Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

In part response to a question elsewhere, several of Hornby's latest models have just arrived for photography for BRM. They include this very pretty pair of an L1 and 'Schools'. 

post-18225-0-53991500-1409834633_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-60168900-1409834639_thumb.jpg

Other items include a 'Castle and two train packs - 'The Northern Belle' and 'Brighton Belle'.

There's also this rather splendid milk tanker in O Gauge from Dapol.

post-18225-0-47168100-1409834873_thumb.jpg

Full reviews will be appearing in the magazine before long.

• Like 6

Tony, an entirely academic question from my point of view and quite possibly a non-starter in practical terms (no commission required if it is and you make an article out of it) but what is required to convert a Hornby L1 to 9000?  I gather there were quite a few differences between her and the rest of the production locomotives.

Tony, an entirely academic question from my point of view and quite possibly a non-starter in practical terms (no commission required if it is and you make an article out of it) but what is required to convert a Hornby L1 to 9000?  I gather there were quite a few differences between her and the rest of the production locomotives.

I doubt if I'll be conducting a 'conversion', but briefly.

9000 as-built (the only one erected at Doncaster) was different from others in the first batch in the following ways.....

Longer hinge straps on the smokebox door.

No footstep on the door.

Shorter ladder at rear of bunker.

Alternator fitted to nearside rear bogie wheel.

Tank fillers at front of tank tops, not central like others.

Shaded LNER lettering/numbering, with only 'NE' present when built.

I hope this helps. 

• Thanks 1

Blimey Tony, you're brave posting a picture of the Dapol milk tanker....

expect incoming hostiles presently 

Brave, me brave? 

You'll have to forgive me if I plead ignorance of what hostilities I should expect. Ben Jones asked me to photograph the Dapol milk tanker for BRM (I've taken several pictures, so as not to duplicate any I post on this thread in the main) and it looks very good to me. Is it such a poor model that, because of my lack of knowledge of such prototypes, I should have refused to take a shot or two? I doubt that's the case. 

Any political machinations always pass me by, because they don't interest me. If I think a model is right, accurate, value for money and well-made, or a layout is convincing, I say so. If not, I also say so. Always assuming I know something about a model, which I don't in the case of this six-wheeler. Hence my lack of comment. 

• Like 3

I thought modern ABS systems were supposed to help avoid this type of thing....

Does ABS mean automatic braking system? If so, then I'm stuffed. My car doesn't have it, nor traction control, nor air bags, nor power-assisted steering - nothing, not even a solid roof. 

I'm still in the dark as to what the recent posts means, though. I must be a bit dim (I expect a fusillade of 'agree' responses to this last statement). 

Anyway, today will see my taking dozens of pictures of dear Mr. Shakespeare's model railway stuff for you all to see. At least the end products of that should be unambiguous.

ABS is the identity of a member on here.

He is a very knowledgeable, experienced man who has been in the hobby for many years and provides excellent kits backed up by good and helpful advice.

Others would describe him as an outspoken, shoot from the hip pedant and rivet counter of the worst type.

He does seem to attract the same sort of division of opinion as the last but one CME of the LNER.

As you say Tony it is best to keep out of politics. :O  :no:

Bernard (with tongue firmly in cheek)

Does ABS mean automatic braking system? If so, then I'm stuffed. My car doesn't have it, nor traction control, nor air bags, nor power-assisted steering - nothing, not even a solid roof. 

I'm still in the dark as to what the recent posts means, though. I must be a bit dim (I expect a fusillade of 'agree' responses to this last statement). 

Tony,

Ivan's sense of humour may be a tad too subtle.  There is an argument that the Dapol model is an amalgam of various companies' tankers.  I shall ask Adrian Swain of ABS Models, at Telford tomorrow, whether he is stocking Dapol items.  Then run.

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Tony, the milk tanker by Dapol's own admission is an cut and shut job of a number of different companies wagons. The concensus appears to be that this amalgam suits some folk as it looks like a milk tanker but deeply offends others.

I imagine that if someone produced a model of a B1 that was 50% Black 5, you may have the odd comment to make! Have a look at the milk tanker thread, it's more entertaining than most TV!

Tony, the milk tanker by Dapol's own admission is an cut and shut job of a number of different companies wagons. The concensus appears to be that this amalgam suits some folk as it looks like a milk tanker but deeply offends others.

I imagine that if someone produced a model of a B1 that was 50% Black 5, you may have the odd comment to make! Have a look at the milk tanker thread, it's more entertaining than most TV!

Thanks Chris, and the veil has been lifted from these dimming eyes. 

'Rather splendid' was a photographer's comment, because it did photograph very well, but it was said without knowledge; a bit silly on my part, I admit. 

If it is a 'cut and shut' job of different companies' wagons, then so be it (I wouldn't know), and I can see it offending the purists. But, it'll also suit many for whom ignorance 'was' bliss.

As for the 50-50 B1/Black Five, I imagine many of my comments would be more than odd. But, it certainly wouldn't be just me!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

........ but deeply offends others.  

I can understand this , however.......................

Prayer for the day.

Dear Lord. May we be defended from people that have nothing better to do with their time than to argue the finer points of s****g six wheel milk tankers.

May they just have the courtesy to point out the 'problems' to the manufacturer, or at least offer their services as a 'consultant'.

Thank you.

Right, I'm going to say this again to such fellows and lasses......life is too short, get on with life and stop getting your soldering iron lead in a twist.

So there....pah!

Mad Duck of 36E

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony,

I thought you might like, or be equally horrified to see this.

http://www.scarboroughtvnews.co.uk/railway-exhibition.html

All the best,

Mike

Oh dear,  'so how long does it take to make a model'?!! 

Did they edit out question referring to the length of string. 

Jerry

• Like 1

Today I had the strangely gratifying task of of photographing much of Dave Shakespeare's model railway equipment. I say 'gratifying' because it's the last thing I would have wanted to do. But, as I photographed many of the pieces, I was reminded of how much of his work had gone into them, how many happy memories they engendered and how it was a preparation for their going to new owners who'll cherish them dearly. I hope he would have approved. I'm not usually sentimental, so I hope readers will forgive this little piece of self-indulgence, but he was a dear friend.

Gilbert Barnatt has been doing the monumental task of cataloguing just about everything, and between us we've attempted to identify the more esoteric items. If we're wrong with some pieces, our apologies. He deserves great thanks.

The task should be completed by next Wednesday, along with my checking and testing each piece of motive power (most have not run for over two years). I'll clean and oil as necessary, and I can assure any prospective purchasers that no loco/unit will be offered for sale unless I'm happy with its running. Once done, Andy will put all the pictures on the appropriate thread where folk can view them as they wish.

During his illness, Dave had managed to complete two corner areas of the new Tetleys Mills, one of which is pictured in the following two shots. I photographed them before they'll be cut-out and placed on display, starting at Coventry. The work was impressionist Shaky at his very best, as I hope these pictures show. Though the images do exist in colour (and I can add sunny skies if necessary), when I first saw the models I thought Colin Gifford! If there is any resemblance to that master's prototype photography, it's entirely down to Dave Shakespeare's incredible ability to produce 'atmosphere'. I hope my efforts are worthy of his work. Apologies for being sentimental again.

attachicon.gifDiorama 01 B&W.jpg

attachicon.gifDiorama 02 B&W.jpg

Simply stunning, nothing more to say.

I hope they'll fit in the poky Peugeot when I come up next week Tony; roughly what size are the boards?

I didn't measure them Andy, though the one with the Metro-Camm DMU on is about a foot longer than the amount shown in the picture.

I suppose the larger one is about 4' 6" long, on a curve, but don't quote me. Can you get an idea from the other pictures (below)?

post-18225-0-23696500-1409998345_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-90640900-1409998361_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-15624900-1409998374_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Oh dear,  'so how long does it take to make a model'?!! 

Did they edit out question referring to the length of string. 

Jerry

Jerry, what can one say?

I did my best to answer some of the questions with my usual b******t and attempted to evade most of the others! Mercifully, a fair bit of my waffle was cut.

It was a jolly good show, though and the TV stuff was typical of what's expected, I suppose.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tony,

I thought you might like, or be equally horrified to see this.

http://www.scarboroughtvnews.co.uk/railway-exhibition.html

If you wish, skip to 2.42 to miss out my bit and get to the Wright stuff.

Thanks for your contribution and company on this enjoyable weekend.

All the best,

Mike

Presenter is pure cheese, almost a caricature of smashy and nicey. Brilliant!

• Like 1