RMweb

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Very 'odd' John,

Though I have no knowledge of the Genesis kits. 

With the death of the proprietor, it looks like that's the end of the range; though I've been told there's a 'shed-full' of stuff to go through. How big a shed, I have no idea; but we'll see.

I'll report accordingly when I've been to see what's there.

Regards,

Tony. 

I think some of the kits in the Genesis range may now be available as RTR which probably kills off any future re-release, but I sincerely hope someone (suitable) is able to acquire any tooling from the estate.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I have a number of (unmade or part made) Genesis kits for Warwells and Warflats; I think at the time they were the only game in town for these but they have since appeared RTR as others have observed.

Being in pewter they have good weight, hwever, I have never checked the dimensions and so can't say whether these are good models or not - but I'll try to fish them out later and investigate!

Tony

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony Teague said:

I have a number of (unmade or part made) Genesis kits for Warwells and Warflats; I think at the time they were the only game in town for these but they have since appeared RTR as others have observed.

Being in pewter they have good weight, hwever, I have never checked the dimensions and so can't say whether these are good models or not - but I'll try to fish them out later and investigate!

Tony

Thanks Tony,

I must admit to being entirely ignorant of Genesis kits - I'll be in for a learning experience.

Though it's impossible for me to predict what I might find, I imagine the actual one-man business has ceased with the proprietor's death. So, it could be loads of un-built kits (I know he had some finished models his widow wishes to sell); we'll see. As for any tools/moulds/etches????

As I say, I'll report accordingly.

Kind regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I managed to locate two of what I think were three Warwells which it seems I had built but they were never really finished - no decals, and I had a lot of trouble with the white metal bogies which seemed too wide to fit the axles, so the bogie sides were temporarily squeezed in so as to hold the wheels in place.

SJPP906000102230906.jpg.ed51a530e5f2932424478c6a1b365e7b.jpg

I think I probably put them in the "can't be bothered" pile - so they were put in a drawer and have not emerged since!

SJPP906000303230906.jpg.409171f0b2d14638b8a2fe61d2050bfe.jpg

The bodies look a bit wide to me, although they do match the width of the cast resin tanks that are sat on them.

SJPP906000404230906.jpg.2d979d5681c3703d7b98998fe6c93806.jpg

I also located the Warflat kits which are unmade and sitting in my drawer full of roundtuit kits; I just need to check the era for the originals as I have a feeling these may be too late for my 1938 - 48 layout - in which case I might make them available to @rka for a donation to Tony's CRUK fund:

SJPP906000702230906.jpg.0a0858efd8f4fc0742d0eaeb418dded4.jpg

I will now look for some research materials and check dates as well as dimensions.

Tony

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I seem to remember that Genesis produced some detailing parts for the Triang Blue Pullman (replacement ends for the driving units) and a kit for a diesel brake tender.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Teague said:

I managed to locate two of what I think were three Warwells which it seems I had built but they were never really finished - no decals, and I had a lot of trouble with the white metal bogies which seemed too wide to fit the axles, so the bogie sides were temporarily squeezed in so as to hold the wheels in place.

SJPP906000102230906.jpg.ed51a530e5f2932424478c6a1b365e7b.jpg

I think I probably put them in the "can't be bothered" pile - so they were put in a drawer and have not emerged since!

SJPP906000303230906.jpg.409171f0b2d14638b8a2fe61d2050bfe.jpg

The bodies look a bit wide to me, although they do match the width of the cast resin tanks that are sat on them.

SJPP906000404230906.jpg.2d979d5681c3703d7b98998fe6c93806.jpg

I also located the Warflat kits which are unmade and sitting in my drawer full of roundtuit kits; I just need to check the era for the originals as I have a feeling these may be too late for my 1938 - 48 layout - in which case I might make them available to @rka for a donation to Tony's CRUK fund:

SJPP906000702230906.jpg.0a0858efd8f4fc0742d0eaeb418dded4.jpg

I will now look for some research materials and check dates as well as dimensions.

Tony

I might take you up on the offer. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmoth said:

I seem to remember that Genesis produced some detailing parts for the Triang Blue Pullman (replacement ends for the driving units)

I used Chris Leigh castings for the bogies, and Genesis ones for the ends (they were a tiny bit crisper than Chris's castings) but I think Genesis offered the bogies as well. I suspect they all had their origin in the same mouldings.

Edited by Barry Ten
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Tony

I have an unbuilt BR Girder WG pair but to be frank I've no idea where it is at the moment. If it turns up, I'll check it out.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Just a little note: I've just managed to add some more ballast into a Hornby Grange (given that its haulage powers were very limited). There was precious little spare space, but 'Liquid Gravity' certainly helped. 

My note, though, is in the form of a question. Why are so many RTR locomotives so difficult to get apart? The body/chassis fit on this Grange was very tight, and ominous cracking noises filled me with dread, though no harm was done. 

I think the Grange, Arthur and Schools are among the worst offenders for this - perhaps it was a phase Hornby were going through with over-tight body fittings? You certainly need a stiff drink to get into them, and then another once you've got them back together.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

I think the Grange, Arthur and Schools are among the worst offenders for this - perhaps it was a phase Hornby were going through with over-tight body fittings? You certainly need a stiff drink to get into them, and then another once you've got them back together.

They always seem far harder to reassemble than they did to dismantle.

It's almost as if the chassis relaxes like a Victorian lady liberated from her tight corset! 😄

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Just a little note: I've just managed to add some more ballast into a Hornby Grange (given that its haulage powers were very limited). There was precious little spare space, but 'Liquid Gravity' certainly helped. 

My note, though, is in the form of a question. Why are so many RTR locomotives so difficult to get apart? The body/chassis fit on this Grange was very tight, and ominous cracking noises filled me with dread, though no harm was done. 

Any loco I make has its body secured to its frames by two 8BA CH screws, one fore, one aft; underneath the smokebox saddle and cab respectively. The fixing 8BA nuts in the body are very securely soldered in place. Once undone, the body just lifts off - literally. There is no friction between the units. Is this (very simple) methodology beyond model products made in China?

As for getting modern diesel-/electric-outline models apart, well..........

Tony,

In my experience, the time when RTR loco bodies became difficult / impossible to remove, and adhesive weight was compromised, coincided with the introduction of sound-equipped models.

What will happen when smoke generation becomes more widespread I dread to think!

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

7 hours ago, sjp23480 said:

Also available RTR from Dapol/Model Rail I think?

Hornby Magazine.

Genesis did different variants though. I think there was four in the range including the angled type and ones of different lengths and bogies. I have a feeling they were resin bodies with pewter bogies.

Also the very useful WD Ramp wagons. Surprised no one has made those RTR when both Oxford and Hattons made the Warwells. 

There was also some snowploughs. Ex SR Schools tender and the type usually fitted to LMS 4Fs.

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Tony,

In my experience, the time when RTR loco bodies became difficult / impossible to remove, and adhesive weight was compromised, coincided with the introduction of sound-equipped models.

What will happen when smoke generation becomes more widespread I dread to think!

CJI.

Possibly, but the examples that @Barry Ten supplies were all, I think, well before that.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Tony

Mrs M says you can borrow her hammer.

Hammer.png.8830dacfcd3ce84ca24395e1f2f51a47.png

As primary a diesel modeller I agree the manufacturers seem to have designed them to baffle the most diehard of us. I undo the four screws in the ends of the  model , no it is still in one piece. Ah there are four more just inside of the apertures for the drive units. To get at them the screw driver has to pass through the corner of the bogie. On taking out the third one I then spend half an hour on my hands and knees looking for it. Fourth one out and a little push and shoving and I am in a position to disable the lights. As a green era modeller I don't need lighting the girls of 93 Serachlight Regiment Royal Artillery would be proud of. Anyhow back to the model locomotive, after I have put it on the wrong way round I find the screws which at first sight seem the same all round are not as the end ones don't do up once I have fiddled around getting them in the holes through the bogie. It is at his point where Mrs M's hammer seems a good choice of weapon.

To say nothing of body screws hidden underneath the couplings, and on the Bachman 08 handrails to be removed. The worst that I have had to take top off is theDAPOL B4, where half the chassis comes apart as well.

Edited by john new
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 06/09/2023 at 05:17, Tony Wright said:

"but I think the RTR Hornby body is the most-accurate (other than, perhaps, the Finney one)"

I understand that John Brighton's view is The Hornby RTR body for the A4 is as good as you can get this even out does the Finney due to the time it would take to complete and finish it.  however the chassis and under side is definitely improved with the Finney Chassis etc. 

Still love the look of your V2's. My time seems to be taken on other things at the moment so I don't seem to be getting any modelling done. Though I keep promising myself to get back to my 2 Finney V2's. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1