Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

18 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

As many will know, that great modeller and railway author, Bob Essery, died recently. His  funeral is on Wednesday December 15th at 4.15 pm and If anyone wishes to view it will be available on:

https://wesleymedia.co.uk/webcast-view

Login/Order ID: 667952

Password: qhgnxtpc

The recording should be available for seven days afterwards.

In the event of problems logging in, telephone 01536 314890

Dave

Should you have posted this on an open forum?

There are nasty people about.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I have come across this reluctance to make things many times. However

Tony. 

Is it perhaps also that life  seems to just get more full on and more demands for instant outcomes be that in work or outside? - It has an effect on many peoples Mojo's.  Perhaps some realise that they just don't have the time and so the RTR gives them the ability to achieve more in their limited time?

I just accept it will take yonks to finish anything as I'm always looking for details and trying to make things accurate - even to the point of taking far too long, but is that not the joy of our hobby and its broad church?

For me though there is nothing like the satisfaction of  turning a sheet of brass or nickel into something. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Jesse,

'Have I been hanging around you too much Tony?'

I have no idea, other than it's up to you. 

As for Facebook, I don't 'do' that, so can't possibly have influenced you in that regard. 

I share almost all of your views (those I don't, have nothing to do with railway modelling - tattoos, body-piercings, smoking, etc, but then I'm a old f@rt!).

I have come across this reluctance to make things many times. However, what I've found is that, given encouragement and being shown how to do things, most who have been reluctant to begin with then achieve remarkable success. It's like a veil is lifted. I've only had one 'failure' in my one-to-one sessions in showing the inexperienced/novices/newcomers how to make locos/rolling stock. That was mainly my fault. In my arrogance, I thought I'd be a good enough teacher. I wasn't! 

What I always try to dismiss is the notion that those who 'can' actually make models rather look down on those who can't (though I have a slightly different viewpoint with regard to those who won't). I dismiss this 'elitist' stance by acting as a tutor, conducting seminars, giving demonstrations and actually helping other to make things. 'Ivory towers' are best left uninhabited. 

I do understand the problems for those who are afraid of wrecking an expensive model (I have!), but those who are too timid (for whatever reason) to have a go will never have the satisfaction of being able to say 'I made that'! 

As an example of 'making things' (or running them), yesterday three dear chums and I ran Little Bytham. Two were Wolverhampton MRC mates, who'd actually helped build Little Bytham, the other a local old friend. The two Wulfrunians brought some models they'd made with them (or we'd made together) which were ex-Stoke/ex-Charwelton. Despite years now of their living in boxes, they all worked beautifully. There is no better feeling in my view than running locos/trains which we've all made, either individually or together. Not just the work of others, not just RTR (however much-modified) and not just the product of the 'chequebook'. 

The above said, of course, each to their own.

I'll post some pictures later. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Sorry, good morning my master, apologies for the lack of introduction I had a terribly busy and stressful day at work (silly season), therefore caffeine fuelled my unexpected outburst on RMWEB and Facebook. 

Oh I don’t know, one thing you have taught me non-railway related is to speak ones mind. Sometimes I need to think before I speak. But that’s another story for another time. 

Don’t forget adding leather wearing motorcycle riding to your list.

Anyway, I completely agree with a “veil

being lifted”, I myself have had that happen twice. The first time was when I finally picked up a soldering iron or dived into kit/scratchbuilding and the second was when I had seen the light to model a prototype.

Is soldering the motion backwards on a P2 in front of a young Australian first timer a failure? Or a “do as I say not as I do” lesson? 

In regards to looking down upon those who don’t actually “model”, I feel I showed that I don’t do that today in the Facebook group. One fella who is a friend of a friend commented and we respectfully argued/discussed my post. He mentioned he doesn’t have the time or money etc to start kit building, but he has an abundance of Hornby A4s. I mentioned that instead of buying at least half of those locos he could have started his kit building lifestyle. Although after the post was silenced we spoke through private message and I found out the reason for his lack of time and money and it’s personal so I won’t divulge it here. But the fact was, during said conversation I offered to walk him through a whitemetal kit like I did with Dylan Sanderson. Even though I was huffing and puffing about people not kit building and made out to look like i am king sh*t, which I’m far from it, I offered to help someone who hasn’t built anything before. 

Another thing I have noticed Tony is how far my English has come along since meeting you. No more “Hey Tony’s” am I right? No doubt you’ll find several mistakes, but pat on the back for me me thinks. 

Again sorry for the outburst, need a good vent. 

Jesse 

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

21 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

Sorry, good morning my master, apologies for the lack of introduction I had a terribly busy and stressful day at work (silly season), therefore caffeine fuelled my unexpected outburst on RMWEB and Facebook. 

Oh I don’t know, one thing you have taught me non-railway related is to speak ones mind. Sometimes I need to think before I speak. But that’s another story for another time. 

Don’t forget adding leather wearing motorcycle riding to your list.

Anyway, I completely agree with a “veil

being lifted”, I myself have had that happen twice. The first time was when I finally picked up a soldering iron or dived into kit/scratchbuilding and the second was when I had seen the light to model a prototype.

Is soldering the motion backwards on a P2 in front of a young Australian first timer a failure? Or a “do as I say not as I do” lesson? 

In regards to looking down upon those who don’t actually “model”, I feel I showed that I don’t do that today in the Facebook group. One fella who is a friend of a friend commented and we respectfully argued/discussed my post. He mentioned he doesn’t have the time or money etc to start kit building, but he has an abundance of Hornby A4s. I mentioned that instead of buying at least half of those locos he could have started his kit building lifestyle. Although after the post was silenced we spoke through private message and I found out the reason for his lack of time and money and it’s personal so I won’t divulge it here. But the fact was, during said conversation I offered to walk him through a whitemetal kit like I did with Dylan Sanderson. Even though I was huffing and puffing about people not kit building and made out to look like i am king sh*t, which I’m far from it, I offered to help someone who hasn’t built anything before. 

Another thing I have noticed Tony is how far my English has come along since meeting you. No more “Hey Tony’s” am I right? No doubt you’ll find several mistakes, but pat on the back for me me thinks. 

Again sorry for the outburst, need a good vent. 

Jesse 

If I'm a useful vent for your outbursts, then I'm delighted Jesse,

Where have I ever displayed a 'disliking' for 'leather motorcycle riding'? I admit, I'm far too wimpish to have ever worn leather, let alone astride a motorbike (I much-prefer - very - fast cars, as you know). 

As for speaking your mind, good on you, but temper it with caution. Perhaps I 'speak mine too often', and I've caused a stir on many occasions, with even some 'hate mail' via various media (most of which, as expected, is anonymous). 

Just keep on doing what you're doing (tautology, but appropriate). The main thing is, largely through your own acts, that you're now a real 'modeller' in my book. You're confident, self-reliant, skilled, experienced and forward-looking. Not bad for a 25 year old!

Best regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, drmditch said:

Should you have posted this on an open forum?

There are nasty people about.

If it's like the funeral I went to recently, people are able to watch and listen in, but not interact, so I don't think there's a danger of anyone abusing it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

You rarely seen a W1 on LNER layouts, due to there only being a SEF kit, when you did see one it was almost like the real thing, “Hush Hush” but now every man and his dog will have one. I feel that railway modelling has moved away from “actual modelling” to what can one person have with the most money. There is no longer any skill required in the railway modelling world. When myself and others say this you get shot down with “it’s too hard”, “oh im not good at that” (when they haven’t even tried)and “rule 1” being abused. I get the first two quite alot when people see some of my wagons, “are they Bachmann” “no they’re kits” “oh much to hard for me”. Have a GO! Or when people say “why can’t Hornby or Bachmann do this loco” when there is a perfectly good kit awaiting to be purchased and built from a locally sourced manufacture. 

It doesn’t excite me one bit about my one arriving. Yes, I am getting one, but only the original condition W1

Jesse

I completely understand where you are coming from. A couple of points though:

You are young, and have many years to hone those skills in the aspects of railway modelling which are many and varied. Some have started in the hobby late on in life and can't possibly do everything in the allotted time available. Some short cuts and time saving RTR's (or other models 'ready to plant'), help in moving the project along albeit the fundamental upgrades to the RTR / RTP are essential.

We are mostly 'big kids' at heart so a new model arriving at the door does add a bit of excitement, and by jove we need that just now

Dave

Edited by zr2498
  • Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

May I ask a question, please?

One directed at 'collectors'.

Does anyone know the origin of this?

343141865_oldsignal.jpg.bd23372258bf6f0c16ac0aac6e10b382.jpg

It's at least Gauge 1, is made entirely of lithographed tinplate and actually works.

The only provenance is 'MADE IN ENGLAND' stamped on the base (the one shilling and three pence is a bit of humour, I'm sure).

I wouldn't be surprised if it's around 100 years old. 

Is it 'valuable', and, if so, to what extent?

Thanks in anticipation. 

• Like 2

Some more loco kits have come my way to sell after a modeller's death. 

These are Pro-Scale A1, A4 and J39. All are complete and untouched, but have no wheels. I'm asking £110 each.

There's also a DJH 75XXX. Though it's complete (including Romford drivers, axles and crankpins, but no bogie/tender wheels), it's been 'looked at', with some parts taken from the packaging. I'm also asking £110.00 for this. 

Anyone interested, please PM me.

6 hours ago, cctransuk said:

That photo perhaps demonstrates why the BRITISH ENTERPRISE nameplates were never applied - how could you twist the plate to fit against the contouring of the casing?

John Isherwood.

A very simple wedge top or bottom depending on the curve. As per numerous photos of Thompson pacifics et al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

A wooden P51D in 1/160th scale.

This is actually a bit of railway modelling as it's marketed as an N scale kit, and I intend to feature it on my American layout.

p51d.jpg

The body is made up from six laminations of laser-cut wood, aligned by tiny dowels, which then get sanded back to form the basic shape. The finished model (below) is entirely wood except for a bit of peel-and-stick to form the front of the canopy.

p51.jpg

it turns out there's actually an "RTR" option for a 1/160th Mustang but I didn't realise so at the time I bought the kit.

Very nice, especially being an all wood kit. There are a few N gauge 'plane kits around. This is a plastic 1:144 scale kit of a Hurricane Mk1 I made (below) and the Zvezda 1:144 range (Russian made) includes a bf109, stuka, A350-900 and various Russian planes (Ilyushin IL-76MD, Tupolev TU-204-100, Polikarpov I-16, etc).

DSC02615red.jpg.e0a884e46faa9baaca196be4b452cfb0.jpg

Edited by grahame
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

As mentioned, yesterday three chums and I ran (with huge fun) Little Bytham. 

The following images might be of interest..........

874883254_CometScot4614301.jpg.076744cc036681984f2f178ddcd4057c.jpg

519882681_CometScot4614302.jpg.8fb19faf6393776ce6d2237e1666e0de.jpg

This is a Comet 'Scot', built/painted/weathered by Richard Turner. It's ex-Charwelton but it didn't run that well. After a bit of tweaking, it does now. 

1503857111_Hornby9Fconversion.jpg.e18e2e4abd602d6ff34a013558b8bb8e.jpg

Rob Kinsey brought this. It's an ex-tender drive Hornby 9F. I built a Comet chassis to replace the piece of nastiness, including a tender sub-frame and detailed the whole thing. Rob painted/weathered it. 

It was actually a test-bed for a new gearbox made by Markits, designed for a 9F. It made a 'U' lying on its side, ensuring no visible drive. Though it made-up beautifully, and, powered by its Mashima can, it runs superbly, having five gears made the thing too expensive. It was never offered for sale. It also has the correct 9F drivers. 

Its construction featured in a BRM Annual. 

It ran on both Stoke and Charwelton. 

473440589_DJH9Fex-Mick01.jpg.c7ff5020f78ed86ba18507be8c4f3a6b.jpg

Here's another 'test-bed'. On the introduction of Markits proper 9F drivers, I was asked by Mark Arscott if I'd fit them to a DJH 9F to 'prove' them. Which I did, seen here. 

I also tested the DJH gearbox as well (one which I had to make-up). The results were 'winners all round'.

I handed it to Mick Peabody for him to complete it , but, after 20-odd years, it's back with me to finish it (yet another 9F!). 

1858195314_DJHAusterity90002.jpg.48ae6633a5b670e48b49fd21a40862d2.jpg

Another 'proving model' was this DJH 'Austerity'. In a similar vein, Mark Arscott sent me a set of his latest (at the time, 20+ years ago) WD drivers, requesting I build a suitable loco to go on top of them. Which I did, with this result. Having built it, I then painted/weathered it and sold it to Mick Peabody. It was used on both Stoke and Charwelton. 

I've now got it back (I've bought it back) because Mick has no use for it now.

It'll complement this one..............

1858283449_90146onmixedgoods.jpg.c3a8f2a4418cfd0684beeddef2dbc338.jpg

Yet another DJH 'Austerity' built/painted/weathered by me. I made this for myself. 

104450161_sequence64cementtrain.jpg.8bb92c3b44252bc73043ad4a26c7c9a2.jpg

And, another DJH 9F, hauling the cement train made up entirely by Rob Kinsey using mainly Airfix kits. 

183736042_ModifiedHornby9F.jpg.7583b2dba0db642e4c17a5775aaca23a.jpg

Rob also brought back this detailed/weathered loco-drive Hornby 9F, created by me as a project for BRM. 

He'll have a future project for this, both Stoke and Charwelton having been sold. 

Not having anywhere to run OO locos now (apart from as guests on LB), Mick Peabody is offering the following locos for sale (proceeds going, in the main) to CRUK. 

406245380_MickPeabodyDJHAusterity.jpg.1af7d1d03440a7a2039876233dd6f31d.jpg

Another DJH 'Austerity'. Though this has the 'overlay' wheels, it runs well and is very-powerful. 

I'm asking £150.00 for this (probably £100.00 less than the cost of the parts!). 

1787744937_BachmannEEType4.jpg.846bfd10712ce3326bba3989ccd1e518.jpg

There's also this detailed/weathered Bachmann EE Type 4. 

It's missing one buffer, hence the price of £45.00. 

Viewers of my recent video about motors/gearboxes, might recall seeing this DJH 'Austerity'...... The video appeared at the recent BRM virtual exhibition.

83587555_DJHAusterityweathered01.jpg.1e2f4861daffe8c2184a9750b908f775.jpg

1329289656_DJHAusterityweathered07.jpg.3b798e00d02455f7fd9739f51a792b3d.jpg

I showed it first some little time ago. 

It came from the estate of a deceased modeller and I was selling it on behalf of his widow. It created very little interest.

It was made by DJH in the firm's Banbury days. It didn't run very well at all (an obvious showcase model?). 

I got it running, though wasn't entirely successful in silencing its Sagami/40:1 noise (you can hear it on the video). That said, I hope the video shows how competently it hauled a very heavy train (it's on this thread, a few pages back).

It was gloss black, so I've also weathered it. 

Since it runs visually well, I see no point in changing its drive - if I did, it would double the price I'm asking, which is £150.00. 

Anyone interested in the items seen here for sale, please PM me. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

15 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

As mentioned, yesterday three chums and I ran (with huge fun) Little Bytham. 

The following images might be of interest..........

874883254_CometScot4614301.jpg.076744cc036681984f2f178ddcd4057c.jpg

519882681_CometScot4614302.jpg.8fb19faf6393776ce6d2237e1666e0de.jpg

This is a Comet 'Scot', built/painted/weathered by Richard Turner. It's ex-Charwelton but it didn't run that well. After a bit of tweaking, it does now. 

If it's a GC allocated Royal Scot then it's not meant to run well.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

2 hours ago, micklner said:

A very simple wedge top or bottom depending on the curve. As per numerous photos of Thompson pacifics et al.

Look closer - the casing twists between one end of the nameplate and the other.

You'd need a non-linear taper wedge at the LH upper edge; and a similar, but not identical, taper wedge to the RH lower edge.

I suspect that someone said 'Why bother'!

It certainly looks odd when printed on the compound curves of the cladding.

CJI.

• Informative/Useful 1

43 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Look closer - the casing twists between one end of the nameplate and the other.

You'd need a non-linear taper wedge at the LH upper edge; and a similar, but not identical, taper wedge to the RH lower edge.

I suspect that someone said 'Why bother'!

It certainly looks odd when printed on the compound curves of the cladding.

CJI.

I wonder if somebody spotted the potential problem, then thought that it would be much easier to fit on the higher, flatter part of the casing just below the handrail, then realized that it would be much harder for anybody at ground or platform level to read it if it was high up and tilted away from the observer, so ultimately concluded "why bother" - just as you suggested, albeit for a slightly different version of the same reason?

43 minutes ago, gr.king said:

I wonder if somebody spotted the potential problem, then thought that it would be much easier to fit on the higher, flatter part of the casing just below the handrail, then realized that it would be much harder for anybody at ground or platform level to read it if it was high up and tilted away from the observer, so ultimately concluded "why bother" - just as you suggested, albeit for a slightly different version of the same reason?

And looks better without them anyway !!

2 hours ago, Chamby said:

Annesley, from September 1962 until withdrawal.

Probably shouldn't have the nameplates either, although I'd have to check to be sure. Odd ones did retain them.

Edit: I've just checked on the Annesley Fireman website and it must have been one of the best ones, kept it's nameplates, at least in the photos shown, and lasted in service for over a year.

They did have some good dedicated fitting staff at Annesley!

Edited by great central
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, richard i said:

Nice to hear mention of the WMRC boys. I hope they are all well and in good spirits. 
richard 

They are Richard,

We had a great time (the usual anarchic humour!), finishing the day off at a local Chinese restaurant.

We ran Bytham's sequence (lunch, wonderfully provided by Mo, in between) and almost did it faultlessly. Just, with triumph in my hand, at the end of the sequence - the last train; the Up afternoon Talisman - I forgot to reset the Up slow/Up fast road, resulting in ALCAZAR coming to a sudden stop! 

Next time. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1