Hymeks at Birmingham New Street

• RMweb Gold

Have seen several sightings of Meks at BNS but no photo - until now

Super power for a DMU drag - Thunderbirds to the rescue with 7021/25!

http://www.miac.org.uk/5054ajb.htm#brd7021

Thanks to Andrew Smith for all his work on the MIAC site

Phil

• 2 years later...

Hymeks may have been rare at New Street but they were not that rare in Birmingham. Outside New Street near Proof House Junction, just between the LMR Coventry lines and the MR line coming in from Saltley there were a small group of exchange sidings used for parcels stock coming and going to Curzon Street parcels depot. In the late 1960s nearly every morning about 7-30 as I passed going into New Street there was a Hymek there on parcels duty, presumably collecting stock to return to the WR. No idea which route it took or wether it was going back to Worcester, or more likely Oxford though! 

Tony

If I remember rightly there used to be a Hymek worked passenger train from Worcester on Saturday afternoon/early evening. And then back to Worcester, whether it went on elsewhere after Worcester, I do not know. This service was also very occasionally by a Western.

Have seen several sightings of Meks at BNS but no photo - until now

Super power for a DMU drag - Thunderbirds to the rescue with 7021/25!

http://www.miac.org.uk/5054ajb.htm#brd7021

Thanks to Andrew Smith for all his work on the MIAC site

Phil

Unfortunately Phil's link does not appear to work any longer ?

A Hymek pic at BNS appeared on the old RMweb..........I may still have a copy.

Cheers Phill 

• RMweb Gold

Hymeks may have been rare at New Street but they were not that rare in Birmingham. Outside New Street near Proof House Junction, just between the LMR Coventry lines and the MR line coming in from Saltley there were a small group of exchange sidings used for parcels stock coming and going to Curzon Street parcels depot. In the late 1960s nearly every morning about 7-30 as I passed going into New Street there was a Hymek there on parcels duty, presumably collecting stock to return to the WR. No idea which route it took or wether it was going back to Worcester, or more likely Oxford though! 

Tony

Thanks Tony

There has been a subsequent post on another thread - cant remember which or I would link to it - pointing out that there were two booked Hymek workings daily up to the Brum area from Worcester each evening - one then dropped on to a Curzon St - Bristol parcels, suspect that's the one you allude to- the other IIRC went to Wolves HL and dropped on to a parcels from Crewe.

I remember seeing them pass Aggborough Stadium in Kidderminster on their way north when watching Kidder Harriers v Worcester City evening games. They also had a booked turn on tanks to Soho Pool although that didn't go through BNS.

Kind regards

Phil

A friend and I had booked a Scotrail pass in 1970/1. We started our journey from Gloucester to join a late evening Cardiff to Birmingham service and were overjoyed when a Hymek brought the train in to Gloucester station. Unfortunately for us a pair of 25's had worked down from the north and presumably needed to be worked back, so the Hymek was taken off and the 25s put on. It was a pity as I had had few Hymek powered trains and being able to say that I had been on a working into New Street via the Lickey would have been quite something. At least the rest of the trip was full of wonders such as class 06 shunters, NBL type 2's and Claytons!

• RMweb Gold

I've got a list of Hymek workings in 1973 of the Paddington-BNS services somewhere. I was surprised they were working that service so close to their demise. Of course it switched to Westerns and 47s from 1974, and there were only a few Hymek workings in 1973 (most were 52s and 47s) . I'll rack my brains to try and find it.

Neil

I've got a list of Hymek workings in 1973 of the Paddington-BNS services somewhere. I was surprised they were working that service so close to their demise. Of course it switched to Westerns and 47s from 1974, and there were only a few Hymek workings in 1973 (most were 52s and 47s) . I'll rack my brains to try and find it.

Neil

They were flung out on the Padd-Brums partly because they were all 'out and back' turns for the Old Oak crews involved so it was pretty much a given that the 'Meks would return home without being poached by the LMR. From memory, on one particular occasion 7026 and (I think) 7011 both worked these diagrams on the same day in 1973. They used to fly on these jobs with about nine bogies on, departing Leamington going north you could hear them climbing from the dip under the canal thrashing up towards Warwick and Hatton. Great days, never to be repeated.

They were flung out on the Padd-Brums partly because they were all 'out and back' turns for the Old Oak crews involved so it was pretty much a given that the 'Meks would return home without being poached by the LMR. From memory, on one particular occasion 7026 and (I think) 7011 both worked these diagrams on the same day in 1973. They used to fly on these jobs with about nine bogies on, departing Leamington going north you could hear them climbing from the dip under the canal thrashing up towards Warwick and Hatton. Great days, never to be repeated.

For some tasty New Street Hymeks, have a look on Flickr on "Invader1009" photos, type in Hymek on the search, cheers Andy.

For some tasty New Street Hymeks, have a look on Flickr on "Invader1009" photos, type in Hymek on the search, cheers Andy.

Good find andymozza........

https://www.flickr.com/photos/invader1009/15220014355/in/set-72157646091591506

https://www.flickr.com/photos/invader1009/15033319710/in/set-72157646091591506/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/invader1009/15196988636/in/set-72157646091591506/

Phill :)

Neil

I lived in High Wycombe for much of the 1970s, and my vague recollections through that alcoholic haze were of a fast train to Paddington in 1973 which left High Wycombe sometime around 9.30 a.m.

The reason that I remember this is because I had bought a stopwatch, and was trying to time various loco classes doing 85 mph or more, and I think that particular train did not stop at Gerrards Cross (and may not have stopped at Beaconsfield either) which gave it every chance of a high speed run towards Ruislip.

I am sure that I clocked a Hymek on this service doing about 90 once on that section, and it became a desperate attempt to repeat the experience before they were withdrawn.

Most services were 47s, but I just have a memory in the back of my mind that particular train had a chance of producing a 35.

• RMweb Gold

From 1967 when most of the Birmingham - Paddington trains went via Oxford the first Up in the morning went via the Bicester line. I think the stops were Solihull, Dorridge, Leamington, Banbury, Bicester, Princes Risboro and High Wycombe. The evening return was non-stop to High Wycombe. The service was still running up to at least early 1977 when I used it to get back from Wembley to Birmingham.

From 1967 when most of the Birmingham - Paddington trains went via Oxford the first Up in the morning went via the Bicester line. I think the stops were Solihull, Dorridge, Leamington, Banbury, Bicester, Princes Risboro and High Wycombe. The evening return was non-stop to High Wycombe. The service was still running up to at least early 1977 when I used it to get back from Wembley to Birmingham.

Most of the trains remained on the Bicester route until the early 1970s and one each way remained thus into the 1980s.

• RMweb Gold

Most of the trains remained on the Bicester route until the early 1970s and one each way remained thus into the 1980s.

Trains were diverted away from the Bicester route on the closure of Snow Hill in March 1967. Very little traffic remained on the Bicester route after the singling from Aynho to Princes Risboro in 1968. The line speed was reduced to 70mph as the remaining trains were almost all Banbury DMUs.

Archived