Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

I recall seeing a Sentinel in a china clay depot next to the mainline near St Austell this summer. Does any one know who it belongs to and what livery it carries underneath all of that clay dust?

That is Denise she stored at burngullow still in the orange livery at the moment had same graffiti add aswell as far as I no she belong to imerys

Exactly the same as me Richard I am going to buy and re spray for my 'Nangullow' China Clay dry. I would be interested to know what Orange you intend to use.

Not sure what orange to use really got some picture of her in a clean stat so shall hopefully get it something like it from that got some loadhaul orange to start from

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Missed it!

None left in stock by the time I finished work and go to my local model shop...

Sad to see that some people are going to instantly repaint the nice blue NCB one into orange!

Look guys - leave the blue one to those who want one and wait for the red/orange one to repaint - it will ne a lot easier.

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi all,

Missed it!

None left in stock by the time I finished work and go to my local model shop...

Sad to see that some people are going to instantly repaint the nice blue NCB one into orange!

Look guys - leave the blue one to those who want one and wait for the red/orange one to repaint - it will ne a lot easier.

Thanks

Santa arrived in South Lanarkshire and a blue one which will remain blue is in my sticky mitts. already fitted Smiths 3 link to one end. The other will have a Kadee for hands free shunting. looks very bonny.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Uploading a review of the ESSO one onto YouTube very soon, sadly mine has lost a windscreen wiper. What glue should I use to re attach it? As I have had not much luck with glues in the past, frosting my models. :scratchhead: 

you could try a microscale, Kristal klear, or a drop of pva and Deluxe Materials make a clear non frosting glue, can't remember the name though

Edited by cnw6847

you could try a microscale, crystal klear, or a drop of pva and Deluxe Materials make a clear non frosting glue, can't remember the name though

Thank you ever so much Richard, but it will be very fiddly. Will see what the shop say, if not I will give it a go with PVA. Would that be strong enough though, with the tiny amount I plan to use?

Uploading a review of the ESSO one onto YouTube very soon, sadly mine has lost a windscreen wiper. What glue should I use to re attach it? As I have had not much luck with glues in the past, frosting my models. :scratchhead: 

low-bloom super glue should do just fine, if used sparingly. It's about £6 a bottle but its very useful stuff. 

Paul A. 

low-bloom super glue should do just fine, if used sparingly. It's about £6 a bottle but its very useful stuff. 

Paul A. 

Thanks Paul, it is an extremely small part though, plus it a very hard to position place, so will see what the shop say first. What type of glue is low-bloom?

We here it is, my review of the ESSO version. Sorry, if I stutter or get my facts wrong in a few places :jester: . Running clips at the end (was not run in or tracks cleaned before hand). Hope you enjoy and give you a rough idea of the running capabilities of the model. :locomotive: 

• Like 2

Hello there !

Hello 'SDJR7F88' thank you very much for your efforts.

A very nice surprise at Christmas !

Your video gives a very good impression of the Hornby Sentinel.  :good:

May I ask you what for a funny hat you were wearing in the first part of your video ? :pardon:

Thanks also to 'richard37760' for the pictures of the blue version of that nice model.  :clapping:

So I am looking forward to get mine then.

Best wishes and a pleasant Christmas

Dirk

Edited by hespertalbahn

Hello there !

Hello 'SDJR7F88' thank you very much for your efforts.

A very nice surprise at Christmas !

Your video gives a very good impression of the Hornby Sentinel.  :good:

May I ask you what for a funny hat you were wearing in the first part of your video ? :pardon:

Thanks also to 'richard37760' for the pictures of the blue version of that nice model.  :clapping:

So I am looking forward to get mine then.

Best wishes and a pleasant Christmas

Dirk

Doh! Forgot totally about the hat! Oh, well! :jester:  Glad you enjoyed the review and little run at the end! A stunning model! Shame about the wiper on mine, hope to get it replaced, don't seem to be having very much luck with new models this year (all new one have been fault or fall apart)! Sure yours won't though. :jester:

I have just heard from my father that the sentinel is reviewed in latest issue of Rail Express magazine that the model has a coloured unpainted body shell with printing on it and their sample has a bad colour match to the chassis which is painted. I have not read article yet to confirm any other detail but if this is true this is a real step back in quality and worrying return to techniques  from the 70s! Not what we would expect on a loco in Hornby's main range in 2013.

Judging by the photos posted here there does not appear a colour match issue - are the bodies unpainted?

Judging by the photos posted here there does not appear a colour match issue - are the bodies unpainted?

I can't tell from the photos of the blue one above, but in the video kindly posted by SDJR7F88, the red one looks like the body is made of cheap coloured plastic.

I don't know if that's just the video, as he says it looks good in the flesh.

Self coloured plastic is really a backward step if done badly. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen one myself.

A bit gutted that I didn't ask 'santa' for one of these - the more I see, the more I like it , and its really great the axleboxes were corrected.

I think a coat of Kleer would do wonders for the esso liveried ones if they are indeed colored plastic, and some nice laser cut glazing from a certain 'Extreme Etcher' would be lovely too

I look forward to seeing one turned into 'Denise'  - do show us some pictures richard37670 :)

regards

Jon