Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, PMP said:

The only thing ‘wrong’ with Hornbys J50 is those three molded lamp irons. The rest of it is accurate and certainly meets ‘21st Century Standards’. 

But on the other hand if you are buying RTR (and have an of necessity portable layout that regularly needs to be put away when the room is needed for other domestic purposes) then not having bits breaking off due to handling is a bonus as, because it is plastic, they don’t easily stick back on. Horses for courses as they say.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

No wonder they ended up in the bargain bins for £49 which is what I paid for mine.

And to my "outside of the home counties", realistic financial expectations (every penny counts) , £49 sounds like quite enough to pay for an outsourced-to-cheap-far-eastern-mass-production 0-6-0 tank engine of fairly plain outline...

• Like 3

21 hours ago, jwealleans said:

20211202_183030-1.jpg.385e856e40f2d6d4e7738ab357fe00c0.jpg.88b14851813c2ea3c0c822459ed93c14.jpg

spacer.png

Snap!

Mine's a little older...

spacer.png

... and needs a lot more detail adding.

Very nice Mr Wealleans. I have to say, I'm really surprised by this, I was under the impression that there had never been a kit in any scale for one of these.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Bucoops said:

It was a very tongue in cheek comment - I enjoyed the challenge. I still have no idea what train they are intended for. I assume ECML and that's way outside my (limited) knowledge :)

As was my reply Richard. ;) I'm pleased that you enjoyed the challenge. :)

Further clues as to the formation (spilling over from our discussion elsewhere) the RF will be part of. It isn't a ECML formation, but is a named express and did make it's way off former GN metals onto the NER for the final leg of the journey.

O had two J50s both Keyser kits with scratch built chassis. They were J50/4 so had white metal hopper bunkers from the manufacturers of the LNER Q1 tank. Millholme I think. They both ran superbly, but in 2014 the motors on both gave up the ghost. I built them in 1974. When the Hornby models came out in 2015 I was delighted. They have been modified to look more realistic including bunker handrails. They run very slowly and sweetly.

20211213_193100.jpg

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Norton961 said:

Was that the longest wheelbase of any U.K. built 0-6-0?

David

Not actually sure(!) - the chassis was stretched from the J19 in order to accommodate the same boiler as fitted to the B12.

It was however the most powerful UK 0-6-0, prior to the appearance of Mr Bulleid's Q1.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Atso said:

Further clues as to the formation (spilling over from our discussion elsewhere) the RF will be part of. It isn't a ECML formation, but is a named express and did make it's way off former GN metals onto the NER for the final leg of the journey.

Very nice looking carriages......flying to the seaside by any chance?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Atso said:

Scarborough Spa Express?

John

• RMweb Premium
On 12/12/2021 at 18:02, MikeParkin65 said:

I'd cite the Locoman A4 project as the definitive - so far - example of what can be achieved with DCC sound in a 'steam' loco.

The majority of what makes models realistic is in the imagination of the viewer or operator - therefore what we need is a minimisation of the distractions that remind us that we are watching electric motored mechanical toys. Suspension of disbelieve they call it in the theatre. This is what makes Little Bytham such good layout - there are very very few such distractions. 

I would add Locoman’s Q6 and 8F sound files as ‘state of the art’ steam sounds too.  His A3 file on the LS5 chip also beats the other available versions by a country mile.

I understand why some folks slag off sound, especially steam, because there is some awful stuff out there!  But I would also point out that  there are also some awfully put together locomotive kits.  So don’t write off sound universally, just because you have heard RTR stuff making puny toy-like noises.  There’s an art to it, of course, with a steep learning curve just like any other aspect of the hobby.

That said, adding sound to a layout like Little Bytham would be mostly wasted, owing to its predominantly high speed running, where ‘steel on steel’ is the overriding sound.  I would just fit sound chips to the loco’s that stop/start in the station, shunt the yard, or chuff along slowly with a heavy freight.  Slow chuffing and communication whistles are where steam sounds work best.  Even with sound equipped models, I often turn off the sound once my models get up to speed.

The exception on LB might be the Deltic.  That is one high speed runner that probably would be worth chipping!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Been an interesting few days in the railway facebook groups. 

My W1 arrived
This arrived in the post today (W1)
My W1 is broken
My W1 is broken
My W1 arrived
My W1 is broken
Look what this W1 went for on eBay
Looking for a Hornby W1
My W1 arrived today 
My W1 arrived today
My W1 arrived today (plus video)
My W1 arrived today

Now I’m probably going to be shot down in flames for this (cue AC/DC song) but am I the only one that’s A: sick of seeing it and B: not that overly joyous about a Hornby W1? 

You rarely seen a W1 on LNER layouts, due to there only being a SEF kit, when you did see one it was almost like the real thing, “Hush Hush” but now every man and his dog will have one. I feel that railway modelling has moved away from “actual modelling” to what can one person have with the most money. There is no longer any skill required in the railway modelling world. When myself and others say this you get shot down with “it’s too hard”, “oh im not good at that” (when they haven’t even tried)and “rule 1” being abused. I get the first two quite alot when people see some of my wagons, “are they Bachmann” “no they’re kits” “oh much to hard for me”. Have a GO! Or when people say “why can’t Hornby or Bachmann do this loco” when there is a perfectly good kit awaiting to be purchased and built from a locally sourced manufacture. 

It doesn’t excite me one bit about my one arriving. Yes, I am getting one, but only the original condition W1, I have a resin kit here to finish of the rebuilt version by Graeme King. (Pictured: GK cut and shut on a Hornby A4, remind me to get the correct tender from SEF) 
It sounds hypocritical but I exploit what the RTR boys have to offer and kitbuild the rest, as most of you know.

Just the thought and ramblings of an Australian! 

Have I been hanging around you too much Tony? 

I posted this in a Facebook group, no doubt I’ll be cursed and thrown out. 

UPDATE: My post in a Facebook group was basically silenced because I went against one of the rules by talking about Rule1. Even though majority of the people agreed with me. 

788CEFEE-E935-411D-9685-5CE2638169C9.jpeg

Just press the Ignore topic . You dont have to read it then.

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

I actually wondered if you'd cut-n-pasted one of Tony's posts........ For what it's worth I completely agree with you both.

What it does show is how right Hornby were 20 years ago to focus on the collectors market instead of the train set market.  Those hoovering up the W1 and other models of one-off prototypes are really collectors, some of whom have layouts to run the models on.  It's their money, they can enjoy it how they like.

Without the space to build the layout I want to build, I am certainly more of a collector but it is often of the things nobody else wants any more, it's the models from the catalogues of my youth, with all their faults, which I can improve using the techniques recommended at the time.  The fact that there is a newer version that everyone says is infinitely better is of little interest to me, I'm happy with the one I have and don't want to spend £150 to buy the new one.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

8 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

My W1 arrived
My W1 is broken
My W1 is broken
My W1 arrived
My W1 is broken
Looking for a Hornby W1
My W1 arrived today 
My W1 arrived today
My W1 arrived today

Now I’m probably going to be shot down in flames for this (cue AC/DC song) but am I the only one that’s A: sick of seeing it and B: not that overly joyous about a Hornby W1? 

You rarely seen a W1 on LNER layouts, due to there only being a SEF kit, when you did see one it was almost like the real thing, “Hush Hush” but now every man and his dog will have one. I feel that railway modelling has moved away from “actual modelling” to what can one person have with the most money. There is no longer any skill required in the railway modelling world. When myself and others say this you get shot down with “it’s too hard”, “oh im not good at that” (when they haven’t even tried)and “rule 1” being abused. I get the first two quite alot when people see some of my wagons, “are they Bachmann” “no they’re kits” “oh much to hard for me”. Have a GO! Or when people say “why can’t Hornby or Bachmann do this loco” when there is a perfectly good kit awaiting to be purchased and built from a locally sourced manufacture. 

It doesn’t excite me one bit about my one arriving. Yes, I am getting one, but only the original condition W1, I have a resin kit here to finish of the rebuilt version by Graeme King. (Pictured: GK cut and shut on a Hornby A4, remind me to get the correct tender from SEF) 
It sounds hypocritical but I exploit what the RTR boys have to offer and kitbuild the rest, as most of you know.

UPDATE: My post in a Facebook group was basically silenced because I went against one of the rules by talking about Rule1. Even though majority of the people agreed with me. 

I couldn't agree more. I mostly build industrial loco's and have found myself resenting the RTR manufacturers for making industrials, an area where I formerly felt 'safe' in the knowledge that my kit and scratchbuilt efforts wouldn't be duplicated. Two recent acquisitions shown below - both will take work to improve and make a half-decent job of, but therein lies the pleasure...

s-l1600.jpg.02fedc5621f9c14e4d71eb05dbd78c66.jpg                

DSC_0064.JPG.1b4a1c461872735eea036cdecf3f1d2d.JPG

Edited by Barclay
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

My W1 arrived
My W1 is broken
My W1 is broken
My W1 arrived
My W1 is broken
Looking for a Hornby W1
My W1 arrived today 
My W1 arrived today
My W1 arrived today

You're just jealous because I've got one before you...IMG_3271.jpg.466797aec397855e96fe02c207bffa62.jpg

But yes, you are right. But at the end of the day, Hornby producing a model that sells very well can only benefit all of us, giving them more money to pump back into the hobby.

Besides, I think you've still got enough kits to build ;)

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

14 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

My W1 arrived
My W1 is broken
My W1 is broken
My W1 arrived
My W1 is broken
Looking for a Hornby W1
My W1 arrived today 
My W1 arrived today
My W1 arrived today

Good morning Jesse,

'Have I been hanging around you too much Tony?'

I have no idea, other than it's up to you. 

As for Facebook, I don't 'do' that, so can't possibly have influenced you in that regard. 

I share almost all of your views (those I don't, have nothing to do with railway modelling - tattoos, body-piercings, smoking, etc, but then I'm a old f@rt!).

I have come across this reluctance to make things many times. However, what I've found is that, given encouragement and being shown how to do things, most who have been reluctant to begin with then achieve remarkable success. It's like a veil is lifted. I've only had one 'failure' in my one-to-one sessions in showing the inexperienced/novices/newcomers how to make locos/rolling stock. That was mainly my fault. In my arrogance, I thought I'd be a good enough teacher. I wasn't! 

What I always try to dismiss is the notion that those who 'can' actually make models rather look down on those who can't (though I have a slightly different viewpoint with regard to those who won't). I dismiss this 'elitist' stance by acting as a tutor, conducting seminars, giving demonstrations and actually helping other to make things. 'Ivory towers' are best left uninhabited. 

I do understand the problems for those who are afraid of wrecking an expensive model (I have!), but those who are too timid (for whatever reason) to have a go will never have the satisfaction of being able to say 'I made that'! 

As an example of 'making things' (or running them), yesterday three dear chums and I ran Little Bytham. Two were Wolverhampton MRC mates, who'd actually helped build Little Bytham, the other a local old friend. The two Wulfrunians brought some models they'd made with them (or we'd made together) which were ex-Stoke/ex-Charwelton. Despite years now of their living in boxes, they all worked beautifully. There is no better feeling in my view than running locos/trains which we've all made, either individually or together. Not just the work of others, not just RTR (however much-modified) and not just the product of the 'chequebook'. 

The above said, of course, each to their own.

I'll post some pictures later. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
tautology
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

As many will know, that great modeller and railway author, Bob Essery, died recently. His  funeral is on Wednesday December 15th at 4.15 pm and If anyone wishes to view it will be available on:

https://wesleymedia.co.uk/webcast-view

Login/Order ID: 667952

Password: qhgnxtpc

The recording should be available for seven days afterwards.

In the event of problems logging in, telephone 01536 314890

Dave

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7