westerhamstation

Progress I see though it takes a brave man to take a hammer to his layout!

No doubt the first swing is the hardest.

Best of luck and look forward to seeing the end result.

Will be following with interest.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Adrian, regarding an earlier post about emulating real life events, I was wrong in this case. I checked yesterday and the Metal box building is still standing strong albeit looking a little different. The building that is being demolished backs on to Lavington St.

M

IMG_20220629_111742313_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220629_111750916_HDR.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/06/2022 at 10:13, Multigauge said:

Adrian, regarding an earlier post about emulating real life events, I was wrong in this case. I checked yesterday and the Metal box building is still standing strong albeit looking a little different. The building that is being demolished backs on to Lavington St.

M

IMG_20220629_111742313_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220629_111750916_HDR.jpg

Hi Multigauge, thanks for the updated pictures of the Metal Box Co, the phrase you Can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear,  springs to mind with what the developers have done to it. All the best Adrian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, westerhamstation said:

Welcome back, a start at last on the new baseboard for the junction terminus out in the country.

You will doubtless be pleased to know that the boiler box method of construction is going to be used once again, mixed with some hanging basket liner of the Jute type will form the basis of the chalk cutting. As I am making this bit of the layout up as i go along things may change at the moment I have a sort of plan in my head, which is probably not the best place to keep it but we will see how we get along.

Some pictures of progress so far. All the best Adrian.

Emerging from Westerham showing the old Ewer street sky.

1.JPG.ad8705ceeff331162035038688ade582.JPG

Jute hanging basket liner which will form the cutting, and a card mock up of a bridge to hide the hole.2.JPG.8966548da0601dbef56662f7ec743b18.JPG

The sky backscene has been lowered, and a plywood former has been bent round to form the edge of the cutting.

3.JPG.af62e314faefdf1b36c06f98ffc3b899.JPG

Card formers for the cutting.

4.JPG.3738d3f6e9bb4348fe4a80eec0bd8a34.JPG

Slots cut out for the road.

5.JPG.07b7ecd407968ddde94bfc2b8247ffc4.JPG

Trial fit of the road.

6.JPG.a55ff60f1223aa917d89b7694b9cb14f.JPG

Liner trial fitted.7.JPG.fd56767ccf99923ff8166c85fddcf5eb.JPG

Liner trimmed back.

8.JPG.166ef5ff2004127e0389aff9b64b5892.JPG

Next bit will be building the bridge.

Looks like a good start.

Your head, is the best place to keep the plan, at least you will not lose it.  🙂  (That is not true for me as often I find things in my head that I put there and had completely forgotten.)

You are going to put a bus on the bridge, aren't you?  I think it is compulsory.

• Like 3
  • Funny 8

3 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Looks like a good start.

Definitely the start of a railway in the landscape, looking forward to seeing the project develop.

Your head, is the best place to keep the plan, at least you will not lose it.  🙂  (That is not true for me as often I find things in my head that I put there and had completely forgotten.)

So it's not just me? That's really good to know, especially when those voices start.... 🤪

You are going to put a bus on the bridge, aren't you?  I think it is compulsory.

Anyone else hear a large number of approaching aircraft? 🤔

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Anyone else hear a large number of approaching aircraft?

I thought you wouldn’t be able to resist.

:-)

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

Congratulations on a particularly neat and convincing bit of model civil engineering. The muted colours in the final picture are very effective.

As for the buses, they must be on strike, it's been far too hot for air strikes.

WW2-Chronology-307-px800.jpg.567a69fd5e63912614417bd6b08c9f51.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Adrian. I learnt today that one of my dad's first jobs was at the Metal Box Company!

Small world!

Lovely bridge work, I wouldn't put a bus on it though, it might become a target for Luftwaffe dive bombers!

Regards Shaun.   

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/08/2022 at 10:19, MrWolf said:

Congratulations on a particularly neat and convincing bit of model civil engineering. The muted colours in the final picture are very effective.

As for the buses, they must be on strike, it's been far too hot for air strikes.

The title for that picture should read...

"How many Jerries does it take to change a tire"?

Spectacles, Testicles, wallet and watch. Hat, coat, door....  

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On 19/08/2022 at 18:19, MrWolf said:

Other Dive Bombers are available.

Regards Lez. 

• Funny 2

3 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Other Dive Bombers are available.

Regards Lez. 

Indeed, mostly carrier based. The one that was lurking in the fiddle yard when I started building my layout just happened to be a JU87, the explanation for its presence was to take out buses plonked on model railway bridges.

I also have a B24J Liberator, but that's overkill for a Leyland National 2.

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• westerhamstation changed the title to Westerham, and beyond, finishing the bridge
  • westerhamstation changed the title to Westerham, and beyond, trees and scrub
  • westerhamstation changed the title to Westerham and beyond, trees and scrub

Those trees look really good, with proper airy canopies rather than the usual clumps on the ends of branches as is often seen.

Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, I will be nicking the idea but will source a different flavour of stick to circumvent any copyright....

It's still quite green way Oop north...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 15/09/2022 at 20:13, MrWolf said:

Those trees look really good, with proper airy canopies rather than the usual clumps on the ends of branches as is often seen.

Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, I will be nicking the idea but will source a different flavour of stick to circumvent any copyright....

It's still quite green way Oop north...

Lovely Adrian, the layout's scrubbing up nicely.  Praabber jaab...

J

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/06/2022 at 16:02, westerhamstation said:

Hi Multigauge, the main buildings of ewer street have been saved as they were not fixed, the only one that had to be destroyed was the grand vittesse canopies and platforms. 

The Thorburn and Baines low relief building is 4ft 6" long, whilst the Metal Box building is 3ft long.sundry other bits have been saved as well.

What am I to do with them I have know idea, any suggestions welcome. All the best Adrian.

Ps Westerham and Brasted stations escaped unharmed and are alive and well as you will see in future posts.  

448412209_outside4.thumb.JPG.7243cad77d24ec2b3b61a2164b214294.JPG

Hi All,

Just to let you know that a home has been found for the Ewer Street buildings. 

I got in contact with Adrian and he has very kindly donated them to our groups project also based on Ewer Street.

Our group is SLAG and the layout is Bankside and the link should take you to it.

Hopefully we can incorporate the building into the layout in some form or other.

Bankside will be at Scaleforum in High Wycombe this weekend 24th and 25th September 2022 and Adrian's Ewer Street building are being transported down and will be on display next to the layout.

Thanks Adrian, from SLAG and myself.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, brightspark said:

I got in contact with Adrian and he has very kindly donated them to our groups project also based on Ewer Street.

Our group is SLAG and the layout is Bankside and the link should take you to it.

Hopefully we can incorporate the building into the layout in some form or other.

That's great news. Have added the link you put on to my "follow" list. Good luck with the exhibition.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2