HEAVY METAL Lackenthorpe steel works in N. YARD & DEPOT.

Mr Pix

Hi all

A small bit of progress.... adding some minor detailing, fencing and a crossing light for the access road that will be a one way system.

The 08 shuttling a couple of OCAs with steel slabs around the works.

Jez

post-4726-0-05926000-1492952230_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-35710300-1492952249_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-95648200-1492952263_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-37025700-1492952281_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi all

A little more progress on the road bridge that crosses the main line and the line that access the works reception sidings. Started to ballast the main line around the bridge area but will leave the rest because it's raised and runs along the front risking damage whilst working on other areas of the layout.

A red stripe refurbished 37 with empty coil wagons trundles over the crossing, passing by the works signal box that controls the works reception sidings.

Jez

post-4726-0-87983300-1493556319_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-03201000-1493556333_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-89741700-1493556343_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

This is pure brilliance.....anyone who says they don't have the room to build a convincing layout needs to take note!

I was a bit gutted you changed the design because I thought the first one was bloody good.....but I'm not complaining at the second one either.

Top stuff!

This is pure brilliance.....anyone who says they don't have the room to build a convincing layout needs to take note!

I was a bit gutted you changed the design because I thought the first one was bloody good.....but I'm not complaining at the second one either.

Thanks for the kind comments Mike...... much appreciated from someone with the modelling skills of yourself.

Jez

Hi all

Making the most of good weather, a bit of patch work on the largest half relief building on the layout. It has been knocked about a bit so covered up the marks by....giving the looking as though building has had panels removed and replaced. Also sorting out the pipe work that will run on the outside of the structure.

A new class 60 leaves Lackenthorpe Works with a heavily loaded train of BAA coil wagons.

Jez

post-4726-0-76486100-1493642760_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-77086000-1493642775_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-85416600-1493642808_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi all.

Not much to show.....just a little weathering on a couple of break down /rerailing wagons and a pair of TTAs tank wagons.

Here is a photo of where they will spending most of there time at the rear of the depot.

Next major job is ballasting the main line and air brushing the whole layout.... depot,track and works structures along with most of the rolling stock.

Jez

post-4726-0-51709900-1494256119_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-34837400-1494256132_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Looking good Jez,

I'm half tempted to get one of the engineers CCT's, they look very nice.

Hi Paul... Thanks..... yes they are nicely done and look the part, they don't take to much space either.

Just need a snow plough to go on the end of the other siding that will leave enough space for stabling 3 large locos.

Jez

Edited by Mr Pix

Hi Jez, Paul? Hahahaha.... wrong person  :no:

I will probably get one, be nice to match it with a breakdown crane though!

Sorry GRAHAM..... had just been on the phone to my boss Paul!!!...D' oh!

It would be nice for some one to make a breakdown crane in N. Farish do a MK 1 BSK Departmental yellow breakdown crane coach, I was tempted but limited for space.

Jez

• Like 1

Hi all

Not much progress... An artic been loaded by a forklift and the some of the metal sector wagons that will be used on the layout for moving finished product from the works.

An 08 shunting stock and a new class 60 bringing empty BAAs to the reception sidings.

Jez

post-4726-0-92928300-1494779550_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-57132100-1494779573_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-22666700-1494779598_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-68394800-1494779610_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
Hi Jez,

Lackenthorpe is progressing well! Looks really good. What are you plans for the next developments?

Hi Rich..... thanks.

Things have slowed down at the minute with Lackenthorpe, but it's always been a long term project.

I've just started a new thread in layout topics on a new project, it's a 5x2 Depot with a small freight loop. I wanted something smaller I can set up and store in the garage. "Trainload freight subsectors".

It's the same era as Lackenthorpe, it will be a larger fictional trainload freight metals sector sponsored TMD that provides traction for nearby heavy industries. I'll have a go at scratch building the main depot structures with one loosely based on Landore/Cantons main heavy repair building.

Jez

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich..... thanks.

Things have slowed down at the minute with Lackenthorpe, but it's always been a long term project.

I've just started a new thread in layout topics on a new project, it's a 5x2 Depot with a small freight loop. I wanted something smaller I can set up and store in the garage. "Trainload freight subsectors".

It's the same era as Lackenthorpe, it will be a larger fictional trainload freight metals sector sponsored TMD that provides traction for nearby heavy industries. I'll have a go at scratch building the main depot structures with one loosely based on Landore/Cantons main heavy repair building.

Jez

Hi Jez,

Good luck with the new project, although glad to hear you've not done away with Lackenthorpe - do like what you've done with this layout.

Rich

• 9 months later...

Hi,

Congratulations on the new addition to the family!

I've spent about half an hour this evening reading through this thread, its superb!  Can i ask, I may have missed it earlier (sorry if i did) but how did you build the steelworks buildings - is it foamboard with some kind of covering?

Mike

Hi,

Congratulations on the new addition to the family!

I've spent about half an hour this evening reading through this thread, its superb!  Can i ask, I may have missed it earlier (sorry if i did) but how did you build the steelworks buildings - is it foamboard with some kind of covering?

Hi Mike... many thanks for the kind words

Some of the buildings are Walthers kits that have been modified and some are scratch built using ply wood covered in some lined plastic sheets that I obtained from my time in the RAF. They were used for packaging aircraft components.

The Walthers kits are very good, well detailed and easily modified, they're not cheap but got mine whilst on holiday in the US.

Cheers Jez