Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

Cleaner than BR unlined black and mixed traffic engines anyway....    the photo above suggests a fair degree of grime.  On the Edinburgh-Dundee line plenty of opportunities to get grubby in a couple of return trips,  Most photos of the P2 are works or publicity or King's Cross where is clean, or clean-ish. 

Slightly understated weathering is indeed an art, as in the Schools pic I did for your friend, even if digital editing. I won't hesitate to add water and lubrication staining to mine when I receive it, and topside grime, and grime in the nooks and crannies... but I agree pristine or near pristine can look lovely too.  Can't wait for toboldlygo's version.  (and haven't received mine yet (sob) )

Rob

Dan Hamblin - it's thanks to Gresley actually. If there was any doubt as to the ruthlessness of locomotive engineers and the romanticism of enthusiasts, it is the conveniently forgot fact that Gresley rebuilt 2001 and 2002 to match the four streamlined P2s.

The A2/2 rebuilding is therefore irrelevant in the case of 2001: LNER apple green is the only historic livery that can be applied to it in this form, or 2007 when built to 2001s aesthetics.

As streamlined locomotives, the P2s also carried variations on LNER wartime black including some "warning panels" in white on a few class members front casing.

Cat among pigeons time,

This is what I'm planning to do with my Railroad version when I get it!...

post-10395-0-12661500-1409474608_thumb.jpg

I won't say watch this space because it probably won't even get going until next year, and take a long while from then, but I've made a start by acquiring a spare V2 shell and plan to use it's front end as well as a set of Bachmann V2 motion and parts.

Peter

• Like 8

Cat among pigeons time,

This is what I'm planning to do with my Railroad version when I get it!...

attachicon.gifP2 V2.jpg

I won't say watch this space because it probably won't even get going until next year, and take a long while from then, but I've made a start by acquiring a spare V2 shell and plan to use it's front end as well as a set of Bachmann V2 motion and parts.

Peter

Look forward to seeing the end product when complete. In the real world what would have been the future

for the P2 with-out Mr Thompson`s part in the P2 story.

My HornbyP2 is currently travelling at over 100mph at the head of a service out of Kings Cross...although as I type this we've had a signal check and are slowing for Stevenage!

My P2 must be the one of the first Hornby P2s to have visited Kings Cross, no?

Simon

Good to meet you today at Tony's. If you post some photo's of your P2 running, would you be kind enough to whack a piccie of my Garratt on as well?

Many Thanks

Lee

My first post and my first proposed 4mm purchase in Australia once they become available. Looking at the two images though the proportions of the firebox are hugely disappointing, the model firebox is way to long and far too close to the rear edge of the 4th driver. Is this correct ? Did these engines receive different sized fireboxes during their working life's ? Cheers, Steven Sydney.

post-23839-0-84787800-1409489105.jpg

post-23839-0-42022700-1409489167.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The comments about the difference (or lack of) between Railroad and "Full" range new Hornby locos is because up until now the Railroad range was made up mainly of "old" locos from Triang/Hornby, Airfix and Lima, many of which have been superceded by locos using new tooling.

The latest releases are all new both for Railroad and Full range and I don't see how you could make them much more "different" than they are.

Keith

EDIT

Maybe 5 pole motors and all wheel pickup on Main range and 3 pole and simpler pick up arrangements on Railroad in addition to the decoration level?

Edited by melmerby

Just idle curiosity here, but have they made the tooling so that they can do the later locos (and the early ones as modified) with the streamlined A4-style front ends?

My first post and my first proposed 4mm purchase in Australia once they become available. Looking at the two images though the proportions of the firebox are hugely disappointing, the model firebox is way to long and far too close to the rear edge of the 4th driver. Is this correct ? Did these engines receive different sized fireboxes during their working life's ? Cheers, Steven Sydney.

It may be just a trick of perspective, the on-shed photo of 2001 is at a slightly oblique angle to the photographer; you can see inside the l/h smoke deflector and the front of the cylinder casing, buffer beam, etc is also visible.  If the model were rotated to a similar angle, the apparent proportional differences would probably disappear.  As I look at the two pics, I'm more and more impressed at what Hornby have achieved!

Just idle curiosity here, but have they made the tooling so that they can do the later locos (and the early ones as modified) with the streamlined A4-style front ends?

Tony Wrights review noted a front slope on the chassis block, so maybe it has been developed with an eye to other members of the class at some point in the future.

I personally am waiting for my firemans breakfast with TTS version....