Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Mention has been recently made of the Brits.

Little Bytham has three which are used occasionally. 

post-18225-0-24451900-1507101180_thumb.jpg

This one is used the least. It's an altered/detailed Hornby item, which has already had a new motor (the original just gave up after precious-little use). One thing in need of change is the awful chimney. I did the alterations (including putting on decent bogie wheels) and my elder son, Tom, weathered it. 

post-18225-0-66823900-1507101356_thumb.jpg

This one is used a lot more. It started off as a tender-drive Hornby Brit. I chucked the drive away (I actually gave it away), made a Comet chassis for it for both loco and tender, fitted etched smoked deflectors and loads of detail, renumbered/renamed it and weathered it. 

post-18225-0-65213200-1507101523_thumb.jpg

This is by far the best of the trio. It's built from a DJH kit, started by Bob Alderman, completed by me and painted by Ian Rathbone. It will haul considerably more than the RTR derivatives. 

post-18225-0-51920400-1507101651_thumb.jpg

Despite my trying to make my Brits as 'impressive' as possible, when put together in O Gauge they look mightily handsome and have a much greater presence than anything smaller. This example is on Terry Yeend's Lough loco depot. 

post-18225-0-27736100-1507101812_thumb.jpg

Remember Holiday Haunts? Surely one of the most popular exhibition layouts of recent years. This reminds me of the Holyhead Brits on the N. Wales coast route, despite the presence of a GWR signal (the signals could be changed, by the way).

post-18225-0-02717300-1507101909_thumb.jpg

Moving away from the Brits, was there ever a more impressive BR (or any) livery than this? Again, a scene on Lough in O Gauge. 

post-18225-0-77586800-1507101986_thumb.jpg

Returning to the theme of liveries, I remember being surprised by the desert sand livery applied to the first Western Diesel. Others soon appeared in the more attractive (to me) green and maroon (and an oddity in golden ochre). Whatever the opinions on the colours, at least they were applied in 'sympathy' with the body shape. Even the yellow end is discreet. I looked at a model of the latest diesel type at Wigan (is it a Class 68?). It sparkled like a brothel's interior (not that I've been in any, well, not many!), looked horribly garish and paid no heed (in my opinion) to the forms on to which it was applied. I'm sure the model is a good one, but my word. 

No wonder the 'real world' of today's railways holds so little interest to enthusiasts. That said, I'm told the model has sold well. 

I'm glad I 'live' in the 'real' world of the past, at least through my modelling. 

Any more examples of Brits/diesels/colours/weathering, please? 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifLough 11.jpg

Returning to the theme of liveries, I remember being surprised by the golden ochre livery applied to the first Western Diesel. Others soon appeared in the more attractive (to me) green and maroon (and an oddity in desert sand). 

Tony,

Call me Mr. Picky - but your photo is of a model D1000 Western Enterprise, the first Western DH, in Desert Sand livery; the Golden Ochre one was D1015 Western Champion.

I saw Western Enterprise at Birmingham Snow Hill soon after introduction, and the sand livery was certainly a huge change from what we were used to - and impressive, if only for that reason.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

Tony,

Call me Mr. Picky - but your photo is of a model D1000 Western Enterprise, the first Western DH, in Desert Sand livery; the Golden Ochre one was D1015 Western Champion.

I saw Western Enterprise at Birmingham Snow Hill soon after introduction, and the sand livery was certainly a huge change from what we were used to - and impressive, if only for that reason.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John,

You're not picky at all. Thanks for pointing out my error. 

I've since corrected it. 

Regarding the Westerns, I saw almost the whole class at Chester. The Swindon-built ones would appear, one by one as they were made, on the Paddington trains and the Crewe-built ones would appear on running-in turns at the other end of the General. Strangely, the only one I never saw was the golden ochre one. 

In a strange time-reversal, the Westerns disappeared and were replaced by steam on the Shrewsbury road in the form of BR Standards and ex-LMS 4-6-0s. Something to do with the regional boundary changes I suppose. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 1

Although I liked the "old" BR Maroon, Green and Chocolate / Cream (I was too young to remember Blood & custard), this was a revelation back in 1964.

1996-7038_BTF_8100.jpg

And to me, for a corporate railway livery it has never been bettered. 1965 saw the general introduction of Blue / Grey on coaches, a few catering cars at first. By the end of steam it was everywhere, mixed with the old liveries which were starting to rapidly disappear. I model the 65-68 period with quite a livery mix - it was "my" spotting era - not everyone's cup of tea though. Just look at the livery & stock mix on this short film.

Today's liveries ? - well it's a case of the good (Virgin Pendelino) the bad and the ugly. I also abhor vinyls stuck over windows. 

Brit15

Thanks for posting the video.

I've never seen a Stanier 2-6-4T with the BR device placed so low on its tankside.

I'm glad I 'live' in the 'real' world of the past, at least through my modelling. 

Not for nothing are we called historical modellers. Up until 20 years ago, it seemed the LMS and the GWR were the most popularly modelled companies, although I am going off what my clients and friends were doing. 

Those of us of a certain age lived in the steam era for some 25 years or more and it is easy for us to back peddle and imagine what it was like in an even earlier period. For folk born after the steam-era, I imagine they can stick a pin in a map and choose any period of steam they want to seeing as they have no experience of any. 

Edited by coachmann

No Brits from me I'm afraid but I do have a couple of new locomotives on the go....

post-943-0-44878100-1507107020_thumb.jpg

An N2 and V1, both riding on modified Farish N Class chassis. While the N class's wheelbase is actually too short (7'3 by 8'3 against the LNER loco's 7'3 by 9') I think the overall effect isn't too bad for N gauge. The prints are Shapeways Frosted Extreme Detail (the first time I've used this material) and other than having washed the residue from the printing process off and airbrushing some light grey onto the models, they are as printed (i.e. no sanding/cleaning up yet).

Both locos will actually sit level on the chassis but were quickly (and badly) balanced for the photograph.

• Like 7

Here's a bit of weathering for you, Tony:

thurston_folkestone_7_zpsd3fcf4e5.jpg

I enjoy doing distressed wooden coal wagons - these are Cambrian kits with Powsides transfers.

I'll have these on the stand with me at Warley if anyone is interested in seeing how they were done.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

You should try bringing a Christmas pudding back from Singapore. Think what bombs looked like in old cartoons, episodes of Batman, etc. and you'll see what I mean.

I had some fun bringing back a couple of Pennsy Electrics via LA in hand luggage.  They got all excited at things with wires attached but ended up having a good natured chat.

Jamie

• Like 1

Saw a picture of the real version of this loco a few days ago, on this thread?

Added to the appeal for more weathered stock I've taken this using the new phone I got yesterday. It's a DJH kit completed before the Bachmann version was released, although the announcement did spur work on somewhat, as I likely wouldn't have finished it otherwise.

The picture is better than I think my, admittedly old now, camera would take.

post-110-0-53238800-1507116625_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

'I must have built over six Wolves of Badenoch, and this is my current one............'

As Australians say, 'fair go'.

I'd like to say Tony, and fellow contributors, I find being able to spend a little time catching up

with what is going on the railway modelling world provides me with a great deal of relief from 

current difficulties.

The level of discussion, and the modelling and methods on display, are truely informative, and

I feel privileged to be allowed to look into such a mutual assembly, as it has formed.

I'm sorry to say I cannot say much about my çurrent project', a 00 DJH Duchess, but it will get

underway shortly, and I would be privileged to report my progress on RMWeb in the appropriate

place.

Thank you all for your inspiration.

Best regards

Charles 

Edited by Charles

'I must have built over six Wolves of Badenoch, and this is my current one............'

As Australians say, 'fair go'.

I'd like to say Tony, and fellow contributors, I find being able to spend a little time catching up

with what is going on the railway modelling world provides me with a great deal of relief from 

current difficulties.

The level of discussion, and the modelling and methods on display, are truely informative, and

I feel privileged to be allowed to look into such a mutual assembly, as it has formed.

I'm sorry to say I cannot say much about my çurrent project', a 00 DJH Duchess, but it will get

underway shortly, and I would be privileged to report my progress on RMWeb in the appropriate

place.

Thank you all for your inspiration.

Best regards

Charles 

You're most welcome, Charles,

I find this thread incredibly informative and inspirational as well (not for what I might post, but the contributions of others). 

Because it's a model-makers' thread, not a collectors'/commissioners' one, then what's posted is the personal work of the contributors. They, thus, all have a personal story to tell about the models they're showing, by what ever means they're arrived at. Some contributors are incredibly modest about what they've achieved. I think self-deprecation is far better than pomposity, but everything posted on here by other contributors is most-praiseworthy indeed. Please, keep it up. 

I believe it's one of the most looked-at threads, and it's certainly lively. 

Regards,

Tony. 

P. S. My personal thanks to all who contribute to it, making it such an interesting one (or at least it is to me).  

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I had some fun bringing back a couple of Pennsy Electrics via LA in hand luggage.  They got all excited at things with wires attached but ended up having a good natured chat.

Jamie

Etched kits, locomotives and permissible tools and jigs seem to cause excitement at Alicante and various UK airports.

"Now sir, just explain again why you are carrying long sharp pieces of metal and small cylindrical tins with wires coming out of them"

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You should try bringing a Christmas pudding back from Singapore. Think what bombs looked like in old cartoons, episodes of Batman, etc. and you'll see what I mean.

Hmm, sounds like my experience with Sydney Airport Customs officers trying to explain what Eccles cakes were (they let them through - eventually).

• Like 2

Not for nothing are we called historical modellers. Up until 20 years ago, it seemed the LMS and the GWR were the most popularly modelled companies, although I am going off what my clients and friends were doing. 

Those of us of a certain age lived in the steam era for some 25 years or more and it is easy for us to back peddle and imagine what it was like in an even earlier period. For folk born after the steam-era, I imagine they can stick a pin in a map and choose any period of steam they want to seeing as they have no experience of any. 

Thanks Larry, 

Astute observations, as always. 

It is interesting that a very large number of the folk from my generation (immediate post-War) build models of what they remember in their formative (trainspotting?) years. Obviously, we (the generic 'we') mix in circles with similar ideas, methods of doing things, interests and so on, but what's also interesting to me is that a large number of modellers I know model that steam/diesel transition era, even though they weren't born until it was actually taking place or after it was finished. Thus, they have no memory of it, either because they're too young or they weren't born. Some, even younger, want to model the era as well. I wonder why?

I've just signed off for printing my latest bookazine for Irwell, this one featuring the Class 50 second-generation EE Type 4s. This follows the previous three which featured respectively the BR blue era, the green/blue diesel transition on the ECML and the Deltics. In a way, I should model those eras. Why? Because I have an 'adult' memory of them, and that is backed up by my having taken hundreds and hundreds of transparencies of post-steam motive power. In many cases, the infrastructure these 'new' locos ran over was still steam-age, and they hauled 'proper' trains, with the loco at the front. 

It would seem that (because of mortality?) that these bookazines sell at least as well (if not more so) as those depicting scenes at least a decade before. Are we to see then an equivalent number of blue/grey era layouts on the scene, built by those from the next generation after me who were trainspotters in the '70s? Or, in another few years, loads of layouts depicting the late-90s, and so on? 

There must be something wonderful in modelling an era from the time of parents or even grandparents. My Dad would have been 100 next year, and he used to tell me of his cycling to Retford to watch the 'Silver Jubilee', as a teenager. In this respect, I'm privileged to be a very small part of the Grantham team, the builders of the wonderful 'Streamliner Years' model. It is interesting to do the research for building locos in LNER condition, even though I have no tangible memory of ever having seen them in LNER ownership (I was only into my second year when the railways were Nationalised). 

Speaking of Grantham, will we see a model of it as it is today in 50+ years' time? Obviously I won't, other than if I live to be the oldest man in history - by some margin!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5

It's the one with wheel inserts. Built about 15 years ago at a guess. I picked up another unbuilt kit a couple of years back, it's in the round tuit pile. I've also got 3 Bachmann ones to weather as well as one I bought already weathered, not a bad job incidentally and luckily renumbered to one allocated to Langwith Junction. There's also my McGowan one which has seen the light of day already on another thread. Got a bit of a soft spot for 'Ozzies'

• Like 1

Thanks Larry, 

Astute observations, as always. 

It is interesting that a very large number of the folk from my generation (immediate post-War) build models of what they remember in their formative (trainspotting?) years. Obviously, we (the generic 'we') mix in circles with similar ideas, methods of doing things, interests and so on, but what's also interesting to me is that a large number of modellers I know model that steam/diesel transition era, even though they weren't born until it was actually taking place or after it was finished. Thus, they have no memory of it, either because they're too young or they weren't born. Some, even younger, want to model the era as well. I wonder why?

I've just signed off for printing my latest bookazine for Irwell, this one featuring the Class 50 second-generation EE Type 4s. This follows the previous three which featured respectively the BR blue era, the green/blue diesel transition on the ECML and the Deltics. In a way, I should model those eras. Why? Because I have an 'adult' memory of them, and that is backed up by my having taken hundreds and hundreds of transparencies of post-steam motive power. In many cases, the infrastructure these 'new' locos ran over was still steam-age, and they hauled 'proper' trains, with the loco at the front. 

It would seem that (because of mortality?) that these bookazines sell at least as well (if not more so) as those depicting scenes at least a decade before. Are we to see then an equivalent number of blue/grey era layouts on the scene, built by those from the next generation after me who were trainspotters in the '70s? Or, in another few years, loads of layouts depicting the late-90s, and so on? 

There must be something wonderful in modelling an era from the time of parents or even grandparents. My Dad would have been 100 next year, and he used to tell me of his cycling to Retford to watch the 'Silver Jubilee', as a teenager. In this respect, I'm privileged to be a very small part of the Grantham team, the builders of the wonderful 'Streamliner Years' model. It is interesting to do the research for building locos in LNER condition, even though I have no tangible memory of ever having seen them in LNER ownership (I was only into my second year when the railways were Nationalised). 

Speaking of Grantham, will we see a model of it as it is today in 50+ years' time? Obviously I won't, other than if I live to be the oldest man in history - by some margin!

Regards,

Tony. 

When I entered the hobby in a serious  manor, there was a certain amount of peer pressure to model a certain era. I figured there was enough people doing all that and to be frank the whole Diesel Steam transition period is rather depressing, likely to turn you into a grumpy old man.

With regard to liveries, I assume the vibrant coloured Electric up thread is RTR? If this was kit built, you would have to admire the craftsmanship of the painting despite your personal thoughts would be on the livery. When it comes to the choice of liveries,  this is mostly done over the counter these days and that choice can be limiting. Doing it yourself opens up a myriad of modelling possibilities and can be quite an exciting challenge.

Back in the day Railway liveries were all much better, like the dirt brown example below. Is it a nice livery? what of Bullied's Tavern Cars?

I finally got the new scratch built roof seated and painted on the ex NE non gangway third. A few things still to do to it but providing I don't sit on it, it should be running at Wakefield in November.

post-26757-0-40689600-1507138633_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

In my modelling " formative" years which coincided with the steam / diesel transition...actually more the corporate blue pre tops ...I was determined to model the Grouping era. This was largely influenced by what I was reading in the model press. In particular a certain Mr Jenkinson and his Settle and Carlisle creations. The model of Garsdale Road...the 8f travelling through...it was what I aspired too.

Rail enthusiasts are a mixed bunch, my friends from that time late sixties early seventies follow the current rail scene, a couple travel extensively abroad sampling foreign rail travel. I am the only one who pursues this enthusiasm through modelling ( albeit not exclusively) . My point, it is not just what we see in the real world that inspires us to create our models...Tony your contributions in the modelling media,will I am sure will inspire others to create a world they have no first hand knowledge of.

I have a very good friend who models Aircraft....his dioramas are ...well the equal in modelling terms of us all...he said to me though..." I envy your modelling of trains they have movement..my models don't"

He hadn't seen my latest creation stall and strip its gears when he said this

• Like 4

When I entered the hobby in a serious  manor, there was a certain amount of peer pressure to model a certain era. I figured there was enough people doing all that and to be frank the whole Diesel Steam transition period is rather depressing, likely to turn you into a grumpy old man.

With regard to liveries, I assume the vibrant coloured Electric up thread is RTR? If this was kit built, you would have to admire the craftsmanship of the painting despite your personal thoughts would be on the livery. When it comes to the choice of liveries,  this is mostly done over the counter these days and that choice can be limiting. Doing it yourself opens up a myriad of modelling possibilities and can be quite an exciting challenge.

Back in the day Railway liveries were all much better, like the dirt brown example below. Is it a nice livery? what of Bullied's Tavern Cars?

I finally got the new scratch built roof seated and painted on the ex NE non gangway third. A few things still to do to it but providing I don't sit on it, it should be running at Wakefield in November.

Andrew,

I have no idea of the origin of the EMU in the picture you cite. Perhaps someone who knows of these things will inform us. If it is built from a kit, then you're right - the livery application is brilliant. 

I don't know many who found the steam/diesel era 'depressing', other than because the steam favourites were being replaced. However, such was the variety among the new classes, and the fact that many were as parochial in their distribution as their steam forebears, that there was still a real 'regional' feel to the whole procedure. I suppose the ubiquitous Brush Type 4s rather 'flooded' the system, but there was still plenty of variety - much more so than today. 

I think anyone with a 'design' background would have thought that the livery of Bulleid Tavern Cars was awful. What, with fake bricks and half-timbering, in my view they rival some of today's livery styles in their being inappropriate. That said, it's only my opinion. 

As for being a grumpy old git; I've always been grumpy, and a git, no matter what age I was at the time!

• Like 3

In my modelling " formative" years which coincided with the steam / diesel transition...actually more the corporate blue pre tops ...I was determined to model the Grouping era. This was largely influenced by what I was reading in the model press. In particular a certain Mr Jenkinson and his Settle and Carlisle creations. The model of Garsdale Road...the 8f travelling through...it was what I aspired too.

Rail enthusiasts are a mixed bunch, my friends from that time late sixties early seventies follow the current rail scene, a couple travel extensively abroad sampling foreign rail travel. I am the only one who pursues this enthusiasm through modelling ( albeit not exclusively) . My point, it is not just what we see in the real world that inspires us to create our models...Tony your contributions in the modelling media,will I am sure will inspire others to create a world they have no first hand knowledge of.

I have a very good friend who models Aircraft....his dioramas are ...well the equal in modelling terms of us all...he said to me though..." I envy your modelling of trains they have movement..my models don't"

He hadn't seen my latest creation stall and strip its gears when he said this

I'm always very cautious when it's suggested that anything I've done or am doing might 'inspire' people. 

What I've always tried to encourage folk to do is to have a go at making things for themselves, no matter what their chosen period is. Certainly, speaking to many at shows these days, the perception seems to be that this is diminishing. 

Andrew,

I have no idea of the origin of the EMU in the picture you cite. Perhaps someone who knows of these things will inform us. If it is built from a kit, then you're right - the livery application is brilliant. 

I don't know many who found the steam/diesel era 'depressing', other than because the steam favourites were being replaced. However, such was the variety among the new classes, and the fact that many were as parochial in their distribution as their steam forebears, that there was still a real 'regional' feel to the whole procedure. I suppose the ubiquitous Brush Type 4s rather 'flooded' the system, but there was still plenty of variety - much more so than today. 

I think anyone with a 'design' background would have thought that the livery of Bulleid Tavern Cars was awful. What, with fake bricks and half-timbering, in my view they rival some of today's livery styles in their being inappropriate. That said, it's only my opinion. 

As for being a grumpy old git; I've always been grumpy, and a git, no matter what age I was at the time!

Tony,

I don't have the same emotional attachment to the era that those who witnessed it do, both good and bad. I have no doubt that it's dominance in model railway land, especially in RTR, is a major reason that I don't model that period, a case of familiarity breeds contempt. Not that I don't appreciate the quality modelling of that era, just that I don't wish to do it myself. I don't think I could contribute much new and would end up as the depressed grumpy one but I'm certain the majority would be as happy as Larry.

Bulleid Tavern Cars, Yuck but I can't just model the nice bits. Post 1940's East coast mainline without Thompson Pacific's? I've seen it at exhibitions but it's a glaring omission, whether by design or lack of skills.

I always thought you were most charming.

Here's a bit of weathering for you, Tony:

thurston_folkestone_7_zpsd3fcf4e5.jpg

I enjoy doing distressed wooden coal wagons - these are Cambrian kits with Powsides transfers.

I'll have these on the stand with me at Warley if anyone is interested in seeing how they were done.

Give me 20 minutes, i'll send over the 100+ wagons i got here.  :sarcastic: