Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

I used to delight in bowling the most hostile deliveries to those youths who, for one reason or another, were horrible little bleeders. Today, their being nasty pieces of work would be excused by their having some disorder, syndrome or 'condition'. I once plugged one such odious character right in the chest, the ball spitting off just short of a length. He went down like a sack of spuds, gasping for breath. If I'd have punched him in the chest to give the same result I'd have probably lost my job. But, here, on the field of play, it was just a sporting accident. As mentioned, it couldn't happen today for at least two reasons. For one, such competitions are banned and I'm no longer in my late-'20s!

Tony,

The cricket stories continue! I had a good friend who taught at an all boys school,and a pretty rough one at that.He too enjoyed the staff (not masters!) student cricket matches at other schools where he had taught.On arriving at this school he was confronted with the prospect of having to face the bowling of two youths destined for great things.One name, Jeff Thompson, I am sure you will recognise, the other, probably less famous internationally, Len Pascoe.I don't think my friend suffered any serious physical damage but he was somewhat a nervous wreck  by the end of the game.Jeff Thompson's famous slinging action was the result of him being a champion schoolboy javelin thrower.

Again nothing to do with train sets but i thought I would add it to this now eclectic thread.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello Tony (et al)

I wonder if anyone can help with a long-standing query with King's Cross in BR steam days?

Most speed limits are in round figures...10mph, 20mph etc, but those at King's Cross station throat were 8mph. A photo on page 45 of P.N. Townend's book, Top Shed, shows the same speed limit applying to road traffic into the depot.

Is there a story behind that figure?

Brian Macdermott

• RMweb Premium

Hello Tony (et al)

I wonder if anyone can help with a long-standing query with King's Cross in BR steam days?

Most speed limits are in round figures...10mph, 20mph etc, but those at King's Cross station throat were 8mph. A photo on page 45 of P.N. Townend's book, Top Shed, shows the same speed limit applying to road traffic into the depot.

Is there a story behind that figure?

Brian Macdermott

I was once told that 8 mph was the lowest value speed on a loco speedo that the driver could rely on.  It was probably unreasonable to expect drivers to comply with 5 mph and 10 mph was not supported by the civil engineer.

G'Day Gents

I once had the disconcerting experience of coming out of Gasworks tunnel at 25MPH,at 3.30am,  after my driver fell asleep after leaving Bounds Green CS, with the 'odd stock' bound for Kings Cross, at Holloway I looked at my driver who was sitting up straight, with his hand on the controller which was fully open, and travelling at at 'least' 75 MPH, a few moments later I called across to him, asking him if he was 'alright' with a start he asked, 'where are we' I said 'just about to enter Copenhagen' tunnel' Oh sugar---- and slammed on the brakes, seeing that we had about 14 on and vacuum to boot, we took a while to slow down, we were still doing about 50MPH when we entered Gasworks tunnel, I was by that time starting to get a bit worried !!

We hit the end of the platform (5 or 6) at about 15MPH and stopped perfectly 10' from the buffers, on getting out of the loco, my driver said, shaking his head, 'I fell asleep, I don't believe it, I fell asleep' I never fell asleep on a loco again, whilst it was moving...........

manna

• Like 4

Well the artwork has gone to the etcher so "watch this space" as they say.

Most of my day at the bench today has been spent adding the finishing touches to 60012.  Lots of little things add up to quite a lot of time.  The recommendation to add the light blue Elizabethan headboard has been accepted but now I'm wondering whether I should put it on the upper or lower lamp bracket? Looking at a few photos in The Book of the A4s doesn't seem to suggest any logic to whether it was placed high or low.  I think I like it down low because it seems to be something fairly unique to the streaks.  It's also probably less likely to be knocked off in that position.

It seems much longer than a week since I posted this.  Along with all the robust debate of layout design,cricket and speed limits, all of it interesting and amusing I might add, combined with a lot of driving over the weekend and now a dose of the lurgy I finally find time to sit down and catch up.

Firstly for those that might have missed it the cabside screen etches are now available and a more detailed post has been put on my blog pages here....

Small loco detailing parts (LNER Cabside Screens)

Secondly the A4.  It was finally finished and delivered last Saturday.  Before I packed it up a couple of shots were taken, for the record, as my camera and photography skills are no match for Tony's.

Just a common-or-garden front 3/4 shot to start with.....

post-118-0-40986100-1411984188_thumb.jpg

but this one.....

post-118-0-61099100-1411985066_thumb.jpg

....was only a slightly successful attempt to replicate this....

000-0-a-j-oakley-60012-doncaster-L.jpg

The dubious spacing on the smokebox numberplate characters and my slightly wonky top lamp iron (straightened before delivery) are cruelly exposed

Cheers....Morgan

Edited by mlgilbert30
  • Like 17

It seems much longer than a week since I posted this. Along with all the robust debate of layout design,cricket and speed limits, all of it interesting and amusing I might add, combined with a lot of driving over the weekend and now a dose of the lurgy I finally find time to sit down and catch up.

Firstly for those that might have missed it the cabside screen etches are now available and a more detailed post has been put on my blog pages here....

Small loco detailing parts (LNER Cabside Screens)

Secondly the A4. It was finally finished and delivered last Saturday. Before I packed it up a couple of shots were taken, for the record, as my camera and photography skills are no match for Tony's.

Just a common-or-garden front 3/4 shot to start with.....

attachicon.gifP1120404_sm.JPG

but this one.....

attachicon.gifP1120416_sm.JPG

....was only a slightly successful attempt to replicate this....

000-0-a-j-oakley-60012-doncaster-L.jpg

The dubious spacing on the smokebox numberplate characters and my slightly wonky top lamp iron (straightened before delivery) are cruelly exposed

Cheers....Morgan

Wonderful work Morgan, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with your photography.

On the question of BR loco front numberplates, I've had several etched plates where the spacing has been inconsistent (like on your 60012).

post-18225-0-61828600-1411997642_thumb.jpg

By far the best, in my opinion, are those made by Ian Wilson of Pacific Models. They're printed paper, and one just cuts them out, runs a black felt tip around the exposed white edges, then just sticks them in place with the smallest dab of PVA or EVO-STIK.

The shot above shows one of Ian's products stuck by me to the front of one of Gilbert Barnatt's locos. Why folk muck around patching together transfers is beyond me, especially when Ian gives you every loco in the class on the sheet. Though there is obviously no relief (though in 4mm scale it's microscopic), these plates look more realistic in my view than etched ones.

• Like 8

As I've mentioned on Grantham's own thread, I've just spent the most enjoyable weekend with Graham and Gill Nicholas in Bishop Auckland.

Grantham is coming on in leaps and bounds and is starting to operate really well. 

post-18225-0-50082500-1411998274_thumb.jpg

Though there is clearly much to be done, this shot of part of the north end aspect illustrates just how impressive this layout is going to be. That said, the next time Graham asks me to include this magnificent underslung splitting signal in a picture I won't be responsible for my language! Those who know about post-processing will understand how many cut-outs were necessary. 

post-18225-0-42732800-1411998296_thumb.jpg

Speaking of signals, Graham is building the last one for me for Little Bytham, and is also installing the working mechanisms. The price? So far, this pair. I built these for him from SE Finecast kits as part of the deal. I painted the C12 black and he lettered/numbered it. He painted and finished the J69. An account of how I built the latter will appear in the next issue of BRM (the C12 has already appeared). Why did I not notice that the roof (a clip-fit) was not seated properly on the J69?)!

Because of his use of dead-frog points on crossings, both these locos originally had a tendency to stall on them. To obviate this, I fitted a set of pick-ups to the bogie of the C12 and semi-permanently attached the J69 to a match-truck with pick-ups fitted. Both work fine now. 

post-18225-0-40941300-1411998306_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-87299900-1411998287_thumb.jpg

I took up some finished/part-finished locos I've built (and building) just to give them a run on Grantham. I might well finish the V2 in apple green, just as a guest loco on Grantham. The under-construction B12/3 will be in BR black for the MR/M&GNR bit of my LB, and the B16/1 will be finished in LNER red-lined black for service on Thirsk and Grantham. It's now the property of Tom Foster, in part-return for his outstanding weathering on some of my locos. 

Once more, many thanks to Graham and Gill for their hospitality to Mo and me. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 13

Nice Locos Tony, a tiny touch of pedant mode re the V2 . I hope the cast Smokebox handle is being replaced !!  The B16 is lovely.

Couple of mine on the go, I started adding more of the lining on both today

Another G King V2 to be Green Arrow. Ignore the strange marks on the bodies, they have been caused by strong sunlight on the very shiny Precision paint.

post-7186-0-65061200-1412009467_thumb.jpg

post-7186-0-42863800-1412009488_thumb.jpg

GN  from a Hornby A3 with Graeme's resin parts again. I made the same mistake on the Tender with the Lettering spacing as on my recent A2/3 . I have corrected this on the A2/3 this one will have to stay as it is as to well sealed in to alter now. The Smoke Deflector is not fixed down.

post-7186-0-75407300-1412009499_thumb.jpg

post-7186-0-43205500-1412009536_thumb.jpg

Edited by micklner
  • Like 8

attachicon.gif60504.jpg

By far the best, in my opinion, are those made by Ian Wilson of Pacific Models. They're printed paper, and one just cuts them out, runs a black felt tip around the exposed white edges, then just sticks them in place with the smallest dab of PVA or EVO-STIK.

Thanks Tony,

I can't help but agree with that.  60504's number plate looks far better than the one on 60012.  Pacific Models duly noted for future reference.

Morgan

Edited by mlgilbert30

Nice Locos Tony, a tiny touch of pedant mode re the V2 . I hope the cast Smokebox handle is being replaced !!  The B16 is lovely.

Couple of mine on the go, I started adding more of the lining on both today

Another G King V2 to be Green Arrow. Ignore the strange marks on the bodies, they have been caused by strong sunlight on the very shiny Precision paint.

attachicon.gifIMG_6548.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_6549.jpg

GN  from a Hornby A3 with Graeme's resin parts again. I made the same mistake on the Tender with the Lettering spacing as on my recent A2/3 . I have corrected this on the A2/3 this one will have to stay as it is as to well sealed in to alter now. The Smoke Deflector is not fixed down.

attachicon.gifIMG_6545.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_6546.jpg

Thanks Mick,

Your locos are looking good; I look forward to their being finished.

Yes, the V2 smokebox dart. It looks far more prominent in the pictures, but it'll be replaced..............

• Like 1

Thanks Tony,

I can't help but agree with that.  60504's number plate looks far better than the one on 60012.  Pacific Models duly noted for future reference.

Morgan

Thanks, too, Morgan,

One thing I should have added (two, actually) is that it's necessary on occasions (where none is provided) to add a backing piece of shim brass (stuck in place before the loco is painted) to represent the actual 'thickness' of the cast plate; the paper actually being a bit too thin. The other is that Ian provides both 'right' and 'wrong' fonts for the '6s' and '9s', where appropriate. For instance, 60012 has the 'right' style of '6' on its plate, even though (for true Gill sans), it's 'wrong'. 60504 is 'right' on both counts. Latterly, many of the incorrect-font plates were replaced by correct ones, though not on 60012. 

Thanks, too, Morgan,

One thing I should have added (two, actually) is that it's necessary on occasions (where none is provided) to add a backing piece of shim brass (stuck in place before the loco is painted) to represent the actual 'thickness' of the cast plate; the paper actually being a bit too thin. The other is that Ian provides both 'right' and 'wrong' fonts for the '6s' and '9s', where appropriate. For instance, 60012 has the 'right' style of '6' on its plate, even though (for true Gill sans), it's 'wrong'. 60504 is 'right' on both counts. Latterly, many of the incorrect-font plates were replaced by correct ones, though not on 60012. 

Yes indeed it is a minefield for the unwary.  I bought some plates for 60104 and 60111 from Gary Wells (247 Developments) at Scaleforum yesterday.  Both had the true Gill Sans 6 on the smokebox plate.  I rummaged through some of the photo sellers stands straight after and discovered a photo of Solario at the time I want to model it with the curly 6.  Still looking for a photo of Enterprise during her time on the GC.

Yes indeed it is a minefield for the unwary.  I bought some plates for 60104 and 60111 from Gary Wells (247 Developments) at Scaleforum yesterday.  Both had the true Gill Sans 6 on the smokebox plate.  I rummaged through some of the photo sellers stands straight after and discovered a photo of Solario at the time I want to model it with the curly 6.  Still looking for a photo of Enterprise during her time on the GC.

I had the same problem with 60054, but used Ian's plate instead. 

I think you're safe with the correct '6' for ENTERPRISE. 

V2 looks excellent!

I've never seen a group standard tender with such a high rear coal plate. Is it a quirk of the kit or were some LNER tenders like that?

Cheers

Will

Thanks Will,

In answer to the question, some GS tenders had the higher rear coal division plate. Unfortunately, my relevant Irwell and Yeadon books are out on loan at the moment, so I can't tell you the references off hand. Though it's a stepped-out tender, on Page 41 of Yeadon's K3 volume there's an example of the high division plate. 

A glance at The Power of the B1s (Peter Swinger, OPC, 1994) will also reveal several 4,200 gallon GS tenders with this high plate (the page numbers running out in this publication is a constant source of irritation!). 

I'm sure I would have made certain I got this feature right, though I could have cocked-up. Both styles of plate are supplied in the tender kit (a DMR product).

If I paint the V2 in BR green, it'll be 60820. If it's to be in LNER green then I'll have to cut the plate down. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Tony,

Morgan

For donkey's years I have made smokebox number plates using Slater's 1.5 mm plastic numbers. Although the shape is wrong, they were a good option in the 1970s when I was happy to trade that off against the unrealistic (to me) look of bare brass, nickel or steel on etched plates. I carried on for consistency. I must say though that Ian's printed ones look first-class and having used his excellent coach roof boards I am tempted to make the change - particularly as the Slater's numbers are no longer available, probably due to worn-out tooling (the last few sets I acquired had more flash than number in some cases).

For donkey's years I have made smokebox number plates using Slater's 1.5 mm plastic numbers. Although the shape is wrong, they were a good option in the 1970s when I was happy to trade that off against the unrealistic (to me) look of bare brass, nickel or steel on etched plates. I carried on for consistency. I must say though that Ian's printed ones look first-class and having used his excellent coach roof boards I am tempted to make the change - particularly as the Slater's numbers are no longer available, probably due to worn-out tooling (the last few sets I acquired had more flash than number in some cases).

Thanks John,

Ian is a good friend, so I hope my endorsement of his numbers is not seen as nepotism. 

I'm steadily going through my fleet, replacing etched/transfer-fudged plates with his front numbers, especially where the style of '6' or '9' is 'incorrect', though it might be correct Gill sans. Earlier-style LMR plates are catered for, too, as are the larger ex-GWR front numbers and BR Standards. 

When I get back from helping with the final sorting of Dave Shakespeare's model railway equipment today, I'll post some further pictures for folk to make their own minds up. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks John,

Ian is a good friend, so I hope my endorsement of his numbers is not seen as nepotism. 

I'm steadily going through my fleet, replacing etched/transfer-fudged plates with his front numbers, especially where the style of '6' or '9' is 'incorrect', though it might be correct Gill sans. Earlier-style LMR plates are catered for, too, as are the larger ex-GWR front numbers and BR Standards. 

When I get back from helping with the final sorting of Dave Shakespeare's model railway equipment today, I'll post some further pictures for folk to make their own minds up. 

Here's a posed shot taken in the fiddle yard on the current St Enodoc layout by my friend David Lord, which shows a selection of Slater's front numberplates. Sorry about the lack of headlamps - fitting steel brackets to mount lamps fitted with micro-magnets is on the to-do list.

post-21039-0-13869200-1412165675_thumb.jpg

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 6

Here's a posed shot taken in the fiddle yard on the current St Enodoc layout by my friend David Lord, which shows a selection of Slater's front numberplates. Sorry about the lack of headlamps - fitting steel brackets to mount lamps fitted with micro-magnets is on the to-do list.

attachicon.gif20101231 002 loco line up in Up fiddle yard - David Lord.jpg

Thanks again, John.

You must be very patient, making up the plates from (I assume) individual Slater's numbers. They do look good, but the 'Grange' has a curly '6', which I don't think any ex-GWR locos ever received (is this true?). Every ex-SR loco did though, and the 'wrong' style of '9'. 

As promised, here are some more shots of Ian's front numbers.......... Apologies if some of these have appeared before.

post-18225-0-76240400-1412195149_thumb.jpg

The 247 Developments set came with a correct '6', which was incorrect for 60054. The nameplates have yet to be attached, but the 'correct' style of front numberplate from Ian Wilson has been fixed in place. Tom Foster did the beautiful weathering for me. 

post-18225-0-37826000-1412195159_thumb.jpg

A renumbered/weathered Bachmann O4 with a Pacific Models paper plate.

post-18225-0-72298500-1412195184_thumb.jpg

Compare/contrast the Bachmann O4's plate with this Little Engines O4 which had a cobbled-together transfer plate. It doesn't any more!

post-18225-0-15067900-1412195172_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-82726400-1412195192_thumb.jpg

Two renumbered/weathered/altered Hornby O1s with Ian's paper plates. The rubber footplates will be noted.

post-18225-0-46496700-1412195137_thumb.jpg

As mentioned, the earlier-style of plate for ex-LMS locos is also catered for. The problems with a transfer is evident in the halo around the shedplate. 

I hope the pictures above help, but the Pacific front numbers are really good. Obviously, care has to be taken cutting them out and making sure any felt-tip doesn't bleed (practise on one of the plates you don't need). It's my opinion, based on empirical evidence, that for my purposes, these plates are superior in appearance to etched ones, plastic ones and transfer ones. 

Comments, please. 

• Like 12

This morning was spent partly dismantling baseboards at Julie Shakespeare's home and helping (largely by keeping out of the way) with Gilbert Barnatt's heroic task of sorting out Dave Shakespeare's model railway equipment. He deserves everybody's greatest thanks. Andy York was also there and between us we partly sawed and crowbarred (is that a word?) our way through Dave's incredibly strong woodwork. Very sad, really, but it has to be done.

It'll be my near-future task to make good any damage to the larger diorama and make it presentable for display at Peterborough (where the two dioramas might well be up for sale - watch posts on the appropriate thread for full details). 

Another thing I said I'd have a go at was examining and repairing (if necessary) the numerous trees from Tetley's Mills. In true Shaky fashion these are impressionist in every way and several, if it's not too impolite, are a bit crude. But, if not part of a front-of-house scene and towards the background, some are not too bad.

One thing I've been considering is 'hiding' the ends of the kick-back sidings on the Down side of Little Bytham. Almost without exception, I have to fudge these out of the way in Photoshop. But, I looked at some of Dave's trees, tidied them up a bit and 'planted' a few at the back of the scenic section on the west side, to hide those sidings. In typical Wright hypocrite style, though there are/were many mature trees to the west of the line, they're a bit further away in reality. Selective compression? 

post-18225-0-97707600-1412196143_thumb.jpg

I think it works (though in purely compositional terms it might have been better to have the loco a bit further forward) and I'll leave these ex-West Riding trees to 'grow' a bit more in South Lincs. 

Speaking of selective compression and the 'robust' debate it recently generated here - having photographed Grantham at the weekend, I asked Graham Nicholas about my comments with regard to 'shortening' ECML prototype locations and the 'loss of credibility' because of it (in my opinion). Was he offended (Grantham, by the way, is compressed by nearly 50% overall)? He couldn't have given a fig, and recognised my comments were meant entirely with Little Bytham in mind, though he could understand how others might read more into them.  

And, this shot illustrates yet again (to me), how having this amount of 'nothingness' around this LB scene would not have been achieved in anything less than the (almost) prototype-length distance between the bridges on my scenic section. Not just the length, but the width as well. 

The WD has a Pacific Models front number as well. It's been beautifully built and finished by Tony Geary (and has a bit of a rubber footplate, too) and is hauling over 40 wagons. Without the layout length, this prototype-length train would have appeared way too long. That said, by breaking the scenic section up (as naturally with Peterborough North), then the foreshortening effect can be minimised. I cannot do that with Little Bytham because the station does not have an overall roof. Its very openness can only be achieved in an (almost) prototypical 'footprint'. 

Work has started on installing the (miles of) point rodding. 

post-18225-0-68259700-1412196129_thumb.jpg

More 'nothingness' as the solitary K5 heads north on a parcels working. I have to say, the presence of this loco on the ECML north of Peterborough is highly unlikely. However, it was built at a time when I'd built just about every other example of ex-LNER motive power, so I thought, why not? It's made from an old Wills K3 kit with a scratch-built chassis, scratch-built tender and various other bits of scratch-building. It featured in the RM in the last century. I only got it out of its dusty box because elsewhere on this site someone else is making the K5 and this might be of interest. 

I'm pleased with my new camera (which captured both these images). Using a wide-angle lens, stopped down to F.29, gives excellent depth of field and a nearer (though not quite) eye-level view. 

Once more, the open aspect of the layout is most important to me. 

I concede, operationally Little Bytham isn't that interesting. But, to see a representation of an ECML thoroughbred (not that either of the above locos are) bounding through at a scale 90+ (as happened this afternoon when a friend visited) is what my railway is all about to me. Fast, and wide open!

• Like 19