Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

To continue,

My other deliveries have included this:

post-17302-0-73895500-1371678425.jpg

and this:

post-17302-0-96410200-1371678424.jpg

That's some Half round 2.5mm evergreen strip for the gutters, and some round 2mm for the drainpipes, both to go on the Goods Shed.

They both look tiny in comparison to what came with the ratio signalbox, but 2.5mm is roughly equal to 8 inches diameter for the guttering - which is probably too big,  and 2mm to 6 inches diameter for the downpipes, which is about spot on.

I tried to hollow out the flat side of the half-round strip to make it look more guttering-like, by sticking it round side down to the cutting mat with some plasticine, and attacking the flat surface with a triangular needle-file:

post-17302-0-08625100-1371677714_thumb.jpg

but that was an abject failure, so I gave up.

Instead I cut out some supports for the guttering from 20thou plasticard:

post-17302-0-87656800-1371677715_thumb.jpg

and stuck them on with MekPak.

post-17302-0-71570900-1371677717_thumb.jpg

Then I painted the flat side with a dark greenish grey ( I think it's Humbrol acrylic No.61 ) .

post-17302-0-70493800-1371677719_thumb.jpg

For the drainpipes, I made a 45 degree cut across the 2mm round strip, and joined the two faces of the cut with a very short off-cut, to form the elbow where the downpipe joins the guttering:

post-17302-0-57682300-1371677721_thumb.jpg

And that's about as far as I've got.

Oh, one other delivery:

post-17302-0-64849900-1371677723_thumb.jpg

Can you tell what it is yet?

No? It's a roll of hanging basket liner :yes: Yep, I'm about to get into the landscape business!

I've got to stay up and babysit a bunch of internet servers tonight, and I'm not at work tomorrow, so I may do some more to the bridge and the guttering, and post it up here.

See you soon,

Al.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Alastair, I'm going to spend some time reading through your thread. We share a lot of similar ideas, construction-wise and I recognised your bridge immediately from the photo you posted a while back on KL.

The mention of hanging basket liner reminds me that I must go and buy some.

Good stuff (and it's Midland/LMS - even better!!)

Jeff

• Like 2

Hi Al, I seem to be chasing Jeff all around tonight and I can't type fast enough.

Anyway enough of all this cobblers and just to say the bridge looks fantastic mate, You, Jeff and Jason, (where is he by the way, not seen him on here lately) are all so good at bridges and general structures, really good mate, well done again.

Bodgit

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy, thank you.

I don't think I'm in Jeff or Jason's class when it comes to building and weathering structures, Jeff's carpentry is much better than mine and as for Jason, well, he's built a whole town!

Having said which, I'm quite happy how the stuff I've done is turning out, no-one is more surprised than me!

Sorry to tease you with the hanging basket liner photo, but it should be making an appearance on the layout soon, if only to hide all that newspaper :O

• Like 1

Hi Andy, thank you.

I don't think I'm in Jeff or Jason's class when it comes to building and weathering structures, Jeff's carpentry is much better than mine and as for Jason, well, he's built a whole town!

Having said which, I'm quite happy how the stuff I've done is turning out, no-one is more surprised than me!

Sorry to tease you with the hanging basket liner photo, but it should be making an appearance on the layout soon, if only to hide all that newspaper :O

You go for it my Son and show Jeff how it should be done. hahaaaaa

Bodgit

• RMweb Gold

Alastair, I'm going to spend some time reading through your thread. We share a lot of similar ideas, construction-wise and I recognised your bridge immediately from the photo you posted a while back on KL.

The mention of hanging basket liner reminds me that I must go and buy some.

Good stuff (and it's Midland/LMS - even better!!)

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks very much, I hope you enjoy what I've done so far.

I can't hope to match the sheer breadth of scenery you have, but then I haven't got the space, but I hope it will be faithful to the prototype, anyway.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Thanks very much, I hope you enjoy what I've done so far.

I can't hope to match the sheer breadth of scenery you have, but then I haven't got the space, but I hope it will be faithful to the prototype, anyway.

At least you may get something finished in a shorter time than I have! At the moment, one thing has to be done before the next, before the next....

I'll be very interested to see what you do with the liner and how you do it. Andy has had some lovely results with basket liner, but it's a technique I've never tried.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

As promised, In between sorting out recalcitrant Web servers, I've done some more bits and pieces.

Here is the guttering in it's final coat of LMS / Midland Crimson:

post-17302-0-14551500-1371703043_thumb.jpg

And here it is fixed to the side of the building:

post-17302-0-05385900-1371703045_thumb.jpg

For the downpipe, i got a bit ambitious and tried to model the fixing brackets as closely as possible. So I cut some thin slivers of 10thou plasticard (the really thin stuff like stiff paper) and glued it round the pipe and formed two wings. Once the MekPak had hardened, I trimmed and bent the two wings to form the wall plates of the brackets:

post-17302-0-48359800-1371703048_thumb.jpg

...and after the pipe had received its coat of crimson, I attached it to the building. Here's a couple of shots of the finished article:

post-17302-0-48833300-1371703050_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-54003100-1371703052_thumb.jpg

Yes, I know the downpipe isn't quite vertical, that's by design, honest...

Just got to do the same on the other side, now.

Next, we go back to the bridge...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

At least you may get something finished in a shorter time than I have! At the moment, one thing has to be done before the next, before the next....

I'll be very interested to see what you do with the liner and how you do it. Andy has had some lovely results with basket liner, but it's a technique I've never tried.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Sorry, I was composing the above post and missed you.

Even given the disparity in the size of our layouts, I think you work at a faster rate, so you may still beat me! It's rare that I get as much time as I have had tonight to do things, mostly it's just a couple of hours in the week.

The liner, I'm just going to chuck it over the hillside and see how it looks :D

Cheers,

Al

• RMweb Premium

Nice work Al. The guttering looks the part and the colour is spot on. Any specific make of crimson?

I'll need to do something similar when I get round to the station buildings/goods shed.

I think you put yourself down a bit - the structures you're building are very well done.

Jeff

Btw - early bird, you're as crazy as me...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Bridge:

So, a bit more progress on the bridge as well. I've added the coping stones on the parapet, (individually, too, none of this scoring lark!) and shoved a bit of filler in the more obviously horrendous gaps. This was then left to dry, and then I gave it a first coat of the Matt Sand base colour. It'll need at least another coat before I start weathering.

Here's the evidence, milud:

post-17302-0-28134700-1371704493_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-46502700-1371704495_thumb.jpg

More in a bit.

Who needs sleep anyway, a much overrated pastime. :D

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Btw - early bird, you're as crazy as me...

Ha! I haven't been to bed yet. I started work at 07:00 yesterday morning, and I've been overseeing some configuration changes to a load of Servers since midnight, and dealing with the consequences :O

Oh, and doing some modelling as well :D

EDIT: That colour is Humbrol Acrylic RC403, can't remember the descriptive name.

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 1

Hi Jeff,

Sorry, I was composing the above post and missed you.

Even given the disparity in the size of our layouts, I think you work at a faster rate, so you may still beat me! It's rare that I get as much time as I have had tonight to do things, mostly it's just a couple of hours in the week.

The liner, I'm just going to chuck it over the hillside and see how it looks :D

Cheers,

Al

Hi Al and Jeff, don't forget its not a race, that has always been my problem so don't get sucked into it.

You both have the same but different final objectives and it is really great to watch and LEARN from two of the webs finest modellers.

Bodgit

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Thanks for those wise words. I don't think either Jeff or myself feel that we are in a race, it's just a bit of banter, as you know.

As I said to Jeff, I don't usually have a lot of free time to work on the layout, so last night has meant I could crack on with things a bit.

However, that won't be the case normally, so I'll be going slow and steady as usual.

You're very kind to call us "webs finest" but certainly for myself, I'm a complete novice, as I only really started this year, and when you look on this forum at what some of the members can achieve, my efforts pale into insignificance.

All the best,

Al

• RMweb Gold

That stonework is beautifully done; it reminds me of my old primary school, which had (indeed, still has) walls of Pennant Sandstone, partially dressed, and door and window surrounds of dressed stone.

Thanks very much Brian, the original is, I think, Millstone Grit, the local stone, and it weathers to the most wonderful collection of different colours as you can see in the photos of the real thing.

• RMweb Gold

Final post today, probably, I need some sleep.

I've completed the bridge now, as far as I can until the roadway detailing is done.

Below are some photos of the finished work. Having spent time carefully weathering and detailing the inside of the arch, I've found it almost impossible to get a decent photo of it with the bridge aligned correctly, so I took one with it standing on edge. The irony is that the detail will never be seen when the bridge is on the layout, but I'll know it's there, and that's what counts.

Thanks for all the kind comments I have received about this build, It's made it all worth while.

General view:

post-17302-0-36938800-1371719653_thumb.jpg

Detail with bridge in normal position:

post-17302-0-21495800-1371719655_thumb.jpg

Under arch detail:

post-17302-0-86198800-1371719656_thumb.jpg

Back in place on the layout:

post-17302-0-96958400-1371719658_thumb.jpg

It appears to be levitating, in the last image, which is quite a trick for several hundred tons of stone, however the platforms are yet to be surfaced which will even up the levels.

Good night all...

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Al

I have been following your thread from the start (can't ignore a location that's close to home). and I don't put yourself down as a modeller. I mean, its common sense and anyone who is thinking of starting a model should stick to the same rules.

How to build your first bridge:

1. Select a very complex prototype to copy

2. It must ne on a curve

3. It must slope down  heavily from one side to the other

4 It must be "skewed"

5 The track  and road alignments must be different

6. The bridge abutments must be different

7. The original must be constructed from at least two different materials

As long as you follow these simple rules it will be a "piece of cake"       :O

I have often stood looking at the real one, imagining what it used to be like and your model can already invoke the feeling of "being there". Great work.

Chris

Edited by Kenokie
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris, thank you very much for your comments.

I love your list, and put like that, I agree that I did set myself a bit of a challenge, and believe me, I am very happy with how the bridge has turned out.

But that's what you get for choosing to model a prototype, instead of a made up location.

I still maintain, however, that I'm just a beginner at this modelling lark, and I'm sure there are things I could and should have done differently.

But I'm learning all the time, and that, for me, is one of the most enjoyable aspects of this hobby.

• Like 1

Love your structures - that shed is brilliant.

With the hanging basket liner you could try the glue and rip method.  That is glue it down then once the glue has set pull it off.  It should leave suitable vegetation behind.  It makes it go further and also disguises its origin.  Apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs.

• RMweb Gold

Hi jon_1066,

Thanks very much for your comments, and for your advice about the hanging basket liner. No, your not teaching me to suck eggs, as I haven't done this before, so any and all tips are most welcome.

• RMweb Gold

Having slept most of the day, I now find I can't sleep, even though I've got to be up for work at 6:30.

Rather than lie there staring at the darkness, I've been and done some more to the Goods shed.

I have made the doors for the loading bays. Most photos show that only the centre bay was ever used, so I will model it with the end doors closed.

The doors are wooden planking, and rather than score some plasticard I chose to cut out the individual planks and then stick them on a backing sheet. I think it looks more effective.

Here's the raw material, cut out of 20thou plasticard:

post-17302-0-13847500-1371773036_thumb.jpg

And here's the doors complete and awaiting paint:

post-17302-0-57126200-1371773038_thumb.jpg

Finally, here are some shots of the doors fitted, and also one showing the guttering on the other side having been completed. You will note the broken downpipe on one side, which existed on the prototype, so I thought I'd model it.

post-17302-0-51758100-1371773040_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-50967000-1371773042_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-33616800-1371773044_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 6

Morning Al, Re the hanging basket liner,

On my most of my layouts I have used it in 3 different ways,

Firstly lay it grass side up and rough it up for rough grass and brambles by adding Woodland or Gaugemaster leaves.

Secondly lay it grass side up and when dry trim it with scissors so that it is short, you can add Scatter over areas of this for different effects.

Lastly as Jon says, grass side down and rip it off when dry, I found that it needed about a week to dry, and ensure you give the base a good dark Green or Brown first.

I have used HBL on all my layouts including Glenfinick and then over covered it with other stuff to build up different effects.

Good luck and I am looking forward to seeing the results.

P.S. That shed does look fantastic mate.

Bodgit

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy, thanks for that info.

When I've got sorted, I'll post a picture of the HBL, as I'm not sure what type it is, although I deliberately didn't get the Jute or cork ones as I didn't think they were right.

What I'll probably do is get a small off cut from the roll and try doing all the methods you mention, and see what it looks like.