An interview with Simon Kohler

Andy Y

Guest jim s-w

Would have been nice to get some response from Hornby's side rather than just opinions from modellers though wouldnt it? As you say the discussion has been arround a while. Might have put it to bed.

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Nice one Andy. A couple of years back I wonder if you thought you'd be interviewing Mr K in this way? Some doors open in life that give wonderful opportunities mate. May 2013 prove to be another great year for you, the hobby, BRM and us lot out here.

I for one am going to enjoy hearing what Hornby have given us for Christmas this year.

Sincerely P @ 36E

Interesting interview Andy.

Obviously the thing you didn't explore, as it's irrelevant to most here and I don't think it's Simon Kohler's responsibility in any case, was the future plans for Hornby's European brands. I'm naturally most interested in Hornby-Jouef but there are still some odd anomalies in Hornby International with most older French autorails (railcars and DMUs) coming under the Spanish Electrotren brand.

The actual number of SNCF loco types is more limited than it was with the "old" Jouef and seems to be based on just four basic diesel and three steam locos, the 141R with many variations, the 141P and the Est 150C (an odd choice at first glance as it was geographically limited but the same basic loco is in the Rivarossi range as a German G12) They also list in their Junior line a "generic" industrial/light railway 060 tank loco which also appears with different liveries in the Electrotren range. I'm slightly surprised that they haven't reintroduced the 141TA as in its final form the Jouef model was excellent and an updated 040TA would be very welcome but I think French modellers are generally less interested in steam.

'The design clever' element of the products sounds interesting,reference is made to the Push Pull Maunsell set, which appears to be spun off from the SR Maunsell Coaches, does this also cover the GWR tanks?

Does it mean high levels of detail, without increasing the number of separate components? IRC Coachman suggested a while back the Gresley Corridor Coaches had significantly more parts than the recent Suburban LNER coaches.

I find the Hornby range generally less finely detailed than Bachmann (but with honourable exceptions such as the Hawksworths, the illuminated Pullmans and the Van C) but does that make them less accurate? Even inaccurate? We can level accusations of inaccuracy at all the manufacturers at times.

That's a bit of a grudging list, isn't it? I thought pretty much everyone agreed that all Hornby's recent pre-Nationalisation coaching stock (ie, after the Gresley corridors) has been rather lovely. The two (sic!) current ranges of non-corridor stock are delightful, too.

And then there's all those engines, from L1 to Schools to B17. They don't strike me as being obviously inferior (in terms of fine detail) to any equivalent Bachmann product.

Comparing Hornby's A4 with Bachmann's... well, most seem to favour Hornby's model for being more finely detailed. Ditto the B1. And it's not just steam, because ditto the Class 08 shunter. I could, of course, have made a list where Bachmann was more detailed (Blue Pullman versus Brighton Belle, maybe?), but the point I am trying to make is that the overall picture about who produces the finest models is much more nuanced than you seem to suggest.

And the disappointments come from both manufacturers, too: Hornby's VEP was, for me, too compromised (unlike Bachmann's delightful EPB). But Bachmann's warmed-over V2 was also a big disappointment: how I wish Hornby had grabbed the chance to give us a brand-new model up to their current standards.

Paul

Edit: I missed out the key words "coaching stock". Difficult day...

...Hornby is in a unique position in having to satisfy the expectations of the “Train Set” and “modeller” markets....

The explicit references to the modeller market, with volumes scaled to meet anticipated demand and achieve sell out caught my eye. I read that as the acknowledgement that they are in a straight head to head with the other RTR modeller oriented players for a significant proportion of their business results; and no longer train set market first by a long way, followed by product that is modeller oriented. If that's a correct reading, then hopefully we will see the customer engagement shifting to match.

You also have to question the effect upon the business sector of such things as the apparent failure and withdrawal from the market of the Lyddle End range...

Or was that a relatively low cost toe in the water to see whether the Hornby name has the same potency in N? They must have some N capability amongst their contractors for the Arnold product line; and what would be more natural than looking to see if there was an opportunity to grow the market in UK N. If the sales had proved bouyant they could have followed up with further already researched items from their OO range not currently available in N.

If the sales had proved bouyant they could have followed up with further already researched items from their OO range not currently available in N.

I think that's a well-reasoned assessment above Paul, Hornby have never shown any public inclination toward UK-outline N appreciating that the market is sufficiently well catered for at present and it's possibly that the much lower sales volume (per line) does not match their development and production models which is geared up toward much larger runs. After all it's very rare to see Hornby in the commissioned limited production market, a recent exception being Hornby Mag's B17 which has, I believe, Hornby's lowest livery run at 750 models (as opposed to Bachmann's regular production of 512 items in a livery) and Dapol with the capability to produce lower volumes still. 750 models of one line in N is quite high whereas it's the lowest we've seen Hornby do (certainly for a commission).

I for one am going to enjoy hearing what Hornby have given us for Christmas this year.

I am rarely disappointed by any of the "annual announcements". Even the occasional delay is a relief to the hard-pressed piggy-bank.

In the Southern/ex-LSWR surprise queue might well be one or more of: S15, Adams Radial, pre-gouping carriage stock, station buildings, plus further livery alternatives to the existing range. A "King Arthur" in full Southern fig would surely do as well as the superb Wainwright C.

PB

I have great respect for Simon Kohler, he is often found to be between a rock and a hard place, especially as he is usually the human face of Hornby at exhibitions. I spoke to him at the Swindon Great Western festival and found him to be very patient and gracious. When I made a suggestion about a possible future release, he responded kindly, and in hindsight I'm sure that he must have heard that same suggestion many, many times! I also sense that he feels as frustrated as some of us about the delays to releases etc - that he continues to perform his job demonstrates his passion and commitment to Hornby and to giving us what we as modellers want.

Cheers Andy, and Simon, and here's looking forward to Decemeber 17th and the New Year, and Merry Christmas to you both!

Linners

I am rarely disappointed by any of the "annual announcements". Even the occasional delay is a relief to the hard-pressed piggy-bank.

In the Southern/ex-LSWR surprise queue might well be one or more of: S15, Adams Radial, pre-gouping carriage stock, station buildings, plus further livery alternatives to the existing range. A "King Arthur" in full Southern fig would surely do as well as the superb Wainwright C.

PB

I feel just the same. It's a fact that no one can get exactly what they want. I learnt to be happy with whats out there. Some people get furious and caught up with the smallest of detail eerrors and colours, why can't they try producing something of that standard then? :scratchhead: Be it lettering or small handrails it's a model and nothing is 100% correct anyway. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Anyone who finds faults must be having the most faults within :mosking:

Guest jim s-w

Well thats just silly Jeremiah.

For may people improving the models or making them personal is the point of the hobby. There are some models that are so bad that they are unfixable but for many that do find fault they will still buy the models regardless. In my recent case I have brought Hornby AND lima 31s to get the results I want.

Its why we are called modellers and not shoppers. As for the point raised by Linners, I have never understood the clammering for things to be delivered on time. I mean its a hobby, I don't know anyone who approaches it in a industrial 'just in time delivery' kind of way. If a model is late theres plenty of other stuff to be getting on with, I don't imagine theres people sitting at home, their hobby on hold, until the postie turns up with that oh so essential latest release.

Cheers

Jim

As someone with a double interest in Hornby. (i) as a modeller and (ii) as a share holder the following are my personal views.

Hornby have a very competitive market as there are others producing items a quality and price levels suitable for us. Compared to most mainland European items in the UK are still cheap in comparison - I recently looked at HO scale items in shop windows in Germany & France priced at more than twice what you'd pay in the UK for similar items.

All businesses make a few odd commercial mistakes and when at one of the trade shows I saw the Olympic items it was decided it just wouldn't sell. We all learn, let's move onto the next big winner.

I feel there should be more of a cross promotion of some of the Corgi products to the model railway folks. Many items in the OOC & Trackside ranges would be best done in generic liveries that could sell in the bucket load.

Essentially I'm happy with what he has had to say Like his reference to yet another 'wish list' thread on here!

• Administrators

Here's a cracking competition for you.

In the January 2013 issue of BRM (which goes on-sale in shops on Thursday, Dec 13th) Tony Wright reviews the new Hornby B17. For a chance of winning a brand new Hornby B17, enter our great competition on Model-Railways-Live: https://www.model-ra...ass_locomotive/

post-14186-0-12321000-1355221159_thumb.jpg

Just to add my thanks to Andy for the interview. I'll be waiting by my inbox come September 17th as I can't afford to go Bachmann for all my rolling stock etc - the few railroad locos that I do have work well and I'm happy with them.

I wish I'd known that you were doing this interview, I would have got you to ask SK where my Class 08 in BR Blue with DCC for £50 is at the moment - I've been after it since June and the "supplier issues" have meant that it still isn't in stock... :(

Matt

I do hope that the 2013 range of Hornby's isn't just whatever was delayed from this year, as personally I will be disappointed if that happens. And in my opinion with the past few years of Hornby, is that I never find any diesel locomotives in defunct liveries, like in Virgin Trains, EWS, Midland Mainline etc. I know they want to keep up to date with modern companies and so on, but I bet there is many modellers who want next year to be full of older liveries of locomotives, like steam, diesel and electric.

I hope I find unexpected locomotives, and locomotives that hasn't been around in years or never been made by Hornby before

• RMweb Premium

Liveries pose a vexed question for manufacturers these days. Gone are the days when you could have relied upon announcing something in green. maroon or blue and it would still look like the real thing 2 - 3 years later.

Things change so fast and individual locomotives often carry unique variations as they are partially redecalled or have outdated logos (but not the livery) obliterated. Who can tell what will arise next? Hornby announce perhaps a swag of current 2012 liveries only to find thy are obsolete by the time the product comes to market and there is slower demand as a result yet we are crying out for the very latest thing.

It takes time to licence and reproduce the liveries at any time and probably more so with modern day complexities.

And those are not issues unique to Hornby either.

I do hope that the 2013 range of Hornby's isn't just whatever was delayed from this year, as personally I will be disappointed if that happens. And in my opinion with the past few years of Hornby, is that I never find any diesel locomotives in defunct liveries, like in Virgin Trains, EWS, Midland Mainline etc. I know they want to keep up to date with modern companies and so on, but I bet there is many modellers who want next year to be full of older liveries of locomotives, like steam, diesel and electric.

I hope I find unexpected locomotives, and locomotives that hasn't been around in years or never been made by Hornby before

Heh, and here's me hoping that they release more in the GBRf livery - 20901 for example - because I'm trying to model 2011 onwards... :)

Coming back to the problem of supply it is not just a problem of the Chinese factory not meeting the order. Sometimes Hornby did not order enough items in the first place. A prime example is the BR Pull-Push coach back. My nearest shop is on a heritage railway that operated M7s with Pull-Push sets in BR days. The shop never received any R4534 Hornby Pull-Push coach sets. At least two people eventually bought the R3087 Pull-Push train packs. They already had several M7s but were so desperate to run a Maunsell Pull-Push set that they paid the extra £130 to buy a locomotive they already had as well. They saw no prospect of getting the R4534A train pack this year. I pre-ordered one expecting it in November. Now I see it has been put back until June 2013. That is why I am not very excited about Hornby's announcemet of new models on December 17th. I doubt if we will see any of the new models until 2014.

No. I expect some of the new models will come out before I get my R4534A Maunsell Pull-Push coach pack. I have just reveived LNER B17 Sandringham that I ordered about 2 years ago. This is an exellent model as are the Gresley coaches. They would have to be good models for me to buy them because I am modelling a Southern layout but I cannot resist a good model! Hornby have also made some excellent Maunsell coaches that are much better than the Bachmann Bulleid coaches.

I expect some of the new models will come out before I get my R4534A Maunsell Pull-Push coach pack.

Possibly so but that does illustrate that a stated perception once challenged is quickly re-assessed. I have to say you've come across, so far, as very forthright with views which are likely to become unfounded.

Guest Belgian

It's a fact that no one can get exactly what they want. I learnt to be happy with whats out there. Some people get furious and caught up with the smallest of detail eerrors and colours, why can't they try producing something of that standard then? :scratchhead: Be it lettering or small handrails it's a model and nothing is 100% correct anyway. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Anyone who finds faults must be having the most faults within :mosking:

I'm sorry, but I disagree. Few people get 'furious' about perceived errors, most are just trying to point them out in the hope that they will not be repeated or will be corrected on future releases. Exasperated: yes. Almost none of them would claim to be able to produce something of that standard, but they try to add to the debate. If no-one had made comment on the models of 20 years or more ago, do you really think we would have the wonderful models that are available to us today.

Your final comment is insulting to those who strive to improve the hobby.

JE

Archived