The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Moments of daftness

Captain Kernow

In November I drove down to the big biennial show in Orleans for the first time and about half way down stayed the night in a hotel in a small town not far from where the movie "The Train" was filmed.  The new owners were a couple and he was from Mauritius so welcomed the chance to speak English. The next morning, after a very good breakfast, we had a lovely chat while I was checking out. Later that day and about two hundred miles further on I went back to my car after exploring one of the few surviving stations on the old Pithiviers- Toury tramway and thought  my keys seemed a bit heavy. They weren't but the hotel key on one of those big brass weights designed to avoid that very thing happening was. Slightly sheepish call to the female half of the hotel ownership and I agreed to return them on the way back a couple of days later.

The annoying thing was that as I drove back on the Sunday along seconday roads (that just happened to pass close to several old branch lines!) none of the small town restaurants I passed were open for lunch and one who was catering for a remembrance Sunday old soldiers' group  assured me that I'd find nothing open in that region except a McDo or a Buffalo Grill in the next city forty miles out of my way. Eventually I did find a roadside place but the food was indifferent and it was very overpriced. Ten miles later I reached the hotel to return the key and it turned out that far from being closed they'd had a very tempting gastronomic lunch for about the same price.  He did though give me a coffee and a liquor as a thankyou for returning the key and if I pass that way again I'll eat there. 

• RMweb Gold

Well it appears that the CSI (TV programme) idea about putting a soggy phone in a sealed tub of rice does in fact work, I've reassembled the phone that went swimming in my coffee and touch wood so far it's alive and working. :locomotive:

It works on radio mic packs too, I've just finished a run of panto (oh yes I have!) and on day two the fairy dropped her beltpack down the loo, (well that's what we are guessing, somehow it came to be full of water, she made some excuse about washing her hands)

After two days in a sealed tub of rice it worked fine for the last three shows. The other days she had to shout!

Andi

I went to Merchant Navy college in Plymouth in the late 1960s and on weekend leaves often came back on the Sun/Mon overnight from Paddington via Bristol which was mostly newspapers and parcels with two or three passenger carriages. I usually didn't get much sleep after Bristol as that was where the RN personnel, some of them noisily inebriated, got on. One night though it was a bit quieter so I was able to sleep- a little too well- as when I woke up we were trundling through deepest Kernow. I got off at Bodmin Road the next stop at I suppose around 06.00. After about forty five minutes on a cold damp platform the first DMU for Plymouth arrived and from there to the Saltash bridge every station had its little knot of sailors who'd also overslept. In those days of course the guard wasn't so unsporting as to demand payment for the extra journey and I assume this happened every monday morning.

Verrrry interesting, but not stupid.

I did that once with my season ticket to Bracknell.

Thought that was the moment of daftness - who gets a season ticket to Bracknell? A day return should be enough.<br /><br />I'm afraid my weakness is slippers. (substitute any comfy shoes) I have been known to go out to the shops/to work (spare work shoes in locker)/and even drive all the way to Dorset only to discover on arrival or even on return that I'd been wearing comfy slippers all the time.

In my rush to get out for a hot date decades ago, I omitted to don underpants under my trousers. I nipped into Boots to buy some of the then-new disposable kecks, but found that they only had them for ladies; I bought a pack and slipped into the toilet to put a pair on. I had to make my girlfriend promise that if I was knocked down by a bus and rushed to hospital, she would explain to the medical staff why I was wearing women's underwear ...

Archived