Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

.......is when you mention to someone that what they have running, or a building, or anything is wrong, you get called the biggest a*shole in the world. 

A compliment, surely?  Very useful things - we'd all be in real trouble without one. :laugh_mini:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Go back even further and the GCR (when it really was the GCR) had a great variety of loco types, much variety in passenger stock and saw through workings from other companies.

I would lay good odds that there were more different classes of locos and more different carriage types working at say, Leicester Central in 1920 than there were at Little Bytham in 1957/8. Although I prefer even earlier, around 1907, when the carriages were brown and cream. 

In the 1950s, maybe the former GCR line was a bit dull. Sheffield Victoria always was a bit of a dump! History didn't start in the 1950s.

Give me a Robinson Atlantic on 6 panelled and fully lined out carriages over a Thompson pacific with 12 slab sided Mk1s behind any day! 

Edited by t-b-g
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Chamby said:

It is perhaps inevitable that some form of ‘time creep’ occurs when we move to model a specific time and place...our specific interests are very difficult to tie down to a single day.  Whilst ‘Rule 1’ is often quoted, that doesn’t sit so comfortably with prototype modelling, where someone else’s railway is being reproduced in miniature.  Being highly pedantic about some aspects of modelling, but selectively blind about other points is inconsistent at best.  

There are a number of ways to work around this though... Such as running a carefully structured sequence of trains that progresses through time, starting with the earliest date and ending with the last, but ensuring that everything is correct regarding what is running alongside what at any given moment in the sequence.  This is surely better than (for illustration) more randomly running Atlantic’s alongside Deltics, misrepresenting historical reality.  Indeed, this approach offers more historical interest and educational value than simply modelling a fixed point in time.  Careful choice of a location that didn’t change much during the period would be necessary though, to maintain standards!

In my case I am contemplating modelling two completely different points in time, with separate stock to allow running sessions on an either/or basis.  Getting the railway environment right will be a bit more of a challenge, and may require a modular approach to some of the scenery, but it should be possible.  Clearly though, it won’t be on the scale of LB:  Tony’s experience last year of rolling back the time demonstrated that stock-swapping on such a epic scale would be too logistically challenging to be undertaken regularly.

On the subject of photographic record and the accurate modelling of coach formations, I like the fact that this is a foggy area.  It adds to the intrigue of researching the subject, it means there is always something new to learn, and allows individual interpretation of the subject.  If it was all fully documented In black and white... where’s the fun in that?

Phil  

Phil,

i have considered both approaches if modelling two distinct periods and running through a chronological sequence. I’m a bit stuffed in that the sleepers that I’ve built so far are all from the mid fifties (because I found that period more interesting than post Mark 1, but without the trains being impossibly long as they were in the early fifties. This means I’d have to end in the middle of my time sequence! So I will have to be a bit less strict, but try to avoid anything too obviously clashing (like the C1/ Deltic) simultaneously.

i agree that poring through the photographic evidence is enjoyable, as is debating it on here. But I need to get better at making a note of useful reference material as I read.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

What I find difficult to accept are impossible situations where trains from totally different eras run side by side. This can often occur on club layouts, often at shows. I've mention before a Class 20 in BR all-blue, hauling a complete rake of brand-new, wooden PO wagons! 'That's what the owner likes' I was told. Each to their own, once again. 

Tony,

Totally agree with the 20 and POs being unacceptable! In my case that might be a production Deltic on a rake of teak liveried stock which I would never do. I allow a little more slack when it comes to trains passing in opposite directions. So my Deltic on maroon Mark 1s might pass the teaks going in the opposite direction with, say, an apple green A1. But I will have to try to minimise the more extreme such events in my sequence.

Regards

Andy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

With that in mind, Andrew's (Headstock) idea of modelling a line where there were far fewer trains makes sense. Except, it's boring in comparison. I can speak from personal experience of that. Kiveton Park gave easy access westwards to Sheffield Victoria or eastwards to Retford. I went to Victoria once (never to Sheffield Midland). The electrics I'd seen already, in Manchester, but the (very few) southbound 'expresses' were hauled in the main by B1s on the day of my visit. Contrast that to the next visit to Retford, where, in the first hour I'd seen three A4s, an A3 and two A1s! No contest; not for the trainspotter. 

Afternoon Tony,

This is boring? I fear that all those Bachmann MK1's have addled your brain.

45101 arrives at Sheffield Victoria with the Bradford portion of the South Yorkshireman. 60102 is at the head of the Sheffield portion, waiting to come on the train. Note the twin FO-FO, carriages two and three behind the A3. 45101's next working will be the Newcastle York Bournemouth as far as Leicester, if that is the Southern region set, it will return to Sheffield on the Eastern region set of the Bornmouth Newcastle service. Finally, it will work back to Bradford.

please observe copywrite.

Twin_FO_in_the_Sheffield_portion_of_the_South_Yorkshireman_Bradford_portion_alongside.jpg

Edited by Headstock
add info
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

Go back even further and the GCR (when it really was the GCR) had a great variety of loco types, much variety in passenger stock and saw through workings from other companies.

I would lay good odds that there were more different classes of locos and more different carriage types working at say, Leicester Central in 1920 than there were at Little Bytham in 1957/8. Although I prefer even earlier, around 1907, when the carriages were brown and cream. 

In the 1950s, maybe the former GCR line was a bit dull. Sheffield Victoria always was a bit of a dump! History didn't start in the 1950s.

Give me a Robinson Atlantic on 6 panelled and fully lined out carriages over a Thompson pacific with 12 slab sided Mk1s behind any day! 

The GC was never dull, thank you very much, even after the East coast surrender monkeys handed it over to the evil Midland empire. At that point it became tradgic but never dull.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Headstock said:

Afternoon Tony,

This is boring? I fear that all those Bachmann MK1's have addled your brain.

45101 arrives at Sheffield Victoria with the Bradford portion of the South Yorkshireman. 60102 is at the head of the Sheffield portion, waiting to come on the train. Note the twin FO-FO, carriages two and three behind the A3.

please observe copywrite.

Twin_FO_in_the_Sheffield_portion_of_the_South_Yorkshireman_Bradford_portion_alongside.jpg

You mean that they actually did things like add and detach portions and change locos? Much too interesting!

• Funny 2

Just now, t-b-g said:

You mean that they actually did things like add and detach portions and change locos? Much too interesting!

Being an East coaster train type, Tony will have arrived late and missed all the excitement.

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Today, my good friend Tony Teague arrived for some 'loco-doctoring', bringing with him some interesting Southern locos.

28295217_HornbySchoolsLEATHERHEAD.jpg.6d0713b7a379dec6fb186ba6afbb0ef5.jpg

First, was an ex-BR Hornby Schools, repainted into late-SR black, renumbered and renamed. The pin holding the back end of the eccentric rod to the return crank had come adrift (a not-uncommon occurrence on modern RTR locos with outside gear). A simple fix - just solder in a replacement brass pin. 

1203473452_PDKMerchantNavy.jpg.204a35c52e90cdedb42abf13d75353cd.jpg

Next we had a PDK original MN, where the front bogie kept derailing. An adjustment to the spring and a suggestion of adding more weight to the loco's front end. It ran around LB just fine, but couldn't take a typical 12-car rake. 

1790045803_DMRZ.jpg.2f0742e35763750b8a25deb641169d99.jpg

Finally, a DMR Z which just wouldn't go around 2' 6" curves. The diagnosis? Not enough sideplay in the axles (a common situation with kit-built locos). I dismantled the chassis and filed bits off the outside faces of the bearings, giving greater clearance. I then put it back together, stupidly putting the Portescap in back-to-front! So, take apart once more, turn the motor round and put it back together again. Also, repair the bit on the valve gear which came adrift! 

The result? It then ran round the 2' curves on the M&GNR bit of LB.

I've asked Tony to report again when he gets back home. 

Hi Tony

How good it is to see a few Southern loco's running on LB - even if they failed to haul your heavyweight stock!

Thanks as ever to you and to Mo for your generous hospitality and for returning three of my errant locos to the operating fleet.

I shall report back in due course as to how they continue to run on the home layout.

It was also good to be able to see the significant progress on LB's point and signal rodding; I always felt that the layout looked excellent without it - but once you see it in place it is difficult to imagine it not being there - so a significant upgrade, but whether I shall ever get to mine.....:dontknow:

Tony

ing

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Headstock said:

The GC was never dull, thank you very much, even after the East coast surrender monkeys handed it over to the evil Midland empire. At that point it became tradgic but never dull.

Maybe not dull in operation but the variety of locos and stock had largely gone once many Robinson designs were replaced by lots of B1s.

My dad was a big GCR and Midland enthusiast and his photos and notes of the operation of the lines around Mansfield show that there was just as much interest off the main lines as there was on it. For modelling purposes, those secondary lines have much to offer. Especially for those who see beyond the big loco on a big train for their enjoyment. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Maybe not dull in operation but the variety of locos and stock had largely gone once many Robinson designs were replaced by lots of B1s.

My dad was a big GCR and Midland enthusiast and his photos and notes of the operation of the lines around Mansfield show that there was just as much interest off the main lines as there was on it. For modelling purposes, those secondary lines have much to offer. Especially for those who see beyond the big loco on a big train for their enjoyment. 

Afternoon t-b-g,

I can't say that I agree with the first statement with regards to variety, just a different variety, however, I whole heartedly agree with the second.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having asked here about shed code plates just this weekend, I ordered some two days ago from Railtec and was very pleasantly surprised to receive them in the post today.  Quite remarkable given that they were bespoke 3D printed, and just 48 hours from order placement to receipt...  Here's an example, cruelly enlarged:

IMG_2946b.jpg.0fda64cb1f442e236f48e55b68f66ee1.jpg

First impressions:  they are easier to apply than etched versions, they are the correct colour, but perhaps not quite as sharply rendered.  They don't 'ping' across the room though.  Once applied, you need a magnifying glass to read them, but at least I know they are there...

IMG_2947.jpg.75a176d866d34eba287de8691c0c9356.jpg

Etched smokebox number plate (Fox), 3D printed shed code plate (Railtec)...   Usual disclaimers apply.

Phil

Edited by Chamby
Weathering and lamps to follow, of course!
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Afternoon t-b-g,

I can't say that I agree with the first statement with regards to variety, just a different variety, however, I whole heartedly agree with the second.

There have been a lot of B1s about on the thread just lately. Perhaps they have clouded my judgement!

I did start off modelling the BR period but found that I was just doing the same as everybody else. Back then, my modelling was very basic and most people seemed to be doing the same as me but doing it better, so I went back to LNER days to try to make my models a bit more unusual.

Nowadays I have gone back even further as there is so much RTR LNER period stuff about that looks as good if not better than I can make. I don't want to compete with it and I don't want to stop making things. So I have gone down the route of modelling the obscure! I dare Bahmann or Hornby to bring out an LD&ECR 0-6-0T 

30 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

There have been a lot of B1s about on the thread just lately. Perhaps they have clouded my judgement!

I did start off modelling the BR period but found that I was just doing the same as everybody else. Back then, my modelling was very basic and most people seemed to be doing the same as me but doing it better, so I went back to LNER days to try to make my models a bit more unusual.

Nowadays I have gone back even further as there is so much RTR LNER period stuff about that looks as good if not better than I can make. I don't want to compete with it and I don't want to stop making things. So I have gone down the route of modelling the obscure! I dare Bahmann or Hornby to bring out an LD&ECR 0-6-0T 

Afternoon again t-b-g,

I model the period from 1947 to 1950, at that time the B7's and B8's were still working over the London extension on fast goods and interregional workings. The Directors were at Neasden, with a regular long distance ordinary passenger train working to Leicester. The N5's and C13's were both regular visitors to the Leicester area and the A5's and J11's dominated the local services. Working alongside them were ex GN and GE locomotives and ex NE types came in on a daily basis. The Dean singles had long since gone but there were Hall's, granges, the odd County and even a regular working for a Castle into Leicester. There were more types of locomotives active in that time period than I have individual locomotive. Yet, I havn't even mentioned any of the LNER classes such as B17, V2 etc.

The Robinson matchboard stock still formed a major component of the ordinary passenger train stock well into the fifties. My next builds will be a Robinson matchboard BT (7) and hopefully a B7 locomotive, followed by a NE BZ, a J11/3 and a A5 tank. Like you, my chosen time period makes it quite difficult for the RTR boys to compete.

Edited by Headstock
Capital C on Castle
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Kier Hardy said:

...... and this is another impossible situation. Or is it?

It all depends on what you see, or what you want to see - everyone's different. 

shenston_steam90445.jpg

A most interesting picture, Kier,

What's impossible? The Austerity lamped-up for a pick-up freight, which that full mineral rake would hardly qualify as? Or both nearer signals displaying 'on', with the next one showing 'off'? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Afternoon again t-b-g,

I model the period from 1947 to 1950, at that time the B7's and B8's were still working over the London extension on fast goods and interregional workings. The Directors were at Neasden, with a regular long distance ordinary passenger train working to Leicester. The N5's and C13's were both regular visitors to the Leicester area and the A5's and J11's dominated the local services. Working alongside them were ex GN and GE locomotives and ex NE types came in on a daily basis. The Dean singles had long since gone but there were Hall's, granges, the odd County and even a regular working for a Castle into Leicester. There were more types of locomotives active in that time period than I have individual locomotive. Yet, I havn't even mentioned any of the LNER classes such as B17, V2 etc.

The Robinson matchboard stock still formed a major component of the ordinary passenger train stock well into the fifties. My next builds will be a Robinson matchboard BT (7) and hopefully a B7 locomotive, followed by a NE BZ, a J11/3 and a A5 tank. Like you, my chosen time period makes it quite difficult for the RTR boys to compete.

That is a time period that is very neglected by modellers. Those that wish to model what they remember tend not to be old enough and others tend to go for either 1937/8 or 1957/8.

I recall seeing a photo of a Q4 with BRITISH RAILWAYS in full on the tender and thinking how unusual it would look on a layout.  If I hadn't gone pregrouping I would be in a similar time frame. Dad took a few photos in the area showing things like the MET 4-4-4 tanks and an N2 and an N7 that were drafted into the area, along with the Tilbury tanks at Mansfield (Midland) shed. So the variety was certainly still around then.

I commend you in your choice of daring to be different.

Edited by t-b-g
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 30/04/2019 at 18:17, Tony Wright said:

Clive,

Am I the only trainspotter out there who never had the Thomas books? 

Did I miss them as a child? When were they first published? I was a nipper in the early-'50s, but I don't remember them. I was bought railway books then, such as The Railway Album and The Eagle Book of Trains (still got them), but never Thomas. That said, having read them to my sons, I don't think I missed out!  

Regards,

Tony. 

Apologies I am a bit late to this topic, but how funny this should be discussed here, as I've just posted about Awdry's books in my thread.

We've touched on it before I believe, and I know you aren't a fan of the books Tony....and literature is subjective of course, but it was Awdry's books that in fact, taught me how to read during a difficult time learning at primary school.

If you take out the fact, the engines have faces and are 'alive'....Awdry made sure his books were based on railway realism, with incidents being taken from 'The Railway Gazette'. They were written at the most perfect time as they cover the scrapping of steam locos on the 'Other Railway (BR)'. There is one very dark image of engines being scrapped awaiting their end in book 18 'Stepney the Bluebell Engine' written in 1962 (One loco telling another of the events taking fold on British Railways).
CihANFxWUAAKy7Y.jpg.767f5b63b9011a30d9da1292b6da0c22.jpg

In making the house more my 'home' since my Dad's passing, I've set up a display for all my original Awdry material....this is pre TV series stuff....all based on what the Rev W Awdry wrote from 1945-1972 and then what his son, Christopher wrote from 1983-2011. There is more here on my thread for anyone that is interested as I talk about why 'The Railway Series' has had such an impact on my life plus a photo of the aforementioned Awdry material.

Wilbert knew his railway stuff Tony.... 'The Railway Series' was based on fact far more than it was on fiction, and he never liked how the TV series handled later stories of their own making, which were frankly an insult to the Rev W Awdry's legacy.

If Awdry hadn't written his books, I can assure you I would never have had an interest in railways, or railway modelling.

My apologies for going off on one!

Edited by 9793
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, Kier Hardy said:

Once again, I can't write a new post without an old one coming up. 

No matter.

Many thanks for all the recent comments. 

I wish, though, on occasions folk would actually read what I've written. Regarding 'boring', I qualified it by stating 'in comparison'. 

My memory of Sheffield Vic' is of numerous electrics coming in from the west end (the big ones on the regular service from Manchester). Though not boring in themselves, none was a cop because I'd seen them at Manchester London Road or Guide Bridge. The A3s had just left, heading back to the GN, and any southbound/eastbound trains were hauled by B1s, K3s, K2s and D11s. In comparison, at Retford (which was about the same day-return from Kiveton Park), moments after alighting from the Lincoln-bound train at the great location, MERRY HAMPTON raced through northbound, and, moments later DOMINION OF NEW ZEALAND went south on the Tees-Tyne Pullman. Then, no less than MALLARD came through, MERLIN was on the 'Lizzie' and after that it was Pacific after Pacific. V2s were not even thought of as 'interesting' in comparison, because so few were named.

I am an unashamed trainspotter; born just after the War and growing up with main line steam all around. How could a place (however historically-interesting) compete in trainspotting terms with a main line populated by some of the largest and fastest locos in the realm, when it offered nothing but electric 'boxes' and smaller locos hauling short trains in comparison? I agree, this could be the observation of a Philistine, but my own modelling motivation is based on what I saw, what gripped me in my younger years and has been the principal subject of my model-making for the last 45 years!  

It's great to see folk making models of what they never saw (because they're too young), but my approach to modelling is pure personal nostalgia. In comparison with Retford (or, especially, Doncaster, York or Darlington), Sheffield Victoria was boring!

But, each to their own, as always. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 9793 said:

Apologies I am a bit late to this topic, but how funny this should be discussed here, as I've just posted about Awdry's books in my thread.

We've touched on it before I believe, and I know you aren't a fan of the books Tony....and literature is subjective of course, but it was Awdry's books that in fact, taught me how to read during a difficult time learning at primary school.

If you take out the fact, the engines have faces and are 'alive'....Awdry made sure his books were based on railway realism, with incidents being taken from 'The Railway Gazette'. They were written at the most perfect time as they cover the scrapping of steam locos on the 'Other Railway (BR)'. There is one very dark image of engines being scrapped awaiting their end in book 18 'Stepney the Bluebell Engine' written in 1962 (One loco telling another of the events taking fold on British Railways).
CihANFxWUAAKy7Y.jpg.767f5b63b9011a30d9da1292b6da0c22.jpg

In making the house more my 'home' since my Dad's passing, I've set up a display for all my original Awdry material....this is pre TV series stuff....all based on what the Rev W Awdry wrote from 1945-1972 and then what his son, Christopher wrote from 1983-2011. There is more here on my thread for anyone that is interested as I talk about why 'The Railway Series' has had such an impact on my life plus a photo of the aforementioned Awdry material.

Wilbert knew his railway stuff Tony.... 'The Railway Series' was based on fact far more than it was on fiction, and he never liked how the TV series handled later stories of their own making, which were frankly an insult to the Rev W Awdry's legacy.

If Awdry hadn't written his books, I can assure you I would never have had an interest in railways, or railway modelling.

My apologies for going off on one!

I'm sure the Thomas books were of great value to you, Tom,

But, I never read them as a child (though I did to my sons, who seemed to enjoy them). I even made a model Thomas for them!

634844094_Thomastoy.jpg.0c19fcfff46195e6503c027f7e33a660.jpg

Thomas.jpg.eb9bdaf0222a6c10e0fda96f24d39e32.jpg

He even sneaked on to Grantham on one occasion!

Right from being relatively young, I've really only read non-fiction material. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4

Just caught up - this thread moves so fast!  I loved the A4 pictures which showed the grace and beauty of these super machines. Sadly they did not venture eastward of Cambridge but I did see them at Peterborough and was hooked.  What is it about them that attracts us as the rather bulbous front (especially with the double chimney) is not the most flattering view?  Sideways they are a real treat for the eyes with the curves being smooth and complimentary. 

Some of the pictures on here of other folks layouts and models are really first rate. Thank you all for keeping us refreshed and interested.

Martin Long

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

A most interesting picture, Kier,

What's impossible? The Austerity lamped-up for a pick-up freight, which that full mineral rake would hardly qualify as? Or both nearer signals displaying 'on', with the next one showing 'off'? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony

Post 1962 the headcode carried by the Austerity would be a class 9, freight train stopping in section (trip or pick -up freight). There were many small yards in London which could possibly have a complete train of coal delivered to them from one of the many marshaling yards around the city. Or as Hornsey Broadway is based in North London it could be a cross London freight and the headcode displayed  indicates a train to (or from) the ER from (or to) Clapham Junction, Victoria or Battersea via Blackfriars. Info from the Ian Allan 1962 headcode book.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
miss e
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Once again, I can't write a new post without an old one coming up. 

No matter.

Many thanks for all the recent comments. 

I wish, though, on occasions folk would actually read what I've written. Regarding 'boring', I qualified it by stating 'in comparison'. 

My memory of Sheffield Vic' is of numerous electrics coming in from the west end (the big ones on the regular service from Manchester). Though not boring in themselves, none was a cop because I'd seen them at Manchester London Road or Guide Bridge. The A3s had just left, heading back to the GN, and any southbound/eastbound trains were hauled by B1s, K3s, K2s and D11s. In comparison, at Retford (which was about the same day-return from Kiveton Park), moments after alighting from the Lincoln-bound train at the great location, MERRY HAMPTON raced through northbound, and, moments later DOMINION OF NEW ZEALAND went south on the Tees-Tyne Pullman. Then, no less than MALLARD came through, MERLIN was on the 'Lizzie' and after that it was Pacific after Pacific. V2s were not even thought of as 'interesting' in comparison, because so few were named.

I am an unashamed trainspotter; born just after the War and growing up with main line steam all around. How could a place (however historically-interesting) compete in trainspotting terms with a main line populated by some of the largest and fastest locos in the realm, when it offered nothing but electric 'boxes' and smaller locos hauling short trains in comparison? I agree, this could be the observation of a Philistine, but my own modelling motivation is based on what I saw, what gripped me in my younger years and has been the principal subject of my model-making for the last 45 years!  

It's great to see folk making models of what they never saw (because they're too young), but my approach to modelling is pure personal nostalgia. In comparison with Retford (or, especially, Doncaster, York or Darlington), Sheffield Victoria was boring!

But, each to their own, as always. 

Evening Tony,

I read your qualification but couldn't see the relevance to the modelling point it was replying to, with regard to 'cutting your cloth' to achieve your goals as a modeller.

You statement, 'Andrew's (Headstock) idea of modelling a line where there were far fewer trains makes sense. Except, it's boring in comparison'.

Why is it boring in comparison? It is not as if you have modelled anymore trains than a similar sized prototype layout that had less trains in reality. It is just that you have produced a smaller percentage of the whole. Whatever you think of a specific prototype location in your memory, it has nothing to do with how good or bad a model railway layout can be. For example, I can't see any reason (certainly not the number of trains) why a model of Sheffield Victoria, or anywhere else, could not be as good or better than Little Bytham.

• RMweb Premium

That's a really interesting point. For Tony recreating the GN main line in a particular point in his past is interesting because it recreates that busy scene - interesting more because of that combination of speed, length of train and numbers of namers experienced than anything else. By contrast for those not recreating a point in time with which they have an affinity, interest can be more about variety of locos and stock (Leicester South) or a scene that fires the imagination (Iain Rice's or Jerry Clifford's layouts or Keith Armes's Chipping Norton).  For me, born in the 70s, I can spot (some of) the differences between model A3s processing past, but they hold no real interest. I'm looking forward much more to Headstock's grimy B7 in end of life condition in due course.  That just reflects the interests I've developed since the books I've been exposed to shaped my railway interest, and my fondness for something out of the model railway ordinary.

Simon

54 minutes ago, 65179 said:

That's a really interesting point. For Tony recreating the GN main line in a particular point in his past is interesting because it recreates that busy scene - interesting more because of that combination of speed, length of train and numbers of namers experienced than anything else. By contrast for those not recreating a point in time with which they have an affinity, interest can be more about variety of locos and stock (Leicester South) or a scene that fires the imagination (Iain Rice's or Jerry Clifford's layouts or Keith Armes's Chipping Norton).  For me, born in the 70s, I can spot (some of) the differences between model A3s processing past, but they hold no real interest. I'm looking forward much more to Headstock's grimy B7 in end of life condition in due course.  That just reflects the interests I've developed since the books I've been exposed to shaped my railway interest, and my fondness for something out of the model railway ordinary.

Simon

Good evening Simon,

the B7 is an important part of the Story I'm telling, a missing peice of the Jigsaw if you like. There are only a few peices to add now and it will be complete.

• Like 1

Thomas the Tank engine was where it started the railway interest for me, that and when I found out my Pop had a layout in his garage. I’d sit there, all day, watching Thomas! 

I still sometimes flick it on now, I got caught out the other week, it came up on Foxtel and my girlfriend had snuck into scare me and there I was, eyes fixed, not a care in the world, watching Thomas the Tank Engine at the age of 23..... 

• Like 8
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1