westerhamstation

• westerhamstation changed the title to Westerham and beyond, a wardrobe door
  • RMweb Gold

No this isn't a story about the Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe it's about an old chipboard wardrobe door that's being repurposed as a platform and road. It will provide the base level for this and will covered and edged.

Some pictures of progress. All the best Adrian.

1893794008_platform1.JPG.208a445d007d176dcf8f1d31743ff53d.JPG

20236298_platform2.JPG.4281956644ee53397e0ad53959bd5a2e.JPG

14028650_platform3.JPG.69dd992cce99c06213e27d041ac74250.JPG

43391197_platform4.JPG.266c0873faad79e9dcb4827db54d05e7.JPG

1251597707_platform5.JPG.79360c8fa9a7d8895faa92852407a5ee.JPG

208174814_platform6.JPG.71bfb6d67a4ac050f3f1840db4ec14f8.JPG

• Like 19

Also the best thing to do with a chipboard wardrobe, IMHO. Although if cut into narrow strips you can make decent shelving out of them. Our wardrobes are old solid ones and I'm pretty confident that I would be in trouble if I sawed them up.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Also the best thing to do with a chipboard wardrobe, IMHO. Although if cut into narrow strips you can make decent shelving out of them. Our wardrobes are old solid ones and I'm pretty confident that I would be in trouble if I sawed them up.

I would raise your "pretty confident" to a "highly likely".

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Fantastic use of an old bit of furniture. 

Can I offer some advice about edging up chip board. Use nothing else other that two coats of contact adhesive on both surfaces and rub the two together with the back of a cabinet hammer or the rounded corner of a section of hard wood. You can file away all the overlap a few hours later.

Good luck, Shaun. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, westerhamstation said:

Wishing you all a Happy Christmas..

I have asked Father Christmas if when he is on his rounds around the world, could he please keep a lookout for our missing images, as I am really missing them now.

All the best Adrian. 

1523442718_christmascard1.jpg.7d2d6487c02f3e37f548d5b52e5c5166.jpg

Adrian,

This is so unfair.  I have not had time to model, let alone thinl about Christmas messages!  😉

Have a good Christmas and I look forward to seeing more of your excellent modelling next year.  All the best to Mrs Westerham and doggie Westerham.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• westerhamstation changed the title to Westerham, + Weald progress at last
On 19/08/2022 at 18:19, MrWolf said:

Congratulations on a particularly neat and convincing bit of model civil engineering. The muted colours in the final picture are very effective.

As for the buses, they must be on strike, it's been far too hot for air strikes.

WW2-Chronology-307-px800.jpg.567a69fd5e63912614417bd6b08c9f51.jpg

Helmut and his chums discovered that what works well in India with trains does not work so well when attempted with a plane.

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, Fishplate said:

That is looking great @westerhamstation. When I scrolled down your last pictures, they look so much like Headcorn and the junction there. Screams "this is Kent" to me. 

Looking forward to seeing more.

It does indeed, everything about it gives a real sense of place, the mock ups of the buildings are an excellent aid to visualising the finished results.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Oasts, round or rectangular, need cowls on the top of the roof. These days most cosmetic ones are fibre-glass, I think! Hop-pickers need accommodation. Hoppers' huts were cheap and nasty 'dwellings' in rows, typically in a field near the bines. Obviously occupied but for a handful of weeks per annum, they lacked light, heating, drainage or running water. Most such structures have long been rased. 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

A description of oast houses and their construction.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/article/Oast-Houses

https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/hop-pickers-kent-old-photos/

A nice little snippet of hop picking

All the best and enjoy your beer Adrian

12 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Oasts, round or rectangular, need cowls on the top of the roof. These days most cosmetic ones are fibre-glass, I think! Hop-pickers need accommodation. Hoppers' huts were cheap and nasty 'dwellings' in rows, typically in a field near the bines. Obviously occupied but for a handful of weeks per annum, they lacked light, heating, drainage or running water. Most such structures have long been rased. 

Edited by westerhamstation
additional link added
  • Like 8

• westerhamstation changed the title to Westerham, + Weald Gone Hop Picking