Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

And the 3 pole jobs in Silver Fox and D o G are equal to their 5 pole cousins.

====================================================

So are you saying the 3 pole motor is on par with a 5 pole motor is

same quality ,as powerful & as strong as the 5 pole motor. So why

did Hornby fit 5 pole motors the their A1 Tornado 4-6-2s. I am sure

P2 C.O.C.K O THE NORTH & Tender will weigh more.

The local model shop had the Railroad one on display today. Steam engines aren't my area of interest so I wasn't tempted to buy it, but for a Railroad model it really is pretty good. A pity most of their railroad diesels aren't up to anything like this standard!

• RMweb Gold

P2 update, she runs very nicely indeed (and can happily run on 2nd Raduis ;) )

The 3-Pole motor was slightly noisy at first, but quietened down fairly quickly after some running in. I put together a short test train for her to haul (6 Hornby Pullmans) which she had no problem with at all.

post-7000-0-92152000-1409327016_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-74172700-1409327032_thumb.jpg

Just waiting for the etched plates to arrive and then she'll be having a visit to the dirt works ;)

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

====================================================

So are you saying the 3 pole motor is on par with a 5 pole motor is

same quality ,as powerful & as strong as the 5 pole motor. So why

did Hornby fit 5 pole motors the their A1 Tornado 4-6-2s. I am sure

P2 C.O.C.K O THE NORTH & Tender will weigh more.

What I AM saying can be seen in my reply to SAC (above),which is an operational experience and can be seen ...for me,at any rate...as a direct comparison on my layout,using my Gaugemaster controller.

Don't conclude from that that everyone's experience will be identical to mine.You'll perhaps try it for yourself,if you haven't already done so.For the rest,if you have a concern...and you obviously have one....I would suggest you contacted Hornby for an answer.

• Like 3

Has anybody checked if the coupling rods are rigid or jointed? Just something I've been worried about since DOG came out, seeing as both it and the P2 were designed in a similar mindset, and I'd imagine that stiffness due to one-piece rods would be even more apparent on a mikado.

• RMweb Gold

Has anybody checked if the coupling rods are rigid or jointed? Just something I've been worried about since DOG came out, seeing as both it and the P2 were designed in a similar mindset, and I'd imagine that stiffness due to one-piece rods would be even more apparent on a mikado.

No need to panic the coupling rods are jointed in 2 places. 

She's certainly been put together very well - well my one has been!

• Like 5

The relief is palpable. On my DoG, the rods were the first thing to be replaced. Its not so bad on the Railroad Scotsman, but I did wonder how they'd do it with the P2.

My parcel arrived today…but it is at the sorting office. Drat and double drat! Still, what's one more evening. Looking forward to this model immensely. Already have everything in place for its conversion, too...

• RMweb Gold

The relief is palpable. On my DoG, the rods were the first thing to be replaced. Its not so bad on the Railroad Scotsman, but I did wonder how they'd do it with the P2.

My parcel arrived today…but it is at the sorting office. Drat and double drat! Still, what's one more evening. Looking forward to this model immensely. Already have everything in place for its conversion, too...

The nose looks like it can be removed easily enough...

Thanks for that-really looking forward to it now. Been worried she won't manage my setrack curves- though they're in the process or replacement anyway. Good to hear she's well put together too. :)

• RMweb Premium

Unlikely Colin - like the Railroad 4472 I suspect the chassis has been designed to fit specifically that motor. The new Railroad A4s have 3-pole motors designed to fit that older chassis type as opposed standard 3-pole motors designed into a new chassis.

Would not the different motors be a similar size?

Looking at some of Hornby's service diagrams they look very similar.

If anybody's interested the service sheet for the P2 is online: http://www.Hornby.com/downloads/view/index/cat/34/ (No. 401B)

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

It has gone "Sold out" and "pre-order" several times.

Keith

I have chickened out and approached Locomotion Models.I did have a problem with MRD last year in pre ordering a 2-BIL.Like many,they have problems in juggling supply and demand.In the end,I went elsewhere.That,however,was my choice and must not be seen as a reflection on them.

Well I have never seen this motor before 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X6644-Hornby-Spare-Motor-Flywheel-for-Class-P2-/141390224453?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item20eb839c45

£8 inc flywheel that is cheap .

Never seen spares being listed so early after a model release before. Search Hornby P2 on ebay , wheels,  motor etc available,  Hopefully  Hornby are solving the production crisis ?

Good luck to them if they have. Roll on the high spec version.

P2 update, she runs very nicely indeed (and can happily run on 2nd Raduis ;) )

The 3-Pole motor was slightly noisy at first, but quietened down fairly quickly after some running in. I put together a short test train for her to haul (6 Hornby Pullmans) which she had no problem with at all.

attachicon.gif2001_lhxfan.jpg

attachicon.gif2001_rhran.jpg

Just waiting for the etched plates to arrive and then she'll be having a visit to the dirt works ;)

Superb photos toboldlygo, thankyou! 

Do you have photos to guide you in weathering or just common sense..  you know, steam and oil and smoke effects 'usual' places? A couple of the pics used commonly in ads for R3207 main range show quite grubby condition but not as grubby as late BR engines. Just wondering how these engines actually may have looked when at work...   not too many pics of them around, and no colour pic so far as I am aware.

post-7929-0-49558600-1409346323.jpg

post-7929-0-28852300-1409346219.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

As with many things the more relevant questions are not so much whether a 5 pole skew wound motor is better than a 3 pole motor (it is) but whether the 3 pole motor offers acceptable performance and whether the chassis is a good design. My own experience tends to indicate that whilst a 5 pole skew wound motor is better that in the real world models with 3 poles motors work perfectly well and that the chassis design (pick ups, weight, balance, bearings etc) has a bigger and more noticeable effect.

It has gone "Sold out" and "pre-order" several times.

Keith

Plenty of others with uncommitted stock orders, as in previous pages, you might google Hornby R3207 for choices, also Locomotion at Shildon have many in their allocation with nobody's name on them and it supports the P2 build.

• Like 1

Superb photos toboldlygo, thankyou! 

Do you have photos to guide you in weathering or just common sense..  you know, steam and oil and smoke effects 'usual' places? A couple of the pics used commonly in ads for R3207 main range show quite grubby condition but not as grubby as late BR engines. Just wondering how these engines actually may have looked when at work...   not too many pics of them around, and no colour pic so far as I am aware.

attachicon.gif2001_P2_r3207-Hornby-lner-cock-o-the-north-class-p2_1a_r800bw.jpg

attachicon.gif2001_r3207-Hornby-lner-cock-o-the-north-class-p2-1a_r800bw.jpg

Excellent reference photos, will add to my collection ready for weathering mine.

Cheers

The nose looks like it can be removed easily enough...

I was just looking at your pics toboldlygo and admired the white lining, compared to some models .. and the general build quality,   added shade around the name 'plate', in my careless way... hope you don't mind.

post-7929-0-09023700-1409349808_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

In what way?

message 1068 from Locomotion at Shildon

Why does no-one think of us up here in the north when looking for models??

The A1 Trust are doing a fantastic job of building a brand new P2 up here and I have plenty of Hornby R3207 P2 Cock o the North guaranteed to come my way with nobody's name on them yet.

GET IN TOUCH IF YOU WANT ONE !!

by the way the RRP and Hornby price for R3207 is £122  not the £150 mentioned here and there as per TTS sound which I think is under that anyway.

As to 3-pole vs 5-pole there is more to it than just the style/number of poles,   its materials, construction tolerances and any number of factors in the exact design and dimensions, and if it works quietly reliably and well, enough said.  

• Like 2