RMweb

Wright writes.....

Nothing to do with the camera angle, David, or lens aberrations and all that twaddle.

MALLARD's reversing lever is bent, and just needs straightening. It's etched brass and has got twisted in handling.

Not only that, her front numberplate has the correct '6', when it should have the incorrect, curly-tailed sort, and either the loco is leaning too far one way or the tender the other (or both are).

It's no good blaming cameras for out-of-kilter modelling, especially the powerful ones I use.

Regards,

Tony.

I only noticed the reverser. Proscale kit? Regarding a4 names such a shame that so many bird names were lost. Edited by davidw

Alas I never saw a LNER pacific in full flight. By the time I "got over there" (York & ECML) it was all over. Nearly all over for steam also (certainly in Yorkshire) when I visited the West Riding sheds on a BTEG (British Transport Enthusiasts Guild) trip back on the 27 July 1968 - God - nearly 50 years ago !!

Bittern was on York shed

attachicon.gif2013-01-13-17-58-05.jpg

But the smelly diesels were allready entrenched !!

attachicon.gif2013-01-13-17-55-16.jpg

attachicon.gif2013-01-13-17-57-56.jpg

Over at Holbeck & Neville Hill these were found on shed

attachicon.gif2013-01-13-17-46-18.jpg

attachicon.gif2013-01-13-17-47-01.jpg

attachicon.gif2013-01-13-17-48-49.jpg

I missed the best days - but I'm glad I saw what I did. I did manage to get round Holbeck in 66 & 67 (photos on my site below) - but no LNER Pacifics for me !!

Happy days. 

Brit15

Smashing Photos ... very evocative  :locomotive:

I only noticed the reverser. Proscale kit? Regarding a4 names such a shame that so many bird names were lost.

It is David,

One of two I've made, painted by Ian Rathbone, of course. 

Though it makes up into one of the best representations of an A4, the Pro-Scale kit (all of them?) was a bit of a challenge. In fact, both LB's PS A4s were started by mate Mick Peabody, but he gave up on trying to make them, so I completed them. Neither has the chassis made as originally-designed.

One detail I did put on (which I've never seen attempted before) is the strip at the base of the tender which originally held the stainless steel embellishment. It's actually below the soleplate, giving the impression that the tender tank is deeper. It's apparent in the picture. Worth doing? I think so, considering it was present on several A4 tenders, including three streamlined non-corridor ones - those attached to 60001, 60002 and (latterly) A2/1 60507. It's just a strip of square-section brass, soldered on. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

It is David,

Though it makes up into one of the best representations of an A4, the Pro-Scale kit (all of them?) was a bit of a challenge. In fact, both LB's PS A4s were started by mate Mick Peabody, but he gave up on trying to make them, so I completed them. Neither has the chassis made as originally-designed.

One detail I did put on (which I've never seen attempted before) is the strip at the base of the tender which originally held the stainless steel embellishment. It's actually below the soleplate, giving the impression that the tender tank is deeper. It's apparent in the picture. Worth doing? I think so, considering it was present on several A4 tenders, including three streamlined non-corridor ones - those attached to 60001, 60002 and (latterly) A2/1 60507. It's just a strip of square-section brass, soldered on. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

Here are the strips from photos taken a few years ago. You will have seen them on my visits to you!

Eric

post-2677-0-93847600-1530702410_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-71276000-1530702417_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-54680900-1530702423_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Tony,

Here are the strips from photos taken a few years ago. You will have seen them on my visits to you!

Eric

attachicon.gifA2.1 60507 Highland Chieftan (6).JPG

attachicon.gifA4 60011 Empire of India (56).JPG

attachicon.gifA4 60031 Golden Plover (21).JPG

Hi Eric

Hola from Sunny Spain.

I am I misunderstanding this discussion or did A4’s 60011 and 60031 also have the metal strips running along the tender.

As I though as Tony pointed out that only A4’s 60001 & 60002 plus A2/1 60507.

Regards

David

I'm currently building a B16 from a PDK kit. I've made a number of modifications to enhance the basic model. If it is of interest I may post further pictures as the build progresses. The project has been stalled for some time due to the unavailability of driving wheels. Nobody does a proper B16 wheel in 4mm scale, they are rather distinctive as they have nineteen spokes that are round in cross-section. Markits could only offer 5' 8'', 18 spoke Maunsel wheels, they proved to be unsuitable in a number of respects, not least of which was two faulty axles that caused all sorts of problems trying to fit the wheels. A blessing in disguise as the Maunsel drivers have a crank throw that is miles out for a B16. This is the first time I've ever had an issue with a Markits product, the good news is that Markits are intending to introduce a proper B16 wheel in about six months time.

The nearest and best equivalent for the B16 is the 8' 6'', 18 spoke LNER wheel as fitted to such Gresley locomotives as class K3. Unfortunately, these have been unavailable for some time, and are unlikely to be available again for a number of months. Fortunately, I have just managed to acquire the last set in Christendom and they have been tested with motor and rods temporary in situ. All is running sweetly so the next job will be to manufacture some springs as these are not present on the chassis as supplied.

Other alterations to the basic kit include the widening of the tender frames and the respacing of the buffer housings to NE dimensions, the remodeling of the separate tender wheel chassis, so that daylight is visible through the tender frame lightening holes this allows the representation of the bottom of the tender water tank and scoop in silhouette. I also adjusted the brake pull rods as the hangers are of different lengths on the real loco

The main work on the body is making sure that the boiler sits at the correct centerline in relation to the running board. I also extended the firebox to represent the diagram 49a boiler. I don't like over scale etched boiler bands, these were filed of the separate smoke box overlay. Being lazy, I removed the etched rivets at the same time, it being more important to me to get a perfect boiler tube rather than an obvious joint. The rivets will be reinstated with mighty Archers product and a more scale representation of the boiler bands added.

Little details include the lowering of the front step that allows access to the smokebox, this should sit beneath the height of the lifting holes in the front frames. With the cab, a bit of filing down of the rear cab window frames allows it to be represented as open rather than shut, in contrast, window surrounds were added to the spectacle plate.

In addition to the springs that require adding to the chassis, a better representation of the brake gear is on the list of things to do. In particular the pull rod to the brake cylinder under the rear frames, this is visible in silhouette. A representation of the inside valve gear will also be required.

Despite the above comments, I do feel that the kit is good value for money, with some very good etches, generally accurate and the parts fit very well.

post-26757-0-64356100-1530712896_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I'm currently building a B16 from a PDK kit. I've made a number of modifications to enhance the basic model. If it is of interest I may post further pictures as the build progresses. The project has been stalled for some time due to the unavailability of driving wheels. Nobody does a proper B16 wheel in 4mm scale, they are rather distinctive as they have nineteen spokes that are round in cross-section. Markits could only offer 5' 8'', 18 spoke Maunsel wheels, they proved to be unsuitable in a number of respects, not least of which was two faulty axles that caused all sorts of problems trying to fit the wheels. A blessing in disguise as the Maunsel drivers have a crank throw that is miles out for a B16. This is the first time I've ever had an issue with a Markits product, the good news is that Markits are intending to introduce a proper B16 wheel in about six months time.

The nearest and best equivalent for the B16 is the 8' 6'', 18 spoke LNER wheel as fitted to such Gresley locomotives as class K3. Unfortunately, these have been unavailable for some time, and are unlikely to be available again for a number of months. Fortunately, I have just managed to acquire the last set in Christendom and they have been tested with motor and rods temporary in situ. All is running sweetly so the next job will be to manufacture some springs as these are not present on the chassis as supplied.

Other alterations to the basic kit include the widening of the tender frames and the respacing of the buffer housings to NE dimensions, the remodeling of the separate tender wheel chassis, so that daylight is visible through the tender frame lightening holes this allows the representation of the bottom of the tender water tank and scoop in silhouette. I also adjusted the brake pull rods as the hangers are of different lengths on the real loco

The main work on the body is making sure that the boiler sits at the correct centerline in relation to the running board. I also extended the firebox to represent the diagram 49a boiler. I don't like over scale etched boiler bands, these were filed of the separate smoke box overlay. Being lazy, I removed the etched rivets at the same time, it being more important to me to get a perfect boiler tube rather than an obvious joint. The rivets will be reinstated with mighty Archers product and a more scale representation of the boiler bands added.

Little details include the lowering of the front step that allows access to the smokebox, this should sit beneath the height of the lifting holes in the front frames. With the cab, a bit of filing down of the rear cab window frames allows it to be represented as open rather than shut, in contrast, window surrounds were added to the spectacle plate.

In addition to the springs that require adding to the chassis, a better representation of the brake gear is on the list of things to do. In particular the pull rod to the brake cylinder under the rear frames, this is visible in silhouette. A representation of the inside valve gear will also be required.

Despite the above comments, I do feel that the kit is good value for money, with some very good etches, generally accurate and the parts fit very well.

I have only built their A1/1 in OO, a poor kit in general,the one piece chassis was awful , it was so wide that there was zero sideplay on the drivers when built. Has the chassis improved on this one?.

I am waiting for the LRM improved reissue of the Barnfield kit at the moment . Mike Meggison has been doing a trial build on his thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/101015-mikemegs-workbench-building-locos-of-the-north-eastern/page-43

Edited by micklner

It is David,

Regards,

Tony. 

Very easy on Hornby Locos, just add a length of Microstrip.

I have only built their A1/1 in OO, a poor kit in general,the one piece chassis was awful , it was so wide that there was zero sideplay on the drivers when built. Has the chassis improved on this one?.

I am waiting for the LRM improved reissue of the Barnfield kit at the moment . Mike Meggison has been doing a trial build on his thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/101015-mikemegs-workbench-building-locos-of-the-north-eastern/page-43

Afternoon Mick,

I've been waiting twenty years for the Steve Barnfield kit. At the end of the day, looking at the two, I was quite confident that whichever one I picked I could turn it into a good representation of a B16. To be honest it is in my nature to want to tweak things and make my own bits, to just follow a set of instructions would send me to sleep. The thing that swung it in favoureof the PDK version was that I thought the chimney and dome looked a bit narly on the Barnfield version. On the other hand the lack of springs on the main chassis was a little disappointing with the PDK kit. However, I have made my own before and will do so again with this loco.

With regard to the chassis width, I've never had a problem with this. There is more room to pack things in, especially if you employ double insulation. Just file back the bearings.

Hi Eric

Hola from Sunny Spain.

I am I misunderstanding this discussion or did A4’s 60011 and 60031 also have the metal strips running along the tender.

As I though as Tony pointed out that only A4’s 60001 & 60002 plus A2/1 60507.

Regards

David

David,

I pointed out that three non-corridor A4 tenders had the strips. 

Off the top of my head, it would seem that (at various times) the following A4s had corridor tenders with the strips....... 60008, 60009, 60010, 60011, 60012, 60013, 60021, 60022, 60024, 60025, 60027 and 60031. Tenders were swopped about, so there could be others.  

Other 'loco-picking' details on A4s concerns the electric warning flashes and their positions. 60002 and 60031 were very late recipients, and 60011 never got them at all.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold

David,

I pointed out that three non-corridor A4 tenders had the strips. 

Off the top of my head, it would seem that (at various times) the following A4s had corridor tenders with the strips....... 60008, 60009, 60010, 60011, 60012, 60013, 60021, 60022, 60024, 60025, 60027 and 60031. Tenders were swopped about, so there could be others.  

Other 'loco-picking' details on A4s concerns the electric warning flashes and their positions. 60002 and 60031 were very late recipients, and 60011 never got them at all.

Regards,

Tony. 

A genuine question - how do you remember all these small details? I'm assuming your photos are very well organised - do you have large quantities of notes too?

A genuine question - how do you remember all these small details? I'm assuming your photos are very well organised - do you have large quantities of notes too?

It's all in my head. 

It has to be full of something, and it's clearly not intellect!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Out of interest, what do you do with the horrible cylinders on the Hornby A4?

This can help: modified on the left, unmodified on the right. 

post-708-0-66480600-1530731124_thumb.jpg

post-708-0-75285100-1530731140_thumb.jpg

It's a question of filling away the back of the cylinder "skirt" at the point where it has to bend, thinning the edge of the rest of the skirt to match (for aesthetic reasons) and then bending the skirt around some rod of the correct diameter, with poly cement to make sure the bend stays. Heat could probably be used instead of the poly cement. 

One should really take it further and extend the cylinder proper forwards, and replace the cylinder cover, but I lost interest in both big engines and plastic engines. 

Edited by Daddyman
  • Like 5

This can help: modified on the left, unmodified on the right. 

attachicon.gifa small 20180704_200011.jpg

attachicon.gifa small 20180704_200130.jpg

It's a question of filling away the back of the cylinder "skirt" at the point where it has to bend, thinning the edge of the rest of the skirt to match (for aesthetic reasons) and then bending the skirt around some rod of the correct diameter, with poly cement to make sure the bend stays. Heat could probably be used instead of the poly cement. 

One should really take it further and extend the cylinder proper forwards, and replace the cylinder cover, but I lost interest in both big engines and plastic engines. 

Many thanks,

it's a massive improvement to the front end. Presumably, the full streamliners are just as flat sided as those with the skirting removed?

• RMweb Gold

It's all in my head. 

It has to be full of something, and it's clearly not intellect!

Intellect or not it is certainly impressive  :sungum:

Edited by Bucoops

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks,

it's a massive improvement to the front end. Presumably, the full streamliners are just as flat sided as those with the skirting removed?

Yes, but harder to correct. Impossible, even... 

In fact, come to think of it, this was a conversion from a full streamliner. 

Edited by Daddyman