Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Hi Tony

It was lovely to see you and Mo again at Glasgow. You'll be pleased to hear that the kit-built ROD I bought from you is now sitting on the sideboard with plenty of airflow to allow the PVA'd coal in the tender to dry thoroughly this time - and without risk of upset!

(For those of you wondering what the story is, I was at Glasgow demonstrating what few skills I possess when it comes to loco modelling - painting cab backheads, adding crews, lamps, coal and that sort of thing - when I bought one of the kit-built examples Tony had brought with him. I set about detailing it, adding coal to the tender with PVA. When I came back the next morning, I discovered that one of my more clottish companions had knocked the damn thing over inside its box, resulting in PVA pouring over the engine and wrecking considerable amounts of paintwork. Fortunately - not least for my companion, who might otherwise have been strung up from the rafters - I discovered that the paint I had with me was a perfect match with the original finish, and I have managed to repair the damage. But I was very cross at the time, and even more so when he nearly did the same thing again. There may, at that point, have been an explanation of why he ought not to touch things he didn't understand, delivered with some force and in robust Anglo-saxon...)

Even more happily, the chap from t'other forum who amused himself by taking surreptitious photographs of me has kept his promise not to publish them. Seriously, what kind of deranged individual believes that paparazzi-like behaviour will endear himself to his fellow modellers? Or that this is the perfect manner by which to introduce himself for the first time? "Hello, I'm not a stalker, but..."

My thanks, Tony, for being an island of good sense among the currents of lunacy that threatened to leave me adrift and awash amidst the madmen!

And now, I am researching weathering patterns on Robinson O4s... :locomotive:

I was helping a friend at one show where the public voted for the best layout. :senile: Most exhibitors were not happy with the winning result. :cry:

:rtfm:

The Lego layout won. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

But they do run very well - and kids love 'em!

• Like 1

Hi Tony

It was lovely to see you and Mo again at Glasgow. You'll be pleased to hear that the kit-built ROD I bought from you is now sitting on the sideboard with plenty of airflow to allow the PVA'd coal in the tender to dry thoroughly this time - and without risk of upset!

(For those of you wondering what the story is, I was at Glasgow demonstrating what few skills I possess when it comes to loco modelling - painting cab backheads, adding crews, lamps, coal and that sort of thing - when I bought one of the kit-built examples Tony had brought with him. I set about detailing it, adding coal to the tender with PVA. When I came back the next morning, I discovered that one of my more clottish companions had knocked the damn thing over inside its box, resulting in PVA pouring over the engine and wrecking considerable amounts of paintwork. Fortunately - not least for my companion, who might otherwise have been strung up from the rafters - I discovered that the paint I had with me was a perfect match with the original finish, and I have managed to repair the damage. But I was very cross at the time, and even more so when he nearly did the same thing again. There may, at that point, have been an explanation of why he ought not to touch things he didn't understand, delivered with some force and in robust Anglo-saxon...)

Even more happily, the chap from t'other forum who amused himself by taking surreptitious photographs of me has kept his promise not to publish them. Seriously, what kind of deranged individual believes that paparazzi-like behaviour will endear himself to his fellow modellers? Or that this is the perfect manner by which to introduce himself for the first time? "Hello, I'm not a stalker, but..."

My thanks, Tony, for being an island of good sense among the currents of lunacy that threatened to leave me adrift and awash amidst the madmen!

And now, I am researching weathering patterns on Robinson O4s... :locomotive:

Good evening Gavin,

It was a pleasure to see you again, too. Especially with your lovely wife. 

I'm glad you were able to sort out the ROD. It is very annoying when things are knocked over due to carelessness. 

This business of folk taking pictures of demonstrators/layout operators is becoming more common. The mobile phone camera has allowed this. I don't mind if people take pictures of me if they ask, though I do question their sanity. As someone once said, I have a perfect face for the radio! I'm happier if they take pictures of any models I have on display, though it would be nice if EVERYONE asked first. Not all do, which shows, if nothing else, a remarkable ignorance of good manners. 

Though he didn't take my picture, I did enjoy chatting to a young guy called Elliot. He'd seen me at the Southampton Show a month before but admitted he didn't have the 'courage' to speak to me and ask my advice about modelling. 

Though I considered it a vital asset in my teaching to be able to frighten children, indeed, terrify them, I'm not that ogre-like now. He did chat to me at Glasgow and explained that he thought I'd take no notice of him. Luckily, I put him right, took him to see some simple kits and recommended which he should try first. He took my advice and is going to show me how he gets on.

He's 15 and only tells his closest friends of his interest in model railways. He's articulate, intelligent and very well-mannered. If the hobby of railway modelling is carried on by the likes of him, it has a fantastic future. If I can encourage his like in just a tiny way, my activity in the hobby will have been well worth while.  

• Like 7

Of course and the true cost of such items needs to be told. I just thought that, in your inimitable way, you could mention the sort of charges they may expect  when seeking a build. If they don't flinch then you may choose to give them a bit more info as to how to proceed to find a builder. If they do flinch........ask if they have considered attending a course or workshop to learn some useful skills.

ATB

Phil

Thanks Phil,

Your comment about folk attending model railway courses or a workshop is very apt. Having been the tutor at many, when chaps (and chapettes) are shown a particular technique (say, soldering) and learn how to do it, it's like a veil being lifted. 

However, it only works if they're prepared to have a go, and still keep going having failed at times. Self-reliance is essential in railway modellers. 

I'm happier if they take pictures of any models I have on display, though it would be nice if EVERYONE asked first. Not all do, which shows, if nothing else, a remarkable ignorance of good manners.

I'm glad this came up again, as I missed it last time around. I think this possibly reflects more on the attitude to photography than to manners. Speaking for myself, I view taking snaps with my 'phone as an aide-mémoire, not as something to hang up or publish for others to see, so had not considered it could be seen as rude until reading it here.

I will endeavour to ask in future, but would also suggest trying to see it from this perspective.

I'm glad this came up again, as I missed it last time around. I think this possibly reflects more on the attitude to photography than to manners. Speaking for myself, I view taking snaps with my 'phone as an aide-mémoire, not as something to hang up or publish for others to see, so had not considered it could be seen as rude until reading it here.

I will endeavour to ask in future, but would also suggest trying to see it from this perspective.

Mike,

As I intimated, taking pictures is much easier (or much more universal) now because of the camera in a mobile phone. However, I still think it's just common courtesy to ask the builder of a model if one might take a picture of it, no matter where it might be used. 

Not asking to take pictures is not as bad as not asking if a model may be handled. At every show I attend, someone just picks up a model of mine I have on display without asking. At times I can get quite cross, especially if a model is fully-painted. I happily hand-over models under construction for folk to scrutinise and usually say yes to a request for a model to be picked up.

Isn't isn't it astonishing how many doors open up in response to the simple request 'May I?'

Regards,

Tony.  

're. The lovely model boats on Burntisland in all the photos I've seen of the harbour they don't appear to be moored to the harbour. At least I can't see any "ropes" going from the boat. A great shame, for me it rather spoils the scene.

Alan,

I don't know if the ship in this Burntisland picture is moored or not. Perhaps it's about to embark. 

post-18225-0-19975700-1488314919_thumb.jpg

What I do know (other than this is a superb example of marine modelling) is I'm glad (from a photographic point of view) that there aren't more models depicting sailing vessels.

post-18225-0-13813000-1488314922_thumb.jpg 

This is the original picture. Making a clipping path among all that rigging and ropes took me over an hour. It also shows how whiskery cotton can appear in a picture. 

Edited to wonder why the computer has (YET AGAIN!) scrambled the lower bit of the bottom picture. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your comments Bernard.

It is a shame when fantastic-looking layouts don't 'work' properly. 

The old debate about P4 has been aired many times, on here and elsewhere, and I have no wish to appear hostile towards those who (quite rightly) strive for the greatest possible accuracy in gauge/trackwork. If one wanted a good advert for the merits of P4 running at Glasgow, then Mostyn was just that. It ran (almost) perfectly, and certainly better than some other layouts in much 'cruder' gauges. 

Hi Tony

I know you will say Mostyn runs well because it is P4 diesel. Having played with it, it runs well because of the excellent baseboards, track laying, attention to stock and disciplined team of operators. 

Now if I were a cabinet maker, was prepared to take time with my Peco track, check the running quality of my stock before a show and didn't muck about so much I might be half way there.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony

I know you will say Mostyn runs well because it is P4 diesel. Having played with it, it runs well because of the excellent baseboards, track laying, attention to stock and disciplined team of operators. 

Now if I were a cabinet maker, was prepared to take time with my Peco track, check the running quality of my stock before a show and didn't muck about so much I might be half way there.

But then again Clive, Mostyn hasn't got any diesels scratcbuilt from plastic card, don't hide your light under a bushel.

Mike.

Making a clipping path among all that rigging and ropes took me over an hour. It also shows how whiskery cotton can appear in a picture.

One way to get rid of the whiskery appearance is to coat the thread in cheap cyano glue and when it has dried out you can sand it smooth. This procedure has a hidden bonus in that it will also allow the ropes to remain straight. Both messy and time consuming.

Bernard

Tony it does seem a common failing with many boats in harbours on layouts that they are not tied up properly. I suppose as someone who has owned boats for some 30 plus years it is one of those points that slightly irritate me. It's not too difficult to get it right. In a tidal situation you would have, besides bow and stern lines at least one spring if not two. One going from the bow of the boat sternwards to a point on the quay and one from the stern of the boat going to a point forward on the quay. It stops the boat moving backwards and forewards against the quay, and if the springs and bow and stern warps (ropes) are long enough they do not need too much adjustment as the rises and falls.

Edited by westerner

Tony,

An alternative method to making a clipping path is to use a layer mask. Whilst it probably isn't any faster it does make editing and altering mistakes much simpler. Since you can use pretty much any tool on the layer mask to add or subtract from mask itself, by using pure black or pure white, you essentially have unlimited options to alter, fettle and correct what you've done. A further advantage of this technique is that you can alter the softness of the mask edges at will allowing you to use different techniques, depending on the definition of the edge you want. Added to this is the ability to hold down the option key means that you can quickly cut the mask to specific straight lines, such as your rigging, with relative ease.

That written you've done a very good job with the clipping path.

Edited by Anglian

• RMweb Premium

To put rates into perspective my labour is priced I think at around £750 a day.

That has to go towards the whole company or I would only work a week a month!

Software development

I found the discussion on the cost of having models built professionally interesting. How much craftsmen charge is an issue for them and the market to determine and how individuals spend their disposable income income is pretty much their,(and their wives) own business. I suppose the idea of spending £1000's at a stroke on a hobby like ours does give us pause for thought and a quick gulp.

Now, I certainly don't believe the maxim that, just because I can do something, so can everyone else, and I'll never offer to build and charge for any model making. But I wonder how many people who say they can't, for example, build a loco, are put off by a couple of bad experiences, or by making a comparison of their efforts with those of the best, or by criticism ,usually constructive but by no means always, from those with more experience.

All I can say is,they don't know what they're missing. To illustrate here is my effort at a Craftsman C12. My advice on this kit would be to seek a more modern version from SEF of LRM. But on the layout, mine looks OK and runs well.

post-1659-0-01062500-1488353776.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Now Ladies and Gentlemen for my final piece...

I present a short Film of Little Bytham that Tony and myself recorded whilst learning the ropes of the GOPRO, (which Tony found astounding). 

I hope you enjoy it, please continue to check out my Youtube channel and RM web page as i will start to be posting videos and photos of the progress on my layout.

all the best Jesse 

Tony spends all that money on a train set and can't afford curtains!

Also, shouldn't it be "Little Bytham by Tony Wright and friends, (no apostrophe!)?

:jester:

Mike.

Software development

A top City commercial solicitor would be c£700+/hour...

A reasonable comparison might be bespoke furniture. Again, take your pick, pay your price. Or enquire about Philip Hawkins commission rates...

David

Edited by Clearwater

Software development

bargain!   I believe my time is costed out to the rest of the company at £900 a day. - mainframe tech support for a large bank. Still a drop in the ocean compared to contractors rates.

Tony spends all that money on a train set and can't afford curtains!

Also, shouldn't it be "Little Bytham by Tony Wright and friends, (no apostrophe!)?

:jester:

Mike.

............ and "I present a short Film of Little Bytham that Tony and myself recorded ......."?

Omit Tony, and would you write "I present a short Film of Little Bytham that myself recorded ........"?

Sir will be round to check your detention lines very shortly.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

Now Ladies and Gentlemen for my final piece...

I present a short Film of Little Bytham that Tony and myself recorded whilst learning the ropes of the GOPRO, (which Tony found astounding). 

I hope you enjoy it, please continue to check out my Youtube channel and RM web page as i will start to be posting videos and photos of the progress on my layout.

all the best Jesse 

Loved the video, especially the shots from above the bridge at the beginning and, even as a P4 modeller, I'd have to say that the trackwork looks superb.

The brake van on the train at 5:27 has a very definite limp though...

John

• RMweb Premium

Morning Tony,

I've just finished reading your Deltic bookazine. A very enjoyable read with captions which are much more informative than the usual. One compliant though, I had to read to page 53 before I came across a picture of my machine - number 8.

Good news on the A2/2. I will email you with some dates.

Regards

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Software development

After leaving the big railway and taking on some occasional consultancy work I was being charged out at £500 per day for my railway knowledge (and certain processes involved in it) 16 years ago - although that was what the company got; a lot more than I received.  If my services were still being offered commercially nowadays it would probably be a bit more than that.  It's just the way the world works nowadays where if you want a particular skill or knowledge you have to pay for it so no different from paying somebody for their craftsmanship and the market sets the rate as well as the way in which the individual craftsman values his time (and need to put meals on the table).

I think I was definitely in the wrong profession/business. Retired now so it doesn't make any difference.

These are just numbers for interdepartmental accounting. Sadly doesn't resemble my remuneration by any stretch of the imagination.