Model Rail 178 February 2013

dibber25

UK subscribers should get theirs before Christmas (but if you don't, please don't post about it until the New Year, as I won't be in a position to help. I plan to have a break!).

All the Hornby 2013 news and the background to what's happening - and a round-up of new items announced or launched at Warley.

Check out our latest limited editions and place a pre-order, plus there's a new batch of four Sentinels coming in 2013 - find out which new liveries we've chosen.

Reviews include the Hornby 'B17' 4-6-0 and 'O1' 2-8-0 - probably the first time we've had two new Hornby locos in a month.

Also the lovely Bachmann 'C' class 0-6-0, the LMS Compound 4-4-0 and the Graham Farish 'N' Blue Pullman and the Dapol 'N' Class 27. In fact SEVENTEEN pages of reviews!

Layouts:

Horseley Fields - modern image 'N' gauge

Brinkley 'P4' Midland loco shed

Brucklay 'EM' green diesel era.

Masterplan: The final instalment of Paul Lunn's 6x4 designs, and something VERY different.

Workbench:

Masking models

DRS Class 37/6

LMS 40ton coal hoppers

Baseboards without wood

All the regulars including Q&A, Exhibition Diary and Backscene.

CHRIS LEIGH

Looking forward to seeing Horseley Fields, and the DRS Class 37/6; I have a picture of 37612 at Llandudno Junction which I'd love to do in N gauge... but I assume it'll be a OO project?

David

Yes, its 'OO' but I guess there might be some info in it that's not gauge specific.

Has the timing become unsynch'ed??? Getting the February issue mid way through December seems a bit odd ...

... although its a good mag, so you can call it the Geraldine Issue provided the quality of the content stays high ;)

Guest 838rapid

I personally would like to wish Chris and the other members of Model Rail a pleasent Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

Enjoy your break,you deserve it..

I am looking forward to the next edition as it will fill my Xmas break,with little on TV to distract me.

I personally would like to wish Chris and the other members of Model Rail a pleasent Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

Enjoy your break,you deserve it..

I am looking forward to the next edition as it will fill my Xmas break,with little on TV to distract me.

And we'd all, on Model Rail, like to wish RMweb readers a Happy Christmas and all the best for 2013. We've had a hectic time recently, particularly with the number of new models to review and that looks set to continue into the New Year. In fact there's something I'm looking forward to reviewing in a few weeks time, that hasn't even been announced yet!

CHRIS LEIGH

And we'd all, on Model Rail, like to wish RMweb readers a Happy Christmas and all the best for 2013.

Thank you Chris and the seasonal greeting is reciprocated from this end to you, Ben, Chris N, Richard, Pete and George too.

I'm sure everyone will get to enjoy a few days break though with the changes in announcement date.

• RMweb Premium

.......... I'm looking forward to reviewing in a few weeks time, that hasn't even been announced yet!

CHRIS LEIGH

OMG - I can't cope!!!! - I'm still waiting for 2012 (or was it 2011 models :-)

Merry Christmas Andy Y and everyone else here :)

Subs copies are starting to appear... here's what to look at for..

Excellent 'photos as ever Chris.

I would also like to echo the Merry Christmas sentiments above to everyone at Model Rail and Andy Y and the guys at RMWeb. Thanks for great printed and web based products!

hmm well .... I'd best say no more, the post folk are clearly very busy at this time of year.

Yep, say no more. I hope they have all gone out.

It probably wasn't the greatest of 'come ons' posting that subs copies should be with subscribers before Xmas, especially for something that ended up in shops well before . . . . .

G.

Yep, say no more. I hope they have all gone out.

It probably wasn't the greatest of 'come ons' posting that subs copies should be with subscribers before Xmas, especially for something that ended up in shops well before . . . . .

G.

They've all gone out. If they're in the shops, the subs copies will be in the post...........somewhere.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

Hello all and Merry Xmas to all,

I just wanted to say on behalf of the NGS Northants and Cambs Area group a big "thanks" for the feature on our club layout Horseley Fields.

Obviously not all the photos were used, and Chris Nevard has kindly given me permission to add some more to our "Horseley Fields" thread. I am doing this, though the recent software update means I am having to do it in stages!

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Assuming the sleigh hasn't broken down on the ring road ... ;)

I think the one headed in my direction has, or the reindeer have gone lame (or the Postie who was keen on 'Model Railroader' has found a different taste in reading matter!). Anyway no need to panic it will probably arrive eventually.

And it did - later today

I just read this and agreed in disappointment as my copy hasn't arrived. Would you believe 2 minutes later the Postie knocked on the door with it, along with my copy of 'freight train formations' ordered from Amazon on Thursday!! Post seems to be working just fine and dandy here then.

Hello all and Merry Xmas to all,

I just wanted to say on behalf of the NGS Northants and Cambs Area group a big "thanks" for the feature on our club layout Horseley Fields.

Obviously not all the photos were used, and Chris Nevard has kindly given me permission to add some more to our "Horseley Fields" thread. I am doing this, though the recent software update means I am having to do it in stages!

cheers

Ben A.

I think, for those who have the iPad version of Model Rail 178, there's a gallery of extra pictures, too. One of the extras you get with the on-line subscription.

CHRIS LEIGH

Why does the picture of Brinkley in post #11 look more like an electronicly drawn picture rather than a photo of a model?

Too much Photoshopping I think!

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

It's Christmas so I won't take offence :umbrage:. As a member of the Brinkley team I can assure Steven that the photoshopping of this picture consists solely of the smoke emanating from my Patriot and the sky background which are Chris's trademarks - the rest of the picture is authentic!

Robin

Archived