Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Hi Tony, just got round to this Thread - Stunning!!! - oh, and the layout's not bad !

Anyway my friend, I'ts really nice to see you writing again, in only the way that TW can write, witty, informative, and most important of all - readable, and not many people can do that when describing how to build a locomotive kit ! 

BTW, are you still as hopeless at cricket as you ever where ?!!

Best regards and hey Tony, get well, the hobby needs you.

Allan.

• Like 3

Regarding lamps, I have always felt that those available seemed overscale and therefore looked far too big on the front of locos. Any reccomendations as to any make of lamp that is correctly to scale (4mm)?

ScRSG,

Have you tried the lamps from the 3mm society ?

gresley

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Keep your eyes open for the next MI in BRM Larry, I wouldn't say it's thorough as Tony and I spent a lot of the time gassing!

attachicon.gifLB_Bongrace_BW.jpg

Hi Andy

May I ask you what has happened to MI, the last addition was No5 last year.

Is MI No6 coming out or have I missed a communication somewhere.

Regards

David

ScRSG,

Have you tried the lamps from the 3mm society ?

gresley

Have tried to locate the 3mm headlamps on the 3mm society web page - but have drawn a blank.

Can someone point me in the right direction - please

Have tried to locate the 3mm headlamps on the 3mm society web page - but have drawn a blank.

Can someone point me in the right direction - please

Me too, apparently the locomotive parts are not on their website yet. So stuck as to how to find them.

• 2 weeks later...

Me too, apparently the locomotive parts are not on their website yet. So stuck as to how to find them.

ScRSG --- Thank you for your reply.

I will keep a look-out on the 3mm web site and will let you know if the items appear in the future.

regards RCAR6015

• 2 months later...

I know it's been a while but here's some images as an update of life on Little Bytham.

As promised, some more recent Little Bytham pictures.

For the record.....

The Crownline A2/2, 60504 Mons Meg was built by me and painted by Ian Rathbone. It formed an article in the Railway Modeller some years ago. The Little Engines O4 was built, painted and weathered by Tony Geary. The stock in all the shots is a mixture of kit-built and modified proprietary items by myself, Tony Geary and Rob Davey.

post-18225-0-95663800-1374479449_thumb.jpg

The DJH A1 was built, painted and weathered by Tony Geary. It formed an article in BRM some years ago.

post-18225-0-98114400-1374479451_thumb.jpg

The DJH A2/2 is a mixture of kit and scratch-building by me and was the prototype for the DJH kit. Ian Rathbone painted it. It formed an article in MORILL many years ago. The modified Bachmann O4 by me formed an article in BRM three years ago.

post-18225-0-99734000-1374479453_thumb.jpg

The DJH A3 was built and painted by Alan Hammett.

post-18225-0-91458200-1374479455_thumb.jpg

The O1 is Hornby's latest model, renumbered, detailed and weathered a bit more by me. A superb runner, it's a pity the bulbous smokebox door as modelled by Hornby was carried by so few O1s, including this one.

post-18225-0-32604000-1374479457_thumb.jpg

The Jamieson V2 was built and painted by me. It first appeared in the Railway Modeller nearly 30 years ago.

post-18225-0-28528200-1374479458_thumb.jpg

The modified Bachmann B1 is the latest type from the firm, renumbered to 61070, detailed and weathered by me.

post-18225-0-07527600-1374479460_thumb.jpg

The pair of modified Bachmann B1s comprises the latest Bachmann B1 as shown before and 61206 which is a Bachmann body on a Comet chassis by Tony Geary. Note the replacement smokebox door. 

post-18225-0-99811600-1374479461_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

post-18225-0-99580600-1374479569_thumb.jpg

Of possible interest is my recent 'modified' Hornby O1, especially as a Tyne Dock conversion of one appears in the latest BRM. All I've done is renumber it (to one that carried the actual bulbous door - unfortunately the model in BRM isn't right in this regard)) changed the pony wheels to something nearer scale, added real coal and fire-irons and weathered it a bit more. I've pictured it in B&W because I think this captures the period more.

The DMR K1 is obviously under construction, and I'll be writing that up for BRM.

post-18225-0-75323700-1374479568_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 10

Thanks Tony for your excellent photos of your excellent layout.

Your progress is bringing the layout to life.

I like the weathering on your 01.  Very subtle.  I decided that I would not buy an 01, but when the weathered version came up on a UK shop website for 40% off RRP, I snapped one up.  I have seen in a same named model rly magazine an article on weathering the 01, but felt it was a little over done to my liking.  So I am thinking I will adds some weathering on the body at some stage. 

enjoying it all, layout, locos and stock.

Mark in OZ

Just to follow up, the O1 started off as Hornby's weathered version, but I thought this was much too uniform and confined merely to the bottom half. I don't own an airbrush (not even a hairbrush!), and all my weathering on locos and stock is done by dry-brushing, using a mixture of Humbrol enamels (not acrylics, for they dry far too quickly) - browns, greys and black, all satin and matt, applied by Winsor and Newton watercolour sables (accept no synthetic substitutes!). Using prototype pictures as a guide (black and white is useful for giving tone), I just apply the paint in a 'north-south' direction, replicating the effects of gravity, especially where you get dribbles from whistles, wash-out plugs, safety valves, snifting valves, etc. This must be very difficult to reproduce with an airbrush. The trick is to break the model down into sections - cab elements, boiler cladding segments, tender sides, etc, treating each piece in turn. If not happy, remove with thinners or apply more after the paint has dried. Even 'dragging' semi-dry paint can work, for this can produce a slight 'crusty' effect, suggesting lifting/cracking paint due to heat or over-exposure to the elements. I have a guinea pig old Hornby 'Britannia' body on which I practise, though it's 'grown' over the years due to successive applications of paint. Weathering can often have a slight 'shine' in places, hence the use of satin paints as well, and don't forget that replacement smokeboxes were often painted shiny black, leaving the rest of the loco encrusted with filth. Those without replacement smokeboxes will often display the effects of burning on the lower part of the door, giving a rusty red appearance.

The 4F was done in just the same manner. I'll post some pictures of other locos weathered in this way, soon.

Larry, thanks for the positive comments. The embankments are covered with a mixture of hanging basket liner, dyed horse hair carpet underlay and Woodland Scenics' elements. Different shades/tints of green can then be added with dabs of artists' acrylics. The exposed limestone is exactly that, taken from the actual site - I just pound it up in a polythene bag, sprinkling the bits over applied PVA adhesive.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon T. I really enjoyed the BRM article on the Tyne Dock 'conversion' and your loco looks superb. I am ashamed to admit that I have the 'Little Engines' kit version but, of course, that is only 2/3 complete and has been for a few years. It was to be a Tyne Dock loco but I think it might now just get 'moved on'!

If I may just gush a little more, those 4Fs look excellent. I can hear the barking exhaust right now.

Finally, great to 'see' you on here again.

Pounding up rock and coal in bags or destroying a NuCast  lump of white metal is my way of venting spleen about some miserable line manager who has kindly informed me about how I should be 'performing' at work; works a treat! 

Sincerely, Phil @ 36E 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh-Oh, '22 has had 'supervision' !!!

As a South Shields lad I have have a soft spot for Tyne Dock locos, but that B&W shot of the 01 is simply superb, Tony.  That a loco of that standard can be produced from a R-T-R model amazes me, your weathering skills are excellent.

• RMweb Premium

Neil, supervision would be a luxury, but that's not for here, unless TW wants to tell us one of his wonderful anecdotes about his 'pupils'!!!!

Anyhow, I'm half Consett so that's why I like 01s.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Lovely photos Tony - I seem to remember the V2 from a layout a long time ago - was this before or after a visit to the Corn Exchange?

Barry O

• Like 1

With regard to the three pictures in the previous post, what might be of interest to RMwebbers is that I've recently been providing information to Golden Age Models with reference to the ex-LNER's streamlined carriages' use post-war in BR trains. Two of the pictures - the one of 'The Talisman' and the one of 'The West Riding' show various ex-streamlined twins in their consists. Golden Age Models are considering making examples of these in OO in BR condition (the ones in the pictures, I made from Mailcoach products years ago and are deficient in detail and craftsmanship, though they have had a hard life, seeing service on Fordley Park, Leighford, Stoke Summit and Charwelton, enjoying semi-retirement now on Little Bytham). The difference is Golden Age's cars will be magnificent in comparison to mine, all-metal, beautifully finished in carmine/cream or maroon with all the appropriate detail incorporated - extra doors where necessary, skirts removed, roof mounts added, etc. The firm makes (or soon will) all the streamlined sets ('Silver Jubilee', 'Coronation', 'West Riding') in their LNER condition in OO to run behind its A4s, to go with its similar range in O gauge, so offering individual twins or triplets in BR condition seems a good idea. Though none of the pre-war trains were re-instated complete, the Golden Age masterpieces could run in several trains - six of the pre-war 'West Riding' cars ran in the post-war equivalent train in early BR days (then four, then two, then none), the rest of the train being made up ordinary Gresley or Thompson stock, then BR Mk.1s. Similarly, the others just ran as individual twins or triplets - FO/FO in the 'Master Cutler' and 'South Yorkshireman', then in the afternoon 'Talismans', the ex-'Silver Jubilee' dining triplet in the morning fast from Newcastle, returning at 5.30pm, and Dining Third/Open Third in 'The Aberdonian' between Aberdeen and Edinburgh to give examples. For a time the five non-catering cars ex-'Silver Jubilee' (Brake First/Semi-Corridor First twin and Open Third Triplet) ran in the post-war 'Fife Coast Express', originally still in silver, then in carmine/cream, which does give a complete train option. There's also the delight of the beaver-tail observation cars in carmine/cream or maroon - in the latter livery, before rebuilding and after rebuilding, they ran on the scenic Oban and Kyle lines in Scotland. I wish the firm well in its venture.

I've included some more pictures to illustrate my dry-brush weathering techniques. Though a couple might have been seen in the mag', I don't think they've appeared on RMWeb. 

post-18225-0-32640000-1374576460_thumb.jpg

The B12/3 is from Coopercraft and featured in BRM many years ago. As far as I know, it's the only example that was ever made, and worked (other than the firm's display model, which was a non-runner), unless members know otherwise. I believe very few were sold, and, as a business venture it didn't succeed. Mine represents one of Grantham's allocation in the '50s, unlined and grimy - the 'look' achieved by my dry-brush effect over a base of Halford's car-spray satin black acrylic. 

post-18225-0-12342400-1374576462_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-12776500-1374576464_thumb.jpg

The two pictures of the 9F depict Bachmann's original model (which was pristine), not even renumbered but slightly detailed and only slightly weathered by sable - more of a thin wash more than dry-brushing really. I wanted to depict it in the condition it would have appeared in when, say, a month or two old. I'll include pictures of absolutely filthy 9Fs later. The cattle vans and other vehicles in the train are dry-brush weathered by my typical method as well. 

post-18225-0-00262000-1374576466_thumb.jpg

With regard to the trains passing shot, the jury's out on the 'smoke'. I know it's fashionable now to include smoke effects in model shots, but I'm not sure about its veracity. I admit my Photoshop techniques aren't up to scratch, and some might see my effects as a 'mess'. Perhaps viewers will express (sorry for the pun) an opinion, but, at best, I'm ambivalent. What I hope the picture illustrates is two types of weathering. The A4 (modified Hornby) was slightly weathered by John Houlden for me, using an airbrush. This gives a pleasing, uniform finish - one I'm very happy with, for the loco is clean for a top link duty. The A3 (Wills on scratch-built chassis, built by me at the dawn of time) was brush-painted and slightly dry-brush weathered by me. I know the tight perspective doesn't show the technique to best advantage but I hope you can see where I've 'buffed up' segments of the boiler side using a cotton bud to give a sheen through the applied dirt, replicating areas where cleaners have had a go. Obviously, the top of the boiler remains sooty. 

post-18225-0-82799000-1374576457_thumb.jpg

The B1 is, once more, Tony Geary's Bachmann/Comet conversion, weathered by him with a mixture of airbrush and dry-brush. Any visible stock is dry-brush weathered by Rob Davey and me. I think it's safe to say that any model railway item, be it locos, stock, track, structures looks far better for weathering. Leave the shiny stuff to the display cabinets.

Please tell Barry Oliver that the V2 did indeed run on Fordley Park at the Corn Exchange in Leeds in the autumn of 1980 - nearly 33 years ago and still going strong, and it was a few years old then!

Please also pass on my thanks to those who've wished me well during my illness - as the depression lifts, I'm able to do more things.

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 19

The B12/3 is from Coopercraft and featured in BRM many years ago. As far as I know, it's the only example that was ever made

Not quite, Tony, although Paul Dunn (the current proprietor) told me he didn't know of any except yours and mine.  Mine took three goes at the chassis before it ran well enough to pull anything except itself and the state of the firebox casting is still enough to bring me out in a cold sweat.

100_0581_zps685a9a8b.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 4