Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I can't recall all the details of how Roy produced each loco but yes, a Jackson built loco painted by Geoff Kent is about as good as it gets. 

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I don't know anyone who built better loco mechanisms than our late friend. 

Hi Tony & Tony (Tony squared?),

It would be interesting to know what techniques Roy used in order to produce such mechanisms please?

Many thanks,

Brian

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Iain.d said:

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your kind words. I don’t really have any soldering secrets and some of the stuff I do can be quite a mess!

My first foray into soldering was as a teenager trying to solder the side of a whitemetal tender to its end casting using dad’s bog-standard soldering iron and tinman’s solder; it did not end well! It was only wanting to put a Comet Models chassis under an old Airfix 4MT Mogul that caused me to have another go.  To get me on the right track I used the examples and ideas put forward by Iain Rice in his book on etched loco construction which has many concepts, tips and photographs. Over a couple of years and a few learning experiences (disasters) I found I was able to put a reliable chassis together, and to a reasonable standard.

Today, I have a cheap Chinese temperature-controlled soldering station (a YiHua 937D), the LED display states it works from 200 to 450 degrees. I have no idea how accurate that is. I have three chisel shaped bits (all Hakko): 1.1mm, 2mm and 3mm. Which in simple terms are for small, medium or big solder tasks! I make my own flux at about 10-12% strength, if my maths is accurate.

I prefer small soldering iron tips to large, as it’s a good control measure of how much solder you put into a job. I work on the premise it’s easier to add a little more solder, than it is to remove it. By using a large tip, you invariably introduce a lot of solder. So my default is to use the smallest tip I can get away with.

For soldering brass, I use 145 degree solder (sadly from Eileen’s) in a coil. I don’t like the blocks of solder as its difficult to control the amount of solder you can melt off. I know I can cut/shave bits off but that’s just inefficient. I apply the tip of the hot iron to the end of the coil, melt off the amount I need, and then apply the tip with the solder to the job. If I get too much solder on the tip, I wipe it off and try again.

I use the 1.1mm bit the most, probably 80% of the time with the temperature set somewhere between 365 and 385, depending on the size of the job. For something like a Comet Models carriage table its 365:

228116363_LMSD1903TablesandLamps.jpg.150bf88c6623c88556da70194e836bb4.jpg

For a door stop, door hinge or drop light in a carriage side its 385:

1982853801_LMSD2161BSK-DoorSolderClose(01).jpg.fff5097b8563d63fed23519e2cffa04a.jpg

The other side:

1635930970_LMSD2161BSK-DoorSolderClose(02).jpg.80639177e14c69bc06083ec7ac37dc79.jpg

If the iron is too cold the solder won’t make the join quickly and I find I’m lingering, if it’s too hot it will quickly discolour the brass (a pinky red colour), which ever happens, I’ll tweak the temperature by maybe 10 degrees the other way. In most instances the discolouration will wash off.

I apply flux with an old, small paintbrush – Iain Rice recommended sloshing on the flux, I don’t do that, I try and brush/dab it carefully as wherever the flux is, the solder will flow. I always try and solder from the inside. I struggle to sweat things together so will invariably drill a hole in one piece, lay the other piece (that I want to attached to it) over it and solder through the hole – so for something like a ventilator on a carriage door, I drill a hole in the carriage door, place the ventilator over the hole, secure it with a bit of masking tape and solder from the carriage inside, through the drilled hole. To stop flux splattering I may cut and use a piece of paper as a shield or barrier to protect other surfaces.

To join a carriage end to a side, it’s the 3mm bit with lots of solder on it, the iron is set to 400 apply a goodly amount of flux, applying the iron and moving it along the join (that keeps the heat localised and reduces the chance of dislodging already soldered items), and out quickly. If the interface between the two is tight before soldering, the solder is less likely to flow outside the join.

For whitemetal I set the station to 200 degrees and do most of the above. If I’m soldering brass to whitemetal, I coat the brass with a thin layer of 145 solder and use low melt for the join. I have a separate 2mm bit for whitemetal work. I’ve never found low melt solder flows on whitemetal like 145 does on brass, so my whitemetal joins are more like small ‘spot welds’. My whitemetal soldering experience is quite limited, it’s still work in progress.

I find soldering quick and easy if the bit is clean and the brass (or whitemetal) is clean. The Hakko tips need little care other than a wipe on a damp sponge between every application. The 'tinned tip' should be nice and shiny , if it has black deposits on it (burnt stuff?) I carefully scrape that off with scalpel blade and wipe it again. And I change the sponge regularly as they soon get dirty. I’ve never used one of those wire cleaner things. I have some ‘Tip Tinner’ and will occasionally re-tin the tip.

Not every day is a good soldering day, if I’m struggling with the first application and I can’t get the solder to stay on the tip of the iron I usually switch it all off and walkaway and come back later, then miraculously things seem to be fine!!  I also solder in small sessions.

For cleaning I use Jif/Cif cream cleaner and scrub with a toothbrush. If a new, but old, brass kit is tarnished I will scrub it before I take the items off a fret. If the tarnishing is really heavy, I might use a very fine ‘wet ‘n’ dry’ type paper to mechanically clean the brass. I clean what I have soldered after almost every soldering session to remove the flux residue. If the cream cleaner goes a dirty grey, it will probably get a second clean. It’s also a good way of telling how secure the solder join is. Everything gets a really good rinse off.

Sorry if the above is a bit of a ramble, it started off as a few dot points but I felt that lacked context or explanation. It is what I do, it’s not the only way and I appreciate it’s not what some others might do either, but it works for me. Who knows it might work for someone else too.

Otherwise I wish everyone a safe and happy Christmas.

Kind regards,

Iain

Hi Iain,

That's excellent - many thanks for taking the time to post such useful information 👏

Kind Regards,

Brian

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gr.king said:

And Metcalfe rather obligingly do a simple card kit for station buildings typical of those on the proper MS&L lines through S.Yorks and N. Lincs, for the convenience of those who can't/won't build anything better or who initially need a space-holder while they build a better version.

Model is based on Sankey. Widnes and others are the same, but ISTR reading they measured Sankey as it was undergoing restoration at the time.

https://www.metcalfemodels.com/product/po237-00-h0-country-station/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sankey_railway_station

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, drmditch said:

Or even ran as far as Newcastle, and then further north.

There seems to be a lot of emphasis on the ex-GN Lines as far as Shaftholme and then York.

The ex-NE lines from York to Darlington were certainly interesting and regarded as a 'racetrack'.  Then heading north provided a number of opportunities for cuttings, bridges and viaducts and for diversionary routes with ex-NE infrastructure.

I will have to get more work done on my own railway and take some pictures! 

There is still a plan for building C6 and/or C7 Atlantics!

And remained so in to the BR era. My sister lived at Tollerton for a while,  the Deltics running south shut off from flat out as they passed the end of her street to coast south to Skelton. Wonderful memories, albeit of the diesel era.

• Like 3

Just going back to the definition of primary source for a moment.

If you are after chapter and verse on a matter that is based on what is debated in parliament then one could be excused for thinking that the primary source would be Hansard. This is easily available on line. However most topics are discussed by various committees or even subcommittees. Access to the minutes of these is rather more difficult, but several copies are made and various locations have copies as well as TNA Kew. They are a fascinating resource as they provide the detail behind the basic facts.

Bernard

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, polybear said:

It would be interesting to know what techniques Roy used in order to produce such mechanisms please?

Many thanks,

Brian

Good afternoon Brian,

I'd never presume to 'describe' Roy Jackson's locos, only to state that he would never tolerate poor running; not just his locos, but rolling stock as well on all his EM layouts. Derailments were anathema, and, thus, extremely rare. 

In his words, Retford was a 'loco-killer'. On some running days, guest locos would appear, their proud owners/builders putting them on in the fiddle yard after Roy's invitation. Many were the property of the 'great and good', but any pride on opening their boxes was rapidly countered by glumness as they were returned, having failed; in some cases, not even recording one circuit. 

Statements such as 'It'll run-in with use' were just (with justification) scoffed at. That didn't mean Roy was dismissive. No, he'd help anyone he could in their building. He was also full of praise for locos which 'weren't killed'. 

As far as I know, this was the last loco completed by Roy.............

2100238784_RoyJacksonA1.jpg.e90a1a7f740a82b9ed538f934eef0038.jpg

Built from a DJH kit, I photographed it in 2015 (I think he was building others, but, I believe they were never completed). 

It awaits Geoff Kent's painting (was it ever done?), and is a trademark 'Jackson Pacific'; that is no pony truck, because it got in the way of the tender pick-up wires. 

I'm not aware what happened to this magnificent loco. It ran superbly, and no one was surprised. 

The picture below sums up Retford to me..........

57649608_Retford72006.jpg.56b57ac13f72b539e5328342df582fda.jpg

MERLIN (Trix body/SEF tender/Jackson frames) takes 'The Elizabethan' (SP/Comet/Jackson/Kent) southwards. 

Without being disparaging to the past, were I to retake this picture now, the loco would be carrying appropriate lamps and a headboard.

The greatest compliment the great man ever paid to me was to..............

1139101008_Retford2382013A22.jpg.ad1a7009b4c1436d1aa711c8517e3144.jpg

Accept the complete chassis I'd built in EM for an A2/2, to go underneath the DJH kit of the class he was building. On one subsequent visit, I saw he was scratch-building a replacement (this was 2015), but he was obviously happy enough with the one I'd built, because on further visits he'd done nothing more to it. 

I'm delighted that Sandra is still happy to run this loco, and that it still performs well. The chassis is 'guaranteed for the rest of my life', so, if ever it does go wrong...................

There is no greater feeling of pride than to have locos I've built running (successfully) on the vast trainset that is Retford! Roy Jackson set the 'benchmark', and it's up to others now to emulate it (it's a very big bench!). As I say, I know of no better loco-builder than RJ. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have been working of BR carriages today, preparing 3 Airfix TSO bodies for detailing..

After these three are done, got FO another TSO and 4 BSOs to be chopped in half to produce two more TSOs, all same work required

28 holes per carriage need drilling

48 windows need filing to fit glazing.

8 door windows need shrinking

2 toilets need filling

2 toilets need new holes cut.

1 roof panel needs filing off and replacing

1 underframe needs a LOT chopped off

6 tumblehomes to reshape

Then the detail can start

1 new fan

6 toilet frames

48 window frames

1 roof panel

24 end handrails

24 roof grab handles

After that painting glazing and door handles.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, t-b-g said:

No BR Steam period ECML layout is complete without 60113, 60700, 60022 and 60103.

I think it is in the rules somewhere.

60113 and 60700 remain on Retford from Roy's time. 60022 is not represented. Roy's 60103 went to his family I believe. Sandra did a Hornby A3 as 60103 but it does not have much pulling power, unlike their A4s with additional weight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

MALLARD was 'under construction' earlier this century. Like MERLIN it has a modified Trix body on Roy's frames. While Roy's opinions on RTR mechanisms are well known, he was sensible enough to exploit what might suit, body-wise.

I believe he built FLYING SCOTSMAN from a DJH kit (was this one compensated, and GAY CRUSADER rigid, or the other way round?). Either way, both ran superbly. 

60108 is on a rigid chassis and is a superb runner with no shortage of speed and power. I believe Roy's conclusion was that compensation gave no real advantage. Here is 60108 on the up Heart of Midlothian, now complete with an RSO in the formation (etched sides on Bachmann base by Brian Kirby). There is a Hornby BSO at each end and a Comet Thompson kitchen car, which was on the layout when Sandra acquired it. The remainder are Bachmann Mark 1s.

When Sandra acquired Retford, it came with several locos that still had their RTR mechanisms, for example an O4 and 60117. I didn't realise that 60117 or the O4 were Bachmann until I picked them up for some reason. There may have been others. Roy made good use of RTR bodies with new frames and mechanisms. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Built from a DJH kit, I photographed it in 2015 (I think he was building others, but, I believe they were never completed). 

It awaits Geoff Kent's painting (was it ever done?), and is a trademark 'Jackson Pacific'; that is no pony truck, because it got in the way of the tender pick-up wires. 

I'm not aware what happened to this magnificent loco. It ran superbly, and no one was surprised. 

That A1 was not on the layout when Sandra acquired it but 60156 is represented by a DJH A1 that I used to own - bough in completed condition from the long-disappeared King's Cross model shop on the day of the 1987 King's Cross fire. I sold it to Sandra who regauged it and it is usually to be found on The Northumbrian. The builder did not alter the cab so it's a bit vertical but looks fine on the layout. It has a Portescap motor.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, gr.king said:

And Metcalfe rather obligingly do a simple card kit for station buildings typical of those on the proper MS&L lines through S.Yorks and N. Lincs, for the convenience of those who can't/won't build anything better or who initially need a space-holder while they build a better version.

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Also good for a number of Cheshire Lines stations, if one wants to model the LNER west of the Pennines!

4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Model is based on Sankey. Widnes and others are the same, but ISTR reading they measured Sankey as it was undergoing restoration at the time.

https://www.metcalfemodels.com/product/po237-00-h0-country-station/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sankey_railway_station

Jason

At least one RMWebber has turned the Metcalfe kit into a fine model by cladding it with embossed brick and adding new roof slates and details.

It is certainly a good starting point and examples were all over the east to west main line.

Having seen the upgraded model I did stash one away and maybe, one day......

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Iain.d said:

I struggle to sweat things together so will invariably drill a hole in one piece, lay the other piece (that I want to attached to it) over it and solder through the hole – so for something like a ventilator on a carriage door, I drill a hole in the carriage door, place the ventilator over the hole, secure it with a bit of masking tape and solder from the carriage inside, through the drilled hole.

Hello Iain, thank you for the excellent post, lots of useful tips but in particular, your suggestion of drilling a hole through the rear or unseen side of a pair of pieces to be sweated together: brilliant!

I too struggle to sweat togther anything much larger than a couple of flattened lentils and I shall try this idea next time and hopefully sweat without so much sweating, so to speak!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Brian,

I'd never presume to 'describe' Roy Jackson's locos, only to state that he would never tolerate poor running; not just his locos, but rolling stock as well on all his EM layouts. Derailments were anathema, and, thus, extremely rare. 

In his words, Retford was a 'loco-killer'. On some running days, guest locos would appear, their proud owners/builders putting them on in the fiddle yard after Roy's invitation. Many were the property of the 'great and good', but any pride on opening their boxes was rapidly countered by glumness as they were returned, having failed; in some cases, not even recording one circuit. 

Statements such as 'It'll run-in with use' were just (with justification) scoffed at. That didn't mean Roy was dismissive. No, he'd help anyone he could in their building. He was also full of praise for locos which 'weren't killed'. 

The picture below sums up Retford to me..........

57649608_Retford72006.jpg.56b57ac13f72b539e5328342df582fda.jpg

MERLIN (Trix body/SEF tender/Jackson frames) takes 'The Elizabethan' (SP/Comet/Jackson/Kent) southwards. 

Without being disparaging to the past, were I to retake this picture now, the loco would be carrying appropriate lamps and a headboard.

The greatest compliment the great man ever paid to me was to..............

1139101008_Retford2382013A22.jpg.ad1a7009b4c1436d1aa711c8517e3144.jpg

Accept the complete chassis I'd built in EM for an A2/2, to go underneath the DJH kit of the class he was building. On one subsequent visit, I saw he was scratch-build a replacement (this was 2015), but he was obviously happy enough with the one I'd built, because on further visits he'd done nothing more to it. 

I'm delighted that Sandra is still happy to run this loco, and that it still performs well. The chassis is 'guaranteed for the rest of my life', so, if ever it does go wrong...................

There is no greater feeling of pride than to have locos I've built running (successfully) on the vast trainset that is Retford! Roy Jackson set the 'benchmark', and it's up to others now to emulate it (it's a very big bench!). As I say, I know of no better loco-builder than RJ. 

Regards,

Tony. 

It certainly is a matter of great personal satisfaction to be able to contribute something to such a layout as Retford.

One of the "nearly finished" locos was a B7, which I have now. It really just needed the sidebars and motion completing. Mick Moore had produced a set of lovely machined parts for the outstanding items but Roy never got around to finishing the loco.

I will finish it one day but it will appear in fully lined GCR livery rather than the filthy black early BR condition that Roy was aiming for.

In his later years, Roy really struggled with his eyesight and had to wear such thick glasses that he could no longer see a straight line or a parallel pair of lines properly. Everything looked to him like a banana.

It always astonished my that despite his continuous grumbling about not being able to see well enough to produce decent models any more, he could still make something like Great Central. I hope I am half that good when I am well past my best!

I note it has those unusable friction fit drivers and a proper built up expansion link, probably from some etches he obtained, if my memory serves, from Morgan Gilbert.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, polybear said:

Many thanks,

Brian

There were some articles in MRJ under the heading "Locomotives of Dunwich" which went into a fair amount of illustrated detail as to how Roy put his mechanisms together. The appeared in issues 18, 194 and 207. There was a 22 year gap between parts one and two and part two appeared long after Roy and company had disposed of Dunwich but we (I collaborated with Roy in putting together parts 2 and 3) thought the title and the huge gap between installments amusing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

21 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

It certainly is a matter of great personal satisfaction to be able to contribute something to such a layout as Retford.

One of the "nearly finished" locos was a B7, which I have now. It really just needed the sidebars and motion completing. Mick Moore had produced a set of lovely machined parts for the outstanding items but Roy never got around to finishing the loco.

I will finish it one day but it will appear in fully lined GCR livery rather than the filthy black early BR condition that Roy was aiming for.

In his later years, Roy really struggled with his eyesight and had to wear such thick glasses that he could no longer see a straight line or a parallel pair of lines properly. Everything looked to him like a banana.

It always astonished my that despite his continuous grumbling about not being able to see well enough to produce decent models any more, he could still make something like Great Central. I hope I am half that good when I am well past my best!

I note it has those unusable friction fit drivers and a proper built up expansion link, probably from some etches he obtained, if my memory serves, from Morgan Gilbert.

Good evening Tony,

I know Roy used Gibson drivers on occasions, but told me he 'pinned' them to prevent them slipping on their axles under load; I believe it was a piece of rigid brass wire, passing through a hole in the boss and the axle drilled at 45 degrees, though I could be wrong. It was certainly a 'mechanical fix', not relying on just friction. 

A process way beyond me, hence my inability to ever get on with friction-fit drivers. 

I mention Retford being a 'loco-killer'...............

517390458_6007302.jpg.8f2f9f352e320297a8b05f99d8c02a22.jpg

Readers might recall my selling this A3 to Sandra last year. It came from the estate of a deceased collector, and was beautifully-built in EM from a Finney kit. I have no idea who built/painted it, because it was not signed, even though it was visual work of very high-quality. 

It ran well to begin with on test on Retford, until part of the motion dropped off on one side! I re-fixed this and hoped all would be well. 

No such luck! It has friction-fit drivers, and I believe they've slipped on their axles under heavy load. They were, obviously, not pinned. 

I feel rather responsible, though I believe Sandra is going to re-wheel it (a job not necessary had Roy built it).

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

This recent topic of robust construction is dear to my heart, as we have a 2mm scale loco killing equivalent of Retford in CF.

Over the years my locos have become more and more simple, but with heavy engineering where it matters. In a recent parallel thread in the 2mm section of RMWeb there has been discussion of wheel quartering and how tight the wheels should be on the split frame insulating axle muff: in my case exceedingly tight. ‘Mons Meg’ will shift 26 coaches: it wouldn’t if the wheels were just glued in the axle muffs. Similarly, axle bearings and coupling rod holes should start off as a good fit - after a few hundred miles of running they will be looser…

Making something for a shunting plank or branch line terminus is not the same as 22’ of ECML with near continuous running.  

Tim

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

This recent topic of robust construction is dear to my heart, as we have a 2mm scale loco killing equivalent of Retford in CF.

Over the years my locos have become more and more simple, but with heavy engineering where it matters. In a recent parallel thread in the 2mm section of RMWeb there has been discussion of wheel quartering and how tight the wheels should be on the split frame insulating axle muff: in my case exceedingly tight. ‘Mons Meg’ will shift 26 coaches: it wouldn’t if the wheels were just glued in the axle muffs. Similarly, axle bearings and coupling rod holes should start off as a good fit - after a few hundred miles of running they will be looser…

Making something for a shunting plank or branch line terminus is not the same as 22’ of ECML with near continuous running.  

Tim

Absolutely Tim. There will be many fine locos built where the builder had a specific and much gentler existence in mind.

I wonder if it is fair to expect people to make their mechanisms "bomb proof" just in case they end up on a Copenhagen Fields or a Retford some time in the future.

When people visited Roy it was arranged that a guest loco could be run, he always warned people and offered them a choice of running it light engine, on a smaller train or on one of the longer sets of stock. Invariably people would opt for the long option as otherwise they would never know if their loco could pull such a train.

There were one or two times when I looked at the loco and asked "Are you sure?". Nobody changed their minds and we ended up killing a few.

My baptism of fire (literally) came when I was about 21 years old. I had just built a Nucast Sentinel shunter and I had managed to pack in quite a lot of weight. We were at EXPO EM at the Paddington Hotel and we were there with a little layout. Roy Jackson and Co were there with High Dyke. I was ever so honoured when Roy asked my if I wanted to give the Sentinel a spin round High Dyke. We put it on an Iron Ore train of around 30 wagons and it set off superbly. I was just about to go back to my layout to get my other operator to come and have a look when the gears (with bearings mounted in plastic mountings) came out of mesh and locked up solid. The motor had got hot and melted the plastic. The momentum and torque caused the loco to topple over and fall down an embankment, with smoke and flames coming from the motor.

I learned a lot that day! 

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

51 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Tony,

I know Roy used Gibson drivers on occasions, but told me he 'pinned' them to prevent them slipping on their axles under load; I believe it was a piece of rigid brass wire, passing through a hole in the boss and the axle drilled at 45 degrees, though I could be wrong. It was certainly a 'mechanical fix', not relying on just friction. 

A process way beyond me, hence my inability to ever get on with friction-fit drivers. 

Regards,

Tony. 

One way to pin plastic centred wheels is to cut a slot at 30/45 degrees in the end of the axle with a piecing saw. After fitting the wheels drill up the slot into the wheel centre with a .5mm drill and then fit a piece of 5.mm wire into the slot and hole. Painting the axle end will retain it and if the wheels have to be removed, the pin pulls out of the slot. The slot/pin is less obvious than a Markits/Romford axle nut.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, sandra said:

Hello Tony,

Retford does not yet have a “Mallard” but it does now have a “Flying Scotsman” as I bought a Hornby blue one, converted it to EM, repainted it and made it left-hand drive. Its haulage capacity is limited and it seems very highly geared as it will do well over a scale 100 mph. However this loco is only a stop-gap until I build a definitive “Flying Scotsman” from a DJH kit. “Flying Scotsman” is always the engine non railway enthusiasts wish to see. I do intend to build “Mallard” and I have a Pro-Scale kit to build but as there is so much to do this is a long term project.

”St Gatien” is once again on the railway.E326270B-1E56-4BC9-A318-2BC4A112A3C9.jpeg.ec0e2e2e415741d9110d9d4efc7fb3d6.jpeg

This is a photo taken a few days ago and shows her heading north with the Scotch goods. The locomotive now has Markits drivers and various other modifications have been made particularly to the front bogie which has had to be rebuilt. 

I don’t know what happened to Roy’s “Great Central” it was not on the railway when I acquired it so I suppose Roy’s family must have kept it. However Retford does have a “Great Central”. Which I bought in OO from Robert Carroll and converted to EM. 

I have added several locomotives to Retford some of which I have built myself. B031E396-8EBE-475C-B02A-0DC6D986AFE4.jpeg.e9bb119c59f60bb2798b7029e670ab44.jpegThis is “Herringbone” built from a DJH kit. It has now been painted and lined. The performance of this loco is quite good but I’m always aware that none of my locos are as good as the locomotives Roy used to build but I suppose I should regard Roy’s engines as inspiration and something to aspire to.

Sandra

You really don't do so badly Sandra. Your locos "hold their own" on Retford and I have to peer quite closely to see if one is a Roy or a Sandra build. In some cases, the only "tell" is the lining as most of Roy's were hand lined by Geoff and yours are by transfer.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, sandra said:

Hello Tony,

Retford does not yet have a “Mallard” but it does now have a “Flying Scotsman” as I bought a Hornby blue one, converted it to EM, repainted it and made it left-hand drive. Its haulage capacity is limited and it seems very highly geared as it will do well over a scale 100 mph. However this loco is only a stop-gap until I build a definitive “Flying Scotsman” from a DJH kit. “Flying Scotsman” is always the engine non railway enthusiasts wish to see. I do intend to build “Mallard” and I have a Pro-Scale kit to build but as there is so much to do this is a long term project.

”St Gatien” is once again on the railway.E326270B-1E56-4BC9-A318-2BC4A112A3C9.jpeg.ec0e2e2e415741d9110d9d4efc7fb3d6.jpeg

This is a photo taken a few days ago and shows her heading north with the Scotch goods. The locomotive now has Markits drivers and various other modifications have been made particularly to the front bogie which has had to be rebuilt. 

I don’t know what happened to Roy’s “Great Central” it was not on the railway when I acquired it so I suppose Roy’s family must have kept it. However Retford does have a “Great Central”. Which I bought in OO from Robert Carroll and converted to EM. 

I have added several locomotives to Retford some of which I have built myself. B031E396-8EBE-475C-B02A-0DC6D986AFE4.jpeg.e9bb119c59f60bb2798b7029e670ab44.jpegThis is “Herringbone” built from a DJH kit. It has now been painted and lined. The performance of this loco is quite good but I’m always aware that none of my locos are as good as the locomotives Roy used to build but I suppose I should regard Roy’s engines as inspiration and something to aspire to.

Sandra

I'm delighted that ST GATIEN is up and running again Sandra. 

Your locos are excellent, by the way, and fully hold their own on Retford.

I remember Roy built HERRINGBONE. I wonder what happened to that?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

At a more mundane level than kit-built pacifics, the Retford production line rumbles on. There were four (or more) loaded coke trains per day between Orgreave or Brookhouse and Frodingham, with returning empties. There is a train of coke empties on Retford, made up of the old Three Aitch kits. Hornby has recently done a pretty good coke hopper so the plan is to have a loaded train in the opposite direction. Step one is to rewheel some Hornby coke hoppers and fit three-link couplings. The latter task is awkward because of the die-cast metal underframe on the Hornby wagons. I did five this evening and have another nine in stock. There are already a few on the layout. On four of the wagons, I fitted three-link couplings to the existing Hornby hooks. The other one has a trial fitting at one end of a Smiths three-link coupling, set into a groove cut in the die-cast underframe. It simply has a hook at the other end and no coupling at present, but a Smiths one could be added if the experiment is successful.

52571293447_b5dfe41922_c.jpgIMG_0314am by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 14

3 hours ago, sandra said:

Sandra

I recall when Sandra first acquired Retford (along with the house that goes with it). There were barely enough serviceable locos for the trains and a fair bit of space in the fiddleyards where trains that had been on loan to Roy had gone back to their owners. Geoff West very kindly helped fill the void with stock for several trains and Tony supplemented the motive power with several engines (I can think of a V2 and an A2 - there may be others - as well as a B17 that can haul the boat train without difficulty). There was also some rather dated stock on the layout, including Kitmaster Mark 1s - good in their day but no match for Bachmann - and even a 1970s vintage Hornby Gresley carriage, now banished. 

Since then, the number of trains on the layout has increased, with the fiddleyards now just about full, even with an additional down road for a second boat train and converting the down goods on the GC to hold trains off scene, plus two new loops on the down GN. I have added lots of carriages, some wagons, a DMU and a B1, with a J11 and A4 awaiting regauging and a B1 stuck in the post somewhere.

I think Sandra's comment about having "added several locomotives" is modest. I can think of a K2, V2 (possibly two), two A2/3s, an A3, an A2 and a B16/3 - and possibly others - that Sandra has built, with another A2/2, A3 and B2 at an advanced stage. There is another B17 on the way (I forget how much of this was done by Sandra and how much by Tony). Then there are Sandra's rescue jobs for kit-built engines acquired second-hand, often for much less than the price of a kit, including at least two A1s (one of which was in a terrible state) and an A2/3. Add to that the RTR conversions including (I think) three A4s, an A1, an A3, a WD, a 9F (awaiting a 1F tender) and probably more.

I think there are around 65 trains on the layout, plus two pairs of light engines that shuttle back and forth on the GC. It takes a lot of motive power and stock to fill the layout.

Edited by robertcwp
Typo
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, MJI said:

I have been working of BR carriages today, preparing 3 Airfix TSO bodies for detailing..

After these three are done, got FO another TSO and 4 BSOs to be chopped in half to produce two more TSOs, all same work required

28 holes per carriage need drilling

48 windows need filing to fit glazing.

8 door windows need shrinking

2 toilets need filling

2 toilets need new holes cut.

1 roof panel needs filing off and replacing

1 underframe needs a LOT chopped off

6 tumblehomes to reshape

Then the detail can start

1 new fan

6 toilet frames

48 window frames

1 roof panel

24 end handrails

24 roof grab handles

After that painting glazing and door handles.

Bless you and I wish you every success … but looked at like that, it does help one to appreciate why some modellers feel they have to stick to RTR …

• Like 2
  • Agree 1