New Southwich

Grimleygrid

All looking very good.

I think it's a cabinet that's laying broken up in between the tracks. might be as well to paint and weather it and set it in place like that, as I think it looks very realistic.

Plenty of depressed PCA's there too, how many have you got?

I saw an as new Castle Cement bogie tank in my local shop for £20 the other day, nearly bought it, glad I didn't as they only came out sometime much later than my layout!!

Jinty ;-)

All looking very good.I think it's a cabinet that's laying broken up in between the tracks. might be as well to paint and weather it and set it in place like that, as I think it looks very realistic.Plenty of depressed PCA's there too, how many have you got?I saw an as new Castle Cement bogie tank in my local shop for £20 the other day, nearly bought it, glad I didn't as they only came out sometime much later than my layout!!Jinty ;-)

Evening Jinty!

It's a relay box that I just took out of the box and haven't made up yet! Need to make it over the next few days! I think I've got 24 PCAs and 5 bogie tanks, you should've they're a lovely model!

Thanks,

Will

The layouts really looking good. Your stock is very nice. Im still concerned about the mainline track spacing though. The tracks still look a bit far apart.

Thanks Cav! Measured centre to centre and it's just under 60mm, which was as suggested by my dads spacing template. Something to learn from in the future!

Afternoon all,

Ultimately the majority of the blame has to lie with me, 

Will

You've got a chance to blame someone else, why aren't you using it  :jester:

And in my eyes, it does look slightly too wide, but I've only noticed it now others have mentioned it and I had to scroll back up for another look 

Afternoon all,

Ultimately the majority of the blame has to lie with me, I should have just measured the track before ballasting, something to learn from in future projects! I hope to ballast some of the scenic board this afternoon, just a quick pic of the ballast "plonked down":

16634191165_5db6414fd3_z.jpg56302 by southwichrailway, on Flickr

Many thanks,

Will

Will, have you tried using a ballaster, like the one made by Green Scene (and others)? I bought one a little while ago. It really does speed up ballasting plain track and it does a neat job too. I wouldn't be without it now.

Cheers

Dave

Will, have you tried using a ballaster, like the one made by Green Scene (and others)? I bought one a little while ago. It really does speed up ballasting plain track and it does a neat job too. I wouldn't be without it now.

Cheers

Dave

I haven't no, I probably should have a look thanks for the suggestion! Going to order some static grass from there as well whilst I have a look!

Thanks,

Will

I haven't no, I probably should have a look thanks for the suggestion! Going to order some static grass from there as well whilst I have a look!

Thanks,

Will

I use Green Scene static grasses almost exclusively, with a little Anita Decor for variation. Green Scene have the most realistic colouring IMHO and I spent quite a while making up my mind which to go for. Many are just too bright and garish. 

There's nothing wrong with that ballasting by the way! I like my ballast pretty much level with the top of the sleeper just like you've done.

Another project on the "to do list" includes a container, or possibly two, to be placed by the hillside. I've been experimenting on a few containers with a range of different techniques and overall I'm quite happy with the results for my first ever attempt at weathering. Whilst up close it isn't particularly easy on the eye, from the edge of the layout it looks quite good. I've ordered a C Line kit which should be here over the next few days to definitely use on the layout. Any feedback or tips are much appreciated!

16015185694_f93edc1184_z.jpgExperimental container weathering by southwichrailway, on Flickr

16450089390_e64e04f4b6_z.jpgExperimental container weathering by southwichrailway, on Flickr

16636476802_1d3f45ac78_z.jpgExperimental container weathering by southwichrailway, on Flickr

Thanks,

Will

Evening all!

Thanks WCML I was pleasantly surprised with the way it turned out!

Tonight I have continued with the container weathering but no real photos to show from it. I've also got out 60091 and given it a little spin out on New Southwich:

16027288243_33eec79eb3_z.jpg60091 passes New Southwich by southwichrailway, on Flickr

16621276326_096394684e_z.jpg60091 passes New Southwich by southwichrailway, on Flickr

16621275966_7493573fe7_z.jpg60091 passes New Southwich by southwichrailway, on Flickr

16459619768_55fda47077_z.jpg60091 passes New Southwich by southwichrailway, on Flickr

16024897074_7b336b017f_z.jpg60018 leaves New Southwich by southwichrailway, on Flickr

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Will

Evening all,

Tonight I've done a little more work on the containers, painting a second coat on the China Shipping container patch work and washes of black over the grey ex Maersk one and the green China Shipping. I've also taken more photos of the ballasting.

16034190664_c75962e9ab_z.jpg47818 by southwichrailway, on Flickr

16036601123_2e5b7ff44b_z.jpg47818 by southwichrailway, on Flickr

16655474512_9d6239fe32_z.jpg"No fly tipping" by southwichrailway, on Flickr

16449208277_88dfe74219_z.jpg"No fly tipping" by southwichrailway, on Flickr

16036598513_9b9261e549_z.jpg"No fly tipping" by southwichrailway, on Flickr

16630553696_856a17155a_z.jpgBallasting at New Southwich by southwichrailway, on Flickr

16036584133_d375b7e44c_z.jpg66135 at New Southwich by southwichrailway, on Flickr

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Will

Archived