you about waiting eagerly for the Railway Modeller. One of the layouts featured (in the erly 70s) which really made an impression on me was Burdale. The most recent issue of the Modeller has a feature on Dentdale, made by one of the Burdale team. Very nostalgic!

Frank

I agree with you about waiting eagerly for the Railway Modeller. One of the layouts featured (in the erly 70s) which really made an impression on me was Burdale. The most recent issue of the Modeller has a feature on Dentdale, made by one of the Burdale team. Very nostalgic!

Frank

Frank,

I agree; I think the feature on Dent in the current issue of Railway Modeller is one of the most interesting layouts I've seen in many a long day. It really is a bit of a 'throwback' to the past, with many locos (and I assume stock) built from kits or from scratch; how refreshing at a time when (in my opinion) far too many featured layouts are just 'swamped' with RTR stuff. The mention of Jamieson 'hand-cut' kits brought back so many personal model-making memories! 

One might question the position of some of the lamps displayed, but the whole thing was a return to 'proper' railway modelling in my view (and not just the stock). The sort of thing which I used to devour all those years ago in my 'formative' years in railway modelling. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

I have had to have a giggle.

On one hand there is...The railways are ruined with the change to electric traction with that unsightly OLE.

On the other there is ...Ahhh lovely trolley buses . Electric traction with unsightly OLE? 

I suppose if it is nostalgic then must have been good. 

I don't know if the locals in Ipswich still call the local buses "Trolleys". When I lived there in 70s the corporation buses were "Trolleys" and the red Eastern Counties buses were "Buses". The corporation buses terminated at Electric House.

I think I giggled, too, Clive,

However, the overhead electrification of a railway 'destroys' its original identity in a far greater way than any trolleybus or tram OLE did (does) for towns and cities. I don't recall any historic overbridges being demolished in our towns/cities to accommodate trolleybuses or trams. 

Has it happened more recently, with more modern trams? Granted, there are far fewer (road) bridges over roads than over railways, but the loss of so many typical GNR bridges (and NER/NBR) because of the ECML's electrification was a visual 'disaster' in my view. Necessary, of course, because they weren't tall enough, but they lived in harmony with their environment (often built from local materials) in a way concrete finds impossible. 

• RMweb Gold

Here is said 6-wheeler on a running day:

attachicon.gifSJPAB9A093502170520.jpg

Lots of other stuff there, both from LT and other operators.

Tony

Ah, a reminder of part of my regular shed bashing circuit in north west London in years long gone by.  How else would you get from Willesden to Neasden (yes, that long ago) and Cricklewood but by trolleybus?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

l've often wondered why trolleybus systems haven't been considered (with the exception of the on/off proposed Leeds one IIRC) when tramway systems are ruled out through expense.

Trolleybus systems are making a comeback in the USA.. San Francisco has a fairly extensive system of OLE - powered buses (they start where the cable cars, and trolleys, leave off), as does Seattle.

post-18225-0-99705200-1519147166_thumb.jpg

I wonder why Thompson's Pacifics are popular as models? This must be (at least) the 20th A2/2 I've built (mainly for customers), and it will be (yet another) THANE OF FIFE. So far, this represents less than a day's work. I've got another to build, which I'll be starting before carrying on with this one (batch-building is more economical in terms of time). The next will be a further WOLF OF BADENOCH. 

post-18225-0-91907400-1519147374_thumb.jpg

I suppose the collective noun for this group of A2/2s would be class; any other suggestions? The un-painted, finished one is to be another THANE OF FIFE (it goes off to be painted next week), built for a friend. 60506 is the second production build from the DJH kit, 60504 is the first independent build from the Crownline kit and 60501 is the prototype for the DJH kit. All have been painted by Ian Rathbone. The new one sits alongside for comparison. 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I have a scratchbuilt motorized chassis in P4 which has the correct driving wheel size at the correct spacing for an A2 according to the 'Beattie locos to scale' book (l'm assuming that these are accurate).

This actually was the chassis fitted under an odd scale cast Britannia (Trix 3.8mm to the foot) but of course all the valve gear is wrong for an A2.

Can anybody advize me on an appropriate valve gear etch please.

I have a nickel-silver body (Jamieson) to fit it.

Many thanks.

I suppose the collective noun for this group of A2/2s would be class; any other suggestions?

Tony, that's an invitation to devilment. With the "anything but a Thompson" crew, plus followers of alternative ways of getting to Scotland on this topic suggestions may not all be genteel.

attachicon.gifDJH A2 2 01.jpg

I wonder why Thompson's Pacifics are popular as models? This must be (at least) the 20th A2/2 I've built (mainly for customers), and it will be (yet another) THANE OF FIFE. So far, this represents less than a day's work. I've got another to build, which I'll be starting before carrying on with this one (batch-building is more economical in terms of time). The next will be a further WOLF OF BADENOCH. 

attachicon.gifA2 2s.jpg

I suppose the collective noun for this group of A2/2s would be class; any other suggestions? The un-painted, finished one is to be another THANE OF FIFE (it goes off to be painted next week), built for a friend. 60506 is the second production build from the DJH kit, 60504 is the first independent build from the Crownline kit and 60501 is the prototype for the DJH kit. All have been painted by Ian Rathbone. The new one sits alongside for comparison. 

Evening Tony,

what you have there is a Wolf pack, then there are the 'orphans' and the 'E.T.s.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Trolleybus systems are making a comeback in the USA.. San Francisco has a fairly extensive system of OLE - powered buses (they start where the cable cars, and trolleys, leave off), as does Seattle.

They have closed the trolleybus system down in Wellington NZ and replaced them with buses from Optare in Leeds!

The Leeds proposal was never going to work as the roads aren't wide enough..which was one of the reasons they closed the tram system down...

• RMweb Premium

Tony

If you haven't booked your flights yet, and from our experience recently along with those of our youngest son fly Emirates. They didn't screw up our flights/bookings (BA did), they didn't run out of food (Cathay did) and the A380 is far more comfortable than a Boeing.

Baz

• Like 3

Tony

If you haven't booked your flights yet, and from our experience recently along with those of our youngest son fly Emirates. They didn't screw up our flights/bookings (BA did), they didn't run out of food (Cathay did) and the A380 is far more comfortable than a Boeing.

Baz

When I fly (regularly) to the states, BA is my favoured airline, Maybe longer, long haul are beyond them ;)

In my view BA is Best Avoided!

I remember trolley buses in Ilford, Essex. The trolley bus depot was in Ley Street which was previously a tram depot - in my young day the tram rails were still to be seen.

Michael

• RMweb Premium

Tony

Baz

Try Singapore Airlines, the A350-900 is more comfortable than the A380 or any Boeing we've been on.

In my view BA is Best Avoided!

I remember trolley buses in Ilford, Essex. The trolley bus depot was in Ley Street which was previously a tram depot - in my young day the tram rails were still to be seen.

Michael

Certainly avoid the US airlines if travelling to the states. Over the last 3 years every bad flight has been with other than BA. Can only speak as i find, but in 30+ transatlantic flights BA will be my first choice.

Tony, that's an invitation to devilment. With the "anything but a Thompson" crew, plus followers of alternative ways of getting to Scotland on this topic suggestions may not all be genteel.

Well, we have a pride of lions I believe?

How about a Pride of Thompsons?

Stewart  

:tease: 

• Like 2

I have a scratchbuilt motorized chassis in P4 which has the correct driving wheel size at the correct spacing for an A2 according to the 'Beattie locos to scale' book (l'm assuming that these are accurate).

This actually was the chassis fitted under an odd scale cast Britannia (Trix 3.8mm to the foot) but of course all the valve gear is wrong for an A2.

Can anybody advize me on an appropriate valve gear etch please.

I have a nickel-silver body (Jamieson) to fit it.

Many thanks.

John,

I assume it's an A2 (Peppercorn) you have a set of frames for. Though the coupled wheelbase is the same, the chassis for an A2/2 is very different at the front end. 

Dave Ellis of SE Finecast does a complete set of motion for his A2 kit, which he'll sell separately. I don't know whether Comet does a set, but, if they do, that'll be very good as well.

With regard to Ian Beattie's drawings, treat them with suspicion indeed. Though very-well presented, those for the LNER are riddled with detail errors - a flat front to an A4 cab and a banjo dome on a V2 for instance, among many others. I can't speak for his other works, but the LNER ones aren't that good. 

It's a long time since I flew to the states - first time was with Caledonian, twice with BA - all were good back then (late 80's-90's).

We regularly fly to Thailand and have tried quite a few airlines & routes (via various changes in Europe) - no real complaints but I absolutely hate Heathrow and try to avoid at all costs. We now fly Emirates Manchester - Dubai (7 & a half hours) then a 2-3 hour wait and on to Bangkok (6 hours). The mid journey break is most welcome, and Dubai airport is clean, new, well signed and plenty of shops etc to browse. If you are flying on to OZ the second flight (to Sydney) is a nearly 14 hour non stop slog. Emirates fly from Birminghan also to Dubai so there may be a better departure option. I like the A380 - a superb aircraft (even in cattle class).

Re Trolleybuses, Wigan did not have any but nearby Hindley did - the old LUT (Lancashire United Transport) and it's predecessor SLT (South Lancashire Transport). They finished in 1958 as everything was time worn, buses replaced the trolleybuses. Quite a large network to Leigh, St Helens Hindley Atherton Walkden and Manchester.

http://lths.lutsociety.org.uk/library/PDF-010-1.pdf

Just why the Trolleybus fell out of favour I do not know. They would be superb today, especially with today's technology just the main route needs to be wired, batteries taking over in city & town centres. Little infrastructure needed, just string up wires from lamp posts, no digging the street up to lay tracks etc etc. Quiet clean and green(ish !!).

Bring back the trolleybus !!!!

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Martin Long

RM has started publishing scale drawings regularly again.