Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

Tony,

I'm amazed at your decision to use set track turnouts in the M&GN fiddle yard. It seems to counter all the good work you did in getting smooth flowing pointwork/ transition curves etc. to enable trouble free running, although that was probably mainly on the mainline section. Easing their radii slightly may help offset the worst problems but the inside radius is truly heroic! I speak from experience as I had one on my last layout and the roads it accessed had to be banned for large parts of my fleet. In particular all articulated stock was a no-no. Never again as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, if it works for you then good luck, but I'd test it fully before committing to lots of wiring in of point motors.

All the best 

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Good morning again, Jesse,

As promised...................

attachicon.gifLifting section 01.jpg

The lifting section on LB was built, as were all the baseboards, by my dear friend, Norman Turner, of WMRC, in exchange for locomotives. It's a form of 'future-proofing' against the time when none of the operators can bend! It lifts just 'over-centre', with a bracket attached to the roof joists to stop it going too far. 

attachicon.gifLifting section 02.jpg

The hinges came from an old paste table, and are turned round so to speak. All the main framework/deck, like the baseboards, was built of 9mm top-grade, birch ply. 

attachicon.gifLifting section 03.jpg

Connecting wires were made long enough to loop up and down with the lifting section's movement.

attachicon.gifLifting section 04.jpg

The end of the lifting section rests on this substantial strip of 9mm ply. Because everything is made of the same material, no problems have been encountered with twisting or warping. 

attachicon.gifLifting section 05.jpg

Once dropped down, tracks are aligned using appropriate sizes of brass tube and brass rod, the tubes being soldered to the copperclad strip and the rails BEFORE the rails/tubes were cut with a slitting disc. The tubes/rods give alignment and pass electricity. Note the substantial copperclad strips, Araldited to the top of the baseboards for security. I've seen rails soldered to individual (puny) copperclad sleepers or rails just soldered to brass screws at baseboard edges. Hopeless! 

attachicon.gifLifting section 06.jpg

A very important bit (one of a pair, one each side). This household brass sliding latch performs two functions. One, it ensures correct initial alignment and, two, most-importantly, without it being slid into place (both sides), no electricity can be fed to the lifting section. Thus, no Down train can disappear into the abyss should the lifting section be inadvertently left up! Up trains stop just before it, anyway, if it's left up. 

attachicon.gifLifting section 07.jpg

Because the thing goes over centre when raised, to prevent rail ends clouting each other, they're a bit far apart with the deck down. No matter, it just gives a most-realistic clicketty-clack as the wheels cross the joints. Are these gaps too big for P4?

attachicon.gifJohn's lifting section.jpg

St Enodoc's lifting section. Variations on a theme? 

I hope all these help. 

Regards,

Tony.

Just one point Jesse to note in those photo's, if you haven't already seen it, is the angle of the end of the lifting section, that is quite important and also helps avoid rail ends catching. I also used over centre hinges on some baseboards and sourced them from a firm that made folding loft ladders. They are a little bit more substantial than those on pasting tables. I have a couple spare if you are interested.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Phil,

Having been in the 'editorial chair', there never is enough space to feature so many pictures. However, I believe there are more in the digital edition. 

My copy arrived today as well, and I have watched the DVD. I'm generally pleased with it, though I could have wished my pronunciation had been better in places. 

I'd appreciate comments from readers about the LB 1938 DVD; constructively-critical comments, please.

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

I've enjoyed the video this morning. Well worth the cover price alone...which is just as well as apart from LB this month's issue is a little light! Overall I thought both the video and article were superb, but you asked for constructive criticism so here goes:

• I loved the commentary, but I would have appreciated more information on the trains. Sometimes this was very good, like on the quint set and the 1888 Flying Scotsman, but there were some trains where nothing behind the tender got a mention. For example two lovely articulated twins behind the K4 didn't get a mention, and some explanation of the work involved in modelling the prototypical formations would have been interesting.
  • I thought your promotion of modelling a prototype in the magazine was well argued, but the case was weakened by a succession of 'rule 1' type trains on the video (the K4, P1, P2, long tom, iron ore train…). Any one of these could be justified, but surely a prototypical location deserves a realistic typical service, and therefore the vast majority of the trains presented should be appropriate to the time and place.
  • the ride height anomalies that you discussed previously were very evident in some of the video footage.
  • Finally, the digital magazine extra photos were welcome, but the lack of a caption reduces their benefit. Not one for you, but I think BRM could easily add a little more value here with extra captions.

These are tiny niggles in what was a most enjoyable read/ watch. Here's looking forward to the 1958 version.

Regards

Andy

Good morning Tim,

Since I've never watched Doctor Who since the first days of William Hartnell, I had no idea that Silurians were an alien race. 

A much better-looking SILURIAN (in my opinion) in 1964 at York. A year later, when I last saw her, she (he?) was nameless and abandoned on 50A.

The Silurian Aliens were relatively early .. though after your era. They first appeared in 1972 I think with John Pertwee as the Doctor.

The inspiration by a convoluted route I think was the same ... the Geological period ... via the racehorse in the case of the Locomotive.

I always rather liked this photo of her 

post-25312-0-17619600-1539250384.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

The Silurian Aliens were relatively early .. though after your era. They first appeared in 1972 I think with John Pertwee as the Doctor.

The inspiration by a convoluted route I think was the same ... the Geological period ... via the racehorse in the case of the Locomotive.

The Silurians were cousins of the Sea Devils. It was later acknowledged that the name didn't make any sense with regard

to the era they were supposed to have come from (much more recently than the true Silurian period). They were rather

good monsters in any case, with an ethical dimension often lacking in earlier creations.

Al

• RMweb Premium

I always rather liked this photo of her

attachicon.gif60121a.jpg

Geological epochs would give rise to some interesting engine names. Jurassic and Cambrian would be evocative, though I’m not so sure about Pleistocene!

On the subject of hingeing baseboards, standard hinges can be used effectively, if they are positioned so that the hinge pivot is above rail level. Though the pasting table type, by fixing to the baseboard sides, does avoid intruding onto the baseboard top - useful if track clearances are tight. Again, rail gaps can be eliminated if the pivot axis is positioned above rail height, at the join.

Edited by Chamby

• RMweb Gold

I think I've heard of selenium (isn't it a current girl's name) and I've only seen an oscilloscope in old, B&W science fiction movies. 

Now that is a very subtle play on words Tony. An electrical component made of selenium and you ask if its a "current" girls name.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just one point Jesse to note in those photo's, if you haven't already seen it, is the angle of the end of the lifting section, that is quite important and also helps avoid rail ends catching. I also used over centre hinges on some baseboards and sourced them from a firm that made folding loft ladders. They are a little bit more substantial than those on pasting tables. I have a couple spare if you are interested.

Jamie

Quite right Jamie, which is why my set-up has the rather unusual hinge arrangement, which eliminates the need to taper the board ends. I can't take any credit for the concept - it was developed by a fellow BRMA member in Adelaide, who built his from 1/2 inch steel plate.

If you, Jesse or anyone else would like to see more, I described the construction on my own thread starting here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94350-mid-cornwall-lines-1950s-western-region-in-00/page-4&do=findComment&comment=1861100

The sign is seen by visitors as they approach LB, with the door open. 

Am I right to assume therefore that the door folds back 180 degrees to lie flat against the outside ... otherwise not so much ahead but rather to the side. Unless of course the 'ahead' refers to time and not direction?

Electra was the daughter of King Agamemnon and Queen Clytemnestra of Mycenae in Greek mythology. She was the sister of Iphigenia and Chrysothemis, as well as Orestes, with whom they planned the murder of their mother and her lover, Aegisthus, seeking revenge for the murder of their father.

electra2-4916.jpg

Her namesake loco ran off DC current so she never met Selenium, thus was never rectified for her misdeeds !!

8366443761_af7b1d4563_b.jpg

Brit15

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Baz,

I didn't drive in Australia, though I was a pedestrian. And, as a pedestrian, why is it always the likes of me who has to move to the side when some dope (both genders) appears to want to walk right through me as their eyes are glued to their mobile phones? This happened about a dozen and more times when we were in Sydney, though not as often in Hong Kong, even though the place teems with far more folk. 

Are there more in the way of injuries now caused by folk walking into lamposts, striding into the road, falling over obstacles or just bumping into each other because they're constantly looking at their phones? And, not just one - one guy nearly mowed Mo and me over whilst looking at two at the same time; one in each hand. One for each eye?

It'll surprise nobody that I NEVER used my mobile phone while we were away. Mo used hers a few times, just to confirm arrangements. When we ate with friends, we spoke to each other. When we walked around, we took in the sights. Why is it that mobile phones have become so addictive? Some other diners didn't even look at what they were eating, and never spoke with each other - they just fiddled with their phones, all the time. How uncivilized in my opinion. 

Hi

Strangest thing I saw on holiday this year was a man and a woman sat at a table both on their phones for the whole time with their backs to each other.

It was only when they left the table together I realised they were a couple and hadn't spoken a single word to each other in the 20 minutes they were sat there.

Cheers

Paul

Sorry I couldn't "resist" the above post !!

Regarding lifting flaps, I decided to make a lifting bridge instead of a flap for my O gauge layout. I used a suitable piece of block board with upside down paste table hinges (same as Tony's). Electrical continuity is via short flexible wires at the hinge end, and I also have two colour light signals on the lifting half.

When it is raised vertical it is secured by a piece of wood attached to the garage roof truss as shown in the photos below. When lowered the bridge rests on a spring hinged flap also as shown. This flap when raised also prevents trains running off the open end (been there !!). There is a 1/8" gap in the track at the hinge ends and the rails don't foul (just) when raised. A "disguised" slide bolt on top of the bridge (placed there for convenience of use) locks the bridge securely. I built this Bridge in 1996 and have no problems bar the occasional minor track adjustment.

The bridge sides were built after the lifting flap / track was built & working, attached by screws to the edges of the blockboard, and are thus just cosmetic.

post-6884-0-67418400-1539259935_thumb.jpg

post-6884-0-14761300-1539259957_thumb.jpg

post-6884-0-72329100-1539259993_thumb.jpg

post-6884-0-62750100-1539260016_thumb.jpg

post-6884-0-87407500-1539260036_thumb.jpg

post-6884-0-44232100-1539260057_thumb.jpg

post-6884-0-76270800-1539260080_thumb.jpg

post-6884-0-04422000-1539260105_thumb.jpg

post-6884-0-02188900-1539260125_thumb.jpg

post-6884-0-21573800-1539260157_thumb.jpg

post-6884-0-51237100-1539260177_thumb.jpg

Brit15

• Like 7

Very disappointed now. I've been looking forward to seeing the Little Bytham session on DVD since it was announced on this thread BUT the WH Smith copy doesn't come with the DVD this month - only subscribers have the priviledge of seeing the footage.

• RMweb Gold

Very disappointed now. I've been looking forward to seeing the Little Bytham session on DVD since it was announced on this thread BUT the WH Smith copy doesn't come with the DVD this month - only subscribers have the priviledge of seeing the footage.

If you don't have a tablet or smartphone, you can use your computer to sign up for a pocketmags account and purchase the online version through that, then you are able to watch it in the browser.

https://pocketmags.com

I hope this is useful! It's a great watch so would be a shame if you miss out.

I picked up a copy of BRM on the way home, no DVD! What a con, it's the first time I've bought the mag in some time, I won't be buying any more. Nice cover (almost), the best shot spoiled by an uncouth graphical mess. 'Tackeroo' is a very nice bit of modeling though.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy

How many years of general usage do selenium rectifiers start to break down and cause a problem to our model locomotive and multiple units motors?

I looked up the expected life of a selenium rectifier, 60,000 hours. I will let each person who is interested work out how long their H&M controller has left to last.  And they are only 85% efficient. Modern controllers with silicone diode rectifiers are near 100% efficient. I cannot readily find anything relating to their life expectancy, is there a measurable one?

I think many of the older controllers that people swear by could be coming to the end of their natural lives if fitted with a selenium rectifier. If what Andy says about them allowing high amounts of AC current to the motors then if I had one I would possibly think again about using it, even with an indestructible Lima pancake motor. There are a good range of modern DC electronic controllers on the market.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I remember the comments on RMWeb about H&M controllers. They were posed by Mick Bryan or Newbryford as he is known. He works for DCC concepts at Settle. IIRC he said that we should be careful. However I have always had H&M Duettes as standby controllers on Green Ayre and have had no problems with a mixture of Mashima, Escap and Buhler motors. I think the main point that Mick made was that the peak voltage could easily be at least 17 volts.

Jamie

H&M are great provided the following words are on the front

Either

"Powermaster"

or

"Safety Minor"

The two electronic controllers ("Executive" and "Commander") are not good with coreless, but fine with anything traditional or ringfield

I used a Safety Minor and Commander for years

• Like 1

I looked up the expected life of a selenium rectifier, 60,000 hours. I will let each person who is interested work out how long their H&M controller has left to last.  And they are only 85% efficient. Modern controllers with silicone diode rectifiers are near 100% efficient. I cannot readily find anything relating to their life expectancy, is there a measurable one?

I think many of the older controllers that people swear by could be coming to the end of their natural lives if fitted with a selenium rectifier. If what Andy says about them allowing high amounts of AC current to the motors then if I had one I would possibly think again about using it, even with an indestructible Lima pancake motor. There are a good range of modern DC electronic controllers on the market.

Wow, you must use your controllers a lot.

If you average say 3 hours per day for 5 days per week assuming a 48 week (you have to be on holiday sometime) year that totals 720 hours per year.  At that usage it would give you 83 years. Given how long my units have been boxed I suspect I would have around 60 years left on my clipper at that rate. 

You get 28 years usage on 6 hours a day 362 days a year !

Edited by Lecorbusier
  • Like 1

H&M are great provided the following words are on the front

Either

"Powermaster"

or

"Safety Minor"

The two electronic controllers ("Executive" and "Commander") are not good with coreless, but fine with anything traditional or ringfield

I used a Safety Minor and Commander for years

What about Clipper and Duette? (images off the web)

post-25312-0-80286300-1539269398.jpgpost-25312-0-03213300-1539269429.jpg

• Like 1

I too was disappointed there was no DVD. I went through the link on Page 80 suggested in the mag and had to enter a 'competition' so they can send me the DVD (could have asked for a link as an alternative). This meant registering an account and did not cost me anything.

I think the DVD is on the way as there were no questions for the 'competition' Very convoluted, and not impressed.

Edited to remove actual link.

Edited by Bill Matters

Are these gaps too big for P4?

The vertical and horizontal alignment is the most critical in any gauge (although wide treads and deep flanges will overcome some poor alignment and gauge deviation). The gaps shown (but not quoted) don't seem to be greater than you might find on any traverser, sector plate, portable layout baseboard joints, etc. in 4mm.

Never mind, it gave you the opportunity to mention P4.

• RMweb Premium

What about Clipper and Duette? (images off the web)

attachicon.gifHammant-and-Morgan-HM-Duette-Model-Railway-Controller.jpgattachicon.gifimages.jpg

They are evil resistance mat and according to a major British controller manufacturer were useless and evil and should never be used. That manufacturer though pushed a variable transformer model.

To be honest double standards, slag off a common and poor controller design but make them as well.

But then with the Safety Minor I could control anything from X04 to RG4.

But to be honest controlling a variable load with resistors is not a great method.

BR used tab changing with AC locos, a simplified variable transformer

• Like 1