Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

Just picked up  my TTS version today, all seems very good and a very high quality finish. But I'm a bit uncomfortable with the gap between the loco and the tender. I'm sure someone may have mentioned earlier in this thread that it can be sorted out.

All good though, very pleased

Who's got the TTS version in stock? Not seen it yet!

Locomotion models had 2 yesterday of the TTS version.

Tested the sounds, quite good really. Chimney is almost flush with the boiler cladding. One side of the valve gear is slightly bent and is fouling the conrods....

Fix that then I will do a video.

Here is a quick video;

This was run using Hornby elink system which is dreadful and causes a right confusion with the commands. So far I have not seen a computer based DCC system which pleases me.

Going in reverse I saw some fouling between conrods and side rods. This has been tweaked since.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Possible option for those that want to upgrade the front of their Railroad P2 to a lined front, or modify a spare front end for whatever purpose

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hornby-X6665-Class-P2-Cock-o-The-North-Smoke-Deflectors-/331326946509?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4d249ffccd

That's E-bay Australia

Check out Peter's Spares website for other parts for Hornby products.

EDIT X6665 is £9.69 on the website (UK not Oz!)

Keith

Edited by melmerby

...What surprises me is that the Bugatti nose version is almost a centimetre longer...

Most of that looks to be the kit's buffers, which are definitely overlength. In reality the final puissant form was nominally 9" longer over bufferheads.

No need to apologise for the kit build, it is unmistakably a model of the beautiful thing. Think how that's going to sell for Hornby next year...

• Like 1

Here are some pics of the TTS P2 with my Bugatti Streamlined version I built 20 years ago (sorry it is horrible but it was my second kit loco), and my W1 built 17 years ago (my 6th loco, albeit transfers were added later).

Thanks for posting those wonderful images.

I also hope the Hornby streamlined version follows soon. But your photos now make me wish that Hornby would also produce a W1 (and yes, I did vote for that in the wishlist poll...).

Paul

That's E-bay Australia

Check out Peter's Spares website for other parts for Hornby products.

EDIT X6665 is £9.69 on the website (UK not Oz!)

Keith

My apologies for it being from the Australian version of Ebay. I simply forgot to change the .com.au to the .co.uk ending.

What surprises me is that the Bugatti nose version is almost a centimetre longer!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it the bigger buffers that make it 1 centimetre longer.

Will be good when Hornby do their Bugatti P2 nose version.

D.R.M.

Mine arrived today , good service from Waltons too.
Lovely Loco 9 out of 10 for looks and runs well ,as to the Tender 3 out of 10 very poor compared to the earlier version used with Hornby's A3 's . Rear lining is way out of line and has poorly moulded fittings and coal. 
Hornby have supplied with all the wheels in Apple Green is this correct ?, as all the Pacifics only had Green Drivers and Front Bogie . Slightly darker Green used by Hornby than other LNER Pacifics.

I have one spare New Type tender from a BR A3 tempted to relivery into LNER Green as it will be a vast improvement, the Green is the only problem with doing this.  

As to the Loco the Smokebox handrails and Dart will get sorted out. New metal buffers to be fitted.  Personally will leave the Cab Handrails alone as not viable to replace them without wrecking the Livery. New etched Name and Works Plates to be fitted. The Name Plates supplied as "etched" by Hornby are plastic and/or very poorly made.

Edited by micklner

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it the bigger buffers that make it 1 centimetre longer.

Will be good when Hornby do their Bugatti P2 nose version.

D.R.M.

Not just the buffers. The body is longer too. I don,t know how accurate the Ks kit is, but another poster said that the Bugatti one was 9in longer. I have never understood why I never got round to painting them buffers on my kit

!

The W1 would be a fabulous locomotive.

I can confirm mine is. Powered by a portescap, very proud of this south eastern Finecast kit, although I should not have followed the paint scheme on the box (cab roof and tender roof should be black - another thing I never got round to).

The Hornby TTS model is nice, if too basic in some areas. Am tempted to swap tender top with a Gresley A3.

Motor is the same cheap one used in smokey Joe and Duke of Gloucester, a tad noisy in my opinion compared with Bachmann 3 poles. That said you pick up spares for £1.50 at most electronic stores!

In the   Operating and Maintenance Instructions  sheet (REF01-91225) for R3246 TTS it say in the General section

the three-pole motor locomotive runs from a 12 volt DC .In Routine Maintenance / Motor this locomotive

as a life long FIVE-POLE sealed motor. Dose the R 3246 TTS run a three or five pole motor ?.

D.R.M.