RMweb

GWR & BR(WR) Modellers opinion sought!

GWR / BR(W) liveries  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What GWR / BR(W) livery do you prefer for your locos and coaches?

• 1804 - 1875 Era 1
    • 1875 - 1922 Era 2
    • 1920's Era 3a - Great Western on locos, GWR on coaches with the heraldic twin shield
    • 1930's Era 3b - GWR Roundel used from 1934
    • WW2 Era 3c - mix of coach liveries with some appearing in Brown and others in a red-brown colour.
    • 1940's Era 3d - Co-incidently with the appearance of the Hawksworth stock, the Chocolate and Cream reappeared with Great "crest" Western on the coach sides.
    • 1948 - 1956 Era 4
    • 1957 - 1966 Era 5

• RMweb Premium

Edited 11th May 2012 to now include the option of a Poll - Which era will you vote for?

This is not a wish list!

With all the debate raging about Hornby's choice of Hawkesworth coaches, it begs the question, what livery do you prefer for your locos and coaches?

Using the Bachmann Era system:

1804 - 1875 Era 1

1875 - 1922 Era 2

1923 - 1947 Era 3 - But then to break this section down further:

1920's Era 3a - Great Western on locos, GWR on coaches with the heraldic twin shield

1930's Era 3b - GWR Roundel used from 1934

WW2 Era 3c - mix of coach liveries with some appearing in Brown and others in a red-brown colour.

1940's Era 3d - Co-incidently with the appearance of the Hawksworth stock, the Chocolate and Cream reappeared with Great "crest" Western on the coach sides.

1948 - 1956 Era 4

1957 - 1966 Era 5

It would be interesting to see firstly how many people model the Great Western and what period they choose to represent.

Personally, my models are set in the 1930's at Era 3b with a mix of 3a and 3b liveries. Obviously this means my stock is re-painted where the RTR item does not fit that era.

(I used the Michael Harris GW coaches from 1890 book as my source)

Thanks,

• RMweb Gold

I'm an era 5 modeller - specifically Summer 1960 in Devon. So no Stars, Saints or even Westerns for me. I have been quite strict with myself on what I have collected so far but I did have a moment of weakness earlier in the year and ordered a Well Tank from Kernow. I might also be tempted to wander a bit more when Bachman release the westernised version of the ROD (last one withdrawn in 57, I believe).

• RMweb Gold

Era 4/5 - for a number of reasons,

1. At the beginning, and more or less up to 1960/61ish, colour schemes apart it was basically the GWR with a new governing board plus various items of BR standard design infiltrating. And it remained 'different' long after that despite the efforts of the vandals.

2. The period allows in the latterday GW designs of locos and stock (some of which I happen to like).

3. (Perhaps with a little elasticity) Changes in Regional boundaries after the end of the penetrating lines period create some fascinating opportunities.

4. I can't stand tubular steel signal posts painted white (and that together with a lack of passenger stock probably puts me off the pre-war GWR more than anything else, really :blink:) and although the opportunity doesn't necessarily offer I do like WR style colour lights signals (shame the opportunity doesn't offer :().

5. (Clearly a potent factor) It's a period I can remember as I grew up in it and there were things on the railway in that period which interested and appealed to me although I didn't start working with them until the end of those eras (joined the WR in 1966 and stayed with it, latterly as Regional officer :blush:, until its demise in 1992 - and some things stayed 'peculiarly Western' right up to the end, fortunately).

So yes, there is some truth in people modelling what they knew in their formative years although it does go a bit beyond that I like to think. And do you know anybody else who is put off a particular period because they don't like the colour of the signal posts :icon_rolleyes:?

PS Mr Hornby is starting to do me quite well B)

I suppose I would say 1960, which makes it era 5. However, because mine is a fictional line in ADDITION to the rest of BR, more stock is needed than BR actually had (if you see what I mean), and the works had been a little slower in updating liveries so loco's have a mix of early and late crests and British Railways in full. There are probably still more blood and custard coaches and yet a full set of maroon mk 1's is hauled by a matching Western-they were introduced earlier in my parallel universe, again the extra stock is needed for the fictional line.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

I'm still at the planning stage of a layout that will be set in the broad period 1938-1950. In many places there was very little change in railway infrastructure or surroundings over that period in areas that didn't suffer much from air raids, so with a bit of appropriate "set dressing" such as vehicles, billboards, figures etc I will cover eras 3b, 3c, 3d and the beginning of 4. My loco and stock collection already includes the first 3, so I'm ok with all the livery variants from mid 1930s to very early BR. I aim to concentrate on the WW2 period however. I just need to reorganise the loft and get started. Hum...

Pete

Hi Chaps,

Until recently i was an on again, off again late 1960's 00 modeller, no steam and all the hydraulics in maroon syp & fyp, green syp & blue syp & fyp - so thats right at the very end of era 5 and into era 6!

However, i've just picked up the new Hornby Castle and am much impressed with it - this forces me back into the early 60's at the latest and that's with a change of logo from early to late (on the tender!).

But: i could almost chuck it all in and go 0 gauge for that stunning Lionheart Trains pannier with sound - IF i do that, it would be to go 1920's era 3a "Great Western" !!!!! - for the sheer beauty of it all.

As for me, i was born in 65 in a small midlands town without a sniff of hydraulic action until i happened to see a maroon preserved one pass through in about 1978/79. Hornby's "Western Courier" was my first new loco and ever since i have a great fondness for the hydraulics. I suppose this was in addition to my growing up in the period when the GW BLT was all the rage - some of it must have rubbed off!

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Gold

Firstly Neal ,thanks for doing this poll as its very topical at the moment !

I model mainly GW 3d but I do have a couple of tanks in the earlier 3a period but these could easily be changed.I don't like the shirtbutton logo on locos and incidently want to know what livery the GW Castle will be.I do like the coaches with Great crest Western on them like the Bachmann Colletts.

I might stretch my time period into BR days as I want the new Bachmann 3MT and a BR liveried Castle with Hawksworths would look very nice.I wouldn't I get away with an early crest loco with a rake of Mk1s in chocolate/cream ?

I'm still undecided which period I want to model. I have the freedom at the moment, but not for much longer. It's between:

• 1935 (When my mum was twenty one), the year she started teaching. I am using Collett stock for locos and coaches, so they're still 'modern' and fairly new. (Era 3b)
  • 1947 (I still wasn't a twinkle in dad's eye), the last year of the GW and with the long hot summer. (Era 3d)
  • 1956 (I was five, and taking my first train journey as an enthusiast) So then we'd get black locos and maroon coaches. (Era 4)

As I said, I'm undecided.

Although my project is predominantly LM, on LM infrastructure, there was a WR service through Sedgeley Jn formed predominantly of tank locos and non-corridor stock, working Snow Hill - Dudley - Brierley Hill commuter services.

My project starts in 1960 so I am your era 5 - perhaps 5(B)

As I'm in a WR thread I'll ask my question again

Are Hornby able to use the new Hawkesworth underframe and bogies to produce a non-corridor third / Brake third ?

• RMweb Gold

Era 2 for me

- which of course consists of at least three different overall colour styles for the coaching stock that differ more from each other than most of the later livery changes (eg following Slinn on the coaches we've got 1864-79 initial choc & cream, followed by 1880-1907 fully lined out choc and cream, and then 1908-12 all over brown, and then 1913-22 all-over lake). To say nothing of class wording, garter crests etc which cut across these periods. (Ok, someone had to come along and do the hair-splitting biggrin.gif ).

So a bit of a minefield for any potential RTR manufacturer! But it does go to prove how unfair it is when people say there's no diversity in modelling the GWR.

• RMweb Premium

OK I'm not a GWR moddler however with regards the shirtbutton logo, I think it looks good on rolling stock but rubbish on locos. All that green (especially when its unlined) makes it look like an afterthought or a tempory fix on anything but the smallest of designs.

• RMweb Gold

Era 2 for me

- which of course consists of at least three different overall colour styles for the coaching stock that differ more from each other than most of the later livery changes (eg following Slinn on the coaches we've got 1864-79 initial choc & cream, followed by 1880-1907 fully lined out choc and cream, and then 1908-12 all over brown, and then 1913-22 all-over lake). To say nothing of class wording, garter crests etc which cut across these periods. (Ok, someone had to come along and do the hair-splitting biggrin.gif ).

So a bit of a minefield for any potential RTR manufacturer! But it does go to prove how unfair it is when people say there's no diversity in modelling the GWR.

Not to mention two different track gauges (at the same time in many places) and an all over lake loco (of a sort, not sure how many) as well.

Using the Bachmann Era system:

That's what I have a problem with in the first place:

Who said Bachmann have the last say on what is an "era" and how long it will be?

Gloss over 102 years of railway history in just 2 eras - just because they don't make much/anything to represent it :(

Possibly as good a classification of periods would be by the appointed chief engineers.

Not to mention two different track gauges (at the same time in many places) and an all over lake loco (of a sort, not sure how many) as well.

Also not to mention the variety of ways in which those mixed gauge lines could be laid, the various red-lined (French Atlantics and 97, the prototype 28XX) and unlined blacks (Armstrong and Dean goods in the late 20s), all brown autotanks and those covered with fake coach bodies, differences between Swindon and Wolverhampton lining styles, earlier black/white or pea-green lining...

As for me, mostly 2 but with a little bit of 1 and some 3. In other words, anything GWR but trying to avoid straying into BR days :rolleyes:

Nick

Era 4-ish for me. I'm not a fan of the shirt button either, but nor of diesels, (ducks to avoid flying cobbles, oil-cans, spanners etc). I'd love to know what Mr Hawksworth would have done given the chance. 2-10-0? pacific? 2-6-4T? (eyes glaze over......)

• RMweb Premium

Well I will fall in the Era 3 bracket , but a mix of 3a and 3b liveries , I am not a lover of the shirtbutton on loco's for the reasons already mentioned , so the majority of them will be Great Western with the crest for the express ones , but on coach and goods stock it's not to bad so I will have a mix .

When ( a big when ) the layout eventualy gets built it will have a cut off year of 1938 , but that will stretch on occasions to allow the couple of early loco's that had been withdrawn to run , so City of Truro and the Great Bear will live on in my world . I would also like to do a De Glehn from the Finecast range if I can get through the other mass of projects that reside in the cupboard .

Another reason for this time period is that I really cant face having to make the stock filthy dirty , ( ducking behind wall ) , post war pictures seem to show that cleaning and presentation took a back seat , just my obsevation , your milage may vary as they say , so a light dusting on the good stock and loco's and pristine express service's will do for me .

Leaving with flak jacket on .

I model GWR 1923 - 1947 Era 3 possibly because I started spotting in the early BR period. Perhaps its escapism to replicate this era.

The Fifties to the end of steam produced a collection of very dirty locomotives, interspersed with pristine ex-Works examples. You will not find any weathered locos on my layout. I still shudder at my last sight of dirty ill maintained locos struggling up from Bristol to Gloucester towards the end.

The less said about the introduction of diesels in the Westcountry the better. My late father-in-law was a signalman at the foot of Hemerdon and was not in a good mood after an night shift when another bl---- diesel had broken down!

As I am modelling a real location my endevour is to get the infastructure as accurate as possible for an exact period (September 1958).

However in order to increase operational interest I have slightly broadened the locomotive and rolling stock allocation to cover 1957-59. Surprisingly a lot changed during that 3 year window!

Regards,

Andy.

I would say era 3a, but with a stretch to 3b with the introduction of a few shirt-button items. Having said that I also have much later items, but these are really for a club layout rather than my own.

I also have some "flights of fancy" so hence a Great Bear is on production and I do have some interlopers from other regions, a number courtesy of my son who has been turned slightly to the Southern.

The reason for the choice, GWR because I come from Cornwall, I'm not too fond of the roundal/shirt button and I like the look of the choc. and cream coaching stock with the Great "Crest" Western lettering..

Mark

Archived