Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Either or?

I've certainly heard folk say they'd bought something off someone else.....................

Regards,

Tony. 

I was taught to use "from"; "off" or even "off of" being somewhat informal and ungrammatical. However, usage is king..

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

I'm thinking its certainly part of a SO. But maybe the brake section is actually from a full brake? Of course its also had at least a partial repaint.

John might be right that it could be longer now than a standard short HD, although I'm not certain of that. One problem is I don't have any HD coaches now for comparison, sold the last of my father's a few years ago.

Andrew

No it's standard length. It's created by cut n shut, in conjunction with cutting new window openings. If you look very carefully, you can see that the far left hand end window has been cut out of the plain side in that area, with the window bar added. The whole guard's luggage area is different (shorter) for a five bay brake coach as opposed to the four bay brake coach (ie the BSK). It's then had a complete repaint, as HD never did any of their coaches in blood n custard.

WP_20171213_23_46_07_Pro.jpg.b4ccadd10686661bdf05ddd5282393f2.jpg

Here's another, although this is just a straight repaint. It's a friend of my Dad's who does them, just for a bit of fun. Nice, aren't they? I think there's about four or five of them on the layout now, adding to the variety as Dad likes a mix of maroon and blood n custard, as you can see.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

32 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Actually, what caught my eye in the picture of the HD hybrid coach is the Gresley one behind it. Did any ever have their number positions so low? At the bottom of the side. I know some ScR-allocated Gresleys in maroon had the horizontal lining lower than standard, but all the numbers I've seen on them were still above the central beading.

Regards,

Tony. 

That'll be me! I made a series of these from Kirk kits over 20 year's ago, as the first attempt at a bit of variety on the layout. I like to think that I've become a little more fastidious since those days. At that date, just having a Gresley coach at all was something of a novelty - the HD tinplate versions were VERY crude and not really deemed acceptable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Another one from the Ernie Wise school of English............

'I’ve been meaning to email you Graham, do you mind emailing me them photos?'

Regards,

Tony. 

I speak good England 

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Somebody, once again, has to do this and it might as well be me but please don't call him Shirley.

I'll set 'em up, Tony, you knock 'em down.

• Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

38 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

... HD never did any of their coaches in blood n custard.

WP_20171213_23_46_07_Pro.jpg.b4ccadd10686661bdf05ddd5282393f2.jpg

Perhaps not the plastic-ended / roofed SD ones - but the all-tinplate ones certainly were; I had several.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

apart from measles, German measles, mumps, chickenpox, polio, TB, tetanus...

Except that Polio has now, I think finally been eradicated. 

As regards 'Use of English', transitive and intransitive verbs, correct use of articles and pronouns, and the degradation of 'weak' verbs and their participles leading to such horrors as 'forecasted', please can we leave this alone on this useful and entertaining thread. The rest of the world is quite depressing enough anyway.

I do like the pictures of the Aberdeen layout above. It appears to make some of the same compromises as regards curvature that my own railway does.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Perhaps not the plastic-ended / roofed SD ones - but the all-tinplate ones certainly were; I had several.

John Isherwood.

Indeed - I was of course referring to the so-called 'super-detailed' range of coaches from the late 1950s. Thanks for clarifying.

1 hour ago, Atso said:

Hello Tony,

I thought you might be interested in seeing my efforts on the first significant scenic item for Hadley Wood. Amazingly for me, it does not feature a single 3D printed component and is entirely scratch built (albeit with a little help from my cutting machine for the tunnel arch) in plastic card.

20200718_130955-1.jpg.fe992586faf1d2b5c12ba2aff5d57118.jpg

The big chunk missing out of one of the wings is to allow stock into the two loop lines at the front of the layout (despite the photo below, the tunnel mouth is square and level!).

20200717_163845-1.jpg.70255c2821b038dc503090ebc002abca.jpg

Splendid work Steve,

I've seen it on your thread, but thanks for posting it on here. 

The D16/3 to the right in the lower picture looks interesting. Is it Union Mills? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Splendid work Steve,

I've seen it on your thread, but thanks for posting it on here. 

The D16/3 to the right in the lower picture looks interesting. Is it Union Mills? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thank you Tony,

As this is my first true scratch build for some time, I'm quite pleased with how it has turned out.

The D16/3 is indeed a Union Mills product, and slightly too tall; hence its use as a clearance tester. I purchased it when they first became available and will eventually detail it and repaint into LNER lined black (it's already acquired a new set of wheels). At some point in the past I've used it to practice lining on - the stock Union Mills product has no lining. I plan to use it on some of the Down stopping services to Cambridge with one of the Royal Clauds (to be designed and built) operating in the Up direction.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Iain Mac said:

No, Tony was correct.

'from' or 'off'.

'Off of' is a particularly annoying trait infuriatingly used by south of the Ship Canal inhabitants and profuse in the language south of Watford Gap.

I think Jonathan might have had you there Iain... ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I do realise the in joke for gramatics and diction herein, and Tony's former profession.

Just a northerner pointing out the nuances of regional takes on the use of language, clean language that is.

"Off of" is a pet hate. However I managed to blend in when I lived in Kent 20+ years ago.

Edited by Iain Mac
Tempted to deliberatly alter spelling and punctuation on purpose. Just put a capital in where I'd missed one in the end.....
  • Funny 1

3 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Name three Olympic events beginning with the letter 't'?

T'Urdles

T'Igh Jump &

T'Undred Metres

(North country joke)

Get the off of t'internet did you?

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

T'Urdles

T'Igh Jump &

T'Undred Metres

(North country joke)

Tennis, trap shooting, two-man bob sleigh.

• Funny 1

49 minutes ago, Iain Mac said:

No, Tony was correct.

'from' or 'off'.

'Off of' is a particularly annoying trait infuriatingly used by south of the Ship Canal inhabitants and profuse in the language south of Watford Gap.

Yep, it's not 'off of'. But when working in Manchester it seemed they were all saying they got off of t'bus. Nope, they got off the bus.

Luckily Watford gap is a long way north of the M25 as no-one speaking estuary English would dare say off of.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

T'Urdles

T'Igh Jump &

T'Undred Metres

(North country joke)

Surely you mean Yorkshire joke. Lancashire would have been

Th'Urdles

Th'Igh Jump

Th'Undred Metres

Lloyd

(Married to a Lancashire lass - from Wigan)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1