westerhamstation

• RMweb Premium

Hi Adrian.

Looking good. Those oast houses sure bring back memories of pleasant youthful days riding up to Ramsgate, Chatham and Margate. Hardly ever took the motorways even though it was normally quicker. (Although when you know your way and have a tuned engine things zip past, I could do Brighton - Dover in about 85 minutes via Lewes, Heathfield, Burwash and Hawkhurst😉)

Keep up the good modeling, it's nice to be able to catch up!

Regards Shaun.  

PS: I spotted your Ewer St. buildings on YouTube a few weeks back.

Edited by Sasquatch
Postscript.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Hi Adrian.

Looking good. Those oast houses sure bring back memories of pleasant youthful days riding up to Ramsgate, Chatham and Margate. Hardly ever took the motorways even though it was normally quicker. (Although when you know your way and have a tuned engine things zip past, I could do Brighton - Dover in about 85 minutes via Lewes, Heathfield, Burwash and Hawkhurst😉)

Keep up the good modeling, it's nice to be able to catch up!

Regards Shaun.  

PS: I spotted your Ewer St. buildings on YouTube a few weeks back.

Hi Shaun, it certainly was a better time for getting around, you could get from A to B without falling down bloody great pot holes, road works with temporary traffic lights with no one doing any work for months on end, and you could get parked when you got there. I sometimes have a drive around the places I remember from years back, all from the comfort of the settee and Google street view.

What I have noticed is the amount of building that has gone on in what used to be orchards, hop fields and what was considered Green Belt land, all the old Oast Houses have been converted into housing, and proper pubs are vanishing in front of your eyes. I will be posting my build of the Oast House for Weald  once I have knocked down the modern housing estate and Tesco express that is now  occupying the site. All the best to you Adrian.  

• Like 9
  • Funny 1

• westerhamstation changed the title to Westerham, + Weald site cleared for oast house
3 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

And hopefully cider will only be defined by dry or (if you must) sweet and anything made from pears won’t be cider but Perry.

:-)

Paul.

It may be considered a heresy but I have had several entertaining nights when that Magners pear cider first came out.

Definitely more like a Perry or fortified wine, goes down like pop.

Real Cider is made from apples as any fule kno.

Edited by MrWolf
Missed a bit!
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, westerhamstation said:

Right that didn't take long to knock the Tesco Express down as well as the new houses built on the farm land, now it's back to how it was sixty plus years ago, this site will have a barn with twin oasts and a pub will be reinstated down the road opposite the goods yard for the locals and hop pickers , this will be a Maidstone brewery (style and winch) serving proper beer, people asking for cocktails, latte, or crisps that are any other flavour than plain with a screw of salt in blue paper will not be tolerated, ladies will be welcomed in the lounge bar. All the best Adrian.

Presumably it will be "a glass of white wine for the ladies"? 😏

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• westerhamstation changed the title to Westerham, + Weald the farmer has been busy
  • RMweb Premium

Hi ya Adrian. You are making me quite homesick my friend. Good job too!

I do remember those kind of pubs. As a scooter club we joined the Sussex MAG (motorcycle action group) and got roped into the pool and darts tournament. Our pub was The Crab in Shoreham-by-Sea, a rather basic pub run by a true gentleman of a landlord even when the Hells Angels showed up to give us a good thrashing. (at pool and darts of course). I also have vague memories of a trip out to a spit and sawdust pub the other side of Robertsbridge to play some big hairy bikers who looked a bit put off because we brought along two female members. To break the ice, Eddy went up to the bar and in a loud posh voice asked for a Babycham.

Regards Shaun.  

Edited by Sasquatch
Typos.
  • Like 2
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Hi ya Adrian. You are making me quite homesick my friend. Good job too!

To break the ice, Eddy went up to the bar and in a load posh voice asked for a Babycham.

Regards Shaun.  

Yup, that a great ice-breaker.....    with a possible risk of a few more broken things.  Congrats to Eddy, who managed to get the tone right.....   Good man.

J

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• westerhamstation changed the title to Westerham, + Weald oast house construction
  • westerhamstation changed the title to Westerham, + Weald part 2 oast house construction
  • westerhamstation changed the title to Westerham, + Weald part 3 oast house construction
  • RMweb Gold

Nicely modelled, I especially like how you've painted the woodwork.  Please excuse a quite possibly dumb question, but it looks to me as if you've used embossed brick sheets for the roofing?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Lovely job Adrian and very inspiring. That's a very effective paint job, you almost had me believe that was the real thing for a second. I had to scroll back up for a closer look!😁

Regards Shaun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Graham T said:

Nicely modelled, I especially like how you've painted the woodwork.  Please excuse a quite possibly dumb question, but it looks to me as if you've used embossed brick sheets for the roofing?

Hi Graham, you are quite correct, the reason being that I cannot find anything that looks like Kent peg tiles in any material be it paper or plasticard

(a royal charter of 1477 decreeing that plain tiles should be standardised to ten and a half inches by six and one quarter inches, Kent peg tiles typically remained at ten inches by six inches).  this in oo gauge is quite a small tile if you take into account the overlap on the tiles, so i thought that when painted and weathered which I haven't done yet it might not be so noticable, we shall see. Thank you for asking, and it's not a dumb question at all.

All the best Adrian.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• westerhamstation changed the title to Westerham, + Weald. White pointy things

Hi Adrian. When I saw Westerham, + Weald. White pointy things in my follow list, I knew precisely what you had been up to having grown up in Kent. 

They look the bees knees*

*other animal related compliments are also available

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• westerhamstation changed the title to Westerham, + Weald. Hop Pickers wanted
  • RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, westerhamstation said:

Hop Pickers Wanted, but not until September, when the hops will be ready for picking.   think the next building might be the pub as I owe the farmer a few pints for giving me the land to build the Oat House.

http://www.dover-kent.com/2014-project/Peacock-Iden-Green.html

Our local until we moved to France - taking the landlady and her hubby with us!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1