Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

... one of those vast creations where everything was happening at once. The list might include a church with a wedding or a funeral (or both!!!!!) taking place, tiny lanes crossing the lines by a series of (hugely expensive) girder bridges, a road scene with a car crash having taken place or a building on fire, hazard lights flashing everywhere, a field with a foxhunt going over it (or even a crashed aeroplane in it), a windmill whirling round, a waterfall in action, an aircraft runway right in the middle (with one of those girder bridges at its end!!!), every figure in action pose (even fights), houses surrounded by railways with no means of access, myriad trains representing no specific region/time period and everything happening a supersonic speed. Anyone like to add to my list?

You forgot to mention the obligatory bus on the bridge :jester:

(cue lots of prototype pictures of buses on bridges...)

Edited by LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

Good morning Andrew,

I think the Elizabethan gets it. 

There's the first set (which, as far as I know) I built for Stoke Summit (now on LB), the set Roy Jackson built for Retford, the two sets John Houlden built, one for Gilbert Barnatt's Peterborough North and the other for his own Gamston Bank, the set built by Martin Lloyd and Norman Venus for Biggleswade, a set owned by a mate of mine (builder unknown) and  another set built for Stoke now in the hands of another owner. These are the ones I know of, and all originated from Southern Pride parts (the then-owners of Comet said there'd never be a market!). Does anyone know of any more?

I have one on the way, but its behind the Aberdonian in the queue, so don't hold your breath! Southern Pride sides, but I haven't bought all the donors yet, as I'm hoping the price will come down when the new Bachmann Thompson's arrive!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

post-68-0-15251000-1488538316_thumb.jpg

One of the good starter kits we used to recommend at Kings Cross, even for steam modellers was the Craftsman 02. A relatively simple kit, that fitted together, many 70's/80's kits lacked that fundamental feature, but this one, you could get all the components in one stop and then end up with a really attractive little engine, and have learnt a good bit along the way. Sadly a route to learning which is getting more difficult to do these days, but Judith Edge has a couple of similar kits suitable for starters. After this I've three JE kits to do, 2 x LMS jackshaft, and the GWR 15001.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I am about 1/2 way through a Judith Edge PWM650, stopped for a while due to DIY and external light.

Good kit, I have all the parts but need a clear head to do it.

Hitting usual issue for me of bits falling off when soldering other bits on. So will probably be using very good superglue for some of it.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

One of the good starter kits we used to recommend at Kings Cross, even for steam modellers was the Craftsman 02. A relatively simple kit, that fitted together, many 70's/80's kits lacked that fundamental feature, but this one, you could get all the components in one stop and then end up with a really attractive little engine, and have learnt a good bit along the way. Sadly a route to learning which is getting more difficult to do these days, but Judith Edge has a couple of similar kits suitable for starters. After this I've three JE kits to do, 2 x LMS jackshaft, and the GWR 15001.

The first build article in MRJ by Monty Wells-it set the tone for the magazine; good writing, great drawings and excellent photography.  

Here are the first few coaches of my "Elizabethan". Southern Pride sides on Bachmann donors, with roofs modified as suggested by Tony. The underframes were modified too but not to the extent I could/should have done. The train is all-Thompson other than the MK1 Aberdeen pair, though I wonder if more odd MK1's in the main consist would be more prototypical.?

Edit - I should have said that I have modelled the complete train - I'll have to check on the Rest. Car - should the Rest. part be facing south?

post-1659-0-39409800-1488559252.jpg

post-1659-0-35425100-1488559271.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 6

Here are the first few coaches of my "Elizabethan". Southern Pride sides on Bachmann donors, with roofs modified as suggested by Tony. The underframes were modified too but not to the extent I could/should have done. The train is all-Thompson other than the MK1 Aberdeen pair, though I wonder if more odd MK1's in the main consist would be more prototypical.?

Stick to your guns on the Thompsons and leave the nasty MK1's to gather dust on the warehouse shelf. Only half a train to go, dig in deep and you can do it. Then you will have a lovely formation rather than a septic concyist.

P.S. I think your Restaurant car is marshalled back to front.

• Like 1

Depends on your period. The Thompson FK and SO was replaced in at least one rake with a mk1 FK and mk1 RUO(basically an SO with restaurant car branding) in 1960. And for further variation a Gresley RF replaced the Thompson RF due to fire damage.

Not sure how long the Gresley RF lasted as part of the rake..

Edited by davidw

Edit - I should have said that I have modelled the complete train - I'll have to check on the Rest. Car - should the Rest. part be facing south?

Fortunately, you have already completed the RF, if you haven't done the SO yet I can assure you it is much prettier than the equivalent MK1, an item that anyone can own. Tempted?

Good morning Andrew,

I think the Elizabethan gets it. 

There's the first set (which, as far as I know) I built for Stoke Summit (now on LB), the set Roy Jackson built for Retford, the two sets John Houlden built, one for Gilbert Barnatt's Peterborough North and the other for his own Gamston Bank, the set built by Martin Lloyd and Norman Venus for Biggleswade, a set owned by a mate of mine (builder unknown) and  another set built for Stoke now in the hands of another owner. These are the ones I know of, and all originated from Southern Pride parts (the then-owners of Comet said there'd never be a market!). Does anyone know of any more? 

Brian Kirby built an Elizabethan set - maroon with buffet car so 1957 - for a customer many years ago using SPM etches on the old Bachmann Thompsons. The customer later sold off the stock individually and I now have the RF and SO stored away somewhere.

I have one on the way, but its behind the Aberdonian in the queue, so don't hold your breath! Southern Pride sides, but I haven't bought all the donors yet, as I'm hoping the price will come down when the new Bachmann Thompson's arrive!

Andy

Morning Andy,

will you be doing the Thompson Buffet car?

• RMweb Premium

Morning Andy,

will you be doing the Thompson Buffet car?

Hello Andrew,

I plan to run the rake in both 1957 and 1958 format, i.e. all in maroon, but with and without the buffet car. So far, I have all the etches and an almost finished FK (with Ladies waiting room) which will initially go into a 1960s Flying Scotsman rake until the other coaches are ready. In the interests of getting something running I'll probably start with the 1958 formation, so the buffet car and SK with ladies waiting room will wait until the end.

Andy

Hello Andrew,

I plan to run the rake in both 1957 and 1958 format, i.e. all in maroon, but with and without the buffet car. So far, I have all the etches and an almost finished FK (with Ladies waiting room) which will initially go into a 1960s Flying Scotsman rake until the other coaches are ready. In the interests of getting something running I'll probably start with the 1958 formation, so the buffet car and SK with ladies waiting room will wait until the end.

Andy

You're certainly going to be busy for the foreseeable future. I've always found the Elizabethan a rather odd formation in its latter years. A few first class seats perched at the head of the snake and a great long streak of seconds trailing behind, somewhat reminiscent of LM trains like the Thames-Clyde express from earlier years. Although even the Thames-Clyde express had greater first class accommodation, no doubt in the case of the Elizabethan, it was a result of its non-stop status.

I built a number of the Southern pride conversions many years ago, RF, RTP, TO and FO. In the case of the TO, it had its skirts removed for use in the South Yorkshireman as a conventional type. The RTP and RF have made the odd appearance in the early years of LSGC as tempory stand-ins for stock under construction but are now pretty much spare. The FO also lost its skirts for use in 1954 formation of the Master Cutler, long since withdrawn in favour of an additional southbound runner. Only the TO is currently operational on the layout.

Edited by Headstock

Fortunately, you have already completed the RF, if you haven't done the SO yet I can assure you it is much prettier than the equivalent MK1, an item that anyone can own. Tempted?

Afternoon, Andrew

The Southern Pride sides make up nicely. One of these days, I'll tackle the underframe details. But here is the SO branded as a Rest. Car, along with the FK and SK with Ladies Retiring room. I think, strictly speaking, the SK should be a standard by 1958, but I like the distinctiveness in the rake, and unless one is modelling a very specific year, it's obvious that the consist changed almost annually, certainly after 1955,

post-1659-0-78251100-1488644160.jpg

post-1659-0-03605800-1488644182_thumb.jpg

post-1659-0-40572500-1488644197_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hope you don't mind indulging me.

Around two years ago my layout consisted of the excellent Scalescenes kits and largely rtr stock. This is how it looked today. Only the J15 and the brake van are not seriously modified and much is built from kits, the buildings are either kits or scratch built all based on GE prototypes. 

post-12773-0-43259000-1488648188_thumb.jpg

Tramway and six wheel coaches have been bashed out of Ratio four wheelers and the clerestories are old Hornby. you could say the layout is less accurate as the rtr stock is replaced but I am enjoying my modelling much more these days and I feel the layout has more atmosphere and no longer looks like other peoples, the layout is set around 1948-53. The layout usually runs well, is wired for DCC and what you see is most of the layout and has taken nine years to get to this point. I've done everything. For those of you who haven't seen my postings before the track is SMP and includes two three way points.

I really do need to build the starter signal, I have an MSE kit just haven't got round to building it, still loads to do. Locos are mainly rtr but I am just about to start on my first chassis build. The J70s are Silver Fox and and won't be replaced if a rtr version comes out as they run really well and I built them.

Martyn

• Like 11

Hope you don't mind indulging me.

Around two years ago my layout consisted of the excellent Scalescenes kits and largely rtr stock. This is how it looked today. Only the J15 and the brake van are not seriously modified and much is built from kits, the buildings are either kits or scratch built all based on GE prototypes. 

attachicon.gifDSC_0005.JPG

Tramway and six wheel coaches have been bashed out of Ratio four wheelers and the clerestories are old Hornby. you could say the layout is less accurate as the rtr stock is replaced but I am enjoying my modelling much more these days and I feel the layout has more atmosphere and no longer looks like other peoples, the layout is set around 1948-53. The layout usually runs well, is wired for DCC and what you see is most of the layout and has taken nine years to get to this point. I've done everything. For those of you who haven't seen my postings before the track is SMP and includes two three way points.

I really do need to build the starter signal, I have an MSE kit just haven't got round to building it, still loads to do. Locos are mainly rtr but I am just about to start on my first chassis build. The J70s are Silver Fox and and won't be replaced if a rtr version comes out as they run really well and I built them.

Martyn

Fantastic piece of work, well worth the nine years in my book.

Afternoon, Andrew

The Southern Pride sides make up nicely. One of these days, I'll tackle the underframe details. But here is the SO branded as a Rest. Car, along with the FK and SK with Ladies Retiring room. I think, strictly speaking, the SK should be a standard by 1958, but I like the distinctiveness in the rake, and unless one is modelling a very specific year, it's obvious that the consist changed almost annually, certainly after 1955,

I did tackle the underframes on the Thompson carriages as I progressed along. Initially, I just cut out the 'LMS style' battery boxes from the angle iron and replaced them with MJT ones set back and on one side only. I then added some support strapping from brass offcuts. Eventually, I replaced the dynamo, vac cylinders and reservoirs by cutting suitable holes in the underframe for them to sit in. The overall effect works very well when compared to full brass kits. One thing that I did notice with regard to the livery on your carriages, I believe that the valance over the solebars should be painted black rather than being a continuation of the body colour.

I'm currently deep in the midst of wagon heaven or hell depending on your point of view, carriages are but a distant memory. I shall see if I can dig out some pictures of my rather ancient Thompson conversions, in the meantime, a couple of LM fitted wagons, an LNER 6 plank highfit and an LMS fitted van all going through the paint shops.

post-26757-0-75100300-1488656702_thumb.jpg

• Like 7