Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

The original Triang axles were 9/64'' in diameter.  I suppose there must have been a reason for such an odd size.  This is why the bushes have such a thin wall.

Markits do indeed make an axle this diameter.

Rodney

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I've just had a closer look at my pannier chassis and there are those bushes, so I must have done it!

But I am still confused. Surely 4/32" equates to 1/8", so how can you get 1/8" axles into holes that are smaller (ie. 3/32") than that?

Would the old Triang axle holes not have been something like 5/32"?

Yes. Tri-ang axles were 5/32" (or possibly 9/64" - see @jimwal's comment below) diameter. You could (can?) get bushes to fit 1/8" axles.

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Iain.d said:

its riding about .5mm too low 

I wouldn't worry about that. When these carriages were built in the 1880s, 3' 4" was a common standard for nominal buffer centre height above rail, rather than 3' 5" which was standard by the end of the century. In any case, it's only a nominal dimension, the exact value on any day depending on the state of the springs and the weight of the load. If you're modelling it in its old age it would probably be down on its old springs a bit anyway.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Thanks for all the comments on my 'budget modelling'; the discussions about wheels, bearings and axles have been enlightening. 

As far as the Tri-ang Jinty goes, that really is as far as it goes. From an initial cost of four quid, by adding vacuum standpipes, ejector gear, buffers, lamps and a crew, plus the cost of paint and transfers, I've probably taken it over a tenner! And, that's the point in a way. By buying effectively 'duds', spending a little bit of time and resources, then a 'useful' model can be the result; at a very low cost overall. Yes, the Tri-ang wheels are gross, but they'll run on current set-track and Peco Code 100, which many modellers use. 

I'm taking it no further; it's satisfied the brief. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Captain,

I had to fit Romford bushes to a Hornby Jinty chassis (over) 50 years ago to get Romford axles to fit (bushing the gear wheel as well). I then put a BEC J11 cast metal kit body on top of it, instantly becoming a 'scale' modeller. Where that dismal creation is now, I have no idea, though flushed with success...................

60532chassis01.jpg.fdea225571e51ba0d903146a685a34f1.jpg

60532chassis02.jpg.9b44fed4c6d4a392f8e825069911fbaa.jpg

A year later, I did the same thing to a Tri-ang Britannia chassis, turning down the Romford wheels so that I could get all-flanged drivers, and made Jamieson valve gear for it. I latterly even fitted brakes!

What did it go underneath?

A207Wills60532.jpg.93d83e8c9108f02f2ff79a9a476f05d9.jpg

A modified Wills A2 kit, towing a DJH tender some years later. 

A shot taken in Bytham's early days.

WillsA260532.jpg.a2a210d4f7523c41dce697aa885af295.jpg

And one from last year.

Now in her 51st year (or thereabouts), I still keep her. The old XO4 still goes well, though not with the finesse of much more-modern motors. 

If nothing else, with the whole thing being my own work, it shows how much (or how little?) I've progressed with my model-making in the last half century. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Intresting to realise that the model has proberly lived longer than the full-size Blue Peter in active service.... taking into account the years when 60532 was out of traffic... at least yours doesn't seem to have had her valve gear trashed by an over enthusiastic driver resulting in water carry over from what I recollect.

On that subject how many model locos are there that have been in regular use longer than their prototypes?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Triang axles are 9/64in

Thanks Mike - I knew it was a fraction of an inch; just couldn't be sure which one! 🤔

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I wouldn't worry about that. When these carriages were built in the 1880s, 3' 4" was a common standard for nominal buffer centre height above rail, rather than 3' 5" which was standard by the end of the century. In any case, it's only a nominal dimension, the exact value on any day depending on the state of the springs and the weight of the load. If you're modelling it in its old age it would probably be down on its old springs a bit anyway.

Also the height would reduce during service due to the wheels being reprofiled due to wear and overhaul.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, John Besley said:

On that subject how many model locos are there that have been in regular use longer than their prototypes?

Should be easy enough for a 9f, less easy for a J10 or such like. Princess Anne would be the easiest of all if anyone has had a go at building one. 
I have a GT3 which appeared in BRM ages ago which has easily smashed the time the real one ran for.

I also have never built, but proposed locos like the crosti standard 5 and standard 2-8-2. Does that mean the model instantly was winning the moment it turned a wheel?

richard 

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Tony.   Quick diversion.   I'm putting together my 'Elizabethan'.   The CWG which you kindly lent me lists BG, FK, RF, SO, etc.   Can you shed light on the Diagram no of the RF?  As ever, Giles    

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, John Besley said:

Intresting to realise that the model has proberly lived longer than the full-size Blue Peter in active service.... taking into account the years when 60532 was out of traffic... at least yours doesn't seem to have had her valve gear trashed by an over enthusiastic driver resulting in water carry over from what I recollect.

Without checking dates I can't be 100% certain but the locos on Buckingham have been in regular use for up to 77 years and I think they have probably all been in service longer than the real life ones. Even the ones with long lives on the GCR, like the N5s and J11s, lasted around 65 years maximum.

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, Harry Lund said:

Tony.   Quick diversion.   I'm putting together my 'Elizabethan'.   The CWG which you kindly lent me lists BG, FK, RF, SO, etc.   Can you shed light on the Diagram no of the RF?  As ever, Giles    

Good afternoon Giles,

Probably Dia. 354 (page 103 in LNER Carriages by Michael Harris, T&L 1994), built originally for service in the post-War 'Flying Scotsman'.

Regards,

Tony. 

5 minutes ago, sandra said:

I visited the Model Railway Club at Kings Cross today and saw this.IMG_1560.jpeg.6e7d642f647d6b6b55d3dcafd7d3affd.jpegIt’s the new Accrascale J67/69. This an early pre-production sample which is unpowered, it’s also sitting rather uncomfortably on incorrect gauge track. 

However on the basis of this example it’s  going to be a beautiful model. In 1957 Retford had four of them but there’s only one on the layout. All I have to do now is to work out how to convert it to EM gauge.

Which is incorrect, the loco or the track?

• Funny 8