Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

Sorry to point it out, but those nameplates don't look quite straight, sloping down towards the front, though I must say they do look very nice.

Edit: It could just be the angle of the photo that makes the plates look off, though I'm still not sure.

Just measured distance on screen  between bottom of nameplate and foot plate with a ruler  and it's the same at both ends of plate.

(No, I haven't got anything better to do, actually) :dontknow:

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 2

I politely suggest you recalibrate your eyeballs - it's the camera angle  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

attachicon.gif2001_rhfcu.jpg

Just measured distance on screen  between bottom of nameplate and foot plate with a ruler  and it's the same at both ends of plate.

(No, I haven't got anything better to do, actually) :dontknow:

Just checked it myself, it's the handrail that slopes UP toward the front (too checked with ruler), and when I covered up the handrail all seemed fine.

To my eyes it's the handrail above the nameplate which is sloping up as it goes towards the front of the smoke deflector...

Edit - Ade beat me to it as I was tryping! :sungum:

Edited by MarkC

• RMweb Gold

No sign of mine yet - nor even an unhappy smiley to add to the comment :-(

You mean one like this?  :(

Select the smiles, then click on "show all" (below the smiles about half way across) and many more appear.  :( is quite a way down the list.

Hope you don't need this particular smiley too often.   

Just looked through some pictures of the real 2001 on the internet, and I think that the sloped handrail may be correct, though I cannot be certain.

Edit: I think this picture shows what I mean http://newbuildsteam.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/2001-courtesy-the-gresley-society-trust.jpg

Nah, that's the wrong side... :jester:

...but seriously, I would be surprised if it did. Aesthetics and all that...although I would say that the P2 is purposeful and imposing, rather than elegant... Handsome beast, just the same.

• RMweb Gold

Nah, that's the wrong side... :jester:

...but seriously, I would be surprised if it did. Aesthetics and all that...although I would say that the P2 is purposeful and imposing, rather than elegant... Handsome beast, just the same.

Agreed.Very French in styling.Maybe in the genre of Andre Chapelon ? No doubt a strong influence on locomotive development here in the 1930's.She was tested...I think ....at Vitry-Le -Francois on the (then) main Paris(Est)-Strasbourg route.Styling by Bugatti.How's that for the romance of the railway at its zenith .

La Belle Époque of the railway !

This is a great looking loco and one I've always wanted since seeing it in my Fathers 'Railway Wonders of the World'. Of course it would have to be repainted into BR green and forgetting Thompson's criminal act of rebuilding them. Much preferred this front end design to the A4 type.

• RMweb Gold

Hi. I've really fallen in love with this engine! It runs so well and goes round all the curves on my layout. So what can be done to improve the model? Well replace the moulded details and put on the missing lining and replace the numbers and lettering, among other things that I've no doubt might be done.

Anyway, I've made a start on replacing the handrails and numbers on the cab-sides, in addition to adding on the missing cab-side lining.

I've taken a photo' of progress so far from 09.30 today - feel a bit cross eyed a the moment! But already I think an improvement can already be seen, with the real potential that this model clearly has.

post-22631-0-99926100-1409430893_thumb.jpg.

All the best,

Market65.

P.S. I've used Alan Gibson small handrail knobs. There is more to come!

• Like 8

Hi. I've really fallen in love with this engine! It runs so well and goes round all the curves on my layout. So what can be done to improve the model? Well replace the moulded details and put on the missing lining and replace the numbers and lettering, among other things that I've no doubt might be done.

Anyway, I've made a start on replacing the handrails and numbers on the cab-sides, in addition to adding on the missing cab-side lining.

I've taken a photo' of progress so far from 09.30 today - feel a bit cross eyed a the moment! But already I think an improvement can already be seen, with the real potential that this model clearly has.

attachicon.gif100_6029 - Copy.JPG.

All the best,

Market65.

P.S. I've used Alan Gibson small handrail knobs. There is more to come!

Superb workmanship...   we both know how cruel modern cameras can be and it looks great.  I am lazy and hamfisted and have pre-ordered a main range version but it won't have the handrails or the satisfaction of doing it yourself.  (not that that stops me from certain techniques with pictures!)

edit; your photo shows how crisp the moulded detail is generally,  there IS life after Sanda Kan!

Edited by robmcg

I was thinking the exact same thing, great minds think alike :)

I've had time to do a bit more looking - in particular at the K1 service sheet also now posted on Hornby's website. It shows how schizophrenic their design process is - the P2 has the derailment-prone 'stubby' pony truck, solid buffers and squared axle journals, while the K1 has a conventional pony truck, sprung buffers and   horseshoe driving axle journals, apparently with bearing collars on the wheelsets!

The Nim.

attachicon.gif2001_rhfancu.jpg

Etched plates are a perfect fit ;)

You realise the world is now waiting for a CotN with Scottish main line grime on its magnificent and short-lived shape.

My impression is that the grades and tunnels would have left considerable discolouring and grime on the body generally if during a series of return trips to Aberdeen, but very much 'working grime' perhaps, oily motion, smoke over boiler top etc .  I really must hunt out any obscure photos online and in my modest book library, does anyone have any suggestions re the latter for CotN photos?

I do commit heinous crimes in photo editing things like grime, but in my defence your Honour it is my hobby. 

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Rob. This is literally day one of maybe a couple of weeks of work on the P2. It really is a model which is much better than I was expecting! The work is, I've found today, really very satisfying, and I have decided that the best way for me is to complete the black and white lining first, and then put on the red, not forgetting the tenders 'LNER' lettering and the replacement of the moulded hand-rails. Then time will be found to replace the smoke box door handles, hand rail, and lamp-iron!

All the best,

Market65.

P.S. Not forgetting a set of etched plates!

• Like 2

Well, now fitted the front footsteps and cylinder drain cocks, looks better as in Toboldlygo's pics above.  Plus washer under drawbar screw.  Managed to knock off lubricator drive moulding under left hand footplate which is a bit vunerable so had to superglue it back on. 

After I tried 17 coaches on, (the maximum before loco started slipping)  I tried a Hornby A4 (Golden Plover) which would only pull 13 coaches - however my Jamieson V2 (with Romford Bulldog 5 pole motor) could pull 15 coaches. So the P2 pulls very well. 

Then did lots more running with a more reasonable length train. Somehow, it's very satisfying to see Cock o'the North just cruising round the layout.  But Market65 is selling me on correctly-shaded lettering/numbers though.... good job I've got the transfers.

[Note: Both  the P2 and A4 are fitted with double kylchap exhausts while Green Arrow is single chimney  :smile_mini: ]

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Motor prices etc, my Uncle buys motors in by the hundred from Hong Kong that are 5 pole and strapped to a precision reduction gear box for about £6 each. £25 each sounds a rather large exaggeration by Hornby.

I have even removed the motor from a broken cheap hairdrier (£10?) and that was a 12v 5 pole motor

It would be a bit big and current hungry for a 4mm model though!

It's about 28mm in diameter and consumes 2A off load when given 12v, it works by being in series with the heating element and fed by a bridge rectifier.

Keith

Edited by melmerby