RMweb

Wright writes.....

21 hours ago, 30368 said:

Sorry to interupt the flow Tony. Have noticed what a large collection of A1's you have, but then they were very "front line" in the period you are modelling.

I have a quick prototype question (I know there is a thread for such things but suspect that this is where I will get an answer).

I am building a 4mm scale (00) V4 2-6-2 using Judith Edge Etches. It will be 61701 and in BR mixed traffic livery. I know that around 1953/4 these engines were downgraded from 5MT to 4MT (Why??) but my real query concerns the Route Availability. From the limited images available I can't tell if they were RA4 or RA6, I suspect the latter. Can anyone please confirm. I have searched the web but no joy.

Kind regards and thanking in anticipation,

Richard B

Good morning Richard,

As Bernard has posted, the V4s were, indeed, RA4 - a very good RA. 

Looking at others in the category, they include such 'lightweights' as B12/3, D40, F6, G5, J5, J17, J26, J55, J83, N5/2, N8, N13, N14, Standard 4MT 4-6-0, Standard 4MT 2-6-0, Standard 3MT 2-6-2T and (amazingly) the massive Co-Co EM2s (the smaller EM1 Bo-Bos were RA9!). 

Regards,

Tony

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

...and (amazingly) the massive Co-Co EM2s (the smaller EM1 Bo-Bos were RA9!). 

The comparative axle loadings are something like 22 tons for the EM1 and 17 tons for the EM2, which might partly explain that.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Rich,

I have no idea if any member of of the group who came today has anything to do with 'Technology Forge'.

What I would say............................

teambuilding04.jpg.20ea3f023f6a1eb5bc770698c8f47c95.jpg

teambuilding06.jpg.2980e65bf50af81cf85a673b44c71850.jpg

teambuilding07.jpg.0374dfa1dacae11acbca474dc1a96aca.jpg

teambuilding08.jpg.4b10bf3023f4ed0490c9bf1d55f3cf07.jpg

teambuilding09.jpg.a7b062d9c62c88092204306bb3834344.jpg

Is that they all operated LB brilliantly. In fact, probably better than many of the 'regular' operators!

Everyone had a fantastic day. If anyone else has a trainset they can use in this manner, I thoroughly recommend it. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Excellent, and I fully agree with the last paragraph as well.

Lloyd

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Rich,

I have no idea if any member of of the group who came today has anything to do with 'Technology Forge'.

Is that they all operated LB brilliantly. In fact, probably better than many of the 'regular' operators!

Everyone had a fantastic day. If anyone else has a trainset they can use in this manner, I thoroughly recommend it. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Red Leader did something similar with Grantham . I "Helped out"..  in reality provided rerailing support while they operated...

Baz

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MJI said:

I do like the BR 4MT 4-6-0.

Have had 75069 on the main line.

The Southern Region regarded their double-chimney 4MTs very highly and pretty much as the equal of the bigger 5MT on most duties.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

15.jpg.471345b04020cf4022a700d8d985aec1.jpg 

Both these photo's are from a Local Estate Agent's collection (before and after shots he displays locally)

Posted with his permission. First time I've seen the 1965 shot and the recent one was taking using a Drone.

Maybe this is of interest and thanks for letting me intrude briefly?

All the best.

Phil

See you can't trust old colour photos. All those others must be wrong as that Deltic is purple with an orange band, wow those wacky psychedelic days of the swinging 60s. 

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14

53 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

See you can't trust old colour photos. All those others must be wrong as that Deltic is purple with an orange band, wow those wacky psychedelic days of the swinging 60s. 

Just wait till the next tranche of Accurascale Deltics come along - the lesser known livery series, then you'll see 🤣

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

18 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

15.jpg.471345b04020cf4022a700d8d985aec1.jpg16.jpg.847d29854233c9f04eca819e3bfe1b05.jpg  

Both these photo's are from a Local Estate Agent's collection (before and after shots he displays locally)

Posted with his permission. First time I've seen the 1965 shot and the recent one was taking using a Drone.

Maybe this is of interest and thanks for letting me intrude briefly?

All the best.

Phil

Good morning Phil,

I remember seeing the 1965 shot in Modern Railways at the time, but only in black & white. 

Since there were no drones nearly 60 years ago, it looks like the photographer has climbed to the top of one of the telegraph poles. If the perspective is to believed, they're taller than that lift tower! 

Please, intrude all you like! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/06/2023 at 07:41, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Richard,

As Bernard has posted, the V4s were, indeed, RA4 - a very good RA. 

Good morning Tony,

Many thanks - as mentioned, the V4's seem to have been a capable and fairly powerful locomotive and RA4 is a very good design achievement. With the A1 and P2 building, one can see the sense in The A1 Locomotive trust's decision to build a third V4 given such a wide RA. Whilst I hope otherwise, I suspect I won't be around to see it!

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

The Southern Region regarded their double-chimney 4MTs very highly and pretty much as the equal of the bigger 5MT on most duties.

Good observation DunS. 70D had an allocation of five from the mid fifties until 1963 including double chimney versions. I always assumed that these were drafted in to replace the N15X 4-6-0s all of whaich were shedded there until withdrawal. Sorry Tony and many others, all a bit SR centric I know, but the LNER and its wonderous locomotives was/is my next favourite railway.

Kind regards.

Richard B

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 15/06/2023 at 08:21, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Rich,

Regards,

Tony. 

Brilliant outcome Tony…what a great concept for a team build. My last team build here in NZ was planting native trees on a hill side! 
I kinda like the layout operation option…😊

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Phil,

I remember seeing the 1965 shot in Modern Railways at the time, but only in black & white. 

Since there were no drones nearly 60 years ago, it looks like the photographer has climbed to the top of one of the telegraph poles. If the perspective is to believed, they're taller than that lift tower! 

Please, intrude all you like! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Possibly auto-colourised?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Now for something completely different!

Two recent acquisitions - South Australian Railways 900 Class diesels introduced in 1951. They had English Electric 1588 HP engines  and were built at the Islington Workshops here in Adelaide. They were the first mainline diesels to enter service in Australia

Only ten were built and they were all withdrawn by mid 1980s. Three still exist, 900 the class leader in our NRM here in Adelaide and two in dilapidated state that were originally acquired for heritage running in mid 1980s but as they are very heavy were sold on. The models are from SDS, an Australian company producing Aussie models in China.

The original liveried 900 - named Lady Norrie after the wife of the then Governor of South Australia

IMG_2398.JPG.ad85e81f8fab664bd76de442165f01f3.JPG

1960s liveried 904  

IMG_2408.JPG.2008baec891f521fda8a16c54fd45331.JPG

Maybe they were our equivalent of the Deltics? Here's a photo of mine taken in 1974 and an even later livery variation. Note the US 3 position upper quadrant signals similar to the three at Kings Cross in GN days!

908departsAdelaidewiththemiddayPirietrain14-8-74-1.jpg.c5b2682ae942e8938646b2b689486e39.jpg

They look a lot like Alco PA1s to me.

Edited by Barry Ten
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I did have a look to see if this video had already been posted - the U-tube notification came through this afternoon.

Thanks for putting this together, with editing by Chris Walsh and thanks for the mention.

I see in the comments that a query was made about the girder bridge . Was it a kit? Well not really as something of a 'one off' and the design would need another iteration or two to make it easier to build.

Dave

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

They look a lot like Alco PA1s to me.

A lot of South Australian modellers converted PA1s to 900s in previous times. There was a brass Korean model made back in the 1980s but this is the first plastic bodied model.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Andy R said:

Brilliant outcome Tony…what a great concept for a team build. My last team build here in NZ was planting native trees on a hill side! 
I kinda like the layout operation option…😊

I'm very impressed with that session Tony. Maybe some BR Staff might like to come and 'play'. Signallers are often quite interested in actual modelling. However they may 'know too much' and it is more fun using folk that are total novices. If it wasn't for all the Safeguarding Regs, however necessary those are of course, one could have younger people in as, after all, it is those very youngsters that we require to be enthused, take up and keep our lovely hobby alive and well. 

Brilliant concept the Team Building though. Probably a first?

Sincerely, 

Phil 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, zr2498 said:

I did have a look to see if this video had already been posted - the U-tube notification came through this afternoon.

Thanks for putting this together, with editing by Chris Walsh and thanks for the mention.

I see in the comments that a query was made about the girder bridge . Was it a kit? Well not really as something of a 'one off' and the design would need another iteration or two to make it easier to build.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

There are two more in the pipeline (of which, more later).

It might have been better in my introduction if I'd remembered to put my teeth in!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Funny 4

Speaking of visitors to see Little Bytham, a few weeks ago two Australian friends came to see it. One, Mark Laidlay, hasn't seen RMweb, but his comments below about his whole visit are very gratifying......... Not just for me, either. 

'Tony,

I’ve been back in Australia for some weeks and when I am asked “what was the best thing?” I answer our day at Little Bytham and Retford.  I went to the UK to do York exhibition, a 9 day steam tour, ride behind Scotsman and the Spring EM Expo but it was the unplanned things that stand out such as meeting you, Sandra, Gordon Gravett and Ian Hunter (owner, builder and operator of Broadford, an exhibition layout in England based on a prototype nearish to my home).  Your friendly nature made me feel very welcome and I feel indeed privileged to have visited Little Bytham and Retford.  When I posted my daily Facebook report some highly regarded Australian modellers (of Australian prototypes) knew immediately which model railways I was talking about.  Both are that well known around the world.'

I've told him to just Google RMweb, so he might well become a member. I hope so. 

Thanks Mark.

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Some little time ago, I showed a white metal 47XX where I'd been asked to put a motor in it.

Its chassis was a machined brass block.

47XXchassis01.jpg.e6aa452a97189b1b08027cebeacda97e.jpg

I did consider making a replacement chassis, but cost imperatives dictated retention of the original brass block. So, I've just fitted an ancient Romford 'Bulldog' and Romford 40:gears. Astonishingly, on bench-testing it runs very sweetly (I've yet to connect-up the pick-ups and feeds to the motor).

The chassis was fitted with glued-on white metal springs, but these were so low as to foul the track, so they're now in the bin! 

I've also repaired the slidebars and crossheads, but where the brackets are now, I've no idea. I've also no idea why the second pair of drivers are flangeless (to negotiate too-tight curves?). They'll remain like that. 

An attempt seems to have been made in fitting brakes, but I'm taking them no further. 

When will I learn to say no to such overall requests? 

• Like 13