Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Hi Folks,

Just one of the videos Tony and I made yesterday whilst running trains on LB. Sadly my upload speed is appalling this evening, but there are a few more to follow in the coming days. We should mention the scale speed is about 100mph, with no wheel slippage evident at all!

Cheers,

Tom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO0xBgv9Ack

Edited by grob1234
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I checked the crankpin throws again, as well as I could. Despite appearances in that photo, the wheel diameters are the same - 22.5mm across the tyres (see Stationmaster's observations above) - and the five ones seem to have a throw of 5 - 5.25mm as near near as I could measure. That's right for the 30" cylinder bore of a GWR loco so all else being correct, they should work, while allowing for Rail-online's point above. The odd-one-out wheel seems to have a crankpin throw of about 4.5mm.

I think the reason the odd wheel looks smaller in that photo is that it has no corresponding wheel fited on the other side of the axle, so it's free to slide out a little more from the chassis side, if that makes any sense. I just slipped it onto the axle for comparison purposes.

The Scalelink wheels, incidentally, look to be closer to 4mm - but then they don't purport to be specific types. My intention is to use them under an SE Finecast prairie.

Once again thanks to Tony for indulging this discussion.

I would check again  - and not based on the size over flange, but on the size of the tread to tread.

I ran a ruler over the image, and at the top the three wheel treads seem to be in line.  At the bottom, the centre wheel looks a tad smaller - allowing for screen magnification probably 0.5mm

I do not think this has anything to do with wheels on the other end of the axle.

Hi everyone

I really love this thread. You ever know what is going to pop up next! For my part I am not into DCC and I doubt that I ever will be. However I was greatly impressed with a sound fitted EE type 4 (Class 40) yesterday and would dearly love to have sound on my diesels. It must be possible to adapt a sound chip to work off DC but I would not know where to begin on that one.

I was also able to look at some old model mags specifically the Model Railways Illustrated edited latterly by Iain Rice. (Lots of TW's work shown there including some cracking locos and not all East Coast types either!) . Reading these with the quirky prose and the real "shows you how to do it approach" was a most enjoyable experience and made me wonder why current magazines do not have the same effect.

The hobby seemed a lot more vibrant then and I wonder why this is not the case given the superb offerings we now have from the trade. I watched at the test tracks as various folk unpacked boxes and ran the contents around. It seemed that the delight was rather muted. Everything worked as it should but the sheer joy of seeing your own creation strutt its stuff was missing. In that context I have to say that my creation failed dismally and was put back in its box with gnashing of teeth and bad grace! ( A J50 tank).

Martin Long

Most interesting observations, Martin.

I remember when MORILL was launched, under the joint stewardship of Andy Farquarson and Iain Rice. 'Achievable excellence' was its aim. I think it succeeded. Remember those hours at the MRC headquarters where I photographed Happisburgh? No mucking about with compact cameras and digital smoke then. Andy puffed away at his fags, blowing the smoke around a D16 on the shed as far as I can recall. After Andy left and the bit of an issue with Mr Rice, Jim Woods took over and I remember driving my old Sierra to the moon during the period (not just for MORILL), taking pictures of models all over the country. I wrote and wrote for it, too. Perhaps that's why it was sold by Irwell and disappeared. I really thought it had great potential, but, clearly, the market wasn't there. 

Perhaps there was more of a 'show you how' about the mags of yore. Certainly, there wasn't anywhere near the Cornucopia of RTR excellence present, so most constructional articles were on the building of loco and stock kits - at least as far as I was concerned. Master-modellers also created incredible architectural pieces. 

My latest BRM arrived today. Since I'm only a contributor these days, I hope I can read it with some independence now. I have to say there was a fair bit in this issue where modellers had made things, not just relied on what the trade had to offer RTR. So, in my view, it was very much a 'constructional' issue, if not everything being a 'show you how' article. Andrew Teale's writing describing the building of the stock for Leicester South is a terrific piece (even though I'm mentioned in it), beautifully illustrated by Derek Shore. It's fully in all the best traditions of kit-building/modifying locos and rolling stock. I commend it. Hollowbeck also displayed what must be dozens of kit-built locos, most realistically portrayed by Andy York. Loughborough Road also had not a piece of RTR motive power on it (though a pre-Grouping layout with upper-quadrant LMS/BR signals is a bit anomalous - however, no more anomalous than a steam special displaying no lights whatsoever on Blackmill). Though Brucklay appears to have a fair bit of RTR stuff, it must have been modified to become EM. These were the articles which appealed to me in this issue - definitely showing the results of folk making things. There are, of course, several step-by-step pieces. It might be my getting older, but these (to be fair, not just those in BRM) seem to be 'simpler' these days than those tackled by the likes of MORILL, though Phil Parker's rail crane is an interesting study in resin kit construction. The above are just my own opinions and observations.   

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

- however, no more anomalous than a steam special displaying no lights whatsoever on Blackmill).

Unfortunately, the steam special sneaked on whilst I wasn't watching..... My (it wasn't one of mine) steam fleet usually carries Class 1 headlamps. In fact, I need to fit a couple of them with high intensity headlights - perfect for DCC control........

(In modelling reality, it should be carying Class 5/ECS lights........)

Cheers,

Mick.

• Like 2

Since  lighting has been mentioned, the US TAT IV DIY DC Controller added a small fixed DC bias which matched the voltage loss caused by having constant lighting units in the locos and cars. So the lights stayed on and constantly bright, even when the controller speed was set to zero.

Andy

Mention of Iain Rice and MORILL brought backs heady days of the seventies, reading MR and digesting Iain Rice's articles on model building.  Coupled with his extraordinarily good drawings, it had a huge effect on me, and later on in MORILL I felt the overall effect was to move the hobby forward-Rice certainly inspired me to have a go.  His subsequent Wild Swan and Irwell books on loco, wagon and track building were hugely entertaining, and helped me lay down the criteria that I model too.  

I think MORILL disappeared because that end of the market was covered by MRJ-although it was a shame to see it go.

Hi all,

Sorry for backing up the topic a little but I've been interested by Phil Brighton's challenge to have to line out his DJH C1 atlantic as well as Tony's (and other's) comments about doing things one's self. Therefore I've decided to break cover and share my recent effort at painting and lining.

I recently purchased a copy of Ian Rathbone's painting and lining book and have been reading with interest. While I have previously managed to scratch some red lines onto N gauge bodies of locomotives the distinctive black and white lining of an LNER green liveried locomotive has defeated me. I previously lining my model of C1 3279 using transfers which were far better than my handlining efforts at the time. However, I've been itching to crack handlining LNER green just once and Ian's book has been a real blessing in encouraging me to have a go.

I've been playing with a rejected 3D print (dome and chimney issues) I have of a LNER B2 'Sam Fay' which I've painted using an airbrush and Tamiya acrylic paints. For the green I used Tamiya's flat green which doesn't look too bad against Precision's donny green but not a perfect match. Then the fun bit has come and spent a couple of days happily honing my bow pen to a better shape (as per the book) and lining 'Sir Sam the reject' using Humbrol enamels. The white and red lines have been done using the bow pen while the black lining is a mix of pen and brush work. I'm quite happy with how this is turning out at the moment but I've discovered that talent such that displayed by Ian Rathbone and Larry Goddard is a time honed skill of which I have a lot to learn! My own benchmark standard for this experiment can be seen behind 'Sir Sam' in the form of a Dapol A3. The two pence piece is there to give an idea of the size of the model.

post-943-0-39345400-1434213203_thumb.jpg

I'm doing some experiments using scotch tape for the boiler bands at the moment but will likely use decal paper when I get around to lining out a locomotive for real - please excuse the hair on the firebox, in my haste to splash some paint around I missed it!

• Like 6

Hi Tony

I am about to make start on a Dave Alexander LNER K4 kit. Have you built one of these and are there any pitfalls I should out for?

Thanks John

Good evening John,

Other than a tender, I haven't built a Dave Alexander kit. It went together very well. My own K4 was scratch-built a long time ago.

Can anyone out there help John, please. 

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

Good evening John,

Other than a tender, I haven't built a Dave Alexander kit. It went together very well. My own K4 was scratch-built a long time ago.

Can anyone out there help John, please. 

Tony. 

I built an Alexander K4 sometime in the 1990's...

post-408-0-61715300-1434221123_thumb.jpg

Headlamps were fitted later!

And huge apologies to Tony for hijacking his thread with a few diesels.........

I've also built a few of his diesels - well before the Heljan offerings, Teddy Bear, BTH Type 1, North British Type 1 and Clayton, otherwise known as Classes 14, 15, 16, 17

For some reason I haven't got pics of my BTH

post-408-0-28117100-1434221486_thumb.jpg

Just noticed the bent footsteps on the leading bogie

post-408-0-83099200-1434221487_thumb.jpg

And my favourite Alexander kit - powered with a big Mashima can and Branchlines multibox.

post-408-0-92277600-1434221488_thumb.jpg

They go together reasonably well, with a bit of fettling/modelling. If I had to build another Alexander kit, I certainly wouldn't say no.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Sorry for backing up the topic a little but I've been interested by Phil Brighton's challenge to have to line out his DJH C1 atlantic as well as Tony's (and other's) comments about doing things one's self. Therefore I've decided to break cover and share my recent effort at painting and lining.

I recently purchased a copy of Ian Rathbone's painting and lining book and have been reading with interest. While I have previously managed to scratch some red lines onto N gauge bodies of locomotives the distinctive black and white lining of an LNER green liveried locomotive has defeated me. I previously lining my model of C1 3279 using transfers which were far better than my handlining efforts at the time. However, I've been itching to crack handlining LNER green just once and Ian's book has been a real blessing in encouraging me to have a go.

I've been playing with a rejected 3D print (dome and chimney issues) I have of a LNER B2 'Sam Fay' which I've painted using an airbrush and Tamiya acrylic paints. For the green I used Tamiya's flat green which doesn't look too bad against Precision's donny green but not a perfect match. Then the fun bit has come and spent a couple of days happily honing my bow pen to a better shape (as per the book) and lining 'Sir Sam the reject' using Humbrol enamels. The white and red lines have been done using the bow pen while the black lining is a mix of pen and brush work. I'm quite happy with how this is turning out at the moment but I've discovered that talent such that displayed by Ian Rathbone and Larry Goddard is a time honed skill of which I have a lot to learn! My own benchmark standard for this experiment can be seen behind 'Sir Sam' in the form of a Dapol A3. The two pence piece is there to give an idea of the size of the model.

attachicon.gifSir Sam Lining Experiment.jpg

I'm doing some experiments using scotch tape for the boiler bands at the moment but will likely use decal paper when I get around to lining out a locomotive for real - please excuse the hair on the firebox, in my haste to splash some paint around I missed it!

Hi Steve

I have just gone over to the far side of the living room, so "Sam the reject" is the corect size for N, (not a RMweb word) 'ell that is very good.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif3442.JPG

I've also built a few of his diesels - well before the Heljan offerings, Teddy Bear, BTH Type 1, North British Type 1 and Clayton, otherwise known as Classes 14, 15, 16, 17

attachicon.gif8403s.jpg

attachicon.gif8577s.jpg

And my favourite Alexander kit - powered with a big Mashima can and Branchlines multibox.

attachicon.gif9538s.jpg

They go together reasonably well, with a bit of fettling/modelling. If I had to build another Alexander kit, I certainly wouldn't say no.

Cheers,

Mick

Oi Mick

You turn up at various exhibitions with a demo stand that looks like Van Gough has painted the stock while all the time you have some proper liveried diesels and more to the point they are made ones not out da box.  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono: 

Hi all,

attachicon.gifSir Sam Lining Experiment.jpg

Your lining work looks exceptional. My heartiest congratulations!

Given the quality of today's RTR N Gauge loco lining, one can see what you're up against in trying to (at least) equal it. It takes a top painter (like Ian Rathbone) to line to the highest standards. I'd say, looking at the work you're doing, it's going to be very good indeed.

post-18225-0-93016400-1434226469_thumb.jpg

This is what Farish currently achieve with its LNER lining.

post-18225-0-05718900-1434226477_thumb.jpg 

post-18225-0-06079400-1434226486_thumb.jpg

And its BR lined black - the last shot by way of a comparison with its 4mm stuff. 

post-18225-0-68072700-1434226493_thumb.jpg

Its BR green

post-18225-0-20667800-1434226505_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-07330900-1434226511_thumb.jpg

And its BR blue

All exceptional I'd say. 

post-18225-0-21990600-1434226421_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-77649600-1434226435_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-18829900-1434226448_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-19552800-1434226462_thumb.jpg

Dapol isn't bad, either. We might, though, comment that the numbering on the A4's cab is a bit too squeezed up. Or, that SILVER FOX never towed a 1928-type corridor tender. 

But, all the above are RTR. If one is building kits or modifying, whatever the scale, then those lining skills have to be honed (sorry about the pun). 

Edited by Tony Wright

I have spent much of the evening threading four handrail knobs on 0.45mm wire for the rear corners of my King tender and then I see that N gauge lining "effort"! I am envious of the skill shown. I expect I shall stick to transfers - also sorry for the pun.

• Like 1

attachicon.gif3442.JPG

attachicon.gif8403s.jpg

attachicon.gif8577s.jpg

attachicon.gif9538s.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Hello

Thanks for replies, hope I can make my K4 look half as good as Micks'

Cheers John

Your lining work looks exceptional. My heartiest congratulations!

Given the quality of today's RTR N Gauge loco lining, one can see what you're up against in trying to (at least) equal it. It takes a top painter (like Ian Rathbone) to line to the highest standards. I'd say, looking at the work you're doing, it's going to be very good indeed...

...But, all the above are RTR. If one is building kits or modifying, whatever the scale, then those lining skills have to be honed (sorry about the pun). 

Thank you Tony and everyone for your kind comments. As I said before, while I've been moderately successful lining single red (and yellow on some teaks) lines in the past, this has been a whole different (and steep) learning curve.That being said it has also been a very enjoyable process (if nerveracking at times) and I think that I've spent less time getting to this stage (not including the time for the paint to dry) than I did with 3279 by cutting and shunting tiny bits of decal. Looking at Tony's photos of rtr locos, I don't think I'm to that standard yet and most certainly not in the same universe as Mr Rathbone! Personally, I'd like to get a bit more consistent with the width of my lines.

I've created the brass beading around the top of the splasher (needs some touching up), did some minor touching in with a brush and ruled on some white onto my scotch tape boiler bands this morning. In in each case, I've learnt that it is far easier to rule/brush the lighter colour and use the darker one to patch up any mistakes - should have paid more attention to Mr Rathbone's techniques here. Anyway, as this is simply an experiment it's not disastrous and far far better than anything I've managed to achieve in the past.

I'm really surprised and please with the results so far and I hope that I'm able to repeat (or better) this when I get to tackling the real model. As Tony says have a go at these things, you never know when you'll surprise yourself!

• Like 2

However, it's in 4mm RTR where the standards of lining are currently approaching (or even bettering?) even the top professional painters. 

attachicon.gifHornby L1 R3189 02.jpg

attachicon.gifHornby L1 R 2959.jpg

attachicon.gifBachmann GC D11 Butler Henderson 31-145NRM 05.jpg

I couldn't get anywhere near this standard. 

I wished Bachmann would paint the handrails Green where required !!

One for Little Bytham in 1938.

post-7186-0-31367000-1434309357_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Hi Tony

I am about to make start on a Dave Alexander LNER K4 kit. Have you built one of these and are there any pitfalls I should out for?

Thanks John

Hi. Although I've not done the K4, I've built an Alexander J27 and J77, and an N10 nearing completion. Also a few of his tender kits on various conversions.

I've always found his kits to be good quality castings with little flash and fit together well. Instructions can tend to be a bit 'basic' though. Some kits in recent years have been upgraded to include a brass boiler instead of whitemetal in two halfs.

One point to watch is with the chassis, if it uses the tubular screw-in type frame spacers - these were seemingly designed for the old (thicker) drilled brass bar type frames and with the etched frames it results in a rather narrow chassis, so be careful with your gearbox selection, some are too wide to fit. Dont know if the K4 has that type spacer or just etched ones which should be wider though

Edited by kenw

attachicon.gif3442.JPG

*snip*

Cheers,

Mick

Geesh, Mick - that photo takes me back!  I bought an Alexander K4 on the back of seeing that photo of yours online over a decade ago.  Got the body built, but didnt have the confidence to complete the chassis and motion, so put it away; glad I did as I feel a lot more confident about completing it now, though it's a long way down my "to do" list.

Hi Tony

Thanks John

I hope you start a build thread John - might even convince me to get mine out!

Regards

Scott

Edited by jukebox

They said it couldn't be done... and they were right.

I have narrowly failed to get my C1 painted and lined in a week ready for its outing to Little Bytham. Cab lining is incomplete, glazing, varnish and a few other little details also won't be present.

It now needs to be packed away for a perilous journey up the 1:1 scale East Coast Main Line. I have a couple of days staying away for work prior so I may take a a few bits and bobs with me to see if I can do more if I get a dull hotel bound evening.

post-12639-0-89718100-1434499735_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil Brighton
  • Like 14

And the two too many spokes in the bogie wheels!

See you Friday.

Tony. 

Dang!. Missed that.

I only noticed they are roughly 2.33 mm too close to the ones on the other side. :jester:

But it's still a smashing model :senile:

Andy