RMweb

Wright writes.....

So what are those little floaters one gets in ones (or both!) eyes then? 

Can they be removed?

Tom,

I'm told they come with getting older, although they can occur in younger eyes. 

As the eyeball ages (Graeme King will tell you chapter and verse about this), the material in the eyeball changes, and drags tiny specks of detritus away from the wall of the eye. These literally float about inside the eye, between the lens and the retina, giving the impression of wiggling tadpoles. They're more of a nuisance, rather than an impediment to (my) sight, and certainly don't prevent me from modelling. I'm told that, in time, they could sink to the bottom of the eye. Or, more could appear. They occur through getting older, or a bump to the head (boxers really suffer with them, I'm told) or even a sneeze! 

Can they be removed? I don't know. Someone said they can by zapped by lasers, or, in extreme cases, the fluid in the eye can be changed. No thank you, I'll wait until mine turn into frogs and hop away. 

By the way, we're flying with your airline in September...................

• Like 1

Morning Tony

Thank you for your comments,I removed the cladding after reading it on here it’s on my previous A1 like I’ve said before there’s always something to learn on these pages , as for the little pipe that comes down the front of the cab I’ve copied the position from the phot of Kestrel inYeadon’smy eyes show it going though the footplate just at the start of the curve.

Thank you all for the response to the Optivisor I wear glasses for driving don’t need them for reading or writing this but I’ve found using a magnifying glass a very useful tool but I need three hands !! So with a birthday approaching my beloved is going to treat me to one BUT the cheaper one (from advert in magazine) comes with three different lenses whereas the dearest one which I think looks like it maybe more steady on your head you need to choose from six lenses and I’am not sure which one to go for ? I think a phone call and see what they advise.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis,

If the position of the wiggly pipe is correct, just remove the cast-on one from the Cartazzi frame and add another further forward. 

Originally, the dripping pipe used to empty over the axlebox on this side, causing problems. That's why it was kinked and moved forward. 

• RMweb Premium

Tom,

I'm told they come with getting older, although they can occur in younger eyes. 

As the eyeball ages (Graeme King will tell you chapter and verse about this), the material in the eyeball changes, and drags tiny specks of detritus away from the wall of the eye. These literally float about inside the eye, between the lens and the retina, giving the impression of wiggling tadpoles. They're more of a nuisance, rather than an impediment to (my) sight, and certainly don't prevent me from modelling. I'm told that, in time, they could sink to the bottom of the eye. Or, more could appear. They occur through getting older, or a bump to the head (boxers really suffer with them, I'm told) or even a sneeze! 

Can they be removed? I don't know. Someone said they can by zapped by lasers, or, in extreme cases, the fluid in the eye can be changed. No thank you, I'll wait until mine turn into frogs and hop away. 

By the way, we're flying with your airline in September...................

Thank you Tony. The things you learn on this thread!  :) I've had the floaters for years but they see to come and go, hence I've always forgotten to mention them to an optician. I notice them more if I've inadvertently looked directly at a bright light.

I've had one for abut 30 years on the lower edge of my peripheral vision so if I try to see it, it appears to slowly sink out of view. Hadn't thought about it for years - till now.

Graeme

• RMweb Gold

I became aware of a floater in my right peripheral vision about four years ago, when I went from working at a desk with the light coming predominantly from the left, to one where the light was coming from the right. I did get it checked out but was told there was nothing (in my case) to be concerned about.

Al

I'm extremely reluctant to say much about floating spots and similar anomalies in vision because the process of identifying correctly the occasional cases of "sinister" rather than harmless floaters is an optician's nightmare and an ambulance-chasing lawyer's paradise.

This is what the NHS website says:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/floaters-and-flashes-in-the-eyes/

BUT, I peronally would strongly suggest that if you have read (fully and carefully) and understood that page  (rather than skimming it and jumping to a false conclusion) and you then have any suspicion that nature of your "floaters" fits one of the "may not be normal" categories as implied by that web page, then your local A & E unit is the place to go, immediately, with a view to being expertly assessed by an ophthalmologist. I certainly DO NOT advise you to expect your optician to carry the responsibility for deciding whether you are safe or at risk, and I don't believe that a telephone consultation with an adviser is a satisfactory alternative.

If you suspect that your floaters are not the normal safe ones, then definitely DO NOT simply book a routine optician's appointment for a "sight test" and then "spring" your concerns on the optician after you arrive, or worse still when he has already started a routine examination. He won't thank you for putting him in the midst of a problem for which he may not be prepared and which he may not therefore have time to deal with correctly. Unlike A & E units, opticians are probably not routinely set up for dealing with potential emergencies - they may need time to prepare before dealing with the unusual. Don't ask your optician "just to have a quick look" either - that's not a realistic request. You may end up suffering un-necessarily if you don't arrange to get the right sort of examination. I've even had people in the past who have saved mention of highly suspicious disturbances of their vision until the very end of a consultation that has already taken up far more than the nominal time allowance, and while others are also clearly waiting to for the optician's attention! It's beyond belief! If you suspect trouble, make your suspicions clear from the very beginning of any request for advice, examination or help.

Edited by gr.king

• RMweb Premium

Floaters - had them for years and they don't, normally, bother me. If I notice one I tend to be aware of it for a short while until I ignore it again.

I'm short sighted but, as I age, I need less correction for that. The main issue though is my astigmatism which does change and has done so a bit in the last couple of years. That reminds me, my annual opticians visit is due, add that to dentist, blood donors and doctors on Monday of next week it is all going to get a bit busy for a few days.

If anybody is really bothered they could learn by having a careful look at definitions and explanations of hypermetropia (true long sightedness, a possibility at any age, and not in all cases a bar to seeing clearly at any normal viewing range) and of presbyopia (close focussing difficulty only evident as the eye ages, and widely described incorrectly as long sightedness, even by professionals who should know better but who have to communicate with those who know nothing about the subject in terms that are familiar to those people). It is perfectly possible to have both conditions.

Short sightedness or myopia is not difficult to define or explain - you can't see clearly in the distance, but you can at close range, unless you have other problems too, such as presbyopia in or after middle age.....

Let's not get into discussion of astigmatism too......

I can tick pretty much all the boxes there, being long-sighted in one eye, short-sighted in the other, having difficultly with close focusing - especially computer screens - and having an astigmatism. Oh, and my optician tells me I'm on the way to cataracts too, but nothing to worry about for 15 years at least.

Regular eye tests and top quality varifocals (don't go to Specsavers) for me. I have two different types of varifocal, both full range but with one being optimised for reading and computer screens, and good for modelling, and the others being more general purpose but also fine for reading. Lots of people tell me they tried varifocals and couldn't get on with them to which my responses is try better quality ones. One of my colleagues went for the budget option then tried better lenses and they made a huge difference on what was the same basic prescription.

The one railway modelling thing I have found to be very awkward is connecting up wires under a baseboard. When I look up, I'm looking through the distance part of my lenses so I have to turn my head sideways to get to the right bit of the lens.

• RMweb Premium

I can tick pretty much all the boxes there, being long-sighted in one eye, short-sighted in the other, having difficultly with close focusing - especially computer screens - and having an astigmatism. Oh, and my optician tells me I'm on the way to cataracts too, but nothing to worry about for 15 years at least.

Regular eye tests and top quality varifocals (don't go to Specsavers) for me. I have two different types of varifocal, both full range but with one being optimised for reading and computer screens, and good for modelling, and the others being more general purpose but also fine for reading. Lots of people tell me they tried varifocals and couldn't get on with them to which my responses is try better quality ones. One of my colleagues went for the budget option then tried better lenses and they made a huge difference on what was the same basic prescription.

The one railway modelling thing I have found to be very awkward is connecting up wires under a baseboard. When I look up, I'm looking through the distance part of my lenses so I have to turn my head sideways to get to the right bit of the lens.

I also struggle with the wiring thing.   It was solved easily after a chat with my sister in law who is an optician.   I went to Asda and bought 2 pairs of 3.5 reading glasses for £2. They work a treat if I have to go under the baseboard.

Jamie

I also struggle with the wiring thing.   It was solved easily after a chat with my sister in law who is an optician.   I went to Asda and bought 2 pairs of 3.5 reading glasses for £2. They work a treat if I have to go under the baseboard.

Jamie

Hi,

I find that if I clip a pair of x3 magnifying glasses (Eileen’s Emporium) onto my varifocals then I can work on stuff under the baseboards no problem.

Regards,

Frank

Arrgh under the baseboards! An uncharted land where dragons and worse roam and there are so many traps for the unwary. I often think as one is stuck there trying to get wire and solder and hot irons to work their magic and defy the laws of gravity, how much easier it is for the folk down under where the laws work in reverse. That is why the Australians developed the magnetic track thingy so their locos would stay on the rails!  Of course with DCC it is all so much easier with only two wires under the baseboards.

Martin Long

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Arrgh under the baseboards! An uncharted land where dragons and worse roam and there are so many traps for the unwary. I often think as one is stuck there trying to get wire and solder and hot irons to work their magic and defy the laws of gravity, how much easier it is for the folk down under where the laws work in reverse. That is why the Australians developed the magnetic track thingy so their locos would stay on the rails!  Of course with DCC it is all so much easier with only two wires under the baseboards.

Martin Long

You echo my thoughts Martin, it's not that Robert has the wrong eyes, he's got the wrong wires!

Mike.

A cautionary tale.....under my baseboards this morning... These are situated lower than really comfortable to get maximum width for my loft based layout. The boards are under the eaves , I under the boards soldering a loose connection to my tortoise point motor. My antex 25 w iron in hand....zap the unmistakable jolt of mains electricity hitting the hand holding the iron. In my awkward attempt to reach the point motor...over extended the lead...pulled out the bottom of the iron...the two main wires pulled off the element...both touching my hand leaving what appears to be a snake bite.

New antex ordered on Amazon...older by the grace of the almighty...hopefully wiser..?

I was lucky enoughto see Tim's loco at Ally Pally today - it really is something very special. 

I was lucky enough to see Mons Meg yesterday as well and can only echo Polybear's comment, it really is a fantastic feat of modelling by Tim.

So what are those little floaters one gets in ones (or both!) eyes then? 

Can they be removed?

II do not claim to have any optical knowledge - but that admission out of the way, I have a couple of friends who have suffered from 'Floaters.' in their eyes.

Both say that they've received successful treatment with LASER. surgery by an ophthalmologist in a local hospital's ophthalmology dep't. - inexpensive, quick and painless;  but they do have to take eye-drops for several days thereafter.

Usual disclaimer and E&OE..      :locomotive:

Edited by unclebobkt

The laser treatment is usually a means of preventing detachment of a damaged retina rather than a means of eliminating the floaters, the floaters in some worrying cases being evidence of the damage to the retina. The floaters remain in such cases - unless there's another fancy new laser-only procedure that I've not yet learned of.....

Edited by gr.king

I was lucky enough to see Mons Meg yesterday as well and can only echo Polybear's comment, it really is a fantastic feat of modelling by Tim.

I was at Ally Pally this morning and was unlucky enough to miss seeing Mons Meg, which looks wonderful in the photos - one of those models where the scale is not discernible because it looks real.

Also at Ally Pally was a layout based on the railways behind the lines on the western front in WW1.  I felt uneasy about this, and thought the concept was in pretty poor taste, all things considered.  Am I being over-sensitive?  There clearly are historical episodes involving railways which are best left alone, and is this one of them?

Tone

I was at Ally Pally this morning and was unlucky enough to miss seeing Mons Meg, which looks wonderful in the photos - one of those models where the scale is not discernible because it looks real.

Also at Ally Pally was a layout based on the railways behind the lines on the western front in WW1. I felt uneasy about this, and thought the concept was in pretty poor taste, all things considered. Am I being over-sensitive? There clearly are historical episodes involving railways which are best left alone, and is this one of them?

Tone

We saw that layout today. My six year old was very interested as was our friends’ young son. I don’t share that unease in the case of this (excellent) layout. It’s informative with a good gimmick of having an “in trench cameo” built under the baseboard. There’s a few other military layouts around, notably one based on the south coast in 1944. I think called Overlord but wouldn’t swear to it.

The one time I did feel unease was at the Imperial War Museum where there is a very well executed scale model of Auschwitz including the rail access. The association of that terrible place and the modelling, which normally gives me pleasure, left me uneasy. Whilst I thought that model had a place in the IWM’s moving exhibition, I’d certainly not want to see that sort of thing at a model show.

David

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I would say that a behind the lines representation of how railways helped in WW1 would be both interesting and educational.

I do have to agree that the thought of a model of a concentration camp entrance does put a chill down my spine - but we shouldn't forget that it actually happened so there is an argument for it. But agreed - not something to display at a model railway exhibition.

• RMweb Premium

Also at Ally Pally was a layout based on the railways behind the lines on the western front in WW1.  I felt uneasy about this, and thought the concept was in pretty poor taste, all things considered.  Am I being over-sensitive?  There clearly are historical episodes involving railways which are best left alone, and is this one of them?

Tone

We saw that layout today. My six year old was very interested as was our friends’ young son. I don’t share that unease in the case of this (excellent) layout. It’s informative with a good gimmick of having an “in trench cameo” built under the baseboard. There’s a few other military layouts around, notably one based on the south coast in 1944. I think called Overlord but wouldn’t swear to it.

The one time I did feel unease was at the Imperial War Museum where there is a very well executed scale model of Auschwitz including the rail access. The association of that terrible place and the modelling, which normally gives me pleasure, left me uneasy. Whilst I thought that model had a place in the IWM’s moving exhibition, I’d certainly not want to see that sort of thing at a model show.

David

Interesting points and I share your unease, although I can understand the Auschwitz model in the context of the IWM. I think the key thing is that military layouts should be done accurately and with no gimmicks. I feel the same way about war films ie accurately and a true story or not at all.  

One of my other projects at the moment is the writing of an account of my father's experiences in WW2 Burma - a subject of which he refused to speak in detail and so took his memories to the grave. I have spent many days at the National Archives, listened to the accounts of others and spent a fortune on books. Truly, the average person has no idea... the voyage on the troopship would have finished me let alone the horror beyond belief that was to come.