The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Moments of daftness

Captain Kernow

For a mobile phone, remove as much as practical, covers, battery, sim card & wash with clean hot water. Then dry thoroughly with a hair dryer. That will remove anything corrosive & hopefully, it will be fully operational. If you leave it dirty, it will probably die within a week & may be too late to save.

On programmes such as CSI, they put wet mobiles in a pot of uncooked rice, and let that absorb any remaining moisture. Anyone know if that actually works, or is it another urban myth made hard fact by the wonders of telly?

When I was a kid my parents bought our first telly. Dad borrowed a heavy wooden ladder from a mate two streets away and staggered back home with it. Once he got onto the roof he hauled up the giant H aerial and clamped it to the chimney stack, lowered the cable over the side of the roof where mum caught it and dragged the end through a gap dad had cut in the window frame. Plugged into the telly and shouted instructions until the aerial was pointing the right way and dad tightened the clamps. Job done he came down, staggered off with the ladder and came back for a well earned cuppa and a chance to watch some telly. Just got sat down and looked around saying "Where are my glasses?".

• RMweb Premium

On Tuesday I travelled from So'ton to Potters Bar via Waterloo & KX inadvertantly using the return half of my ticket, which was (a) inspected by the conductor and marked with biro without question, and (B) happily worked all the station and LT barriers in the wrong direction. I didn't yield to the temptation to use the OUT half on the way back though. I do think this has implications for revenue protection though.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

A few

Cold water for tea - a few times.

Tried to open the house with the car keyfob

Woke up with a start one morning alarm failed to go off, woke up the children for school, my wife said it was Saturday.

On A30 took wrong turning looking for BP Whitehouse (nice big services) and ended up in a dead end, had to do a 20 point turn or it felt like, in a tight spot, with a caravan on the back.

Worst one ever was.

My car was burning oil, I replace the valve seals (all 24), reassembled the engine, right bank sounded like a box of spanners. I had fitted the head gasket upside down (I was suffering with the heat) and blocked the oil way. That was a gasket and 8 stretch bolts wasted, local dealer had gone bump, drove around for a few weeks with the used gasket which did not leak (phew).

Right bank is a pain as you cannot remove it without unbolting a large pipe from the back of the engine, half hour 2 bolts, unless left bank removed.

My boss once wiped the server drive - backups had failed, I had to recover source with a decompiler and old source.

Another one of someone else doing something daft. No, I never do anything daft. I have never, repeat, never unwrapped a meat pie, thrown the wrapper in the microwave and the pie in the bin. You must be thinking of someone else.

I heard a story some years ago about a commuter on a train in the days of non-gangwayed, slam-door, suburban stock. He was a regular traveller with regular habits. He used to get on the train in the same compartment every evening, sit in the same seat and promptly fall asleep. Then when his train lurched to a stop at his station, he would wake with a start, get up, retrieve his briefcase from the luggage rack and disembark. This went on for years until, one evening, the train got stopped by signals just outside the station. Yes, he woke up with a start, retrieved his briefcase from the luggage rack, threw the door open and promptly fell out onto the tracks. Well, the other passengers helped him back in, and as he stood there red-faced and embarrassed, he said, 'Oh dear. Seem to have come into a different platform tonight.' - and before they could stop him, he scuttled across the compartment, threw open the door and fell out the other side.

Possibly apocryphal, I don't know, but it does make a lovely picture.

On Tuesday I travelled from So'ton to Potters Bar via Waterloo & KX inadvertantly using the return half of my ticket, which was (a) inspected by the conductor and marked with biro without question, and ( B) happily worked all the station and LT barriers in the wrong direction. I didn't yield to the temptation to use the OUT half on the way back though. I do think this has implications for revenue protection though.

Pete

Ever had your ticket 'inspected' at New Street? I've been happily let through showing out-dated tickets, card receipts, a railcard, even an empty hand... And to think these people are being paid!

(Have always had a valid ticket, I'll add, it's just a bit of fun to liven up the journey :) )

On programmes such as CSI, they put wet mobiles in a pot of uncooked rice, and let that absorb any remaining moisture. Anyone know if that actually works, or is it another urban myth made hard fact by the wonders of telly?

I'll let you know in a couple of days time, mine has been sat in a pot for a week after it did a swan-dive (all on it's own) into my coffee mug

Seems to be drying it will let you know in a few days.

Ever had your ticket 'inspected' at New Street? I've been happily let through showing out-dated tickets, card receipts, a railcard, even an empty hand... And to think these people are being paid!

(Have always had a valid ticket, I'll add, it's just a bit of fun to liven up the journey :) )

Sounds a bit like Edinburgh Waverley many years ago. I commuted into Waverley and had a monthly pass. Went to Newcastle (to see the annual show) and popped the return part of the ticket into the holder where I had my pass. It was only when I came to renew the pass that I realised that I had been waved through the barrier for a couple of weeks on the strength of my Newcastle ticket...

But, in fairness, in those days it was usually the same staff on the barriers every day and they did seem to get to know the regulars.

• RMweb Premium

Don't remember when the last time might have been, but I, too, have thrown freshly bought foodstuffs into the bin and kept the wrappers.

One night, I was cooking dinner and when I was putting salt to the meat, I forgot I had taken off the lid from the salt shaker after having refilled it to the top moments before. Resulted in my having to improvise something different entirely for that dinner.

I also well remember that very warm summer night years ago when, half asleep, I was heading for the fridge to get something to drink. I thought I had grabbed a bottle of apple juice, but ask me how I found out it had been the (identically shaped) cider bottle.

• RMweb Premium

I have just returned early from a 'do' having dressed in my best bib and tucker. The ticket said 'start 7 pm'. I turned up at 7 pm to find the venue in darkness and not a soul around, after waiting around for about 15 minutes I decided to return home. I have just checked my ticket and have noticed that the date on it is Thursday 13 th December! :fool: :banghead:

I have just returned early from a 'do' having dressed in my best bib and tucker. The ticket said 'start 7 pm'. I turned up at 7 pm to find the venue in darkness and not a soul around, after waiting around for about 15 minutes I decided to return home. I have just checked my ticket and have noticed that the date on it is Thursday 13 th December! :fool: :banghead:

On the plus side, you know your suit fits, the mothball smell has gone, and you know you can get there on time,

At least you didn't take the instruction "smart dress essential" too literally, and turn up in a little black number.

I turned up at work with no trousers once...

well, I used to cycle in, with my smart trousers in my bag (usually). Got into the office, looked in the bag, and said out loud to no-one in particular "oh no, I've forgotten my trousers".

• RMweb Premium

Travelling to work one day on a HST, I was leaning against the wall of the carriage as it pulls into Temple Meads as I wanted to make a quick departure. As the train jolts to a stop, the wall I'm leaning on mysteriously stops being a wall and morphs into the toilet door and opens, at which point the momentum of the train carries me, now completely off balance into said toilet cubicle where I proceed to get up close and personal with the fittings, collapsing in a heap on the floor.

As a kind bystander helps extract me from said toilet I can't help but notice an awful lot of sniggering from the other assembled commuters...

• RMweb Premium

It probably depends on the nature of what liquid it decided to take a swim in. For mostly clean water, the rice will probably work fine. For stuff like Coke, you really need to dilute the liquid as much as possible before it sets, otherwise the residue syrup WILL corrode the circuit board.

• RMweb Gold

I used to get a late train from Pad back to Reading after working in the college bar. Woken up by the cleaners at Oxford carriage sidings one night. Thumbed a lift back to Reading got indoors about 6:30 and into bed without waking anyone. Fiften minutes later Dad woke me with a cup of tea.

Don

Came in from Sainsbury's this evening with a carrier bag full of food to see me through the weekend. Got in to find a carrier bag full of rubbish in the house that I'd been meaning to take out and put in the bin, so I did, or so I thought.... Came back in to find the carrier bag of rubbish still waiting for me!

• RMweb Premium

My aunt lives in Livorno in Italy. A few years ago I went to visit her by train. My dad worked for BR so I had a FIP card for reduced travel abroad and on Eurostar, and also travel coupons for various countries. I decided, rather than heading straight to Italy, I'd get an early Eurostar to Brussels, spend the day in Belgium, get the train to Paris, then board the sleeper there for the journey down to Italy. Passing through the Channel Tunnel, I thought I'd get the travel coupon for Belgium out and write the date in it. Ah, no coupon. No coupons for France or Italy either. Or the sleeper tickets!

Luckily the train stopped at Lille, so I bailed out there, ran upstairs to the ticket office and bought a single back to Waterloo. Fortunately I didn't have too long to wait for the next train. Once back in England I phoned home to tell my parents about my mistake and that I was coming home. My mum met me at Stevenage station with the remaining tickets, as well as a sandwich! I jumped on the next train back to King's Cross, tube to Waterloo, bought a single to Paris and made the sleeper to Italy with 20 minutes to spare. Phew!

Three trips through the Channel Tunnel in one day is not fun, especially as it was before the high speed route in Kent opened. Zzzzzz...... Still, had power car 3999 for haulage on one of the trips!

Archived