Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

That's hyper pedantic! Surely the GN mainline is part of the ECML, so while the Leeds expresses were not ECML expresses, they were expresses operating on (part of) the ECML.

Even more hyper-pedantic.

There is no such word as 'mainline', except as a brand name. It's main line; two words.

However, I agree with you. 

The Leeds expresses were just as much ECML trains as 'The Master Cutler', and trains made up at places like Doncaster from the East Riding, or trains from such as Sunderland. For the majority of their journeys they ran along the ECML. Certainly, I class all the expresses I run on LB as ECML ones. 

Tony,

A fantastic set of images - thanks for sharing. 

The point I was trying to make was that most ECML/GNML 'primary' expresses had either a Thompson RF/FO combination or Gresley articulated catering cars, but that non-articulated Gresley catering cars were generally on secondary expresses. As such, I'm not sure that your photos are counter examples, partly because

1) the resolution is such that, while I can see that they're not mark one, I'm struggling to identify whether the catering is Thompson or Gresley; and

2) because I suspect that many of your images are of summer Saturday trains - i.e. just the type of secondary express which did get Gresley catering (happy to be proved wrong on this).

​My assertions are based on the carriage workings, and I realise that these do not necessarily reflect what happened on the day. As Andrew said, maintenance requirements would have meant Gresleys substituting from time to time.

​Regards

Andy

Andy, 

If you look at many of the pictures, the cars are carrying roof/cantrail destination boards, so they're principal expresses. 

They might well have been taken (at least some) on summer Saturdays, but I mainly model from photographs, using BR's documents as a guide. Those represent an 'ideal', not always realised. 

Even the 'Elizabethan' had a Gresley RF in one of the sets for the last three years of its running; even Deltic-hauled. 

post-18225-0-69036900-1525713151_thumb.jpg

I think this is the 'North Briton' (definitely a pair of single Gresley catering cars and just as much an ECML express as any other). 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 3

Good afternoon Andy,

'(Cue lots of counter examples!). How many do you want? 

The riding of the Mk. catering cars was abominable; so much so that the single/double Gresley/Thompson catering cars were often to be found in otherwise all Mk.1 ECML sets, into the '60s. 'The White Rose' was one example of a named train made-up in this way. There were many other principal expresses made-up in very similar ways during the late-'50s/early-'60s on the ECML, as I hope the following images show. 

Obviously, because of copyright restrictions, these are very low-res scans, but, I assure you, they are by far the most-typical of the period. 

attachicon.gifECML train 01.jpg

attachicon.gifECML train 04.jpg

attachicon.gifECML train 05.jpg

attachicon.gifECML train 06.jpg

attachicon.gifECML train 07.jpg

attachicon.gifECML train 08.jpg

attachicon.gifECML train 09.jpg

attachicon.gifECML train 10.jpg

attachicon.gifECML train 11.jpg

post-18225-0-80744700-1525700792_thumb.jpg

Hi Tony

Wow you must have a photo of just about every one of the A3 Class, stunning photos of great Pacific locomotives.

Thank you for posting them.

Regards

David

Andy,

Sorry to repeat, but..................

post-18225-0-66783100-1525713421_thumb.jpg

Principal ECML express (note destination boards on carriages - not used on summer-Saturday extras) breasting Stoke Summit. Gresley Pantry Third and Thompson RF. The rest of the train Mk. 1s.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5

That's hyper pedantic! Surely the GN mainline is part of the ECML, so while the Leeds expresses were not ECML expresses, they were expresses operating on (part of) the ECML.

Andy,

yes it sounds pedantic but from an operating point of view the GN main line (not like the model train manufacturer) was its own area that issued it's own timetables, carriage working notices and had its own booked stock seperate from that of the East coast mainline allocation. With relevance to Thompson catering carriages this ment that some were allocated to the GN area and others to the ECML fleets. The West Riding formation would have been part of the GN express services rather than that provided by the ECML fleet.

Hi Tony

Wow you must have a photo of just about every one of the A3 Class, stunning photos of great Pacific locomotives.

Thank you for posting them.

Regards

David

Thanks David,

They are, of course, not my own pictures; hence my insistence on copyright restrictions. 

In the collection, there's a picture of every A3 in BR days.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

Sorry to repeat, but..................

attachicon.gifECML train 14.jpg

Principal ECML express (note destination boards on carriages - not used on summer-Saturday extras) breasting Stoke Summit. Gresley Pantry Third and Thompson RF. The rest of the train Mk. 1s.

Regards,

Tony.

Blimey. What strikes me more than anything from these photographs is how grubby some of these A3’s are. You would be hard pressed to convince someone unfamiliar with the subject that they were painted green!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Even more hyper-pedantic.

There is no such word as 'mainline', except as a brand name. It's main line; two words.

However, I agree with you. 

The Leeds expresses were just as much ECML trains as 'The Master Cutler', and trains made up at places like Doncaster from the East Riding, or trains from such as Sunderland. For the majority of their journeys they ran along the ECML. Certainly, I class all the expresses I run on LB as ECML ones. 

To be hyper hyper pedantic, there is such a word as mainline, although, as I wouldn't expect you to be fluent in drug culture language Tony I'll let you off!

Mike.

Andy,

yes it sounds pedantic but from an operating point of view the GN main line (not like the model train manufacturer) was its own area that issued it's own timetables, carriage working notices and had its own booked stock seperate from that of the East coast mainline allocation. With relevance to Thompson catering carriages this ment that some were allocated to the GN area and others to the ECML fleets. The West Riding formation would have been part of the GN express services rather than that provided by the ECML fleet.

To further muddy the waters, some services would carry stock from both GN and ECML allocations which would then separate en route to serve different destinations. Under the LNER, the ECML was in many respects an Area in its own right.

Thanks David,

They are, of course, not my own pictures; hence my insistence on copyright restrictions. 

In the collection, there's a picture of every A3 in BR days.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony

I know this is being very cheeky but do you happen to have a colour photo of A3 60097 Humorist you could possibly add it would be nice for weathering purposes.

I do have some very nice black and white photos but I cannot find a decent colour photo, I think it must have been one of those A3 that was not photographed very often.

Please tell me to get lost if you think this is over stepping the mark.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Hi Tony

I know this is being very cheeky but do you happen to have a colour photo of A3 60097 Humorist you could possibly add it would be nice for weathering purposes.

I do have some very nice black and white photos but I cannot find a decent colour photo, I think it must have been one of those A3 that was not photographed very often.

Please tell me to get lost if you think this is over stepping the mark.

Regards

David

Good evening David,

Why would anyone tell you to get lost? Least of all me. If I can't help others with their modelling, what's the point of this thread? 

post-18225-0-30990700-1525727654_thumb.jpg

Though in colour, this shot shows hardly any weathering, because HUMORIST has just received her final overhaul at Doncaster. Note, however, that the motion is not shiny. As an aside, note, too, that her tender has spoked wheels. It's also got an A4 boiler.

Even though it's fresh-from-shops, it's not 'perfect'. The deflectors are rippled and the main handrail is bent. Would we replicate such things on a model? Probably not.

post-18225-0-14326700-1525727786_thumb.jpg

Another late overhaul was PRINCE PALATINE. At least this proves that all the cab roof should be black; not, with green eaves, as rendered by Hornby.

I hope these help.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Andy, 

If you look at many of the pictures, the cars are carrying roof/cantrail destination boards, so they're principal expresses. 

They might well have been taken (at least some) on summer Saturdays, but I mainly model from photographs, using BR's documents as a guide. Those represent an 'ideal', not always realised. 

Even the 'Elizabethan' had a Gresley RF in one of the sets for the last three years of its running; even Deltic-hauled. 

attachicon.gifECML train 15.jpg

I think this is the 'North Briton' (definitely a pair of single Gresley catering cars and just as much an ECML express as any other). 

Regards,

Tony.

You learn something every day - I never knew that extra summer Saturday trains did not have roof boards.

Looks like I’ve got an excuse to run more Gresley RF/RSPs!

By the way I love photos 6 and 16 both with Woolwinder but on different trains which show a Thompson PV restaurant car. It’s nice to see one of these in use other than on the Elizabethan. Especially as the Southern Pride kits for them are so easy to make.

Andy

To be hyper hyper pedantic, there is such a word as mainline, although, as I wouldn't expect you to be fluent in drug culture language Tony I'll let you off!

Mike.

That's very kind of you Mike.

Since my guide to words is the OED, rather than some spaced-out jibberish used by those with addled brains, I'm happy to remain ignorant of the word 'mainline'. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

I take your point from a stock allocation POV. But as Tony says, if you’re modelling that wonderful railway that was the ECML you need both types of expresses (and a lot more besides).

Good evening David,

Why would anyone tell you to get lost? Least of all me. If I can't help others with their modelling, what's the point of this thread? 

attachicon.gife1185 60097 small.jpg

Though in colour, this shot shows hardly any weathering, because HUMORIST has just received her final overhaul at Doncaster. Note, however, that the motion is not shiny. As an aside, note, too, that her tender has spoked wheels. 

attachicon.gife1142 60052 small.jpg

Another late overhaul was PRINCE PALATINE. At least this proves that all the cab roof should be black; not, with green eaves, as rendered by Hornby.

I hope these help.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony

Many thanks that really is a nice photo of 60097 Humorist, being a Haymarket loco I am sure she was often seen in that condition in the late 1950's.

I was not aware the tender had spoked wheels and also that the cab roof was painted entirely black and not as you say as produced on Hornby A3's.

The matt Black paint mixed with a little Gunmetal will be out tomorrow to put thins right.

Thank you again for taking the time to download the photos.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 1

Tony,

A fantastic set of images - thanks for sharing. 

The point I was trying to make was that most ECML/GNML 'primary' expresses had either a Thompson RF/FO combination or Gresley articulated catering cars, but that non-articulated Gresley catering cars were generally on secondary expresses. As such, I'm not sure that your photos are counter examples, partly because

1) the resolution is such that, while I can see that they're not mark one, I'm struggling to identify whether the catering is Thompson or Gresley; and

2) because I suspect that many of your images are of summer Saturday trains - i.e. just the type of secondary express which did get Gresley catering (happy to be proved wrong on this).

​My assertions are based on the carriage workings, and I realise that these do not necessarily reflect what happened on the day. As Andrew said, maintenance requirements would have meant Gresleys substituting from time to time.

​Regards

Andy

Evening Andy,

I have a querrie with regard to the CWN's. How do you tell a Gresley RF from a Thompson one? A genuine question as i've never really looked. One thought that is probably worth mentioning is that by the mid fifties a lot of the Gresley RF's were reclassified as RU, so that they could be set out as first or third (or second later) dining as required. I should have another look through the CWN's for 18 seat 43 ton RU's and see what you come up with. Finaly, I'm not certain what constitutes a secondary express? What is the definition?

Edited for dining.

Edited by Headstock

• RMweb Premium

... set out as first or third (or second later) dinning as required.

As pedantry seems to be in vogue at present, one dines in a dining car.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Evening Andy,

I have a querrie with regard to the CWN's. How do you tell a Gresley RF from a Thompson one? A genuine question as i've never really looked. One thought that is probably worth mentioning is that by the mid fifties a lot of the Gresley RF's were reclassified as RU, so that they could be set out as first or third (or second later) dining as required. I should have another look through the CWN's for 18 seat 43 ton RU's and see what you come up with. Finaly, I'm not certain what constitutes a secondary express? What is the definition?

Edited for dining.

I’m not sure there is a strict definition of secondary express. I’d tend to say that principal expresses were the named trains, plus the key West Riding and NE/ Scotland expresses (e.g. 5:35pm to Newcastle/ Saltburn in 1958). Secondary expresses are everything else including Hull/ Cleethorpes and reliefs/ FO / SO Trains. Anyone have a better definition?

As for telling a Thompson RF from the carriage workings, weight is the only way I know and looking again I think I got it wrong. There are some at 43 tons (mainly West Riding), some at 44 tons (mainly ECML) and a few at 38 tons. I’d assumed that 43 and 44 tons were both Thompson and 38 was Gresley, but I think that maybe 44 tons is Thompson, 43 Gresley diagram 10C (and 144?) and 38 tons earlier Gresley versions. Is that possible?

Sorry for any confusion I’ve caused.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I’m not sure there is a strict definition of secondary express. I’d tend to say that principal expresses were the named trains, plus the key West Riding and NE/ Scotland expresses (e.g. 5:35pm to Newcastle/ Saltburn in 1958). Secondary expresses are everything else including Hull/ Cleethorpes and reliefs/ FO / SO Trains. Anyone have a better definition?

Andy

Yes the term does seem open to interpretation, particularly as over time more and more trains were given names to raise their profile. Basically, If it wasn’t a principal express, but ran with a headlamp above both buffers, it could be termed a secondary express, with higher running priority and usually better catering facilities compared to the normal fast and semi-fast services. They often serviced more intermediate stations on the main line than the crack services, or were the fastest trains timetabled on a secondary route. They often comprised older prestige stock cascaded from the top flight trains. The term also embraces relief trains for the crack services, and some of the cross country services run jointly with the other companies/regions.

Open to correction/supplementation, as always,

Phil

Edited by Chamby

As for telling a Thompson RF from the carriage workings, weight is the only way I know and looking again I think I got it wrong. There are some at 43 tons (mainly West Riding), some at 44 tons (mainly ECML) and a few at 38 tons. I’d assumed that 43 and 44 tons were both Thompson and 38 was Gresley, but I think that maybe 44 tons is Thompson, 43 Gresley diagram 10C (and 144?) and 38 tons earlier Gresley versions. Is that possible?

Sorry for any confusion I’ve caused.

Andy

Thanks for the reply Andy,

no need to apologise, this stuff is enough to bamboozle cage full of monkeys. I've just spent an hour looking at diagram books and the CWN's for the 1958 weekdays  GN main line, I came to the same conclusion as yourself, that the Gresley RF's are the 43 ton carriages, (I kind of new this already) while the Thompson's are the 44 ton carriages. There are lots of other catering types, kitchen Cars, Triplets, Twins and variations on Buffets, however the Gresley RF's run in more expresses than anything else, although as a small percentage of the whole.

With regard to secondary expresses, I haven't got a clue what it actually means, its just a phrase you here, I don't recall it being used in any official document but I couldn't say for sure. My own opinion, for what it's worth, is that I wouldn't describe any train that had a full Restaurant service as secondary whether that be by Gresley or Thompson RF. What about express trains that have no catering provision, are they third rank? Speed might be part of the equation, however, as I mentioned my next door neighbour would always travel by the Yorkshire Pullman, 'not the fastest way to get to London', he would say, 'but the best train on the line bar none'. Fascinating stuff and an interesting conversation.

• RMweb Premium

Having slept on this, I’m sure that I found a picture of one of the trains with a 43 ton RF and it had a Thompson RF....hence my supposition. Of course, it could have been a different year or an on the day variation. Did I write it down or bookmark it...of course not!

I think your definition of secondary works pretty well, provided that buffet cars count as not being full catering (this fits the Cleethorpes and Cambridge services but promotes the Hull to principal express).

• RMweb Premium

Secondary express,

Limited or no catering,

Fewer coaches,

Slower speed,

Older stock,

Stops at places you don't want to go,

Worse of all has a smaller and older class of locomotive on the front.

• Like 1