Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

27 minutes ago, JeremyC said:

I think that York is probably bigger than Model Rail Scotland. There was some discussion earlier about one day shows so it's possibly worth pointing out that both of these are three day shows.

York has been my favorite large show for many years, although I am no longer able to regularly visit.

It uses an unusual venue, which is not the easiest for some exhibitors/traders in which to set up, is 30+ minutes walk from York station, has to contend with the car boot parking on Sunday, use the venues catering, etc. Yet it succeeds very well, attracting modellers from as far afield as Scotland and, depending on the weather,  local families.

Venues for shows are an interesting subject. Apart from the big shows that use exhibition venues such as the NEC, we are faced with having to use schools or sports centres in the main. While these often have suitable main halls, they are often not ideal in other respects. Organisers are sometimes required to use the contracted caterers who often aren't geared up to dealing with people who are on a day out and want more than a sandwich and cup of tea. Access for exhibitors and traders is often poor (because the venue was't designed for that). Ventilation/heating may be inadequate. Lighting isn't always suitable for layouts so woe betide those that haven't built it in. Parking can be a problem, especially when parents turn up with their offspring for sporting activities. Public transport access may be difficult, which doesn't help those who don't/can't drive or get a lift.

I have attended multiple shows each years for over thirty five years as an exhibitor or assisting a trader and so have some experience of these issues and how they can affect peoples perception of the event. Despite this, show organisers manage to put on shows that are well worth visiting but would be even better if those shortfalls could be resolved.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, JustinDean said:

I don’t think we’re a dying breed. I remember in the late 80’s/early 90’s, the first time round I was modelling railways, the same conversations were happening. 
The cycle seems to be young folk get into the hobby, adulthood distractions take over, then at some point in later life we return, realising what a great hobby it is. I’m one of these people rejoining the fold a few years ago. 
Coming back was eye opening, Web forums, multiple publications, lots of exhibitions, manufacturers and a wealth of resources available. To me it seems better than ever!  Warley and Hattons going are just signifiers of change; absolutely not the signs of the end. 

Jay

I don't think anyone has been prophesying the end. However, we so-called baby-boomers form by far the largest post-war generation in the UK even now. When we were growing up in the 1950s and 1960s, youthful interest in railways and ownership of train sets was much more "mainstream" than it has been since, sowing the seeds of lifelong enthusiasm.

Logically, that means a higher proportion of us should be carrying the "railway bug" than in any of the subsequent three generations (taking the usual definition of a generation as 25 years). 

Given all of the above, it seems highly improbable that railway/model railway enthusiasm will have taken root in any one of the ensuing generations to the same extent as in ours.

We are now at, past or nearing the 70 mark but we are so far "checking out" relatively slowly; most of the Family Notices in our local paper relate to individuals in their 80's and 90's.

However,  many of us are reaching the point where our contribution to the hobby is waning, or soon will; and we will become those aforementioned 80 and 90-plussers uncomfortably soon. This phenomenon, rather than current mortality rates, is what probably underlies the recent unwelcome news items.  

At present any overall decline is being masked because there are two full succeeding generations from which to draw new adult enthusiasts, but we are nearing a demographic tipping point. 

We are now maybe five (or at best, ten) years away from my generation needing to be replaced at twice the current rate just to maintain the size of the hobby, let alone create any growth.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Model railways is a dying hobby,

I don't think it is.

I feel it is just changing, as it must have repeatedly over the years.

And we won't all like the changes, but we are old and set in our ways!

Just think how smaller retailers must have felt when Hattons really got going on line, and how some small local exhibitions must have felt when Warley got so big and successful.

No, we must embrace change because it is inevitable and younger enthusiats than ourselves will want to do it differently.

Good luck to them, and now back to doing it my way.........🥱

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1

Why on earth the Telegraph sees recent years' TV coverage as a failed saviour (via a silly bake-off style, rushed, dumbed down version of modelling, or a look at what various "celebrities" have in the way of a trainset / model railway interests) I really do not know. I thought the "bake-off" did nothing to show and encourage sensible pursuit of the hobby. A proper look at what some of the best modellers (famous or probably otherwise) can achieve in normal circumstances, and how they achieve it, might do more to stir the interest of the kind of person who would also try to take modelling reasonably seriously. 

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 10
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I believe that one of the problems with having no junior club members came about because of the requirement of club members to be CRB checked if they had any contact with kids at the members own expense. That was the reason that was given by the MKMRS for not taking junior members anymore. 

Regards Lez. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Teaching in the '70s, several boys I taught still indulged in trainspotting and building model railways. In the '90s, I saw none. 

I know us rail enthusiasts were in the minority by then but "none" surprises me. There were 3 of us in my year at Secondary School (1989-) and I was aware of the odd other modeller. Although how it took me until Sixth Form to twig that the teacher who also taught photography was *that* Michael J Collins I have no idea! 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30843245@N00/with/50313090561

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

I believe that one of the problems with having no junior club members came about because of the requirement of club members to be CRB checked if they had any contact with kids at the members own expense. That was the reason that was given by the MKMRS for not taking junior members anymore. 

Regards Lez. 

While it is good practice to have someone designated to have a DBS check it is not mandatory. A club could have a policy of accepting under 16’s with an accompanying adult for instance and then that adult is responsible for the child. That’s a real shame if clubs are turning away juniors because of this. I joined a club at 14 and that definitely put me on a solid path of learning. 

Jay

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

48 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Why bother then? Because it's more important to me that I make my own locos, not just buy them RTR (and take them further). I think I'm definitely in a minority..................

Some of my present stock is modified/repainted/renumbered RTR, but will usually be regarded as merely fulfilling an operational requirement until a kitbuilt or scratchbuilt model replaces it...

...so please count me in as part of your minority, Tony 😎

Mark

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

On the railway, we could also accumulate compensatory leave days for working bank holidays, which helps but not all jobs involve BH working so it's not an option for many. 

The best gig was being on call on a PH - you didn't even have to go to work!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Regards Lez. 

Some clubs that I've been involved with required a nominated parent/guardian to accompany the junior member at all times. In a few cases, some of those adults are still members in their own right while the youngsters have moved on to other pastimes.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, gr.king said:

Why on earth the Telegraph sees recent years' TV coverage as a failed saviour (via a silly bake-off style, rushed, dumbed down version of modelling, or a look at what various "celebrities" have in the way of a trainset / model railway interests) I really do not know.

It's just clickbait, best to ignore it. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Bachmann's RTR J11 from a few years ago. Superb? Apart from the coupling rod knuckle being the wrong side of the centre crankpin!

Are you sure about that? all the photos I could turn up tonight have the knuckle behind the crankpin. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, billbedford said:

Are you sure about that? all the photos I could turn up tonight have the knuckle behind the crankpin. 

The Bachmann J11 is, in my view, one of the best RTR locos ever produced. I could find very little wrong with it and although I am very much a maker rather than a buyer, I couldn't resist getting hold of a "Collector's Club" version in GCR livery. Several years later it is still in its box but it may get a new set of frames in EM gauge at some point. The body and livery is as good as any model I have seen.

The only faults I would pick with it would be that under the boiler you can see a solid block rather than down into the frames/inside motion and the usual RTR great big hexagonal crankpin retainers, plus wheels rather coarser than I am used to working with. If mine does get new frames, that will sort those problems out. The placement of the coupling rod knuckle is, as you say, quite correct for all the examples I am familiar with.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, billbedford said:

Good morning Bill,

'Are you sure about that? all the photos I could turn up tonight have the knuckle behind the crankpin.'

Evidently, no!

BachmannJ1131-320DC03close-up.jpg.00cda34708e65ce235fb89aa3bca1c44.jpg

J11164387.jpg.ba75d6ead101e0a47c36ff231f589b9b.jpg

I obviously need more-powerful specs!

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
tautology
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

My club in deepest Cornwall is currently having an interesting, sometimes emotional debate about its future direction.  We have the typical boomer-centric demographic but with a significant minority of younger members who are still working.  We get a regular trickle of new members and are having to adapt to keep them on board, whilst some older members have faded away.

The current longer serving membership are now mostly retired and increasingly prefer to meet during the daytime, and avail themselves regularly of the on-site cafe!  They mostly model in fine scale and do a lot of scratch building, we have an exhibition quality layout that has been many years in the making.

Newer members are a mix of newly retired and working age enthusiasts, the former fit in easily enough with the retirees but the younger ones are only around in the evening.  Both however, typically turn up initially with RTR stuff, often older second hand items, and following open discussions it has emerged that most of them are intimidated by the clubs main finescale layout and are holding off becoming engaged in building its replacement.  However, enthusiasm is emerging for a club layout built to less exacting standards, using more proprietary items such as code 100 streamline track work.  Something that will be more tolerant of people’s learning curves, suitable for their older RTR collection… dare I say less intimidating modelling-wise.  The possibility of starting a new layout built along these lines is slated for discussion at our AGM next month, possibly to be the focus of our members attending in the evening.

My point being, new members need encouragement and acceptance at an entry-level for the hobby, basic abilities need to be accommodated and provision made for them to grow step-by-step in modelling ability until they are able to migrate to the higher level of modelling that others take for granted.  Expecting them to jump in at the deep end with those who often have a lifetime of experience, they see as a big ask.  

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

It has been mentioned that the good Bachmann J11 has no J11/3 counterpart.  I am sure that the early advertising for Bachmann's J11 included references to a proposal for what was evidently supposed to be a J11/3, but I am equally sure that the advertising that I read referred very clumsily to just a low-chimney and/or low dome version, quite ignoring the fact that the pitch of the boiler has to be higher for a J11/3, the cab front is consequently altered, and the front covers for the piston valves show.  I presume a proper model would require a complete new body and not just some different fittings.  If Bachmann really did not understand all of the differences at that time, perhaps it is best that no "J11/3" version was ever offered...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

36 minutes ago, gr.king said:

If Bachmann really did not understand all of the differences at that time, perhaps it is best that no "J11/3" version was ever offered...

Maybe it's just that the original model didn't sell enough to justify retooling for just 31 locos?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Sayajirao said:

Just idly looking at various online sources, this J11 doesn't appear to have a coupling rod knuckle joint unless it is lost in the low resolution?

bf683ff52ab190d57040fca757c39502.jpg

That's a J17 not a J11 though.

Regards,

Simon

• Agree 2