Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

I can't tell from the photos of the blue one above, but in the video kindly posted by SDJR7F88, the red one looks like the body is made of cheap coloured plastic.

I don't know if that's just the video, as he says it looks good in the flesh.

Self coloured plastic is really a backward step if done badly. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen one myself.

Trust me, it looks extremely good in the flesh! It is just the camera and lighting which make it look bad in my video.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you ever so much Richard, but it will be very fiddly. Will see what the shop say, if not I will give it a go with PVA. Would that be strong enough though, with the tiny amount I plan to use?

should be strong enough, let it dry thoroughly before handling though.

should be strong enough, let it dry thoroughly before handling though.

Of course, that is the best option at the moment after having the shop look at it and see what they say. They have a spare one in the shop, as the know I have rotten luck when it comes to all of my new locos this year! :jester: Nearly all are second model and one (Bachmann 9F 92233) is the 4th replacement! :jester: I'm sure hope that one works, as I have yet to test her!

The Cattewater one looks quite realistically pink in some of those stills!

I have to say it looks rather better than I anticipated from the earlier pre- production photos. Will have to have a look at them, although they don't fit in at all with my layout I'd rather like one a.) to support the fact that someone has actually bought out a reasonable attempt at a true industrial loco in RTR 00, and b.) I spent a happy three years in Plymouth a couple of years back, including exploring a little bit of the remains of the Cattewater branch.

• RMweb Gold

I don't know about this one, i wait until i see one in the flesh.

When you see one Darren you'll be totally smitten I can assure you.

The blue 'NCB' does look particularly nice! ;)

Should I be looking at the Red one for my 80's layout? I thought I read that it was based on a preserved loco. 

Don't think so, all that Cattewater Esso Bitumen text is its ownership detail from the nineties.  There was a thread dedicated to it and the branch traffic on here about 9 months ago.

How thick is the plastic on that side panel ? I am thinking of cutting it off as some of the Sentinels did not have it and I think they look better without it. I intend to respray the whole thing in black or dark grey.

Yes, those front windows look a bit dodgy !

Edited by brian777999

Thanks for all the photos, but that glazing looks atrocious.

No problem! Yes, the glazing is a bit crude, but I hardly notice it when it on the move. Just hope I can re-attach the wiper with out damaging her (or spilling glue). :scratchhead:  

I don't believe it carried the name in it's working days, although I could be wrong- so it probably is technically "as preserved".

The thread on here discussing the Cattewater branch & bitumen terminal can be found here.

As for the windows, they aren't exactly great & hopefully someone will come up with a better alternative but on a loco selling around the £50 mark I can live with that. Just because something is small, it doesn't make it cheaper to make, and at today's prices this is well into "budget" territory.

Running my Blue version  on the rolling road as I type. Using an old Hornby 3 position controller which is not brilliant. Ran well at full speed and soon quietened down , was great at the middle setting and very quiet, then I set it on the lowest setting and thought it had stopped. On closer inspection it was turning over very slowly and exceedingly quietly and only the slight rocking gave it away. That is quite impressive . Haven't opened it up yet to fit a decoder(X9659) so can't be 100% sure if its self coloured plastic. If it is then that in itself is impressive. Windows, they look better in real life than on the photos possibly because of reflected light. The plastic on the side panels is very thin, thinnest I have seen on a model so that is well done.Have to say so far an amazing little loco especially for the £45 I paid. Hornby can certainly shut up some of their critics if other models come out to this standard.

• Like 1

Haven't opened it up yet to fit a decoder(X9659) so can't be 100% sure if its self coloured plastic. If it is then that in itself is impressive. Windows, they look better in real life than on the photos possibly because of reflected light. The plastic on the side panels is very thin, thinnest I have seen on a model so that is well done.Have to say so far an amazing little loco especially for the £45 I paid. Hornby can certainly shut up some of their critics if other models come out to this standard.

Yes, I quite agree. The windows may not be that great and coloured plastic is definitely a step backwards but for 45 pounds I think we can all live with it especially as some of us intend to spray it anyway. Nice to hear that it runs well at slow speeds.

On the prototype all but the sliding windows at the sides have a black rubber channel to hold them in so I expect if you paint this on the windows will look much better.

Edited by Ruston

I don't believe it carried the name in it's working days, although I could be wrong- so it probably is technically "as preserved".

The thread on here discussing the Cattewater branch & bitumen terminal can be found here.

As for the windows, they aren't exactly great & hopefully someone will come up with a better alternative but on a loco selling around the £50 mark I can live with that. Just because something is small, it doesn't make it cheaper to make, and at today's prices this is well into "budget" territory.

Brianthesnail is bang on the money with his comments.  As Brian rightly points out, the model isn't perfect, but for around the £50 mark, what do people expect?  I've pointed out in my earlier postings that it runs beautifully, even at low speed.  SDJR7F88 has kindly taken the trouble to video and post a 15 minute review on youtube with a link (see earlier) which is comprehensive and very informative.  Based on all the information in the postings on here, either modellers want to buy it or they don't.  Some people need a reality check - £50 or less for a brand new RTR model is cheap these days and this one is worth the money in my opinion.

Paul

• Like 1