Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

I expect to see miniatures of all of them now....

Andy G

:D

I actually remember two of them from when I was growing up, and there are still Bakewell families with those surnames.

Not sure I can get lifelike miniatures in 4mm,,, but I can certainly give the correct names to people now.

Cheers Andy,

Al.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your nice comment on Goathland Al.

So I got looking into the signaling at Bakewell (instead of getting on with my own signal builds :nomention:), which  is something I rather enjoy doing! 
Here's a link to the signal diagram at Bakewell, http://www.signalbox.org/diagrams.php?id=900 it includes 6 ground signals(1,3,16,18,20&24), two single arm posts (9&13) and a colour light ( 8 ) which would be on stage. Three more, (10,14&15) are off stage for your layout.

11 & 12 I suspect, due to their proximity to the signal cabin are detonator placers.  According to the information on Mr. Hinsons site 3,19,and 20 would be black and yellow. All cool stuff to model.

Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

11 and 12 are det placers (black and white chevrons on the levers, facing up for the up road, and down for the down road)

3, 19 and 20 are yellow discs. At the time you are modelling they would actually be whit background with a yellow stripe. The boundary between the white and yellow will have a quarter inch(?) black line along it. These signals allow you to pass 3 'on' to head to the stop blocks, but you have to wait until it comes off to go onto the main line. 19 and 20 can again be passed on to remain in the yard, but you need them off to get onto the main.

Andy G

• Like 1

11 and 12 are det placers (black and white chevrons on the levers, facing up for the up road, and down for the down road)

3, 19 and 20 are yellow discs. At the time you are modelling they would actually be whit background with a yellow stripe. The boundary between the white and yellow will have a quarter inch(?) black line along it. These signals allow you to pass 3 'on' to head to the stop blocks, but you have to wait until it comes off to go onto the main line. 19 and 20 can again be passed on to remain in the yard, but you need them off to get onto the main.

Andy G

HECK, :O  I'm confused :stinker:  :stinker: :stinker:  

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Shaun, and Andy, that's very useful.

Andy, one thing that puzzled me, last time I looked at the signalling, was that the Down Starter seems not to be visible from the end of the platform. Various photos seem to show that is round the corner out of view.

This photo, for instance:

post-17302-0-31364300-1429188206_thumb.jpg

Used with permission.

If that is the case, would the bobby make some sort of signal from the box to start a train out of the station?

Thanks,

Al.

• RMweb Premium

The first box I learnt (Thetford) had exactly that, and littleport does to an extent too.

If the starter is off (and the bobby has had the time*) the driver should get the distant too, so the driver will know that he has the road through. If he doesn't get the distant off and the home is off, after station duties the driver will crawl round until he can see the signal.

Easy!

Andy G

* there might be a reason that you distant check by accident, usually when the trains are up each others whatsits. Here the drivers will realise what is happening and will probably deliberately loose a bit of time so that they can get the 'set' off at the next box.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers, Andy.

This is a very stupid question I know, but am I right in thinking that the locking is set so that Home and Starter have to be pulled off before the Distant can be?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hang on, looking at the photo the signal in the distance just above the tender on the 8F to the right, is the home board, sorry second home (number 9), Number 8 is the home board, and 14 is the starter (or these days the section). All on the up.

Is that the down starter/section just to the right of the steam from the other train?

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Hang on, looking at the photo the signal in the distance just above the tender on the 8F to the right, is the home board, sorry second home (number 9), Number 8 is the home board, and 14 is the starter (or these days the section). All on the up.

Is that the down starter/section just to the right of the steam from the other train?

Andy G

I think that's a telegraph pole, although it's not clear. Yes, number 9 is the Up Home, the Up Starter and Down Home are together on a post at the other end of the Down platform.

This is a better picture of the view from platform end, from the Disused-Stations site:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/bakewell/new/bakewell(dibbotson_c1968)88.jpg

Al

• RMweb Premium

Nice signal that up and down combo. If only I could find a decent bit of wood to replicate it! Mind you the Mrs doesn't know what is going to 'appear' in the garden soon...........

Andy G

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Yeah, it's definitely going to have to be custom built, that one, None of the 4mm signal manufacturers do one that matches it.

Oh, and they were both lower quadrant until 1963 as well...

Al.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I was looking at the block diagram again and realized that 13 down starter is positioned past the goods exit so would act as a starter for trains exiting the goods sidings and for the down platform.

No. 10 is low on the  opposite post of 14 so as to been seen around the curve and under the bridge by up drivers.

I too get confuddled sometimes  Andy "Bodgit" P.   As No. 14 is illustrated from the rear on the block diagram by the black bar on the rear of its arm!! 

Andy G, you'll need a decent sized band saw, a 15" min width over hand planer  and a small crew of grunts!

If only you were a little  5000 miles closer, I have just the piece of wood and my friend just down the road has built his own saw mill! It would go in my truck too!!

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed how quiet ones thread gets when the dreaded "S" subject comes up?  

Also was wondering about the color of the yellow discs as to whether or not they were yellow on black?

Shaun  

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh, don't tempt me. I've already got to sneak a ground signal (BR ER) and a Colour Light (more news when I get it) into the garden, along with a lever frame to operate them..... Something fun for visitors to play with.. Not to mention my Dads 12ft high semaphore I'm restoring for a surprise 70th birthday present (He's always wanted a signal...)

The black faced ones are a fairly modern variation, to make them more noticeable.

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Andy G

Not quite Andy.

The signal is the home (9), Bakewells up distant was combined with Hassops up starter, and so Bakewell controlled the Yellow / Green when the signal was cleared by Hassop. The aux yellow was provided for filament failures.

I doubt the down section signal is visible in the shot, it will be around the curve.

The signalman would not get involved in trains starting from the platform - this was long before the ding, ding away days.

cheers,

• RMweb Gold

As No. 14 is illustrated from the rear on the block diagram by the black bar on the rear of its arm!! 

The standard way of representing a signal when it's mounted on the post of another - I would have drawn it with 10 as the black stripe as 14 is in the correct place and on the correct side for running, 10 is on the wrong (right) side. JH doesn't quote a source so without a picture of the actual box diagram it's hard to be 100% sure which way round it would be.