RMweb

Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

• RMweb Gold

It is predictable that the Railroad version would be first to hit the market. When folk are champing at the bit they'll buy anything, molded handrails or not.

They must be very impatient if they can't wait from the 5th to the 16th. Its only 11 days, after all this time.

They must be very impatient if they can't wait from the 5th to the 16th. Its only 11 days, after all this time.

In my case nothing to do with impatience, just cannot justify the cost of a second sound loco, but still want two of these locos.

Yes to that. To confirm member 87029, a model railway retailer, has posted this morning that they've been notified by Hornby that the Railroad P2 has been despatched to them, together with the 1960s Brighton Belle power car set and coach set and LNER L1. Info from the Hornby thread 'Where are the Hornby models'. Apparently according to 87029 the trade website advises that the main range P2 is expected to be with Hornby in late September.

• Like 1

My Railroad P2 has been sent by Hattons today so they must be getting in the shops by now.

Showing as in stock today and they tried charging my card, but as I dont get paid till Monday it got declined and they are saying they wont be able to hold it if they all sell out before I get paid!

This is despite the fact that the original due date was after I got paid and I didnt put aside any money assuming all would be fine but because (unusually!) they got shipped early I may loose out :(

EDIT to Add they have sold out, annoyed is an understatement, would have thought that pre-ordering would have prevented something like this, polite email sent to MD asking them to review their policy for future when an item is dispatched earlier than expected.

Edited by modelpara

Railroad P2 was on the counter at Hereford Models this afternoon - the gap between the driving wheel flanges is tiny - the proverbial cigarette paper would have trouble squeezing in between. Nice looking model - can't wait for the up-market version.

Completely forgot I had ordered with Hattons. I have also ordered with Invicta and will honour all the orders I have placed! I had intended on purchasing multiple Railroad P2s anyway so I am a little ahead of my own game for a change. I look forward to seeing it tomorrow or Friday.

• Like 5

Pictures have shown up on ehattons for the railroad version, surely it can't be long now for the main range one. :D

I cannot find any pics., is it possible that because they have sold out already the R3171 RR P2 is thus not listed/illustrated?

I have one on its way from Hattons, received the emails, but it will take a week+ to NZ, to if anyone can suggest where I might be able to see my purchase I would be grateful.

Cheers,

Rob

Edit, ah I see watermarked pics already on Rails of Sheffield's site, very impressive model. Bent valve gear on l/h side though. Handrails and cab glass looks good, brakerods are fitted.  Wheels and front look very well-made. Kernows have photos too, but are sold out.

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

I cannot find any pics., is it possible that because they have sold out already the R3171 RR P2 is thus not listed/illustrated?

I have one on its way from Hattons, received the emails, but it will take a week+ to NZ, to if anyone can suggest where I might be able to see my purchase I would be grateful.

Cheers,

Rob

Edit, ah I see watermarked pics already on Rails of Sheffield's site, very impressive model. Broken/bent valve gear on l/h side.

Should have one arriving on Friday and paid less than Rails or Hattons were asking for it  :onthequiet:

Cheers,

Rob

Edit, ah I see watermarked pics already on Rails of Sheffield's site, very impressive model. Bent valve gear on l/h side though. Handrails and cab glass looks good, brakerods are fitted. Cab floor has a slight droop, may be the angle. Wheels and front look very well-made.

What has perhaps made me feel a little happier is knowing that my Railroad P2 - which will be taken apart and put back together again as a streamlined P2 - will be able to donate its tender to one of my Railroad A1s. The plain almost Gill Sans lettering on the tender in yellow will suit a 1946 era Pacific rather nicely. Add in the lining out and It's virtually ready to roll. That tender will be replaced by a streamlined A4 type instead, intended for a Lord President conversion in wartime black with weathering.

• Like 1

http://www.ehattons.com/60229/Hornby_R3171_Class_P2_2_8_2_2001_Cock_O_The_North_in_LNER_livery_Railroad_range_/StockDetail.aspx

Should have one arriving on Friday and paid less than Rails or Hattons were asking for it  :onthequiet:

Photos suggest a very nice model.

Thanks, don't know why it wouldn't load before.  Now I can drool.   It really looks impressive, and dare I say it I think the RR version might be a nice on the eye as the main range version, shades of the Duke.

Edited by robmcg

Good grief, this means you could have one weathered and looking all the business and we plebeians will still be waiting!

Good point Simon, might be able to eventually pair a non corridor (A3?) pattern tender with a Railroad A1 and rename her to 2750!

I'm going for a different loco but agree, the possibilities are rather intriguing, particularly if Hornby would deign in the future to use their Railroad A1 and pair it with the P2 tender for a different member of the class A1/A10. If they had tooled up a version with a short chimney, 220lb boiler and short cut out cab, I'd have been in heaven. Alas, both no.2001 and 4472 in the Railroad range have the large cut outs in the cabs, and the latter has a short lived GNR height chimney.