Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

• RMweb Gold

I was just looking at your pics toboldlygo and admired the white lining, compared to some models .. and the general build quality,   added shade around the name 'plate', in my careless way... hope you don't mind.

attachicon.gif2001_P2_20ab_r1200_crop1.jpg

It will have a set of etched plates on soon enough. The build quality is excellent, even the detail parts fitted easily. Also it will be very easy to permanently attach the tender to the loco, thanks to a very clever piece of design ;) 

message 1068 from Locomotion at Shildon

Why does no-one think of us up here in the north when looking for models??

The A1 Trust are doing a fantastic job of building a brand new P2 up here and I have plenty of Hornby R3207 P2 Cock o the North guaranteed to come my way with nobody's name on them yet.

GET IN TOUCH IF YOU WANT ONE !!

Locomotion Models trade on behalf of the National Railway Museum which is a registered charity.  The clear implication of your earlier remark was that Locomotion Models are financially supporting one of the two P2 builds when if fact they aren't.  Nothing in that message from Locomotion suggests anything to the contrary.

I said, "also Locomotion at Shildon have many in their allocation with nobody's name on them and it supports the P2 build."

My understanding of the English language is fair because their message was " The A1 Trust are doing a fantastic job of building a brand new P2 up here ".    I call that support.  Even if verbal only.

Your statement that they aren't supporting a P2 rebuild, and "Nothing in that message from Locomotion suggests anything to the contrary."  AND three AGREEs with your post is exactly why a lot of people avoid this and similar web sites. 

Unless the nature of the NRM requires that they need to commercially support something in order to verbally give support to something, which simply makes me sigh with despair.

For chrissakes people have been asking here WHERE CAN I get a reliable pre-order for R3207?  I also gave three addresses in an earlier message. Why do I bother?

Rob

Edited by robmcg

moving quickly along, here toboldlygo is your recent pic and we can now ask the more pertinent question,

"Was the P2 heavy on coal?"

I imagine that with 500 tons on between Edinburgh and Aberdeen the answer may have been, "somewhat",  or "depending on driver"... with the interesting valve gear and blast-pipe arrangement it might just have sounded good too!

Beautiful Scottish back-lighting makes an impressive sight, pity no one ever photographed it... climbing up towards the Forth Bridge      :)

post-7929-0-64607700-1409368129_thumb.jpg

picture hopefully by permission

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Plenty of others with uncommitted stock orders, as in previous pages, you might google Hornby R3207 for choices, also Locomotion at Shildon have many in their allocation with nobody's name on them and it supports the P2 build.

Yes,Rob,thank you,I have done just that.It should give me the security of obtaining a model I want,at the same time putting cash into the coffers of NRM Shildon.That might be interpreted as one way of giving them support,though from your recent experience,I see that I must needs be cautious with the use of that particular word.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hornby have been very open about their change of direction towards pulling back on high end features to try and reduce price inflation. Switching from a 5 pole to a 3 pole motor is part of that and if manufacturers were trying to cut costs it is probably one of the better places to start given that in the real world most customers probably won't notice a difference and when their main rival uses 3 pole motors without recieving complaints or suffering loss of sales for it. Whether or not people support this move towards a different detail-price balance is another question entirely but at least Hornby have been very open about it so their customers are aware of it.

In one of his interviews with Model Rail or Hornby Magazine, Simon Kohler said that the 5 pole adds around £25 extra to the price.

Simon told us on a number of occasions that the 5-pole was substantially more expensive to buy in, while offering very little difference in performance over a three-pole with a flywheel. 

CHRIS LEIGH

I agree with jib1970 that this was a well publicised part of the 'design clever' philosophy to reduce the cost of producing models and keep retail price increases to more realistic levels. While some parts of that design practice have been reversed, they were mainly the external body related features, others such as 3 pole motors and removal of brass bearings in steam loco main drive wheels have been retained. To mitigate any potential jerkiness at slow speed running with the 3 pole motor, Hornby are installing flywheels on the motor drive shaft to keep the rotation smooth, which is not something that Bachmann have installed with their 3 pole motors, which are common across their range of 'blue riband' locos

• RMweb Premium

Simon told us on a number of occasions that the 5-pole was substantially more expensive to buy in, while offering very little difference in performance over a three-pole with a flywheel.

CHRIS LEIGH

Thanks for that Chris.

The Hornby Railroad Duke of Gloucester with flywheel is akin to a RTR diesel loco in its performance. Assuming the images posted on this thread are unmanipulated, Hornby has well and truly ditched DesClev and is back on track producing very neatly detailed models. I wonder how many buyers are adding the missing LNER lining though?  :mosking:

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

The Hornby Railroad Duke of Gloucester with flywheel is akin to a RTR diesel loco in its performance. Assuming the images posted on this thread are unmanipulated, Hornby has well and truly ditched DesClev and is back on track producing very neatly detailed models. I wonder how many buyers are adding the missing LNER lining though?  :mosking:

My original set of photos aren't manipulated - though they have been resized and cropped :P

I'm not fussed about the missing lining, as most would have disappeared under a coat of grime when I'm finished with it ;)

• Like 1

First impressions.

I had the bottom plate off to look at the wheel sets. Still plain axles (no brass bearings), but the holes in which they spin are a significant improvement on DoG's. There are small plastic washers between each driving wheel and the chassis. 

The chassis is being run in on a rolling road and my first impression was that, though noisy, it is infinitely superior to DoG when I first ran mine. Extremely smooth. When running it on my layout in progress, it went onto the "dead" section where I hadn't finished the wiring and kept moving for another 30cm. Runs smoothly, slows like a real steam engine. 

Detailing is exquisite. Okay, moulded handrails on cab and tender but had no intention of keeping these on a Railroad model anyway.

Doors! Not in any of the reviews. Also has steps and cylinder drain cocks. 

Potentially, this is the best kitted out Railroad model Hornby has produced. I'm taking mine oop north tomorrow for some running in. It has thrown my whole weekend into disarray this model! Lots of fun beckons on the new layout.

I'm very happy - hopefully still will be after running in - and the more I look at it, the more I am thrilled. It is just so naturally beautiful.

• Like 1

It depends entirely on the quality of the product.

If you are using the example of vehicle engines,consider that my own VW Polo has a modest 1198cc engine yet develops more bhp than its 1400 cc counterpart....105 bhp in fact....simply because the way the system delivers the fuel is more sophisticated..and because it is turbo assisted.

As I've posted in reply to SAC Martin,we have to wait and see.I suspect we will be pleasantly surprised with the performance of this loco.

Incidentally,I would be interested to know whether you have models of R3191 and the 3 pole Silver Fox of your own....and are thus speaking from your own experience when pressing the "disagree" button.

========================================================================================================

Ok then why do or have Hornby run two types of motor`s in steam locos then 3 & 5.

Why don`t Hornby just have one style 3 or 5 pole skew like Bachmann run.

========================================================================================================

Ok then why do or have Hornby run two types of motor`s in steam locos then 3 & 5.

Why don`t Hornby just have one style 3 or 5 pole skew like Bachmann run.

In fairness it is probably down to whether there is space for a flywheel or not - I say that but then I remember that the Thompson O1 model has both a five pole motor and a flywheel...

Is it worth pointing out the Hornby site lists the main range P2 as having a 3 pole motor?

Ultimately it comes down to the technical details. The 5 pole will have better control and slower speeds and will provide a better running overall. If people will notice it in general use is another issue entirely and it also falls down to the build quality. If it's a crap build then adding a better motor isn't going to help one bit. Also it's a cost, and since this model is a- a railroad version and b- being picked up by people who are wary of spending money then these little cuts will need to happen and this is the little things we can expect.

Edited by Gordonotron