Mike, re. "Historical Railway Modelling"....

Following the "rave" reviews on here I went onto amazon - plenty of copies available in a range of conditions, from about £5 upwards. I've ordered myself a copy and look forward to reading it.

Jeff

Hi Mike & Jeff

Just a word of caution there are 2 versions of this book by DJ , the first was entitled "Modelling Historic Railways" and had a blue cover published I think by PSL then it was later revised and David published a revised one under his own Pendragon label with a white cover and a subtle change of title to "Historical Railway Modelling",

Ian

It's the second version I have, Pendragon one. There are some images of DJ's model Marthwaite which is Dent in all but name. The colouring of the station building and the window detailing/colours would, I think, be of great interest to Mike. That aside it's a very good read and would be a great book for anybody contemplating an historically based model.

Thank you for the information about Modellers Back Track.

Hi

Here is a list of articles from my "David Jenkinson" file

Ian

David Jenkinson Articles        

Railway Modeller Nov-63 Modelling Midland Buildings

Railway Modeller Jun-64 Marthwaite Part 1

Railway Modeller Jan-66 The Long Drag in Reality

Railway Modeller Feb-66 Modelling the Settle & Carlisle

Railway Modeller Nov-66 Marthwaite Revised Part 1

Railway Modeller Dec-66 Marthwaite Revised Part 2 - Operation

Railway Modeller Oct-69 Marthwaite - the final stage

Railway Modeller Apr-70 Garsdale Road Part 1

Railway Modeller May-70 Garsdale Road Part 2

Model Rly Constructor 1970? An attitude to Modelling - Garsdale Road

Railway Modeller May-73 Little Long Drag 1 - Planning for Permanence

Railway Modeller Jun-73 Little Long Drag 2 - The main line stations

Railway Modeller Jul-73 Little Long Drag 3 - Design for a Branch Line

Railway Modeller Oct-73 Little Long Drag 4 - Baseboards & Tracklaying

Railway Modeller Nov-73 Little Long Drag 5 - Control & Operation

Railway Modeller Sep-74 Rationalise your stock building

Railway Modeller Oct-75 Little Long Drag 6 - Signalling at Dent Head Junction

Railway Modeller Feb-76 Little Long Drag 7 - Basic Scenery

Railway Modeller Nov-85 The Kendal Branch Part 1

Railway Modeller Jul-88 The Kendal Branch Part 2

MRJ 85 The Last Great Project - 1

MRJ 86 The Last Great Project - 2

MRJ 88 The Last Great Project - 3

MRJ 92 The Last Great Project - 4

MRJ 99 The Last Great Project - 5

MRJ 106 The Last Great Project - 6

MRJ 122 Return to Kendal

MRJ 124 Return to Kendal

GOG Gazette May-99 The Kendal Branch

GOG Gazette Feb-00 The Kendal Branch

Railway Modeller Jan-03 The Kendal Branch

Railway Modeller Feb-03 The Kendal Branch

GOG Gazette Aug-04 Modeller Extraordinaire - An Appreciation by Bob Essery

BRM Supplement ? The Kendal Branch

Edited by ianwales
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike & Jeff

Just a word of caution there are 2 versions of this book by DJ , the first was entitled "Modelling Historic Railways" and had a blue cover published I think by PSL then it was later revised and David published a revised one under his own Pendragon label with a white cover and a subtle change of title to "Historical Railway Modelling",

Ian

Thanks for the warning Ian. I've ordered a Pendragon version and, if memory serves, the other ones I looked at on Amazon were likewise - not that I checked them all.

Jeff

Hi all,

Re: The book, tried to find out what version but 'AbeBooks' where I got it from does not give full details. Its probably the later version though at £6.00 I'm sure I will be more than satisfied with the contents.

Ian,

many thanks for the Jenkinson list, you may have noted my RM collection starts the year following 'the little long drag' series - typical!

I've done a bit more on the tunnel and will update with some pic's later.

Cheers

Mike

Hi all,

Rise Hill Tunnel portal is almost complete, added the coping stones and a few other details, filled in the odd gap with some putty etc.

post-5296-0-50847400-1357158216.jpg

post-5296-0-75489300-1357158229.jpg

post-5296-0-87518600-1357158243.jpg

Just given the structure a base colour - which is still wet, so its not shiny stonework really, I hope. I may get round to toning and highlighting before the weekend but due to the rebuild I can't access my airbrush gear so I may postpone this as there is no rush.

Here's the last two shot's for now.

post-5296-0-65801300-1357158269_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-56487800-1357158298_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know if the parapet stonework is just darker grey in colour or if its red sandstone ? Its definately different material.

Next project to start: The Coal Road overbridge !

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mike61680
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Are these any use for the stone colours?  I know the tunnel is more than a bit distant.

post-5613-0-82236600-1357165476_thumb.jpg

Rise Hill Tunnel Class 113 Skipton to Carlisle April 68

post-5613-0-29755000-1357165471_thumb.jpg

Dent view north from coal road bridge Aug 77

David

• Like 2

Hi David,

Thanks for the photo's, I think its a bit too far for the tunnel but the stream diversion pipe is useful. I took a couple myself when I was there the other week but this is a summer view which is helpfull.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, just played catch up and enjoying it very much, mention of Ken Paynes Last Great Project made me did out my files with coppies of various articles by the Great Man. 

All the best Andy.

Hi all,

Sorry got no modelling done today but I managed to lay a few thermalite blocks in the den.

Following Ian's list (David Jenkinson) I retired to my loft to rumage in my old magazine collection, not a lot of sucess as most of the articles were published prior to my oldest issues. However call it strange - uncanny - wierd - whatever; but the very first piece of paper I moved on a shelf untouched for some 10 years was the full Railway of the Month article clipped out from Railway Modeller April 1974 entitled 'Dent Head Junction' by a young looking chap called Steve Walker. ARE YOU AN RMWEB MEMBER? Somethings afoot!

I have attached the colour page which I scanned for your perusal.

post-5296-0-55057400-1357250273_thumb.jpg

Cheers

mike

Mike you're welcome, I'm enjoying this thread and seeing your progress. There seems to be some sort of feature, possibly a plate of some sort on the parapet wall directly above the keystone, I can't make it out can you? Or can anybody else shed any light on it?

You could contact the photographer to see if he has any more Dent images or if he'll be in the area again:

http://www.hondawanderer.com/index.htm

Edited by Anglian

• RMweb Premium

I've just scanned through the first few pages of Rise Hill references on google. No reference to the feature above the headstone and no clearer photo than the 2004 image that Anglian has provided.

Is it likely to be a date of construction?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

That's as good a suggestion as we're likely to get, unless anybody has a closer view. I'll have a scan through some S&C reference material, but I doubt I'll come up with anything.

I think Mike will be happy with a plate!

Cheers,

Jeff

Blea Moor tunnel has a similar panel. Did they number the civil engineering features?

http://www.visitcumbria.com/carlset/blea-moor-tunnel.htm

http://www.outofoblivion.org.uk/record.asp?id=128

I've done some photoshop stuff and Rise Hill is a rebated stone like Blea Moor. (Sorry I can't post the zoomed in image as the copyright is the photographers).

I'd say the parapet wall is the same stone but better dressed and just of a naturally darker stone of rather smaller sized pieces.

Edited by Anglian

Hi all,

I think you are right with the 'date' plate, I hadn't thought of bronze though. I think the stone on the parapet is possibly from down the line at Dent Head and described as Dent or Black Marble as I don't think the Midland would have dragged an non indigenous stone to an inaccessable location just for a feature.

I know ! I'll hire a chopper and zoom down for a close up!

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike

I don't know where in relation to your "Dent" the tunnel mouth is going, but, I remember when DJ did his Garsale Road he made the deep cutting into a tunnel and called it "Kirtley Fell Tunnel".

Ian

Hi Ian,

The tunnel is the first engineering feature north of the station past the 'elevated' stream diversion pipe, its probably about a mile distant but I am bringing it forward closer to the pipe as primarily a scenic break before entering the spiral. I have not formulated a plan for the southern end as yet but it will probably be another tunnel as I can only fit one of the two viaducts in before Blea Moor tunnel. I am striving for accuracy rather than fiction but inevetably compromises will have to be made.

Cheers

Mike

Success thinl I've got it.  Hope it is of some use.

Derek

Hi Derek,

You are a superstar, what a shot, the detail is great and I noticed the change from flat-bottom to bullhead rail on the down line, this is post 1955 I think which is perfect.

Many thanks,

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Mike, information on Cobalts is in a couple of posts on the current page of KL. You probably know all of it if you've used Tortoises (or equivalent) on a previous layout.

Derek's photo is very good. No water run-off channels apparent (have they just become overgrown with vegetation?), but I think it was a wise move to include them.

Jeff

Without going on too much about it, here are a few piccies of other tunnels on the S&C.  They all have the date over the arch and it just might be carved out of the stone.  All were taken in 1966 when I had a track pass between Settle Junction and Kirkby Stephen.  Quality is not so good mainly because I am a poor photographer, but also I had a cheapo camera.

Derek

post-6110-0-12281900-1357332975_thumb.jpg

Helm tunnel7.pdf

post-6110-0-95391100-1357333052_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 3