Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Wright writes.....

On 28/02/2024 at 10:24, jwealleans said:

When I was an undergraduate, given its history of activism which had started in 1968 and still went on, it was generally known as the 'People's Republic of King's'.

Indeed, although probably earlier than that.

My headmaster had been at King's in the 1930's, and like many at the time was a Marxist.

I do recall as late as 1974 him telling us with a completely straight face, that Mao's China had not experienced any famines after 1949 thanks to the benefits of the new system. Ahem!!

John.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 4

The whole University was a bit of a hotbed of pinko subversives all through the 1930s as far as I can see, although none of the Cambridge Five were at King's.   When I was there in the 1980s, my next door neighbour (later Chief Economist at the IMF) used to joke that their department motto was 'Is there anything Left of Cambridge Economics?'.   There were very overt campaigns to induce Barclays to disinvest from apartheid South Africa and in support of the Miners.   I have to say my innate cynicism just made me wonder how much of it was trust funded posturing.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I'd like to see chassis blocks have a removable section to allow us to implement our own priorities.

Spot on - with the removable section cast in / machined from the densest metal commercially viable.

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Which precisely describes the problems I had when building OO locos in my early days.,I always built the chassis first and get it running smoothly. Then I would bolt the loco body to it and it wouldn't run as well!

Which is exactly why I don't do this, I build the frames with cylinders/motion bracket/footplate supports and put the wheels on, then leave that until the body is complete. I also leave the bottom edges of the buffer beams clear and easily available as reference surfaces until the boiler (or engine casing for diesel locos) is fixed in place - then I know the body is square and won't distort the frames. Our kits are all designed with this sequence in mind although I do accept that springing or compensation does make this less necessary.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Mike,

I admit to having 'twisted' a set of etched frames true from time to time because there was a slight rock, even though they'd been Jamieson jig assembled.

As you allude to, when screwing the body on, it can impart a twist to the chassis. If this occurs (and it's often with an etched chassis), I identify where the diagonal rock is and fix little pads of thin Plastikard to the underneath of the body, diagonally opposite, where it meets the frames. This is a simple cure. 

In fairness, when I've built 'battleship' frames from one 16th brass (Jamieson-style) and then erected, say, a Jamieson sheet metal body, it's that body which 'twists' if necessary, not the frames.

Regards,

Tony. 

I do put little pads in if something goes wrong but I usually solder in thin shims of metal.

The old fashioned "battleship" frames do behave more like bar frames (which don't twist) than plate frames. The difference with bar frames is one reason why American loco practice went to compensation much earlier and much more than European builders did (the other reason was very poor track of course).

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Just my minor contribution to the chassis topic, but I don't (usually) bolt them on at each end. I fix one end tightly, but arrange the other to be retained, but allowed some slight give (both lengthways and sideways). Often that retention is achieved by just sliding the front frame spacer beneath the back of the screw-link coupling.

Edited by Barry Ten
truthfulness
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Spot on - with the removable section cast in / machined from the densest metal commercially viable.

John Isherwood.

Tungsten is perfect for this, being relatively cheap when compared to its density.  Cheap lumps can be found on ebay, along with many thicknesses of it in sheet form.  I definitely want to build locomotives and rolling stock from it, as the weight benefit should allow for maximum space for big speakers, flywheels, and other things too, while keeping lots of weight.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

There were very overt campaigns to induce Barclays to disinvest from apartheid South Africa and in support of the Miners.   I have to say my innate cynicism just made me wonder how much of it was trust funded posturing.

In the 80s, at least in Newcastle, it would have been a brave student who attempted to open an account with Barclays. I think there was a kind of picket-line you had to cross. I went with Lloyds, much easier.

Edited by Barry Ten
typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Sorry Tony, when I said vast majority, I meant in the context of those so inclined to purchase factory fitted sound locos. 

Rob

Understood!

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

In the 80s, at least in Newcastle, it would have been a brave student who attempted to open an account with Barclays. I think there was a kind of picket-line you had to cross. I went with Lloyds, much easier.

And the personal economic boycotts by avoiding buying tinned fruit etc., from S Africa for the same anti-apartheid reasons.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I never bothered much about the fruit, but it was some way into the 21st Century before I could bring myself to purchase either South African or (for a different reason) Argentinian wine. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

@PupCam Or you could save a small fortune, make the Vroom Vroom and Chuff Chuff noises yourself and use your imagination.....

Seriously though, if I wanted sound on my railway, it would come from a speaker under the layout, not on the trains.  When you observe the real railway, you stand in one place and get the doppler effect as a train goes past; if the noise comes from the model locomotive you don't get that.  The sound needs to be of the location - so all the background noises as well - not the train.

Edited by Northmoor
  • Like 4
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

On the modelling front and talking of jigs, or lack of, a traverser I made with only set squares and clamps to set it up but managed to get everything that slides parallel after the soldering job.  Built for an On15 layout back in 2011 but has been in store ever since! It would equally work for N and possibly OO for two tracks feeding one. Could be made longer with extra tubes but probably not wider. The moveable outer brass tube (fixed to the traverser frame) slides over the base tubes and carries the electrical contact for each track. (9mm so suits NG or N Gauge) One tube for each feed (One road live only at a time) and the fourth a common return. Analogue with common return and tracks switched on/off on a control panel. Not seen anyone else use this technique but it was one of the experiments I tried that did work as intended, Decking I used was photo mount card, the angled braces upside down flat bottom rail.

[Edit: I need to look at it again to seen how I isolated the tubes from the L girders. I have forgotten. Probably a mix of glue and soldered copper clad sleepers, live side down] 

Why in store? I promised it for a show unstarted and intending to use some experimental base ideas. They failed and in starting again in a rush under deadline pressure I got so sick of the sight of it by exhibition date it got stuck in the shed and left once I got it back after its' only outing. I will get back to it eventually but the 'burn out' put me off modelling for several months. Lesson firmly learnt, only promise a layout when it is already advanced enough to take it 'as is' even if still as a WIP. I still like the concept so over the summer ideally I should dig this one out for a repair and refurbishment job.

Photo 1 taken before I cut the section gaps into copper clad strip and added the deck and tracks,.

Photo 2 must have been done in a hurry some time later as the overoof is on backwards and had been damaged. The row of ridge roof covering was one of the didn't get finished in time items!

Traverserbaseearly20111IMG_0992.jpg.4e75649d8b94d477a4d113d7ea21ed12.jpg

travaserwithlocoIMG_1069.jpg.9f2bae5d147c11278344411b235e9aa9.jpg

Edited by john new
Missed a bit out.
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I've finally got around to weathering the Nu-Cast 2021 I started a year or two back. Just a few small bits to add and then I can start another loco kit with a clear conscience.

Here's a short clip of the 2021 on a test train of 19 wagons.

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

37 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

@PupCam Or you could save a small fortune, make the Vroom Vroom and Chuff Chuff noises yourself and use your imagination.....

Seriously though, if I wanted sound on my railway, it would come from a speaker under the layout, not on the trains.  When you observe the real railway, you get the doppler effect as a train goes past; if the noise comes from the model locomotive you don't get that.  The sound needs to be of the location - so all the background noises as well - not the train.

I read about such a system with distributed speakers under the layout in an American model railroad magazine quite a few years ago. The sound moved speaker to speaker somehow. 

Model locomotive sound doesn't hack it for me, especially steam, it just does not seem right. Having said that I have two O scale non DCC sound fitted locos. Both Atlas.  Both bought s/hand off ebay, and the first one I did not know it was sound fitted (F7 diesel loco) - scared the living daylight out of me when placed on the track and power was applied !!! The other is a 0-6-0 steam switcher. The "chuff" of which is (to me) unrealistic a tad annoying.

On both locos a low voltage starts the sound but no loco movement occurs untill a higher voltage is applied. Various air pump sounds, gurgles, bangs etc are generated. To sound the horn / whistle you toggle the reversing switch, a quick double toggle action sets off the bell noisily !!. You would think the loco would reverse but it doesn't unless you stop it.

Very noisy (like many Yanks !!). I don't particularly want anymore, but they are nice locomotives, run and haul well.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

it would come from a speaker under the layout, not on the trains. 

You'll be getting even less Doppler from a stationary speaker!  

The Doppler from the moving loco is imperceptible (but technically there)  at our scales and speeds but you still get the sense of movement of the engine that wouldn't be present with loco sound from a fixed speaker.  The Doppler is not the only aspect that gives the impression of motion (and in reality diminishes as the minimum distance to the target increases).    If you stand at the middle of a 20' long layout, close your eyes you will be able to tell from which direction the train approaches, when it is level with you and in which direction it is departing (assuming you've got reasonably good and matched hearing) all without the microscopic amount of undetectable Doppler.   Just to play Devil's advocate; if you did so, you  would also have the benefit of the image of a perfect locomotive pulling a perfect rake of coaching stock in your mind's eye that doesn't have to gloss over that terribly wonky dome, those wobbling carriages, the really poor weathering on that sub-standard paintwork,  etc etc 😉     Remember the saying the pictures are better on the radio?

I agree that the static sounds of the environment are also needed  to truly complete the sound picture but I do believe that sound can add to the atmosphere and the illusion of a model railway.   It's certainly not compulsory any more than having to work to a perfect gauge/scale relationship is, or use a real rather than imaginary prototype,  exclusion of fixed geometry track work or non-prototypical stock, have working signals etc etc.     

And ultimately in the case of dispute I believe Rule 1 applies.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Seriously though, if I wanted sound on my railway, it would come from a speaker under the layout, not on the trains.  When you observe the real railway, you get the doppler effect as a train goes past; if the noise comes from the model locomotive you don't get that.  The sound needs to be of the location - so all the background noises as well - not the train.

Agree 100%.  I just don’t find models fitted with sound - be it steam, diesel or electric locomotives - sufficiently convincing.

In some cases I find it just distracts too much from the overall scene that a modeller has tried so hard to create.

But a separate sound system as part of the layout, as you describe, is to my mind a far more realistic option. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

I've finally got around to weathering the Nu-Cast 2021 I started a year or two back. Just a few small bits to add and then I can start another loco kit with a clear conscience.

Here's a short clip of the 2021 on a test train of 19 wagons.

Don't you worry 'bout your kit?

Very nice slow steady pace.

• Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, MJI said:

Want doppler effect, Valentas were great for this.

Stereo too - one at each end !!!!

Brit15

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Seriously though, if I wanted sound on my railway, it would come from a speaker under the layout, not on the trains.  When you observe the real railway, you stand in one place and get the doppler effect as a train goes past; if the noise comes from the model locomotive you don't get that.  The sound needs to be of the location - so all the background noises as well - not the train.

Another bugbear, for me, is that when I am at the junction on my layout I don't want to hear what's happening on the branch terminus, which is supposed to be 20-odd miles away but in reality is about 8 feet.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, PupCam said:

Just to play Devil's advocate; if you did so, you  would also have the benefit of the image of a perfect locomotive pulling a perfect rake of coaching stock in your mind's eye that doesn't have to gloss over that terribly wonky dome, those wobbling carriages, the really poor weathering on that sub-standard paintwork,  etc etc 😉     Remember the saying the pictures are better on the radio?

Let's all stop building layouts and just listen to Peter Handford LPs!

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 8

3 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

...listen to Peter Handford LPs...

Now we are cooking with gas. (Some fine CD transfers have been available, yet more convenient.) I propose that one hearing of his recordings on a good stereo set up will leave you never wanting to hear the electric mouse squeakings of DCC* sound ever again. (Small children will spontaneously demonstrate just how good a recording engineer he was. As the train fades into the distance, they get up and look behind the column loudspeaker producing the dominant sound.)

Play appropriate selected extracts  on a stereo sound stage roughly aligned with the layout, and your brain does the rest. Because sound is inherently multipath with delays, while light is direct path and instantaneous, we have been 'trained' from infancy to  make the association of moving object with imperfectly matching sound. My late Pa, who early in his career at Phillips spent his weekends with others making use of their recording studios, built his own stereo system once in the UK, and we would play the Handford recordings with the model trains running in the sound stage to great effect.

*Bear in mind I am a complete enthusiast for DCC's operational capability: the 'bolt on' of sound is a PITA, because it results in degrading of some RTR models, principally steam tender locos  (in OO leastways).

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 3