Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

• RMweb Premium

Attached some photos of early stages of attempts to improve this model in what I consider its weakest area.

I was initially put off by the two untidy horizontal seam lines between the underframe and body on this model. However, in the flesh the model looked a lot better than in some of the photos I'd seen, so I opted to buy one and see if I could improve it.

On the prototype there is an almost invisible welded seam between the side sheets and the valences. By contrast, on the model there is not just one visible seam between footplate and side sheets, but two, because Hornby have opted to make the valences (the part with the silver sandbox covers) separate from the footplate, creating another joint.

At first I thought this was in the interests of disassembly, but in fact the separate valences are unnecessary - access to the motor would not have been compromised had they been cast integrally with the footplate, as evinced by the fact that they are glued on. 

So just unclever design.

On mine and on every model I've seen the valences don't sit flush, so I'm hoping that having removed them (see pictures for how - just a screwdriver behind them) I can fettle the area of interface between valence and footplate and fill the gap so that there remains only one (reasonably unobtrusive) gap on the model - that between body and footplate.

I can't promise I'll be working on this very energetically, as I have other projects on, but I'll have a go at filling the gaps tomorrow and post results - if there are any. If not, maybe someone else will be inspired ...

For those interested in removing the side sheets, the blue tabs for these are visible in the first photo. These would have to be interfered with in some way to release the sheets - something I intend doing as I will be repainting the loco into a two-tone scheme (to represent one of the Dunbar Blue Circle locos), so having body and underframe separate will obviate the need to mask as much.

post-708-0-96172600-1388775782.jpg

post-708-0-66272800-1388775791.jpg

post-708-0-83873900-1388775802.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, having said I'd do nothing on the loco, I've got the valences done in less than an hour this evening. I followed two different approaches. On the first side I filed down the places where the valences attach to the underframe - these are visible in bare metal in the first photo. Once the valence sat flush I filled the gaps with superglue. This has the advantage that it can be sanded within a quarter of an hour, unlike a commercial filler, which would have delayed progress overnight.

Unfortunately, in the smoothing process the sandbox hatches were lost. However, not every loco has these - the NRM one for example doesn't. Still, I'll have a look in the box of my abandoned Judith Edge to see if there are any sandbox hatches I can pinch. (I abandoned the kit because of a problem with the front windscreens - the outer pillars should be parallel but on the kit these taper; the Hornby model seemed a quicker way to get an accurate model).

So much for the first side. However, on the second side, knowing that I'd be losing the sandbox hatches anyway, I thought I might as well leave the valences in their original position, without removing them, proud of their surroundings, and simply file them flush. Then repeat the superglue filler. This was a lot quicker and just as effective.

Incidentally, the odd finish on the valences is "Sharpie" permanent marker pen (Rymans), which I always use as an undercoat to reveal flaws in work. This is much easier than breaking out the airbrush to dust the part in question, waiting 8 hours for the paint to dry, finding the area needs more work, sanding again, getting out the airbrish again, etc. The Sharpie dries shiny, so reveals any flaws. It looks bloody awful at the moment, but can be sanded back with 1200 paper before painting.

Finally, I've sanded the lining and lettering of the model down so that they don't show through when I apply paint. I used 1200 grade again.

post-708-0-93473700-1388782404.jpg

post-708-0-17423500-1388782413.jpg

post-708-0-18009200-1388782422.jpg

Edited by Daddyman
  • Like 5

Take it back ASAP and don't dither.

The longer you leave it, the more likely you'll have a problem getting a refund or replacement.

Hi 

Well mine is going back tomorrow morning for a refund, spoke to the shop owner and told him about the missing parts.

So look like this one will be going back to Hornby, So there will be at least one model for spare parts!

Here's a rubbish video shot on my 'phone, with sound which has disappeared for some reason. (Shame, 'cause it had the sound of wagons clanking together as the Sentinel buffers up to them - I'll investigate).

Only saving grace is that it shows Hornby's little chugger pushing 9 jolly big wagons. That's not to say it will not move more, it was just all there were in the rake at the time. Worked well enough though, even over a set of points at low low speed.

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger
  • Like 2

One of mine arrived today.

I am very impressed. The photos don't really do justice to the model. The glazing doesn't look any worse to the naked eye than other models, nice touch the etched radiator grill and yes they are spray painted.

But the really impressive bit is the performance, this thing will creep along barely imperceptibly and handle 10 Triang Cemflos, 11 and it stars to slip getting away, It seams quite happy over Peco elecrofrog points but I think insulfrog might be a problem and I doubt if the tiny flywheel will help that much.

As Daddyman said the frame side sheets joint it the biggest let down again not so visible to the naked eye but as the frame is die cast I would have thought it would have been an awkward job the cast them in one piece.

New Sentinal meets one of the old stalwart Nellies.

Img_0230cropped_zps8e7c72ef.jpg

• Like 1

I hope that with all these Sentinels being bought we'll start to see some new industrial layouts being posted in the UK Standard Gauge Industrial section of this forum.Being a Ruston

Myself Being Ruston trained , it would be good to see a Ruston Loco in the RTR stakes , it must be nearly 50 yrs since the Trix offering !

Myself Being Ruston trained , it would be good to see a Ruston Loco in the RTR stakes , it must be nearly 50 yrs since the Trix offering !

Yep it would be good to see some more industrials. Now Hornby have had the balls to make one I hope it sells well and they make some more, a small Peckett to give some steam balance and maybe a few more of my Nellies will be retired to standby duties.

• Like 1

Hattons email Tarmac now scheduled for 24 February.  And lots of caveats about manufacturers lead times prone to delay....... you don't say.

So its missed Xmas and my birthday.

Ah well.  I might name it "Patience".

Seeing the comments regarding the 0-8-0 Sentinel, 'General Lord Robertson', reminds me that it was transferred when the Longmoor Military Railway closed to the MOD Depot at Shoeburyness.   The locomotive travelled light engine under its own power over the Southern Region and onto the London Tilbury & Southend Line.   It remained at Shoeburyness for a number of years before moving into preservation.   The connection from BR to the Military was via a link line that crossed Shoeburyess High Street and ran past a holiday caravan site near East Beach before entering the Depot.   A number of rail tours have been allowed to run into the Depot under strict conditions, including one topped and tailed with 76079 and 45407.  For a number of years redundant rolling stock was stored there.   Whilst most came in by rail some were moved by road transport.   For anyone wanting to provide a more unusual source of traffic on a layout a MOD Depot storing redundant stock might be an ideal subject.

Hornby R3180 Class 4wDM 0-4-0 diesel Sentinel shunter in Tarmac green. Weathered £45.00

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Monday 24th February 2014

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. This information is to be used as a guide only.

We hope that this email has been useful.

I'll be getting two, excellent !