Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Photographs can be a minefield.  I submitted an article to a journal, with a number of photographs.  Recently my text was returned with a selection of photographs, with a request for captions ... like, now.  One problem was the photographs were in aesthetic order, but the article would only make sense if they were in time order.  And the time frame was just one hour so I was desperately tracking a bunch of middle aged gentlemen walking around Waterloo station in overcoats and top hats, trying to work out who they were, where they were and when they were, all the time fielding ever more aggressive e-mails from the editor.

I think I got it right.  Bill

You're too polite - my response would have been the proverbial, "Lack of organisation on your part does not constitute a crisis on mine".

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 3

On 03/06/2023 at 21:56, melmoth said:

Tony, most of your criticisms above seem to be to do with incorrectly captioned images - which is fair enough, and might also obviously be indicative of further textual errors. On the other hand, while accuracy should be foremost in anything pertaining to be an historical record, how far do poorly captioned photographs detract from the textual information? Or are they, as per above, a sort of canary in a coalmine?

One issue with the book is the statement by the authors that analysis of photos was a key part of the research. Why then are there so many clear errors in terms of incorrect identification of carriage types in photos? This is the aspect of the book that is most straightforward to challenge objectively as the evidence is right there in front of you. A more subjective point is the balance of the coverage, as I mentioned in the review I wrote for the LNER Society, essentially that large parts of the LNER, and the wartime years, are not covered to a significant degree but other areas, such as the few Pullman trains, are covered in detail. This aspect is, as the authors acknowledge, due at least in part to availability of information. A substantial list of errors was compiled by a group of people for potential publication but for various reasons the list never appeared in print. I don't know whether it made its way to the authors as it was not mine to send. Overall though, Volume 1 is worth having and I particularly welcomed the large number of photos I had not seen before. Volume 2 should be better in the sense that it covers subject matter that barely has a mention anywhere else. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, Northmoor said:

You're too polite - my response would have been the proverbial, "Lack of organisation on your part does not constitute a crisis on mine".

The editor is a friend.  I suppose an issue is that one spends months crafting an article and gathering resources, then has a couple of days to caption the photographs.  Bill

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Treat with caution unless you model P4 or EM. Reliable operation is a bit "plus or minus nowt".

The slack in the track/wheel interface in OO makes coupling up very hit-and-miss. 

Kadees are fine so long as they aren't the sort fitted into monstrous NEM boxes! No bigger than the old Peco/HD coupler of yore and much more reliable. Fit and forget so long as you do it right.

John

Thanks that is the sort of feedback i needed, so most of the mqke yourself ones are EM or P4 usage due to tolerances.

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Readers might be interested to know that this morning I sent off a cheque for £900.00 to CRUK.

Over the last six weeks, this includes donated models being sold (thanks again, Andy and Ben), direct donations into our CRUK box on our stand, donations for my fixing models, donations for my tutoring and donations made by visitors placed in the CRUK box on the end of Little Bytham. 

Thank you all for making such generous contributions; and there'll be more to come! 

Very pleased to read this Tony. Very happy to have helped… from a cold and damp NZ winter 🥶 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks for all the comments/advice/experiences regarding that 47XX.

I'll probably go down the PDK route; I can't see myself hacking about at a lump of sold brass!

Tony

Going down the PDK chassis route for the 47xx is probably the way to go.

However, it is quite possible to fit modern gearboxes to the solid brass chassis. Although perhaps lacking in detail from my experience the Cotswold milled brass chassis are very true and add a lot of weight low down.

I built a Cotswold LNER F1 (ex GC) quite some years ago and because it was so heavy (the body in particular) it struggled with most motors I tried. In the end I got the files out and opened up the gear wheel slot so it would take a Portescap gearbox - now it runs like a dream! I have a spare chassis for one of these and will be using it in my Graeme King resin D7 as the driving wheelbase is the same and I also have a Cotswold Q2 to build sometime again with the solid brass milled chassis.

Andrew 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Readers might be interested to know that this morning I sent off a cheque for £900.00 to CRUK.

Over the last six weeks, this includes donated models being sold (thanks again, Andy and Ben), direct donations into our CRUK box on our stand, donations for my fixing models, donations for my tutoring and donations made by visitors placed in the CRUK box on the end of Little Bytham. 

Thank you all for making such generous contributions; and there'll be more to come! 

Well done Tony & Mo 👏  Out of interest, have you any idea how much you've managed to raise since you started?

8 hours ago, MJI said:

Thanks that is the sort of feedback i needed, so most of the make yourself ones are EM or P4 usage due to tolerances.

I'm not not sure what type "Sir" uses on Little Bytham, but they seem to work well from what I've seen.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Andy R said:

Very pleased to read this Tony. Very happy to have helped… from a cold and damp NZ winter 🥶 

Thanks Andy,

We're in 'drought' conditions here! Though it's not been very warm.

I should also have thanked those who've bought models over the last month and a half (in some cases paying more than I asked! Particular thanks to Al in this respect, who bought all three locos you donated). Chris, of Bomber County Models, should also be thanked for the very good prices he gave me for RTR items donated from a few sources.

Right now, I have absolutely nothing to sell on behalf of CRUK or bereaved families, but monetary donations still keep coming in..............

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
clumsy grammar
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, polybear said:

Well done Tony & Mo 👏  Out of interest, have you any idea how much you've managed to raise since you started?

I'm not not sure what type "Sir" uses on Little Bytham, but they seem to work well from what I've seen.

Good morning Brian,

Not off the top of my head, but I'll look back 'through the books'. Mo keeps them, by the way, and I'm frequently scolded for 'messing up' her (very) neat figures! That so much has been donated over the last few years is down to the generosity and altruism on the part of those who've donated models for sale, monetary donations from a variety of directions and those who've bought the models (often paying more than what's asked for equivalents on eBay and the like). Not only has CRUK benefitted, but also several widows and members of bereaved families. 

On the advice of our accountant, we set up a separate account for CRUK, in case it was thought we were running a (modest) business - on which we'd be charged tax! He informs the Inland Revenue on our behalf.

The couplings I use on LB have been described on many occasions - my own make for the fixed rakes, a few wagons with scale couplings (which are an absolute fag) and Sprat & Winkles for the pick-ups.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 4

34 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

My latest DJH A3 is now complete...........

DJHA36006113.jpg.eaaa95f250275cb6a75fd29eb1c56c8a.jpg

DJHA36006114.jpg.62daf6c400e4625f6b6868723bb82436.jpg

And ready to go off to Geoff Haynes for painting..............

Absolutely lovely 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Andy,

We're in 'drought' conditions here! Though it's not been very warm.

I should also have thanked those who've bought models over the last month and a half (in some cases paying more than I asked! Particular thanks to Al in this respect, who bought all three locos you donated). Chris, of Bomber County Models, should also be thanked for the very good prices he gave me for RTR items donated from a few sources.

Right now, I have absolutely nothing to sell on behalf of CRUK or bereaved families, but monetary donations still keep coming in..............

Regards,

Tony. 

Wonderful effort by you Tony and Mo- to keep up the momentum of contributing to this cause over many years.

My personal thanks to Al ( obviously I don’t know Al personally) for buying my three donated GWR locos from Tony and hopefully enjoying upgrading them for use.

regards Andy R

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Andy R said:

Wonderful effort by you Tony and Mo- to keep up the momentum of contributing to this cause over many years.

My personal thanks to Al ( obviously I don’t know Al personally) for buying my three donated GWR locos from Tony and hopefully enjoying upgrading them for use.

regards Andy R

Thanks Andy,

Al is 'Barry Ten' on here; an all round 'good egg'!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, landscapes said:

A work of art

David

Thanks David,

I'm not sure about it being 'A work of Art'. It's just a typical Wright 'layout loco', built to do a reliable job.

I've photographed some wonderful A3 models down the years; models I'd really class as 'Works of Art' - certainly in a much higher league than mine.

I'll see if I can find them..............

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

David West praised my latest A3..........

DavidWestA3andA23.jpg.728b9facbcc5b14033f1a4b817267b5b.jpg

DavidWestA3.jpg.26ed4b239bbe0fcc0d8189280e76c5d8.jpg

He's made a pretty good job himself in detailing/weathering Hornby's examples.

Another couple of modified Hornby OO A3s.............

Thanks Tony i'd forgotten that I brought those to LB.

Edited by davidw
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

It was some time ago, David.

I can't remember, but are the two LNER A3s Morgan's work? 

Regards,

Tony. 

I think so for Tom Foster

• Thanks 1

Conversion of a Hornby R2441 NRM version of Flying Scotsman.

Singapore

Single Chimney, repairs to various holes and damaged bodywork on this example, Banjo Dome , etched Cab Window Wind deflectors , Ashpan Lever, Name and Works plates. Repainted Smokebox , Boiler and Tender and new lining to Boiler and Tender.

IMG_9836.jpeg.d45425408c3a95bcf101bceb66620a29.jpeg

• Like 16