HEAVY METAL Lackenthorpe steel works in N. YARD & DEPOT.

Mr Pix

Hi All

Placed some track on the lower half of the helix to see how it sits and to get a look at the graident before committing to screwing the helix in place, also looking at how the three lines will link up with the fiddle yard.

Also a photo of the North end works with the loading area with an old Farish 31 shunting the yard and some HGVs.The left hand corner will need some attention with an embankment or may be a stack of containers. 

Thanks for looking.

Jez

post-4726-0-14526100-1388944768_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-08268400-1388944830_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-05670600-1388944876_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Track secured to 3/4 of the helix ,began testing the inner line which is now connected to the fiddle yard. Began running locos light engine (classes 37,56,58 and 60) to make sure no derailments.....all went well, then coupled them to 23 MGRs which they all had no problem with so added 3 more which they all coped with. 

The Dapol 56s ran very smooth all the way up along with the Farish 60, better than the 58 and the 37s but they still performed well. The Dapol HTS which I had concerns about pulled 7 Mk3s with dummy power car at rear with no problems too, so all went well.

Will now finish last 1/4 of helix wanted to make sure every thing ran smoothly before i covered any access to the track on lower part .

I have one new Farish 20 which i intend to run in pairs so did not bother testing with MGRs, will be at Model Rail Scotland next week so will hopefully pick up a bargin 20 there.

Thanks for looking.

Jez   

post-4726-0-63557800-1392564641_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-07711700-1392564717_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-53560500-1392564763_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Jez,

Looks like your making good progress, I have a little question, in the photo's there are three tracks climbing the helix, two are obviously the mainlines but what is the third? does it go to the steelworks? 

Cheers

Graham.

Hi Graham

Yes the outer track will run along side below the raised main line linking the yard with a spur passing under the main line and also a spur to the works and will carry on heading north along side the main line and under the road bridge back down to the fiddle yard.

Hopes this helps.....two photos...

First one the road bridge the inner line will run below the two main lines

Second the link to the yard under the main line.

Jez

post-4726-0-20038700-1392569675_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-22295400-1392569984_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Just had a read over this, what a great looking layout. Can I asked what blue you used for the steel works? and did you abandon the coke ovens? 

Regards

Scott

Thanks Scott... i used Revell 14ml paint pot Matt Blue number 56.

The coke ovens will be used on the layout in the future when more progress is made along the rear of the layout.

Jez

Hi All

Finishing off the last third of the helix and testing rolling stock.

Thinking of a name for the Steel works, came up with ....LACKENTHORPE.... obviously a combination of Lackenby and Scunthorpe steel works I think is sounds like an heavy industrial area in the north of England... any thoughts?

A couple of photos of some of the layouts motive power stabled in the yard.

Jez

post-4726-0-71371900-1392809083_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-30138500-1392809140_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

This layout is coming on wonderfully.

Really starting to look the part now. :D

That helix looks very good too - you've probably already answered this question but I'm at work at the moment so haven't been able to read every post - how did you calculate the gradient required?

This layout is coming on wonderfully.

Really starting to look the part now. :D

That helix looks very good too - you've probably already answered this question but I'm at work at the moment so haven't been able to read every post - how did you calculate the gradient required?

Thanks DanielB..... It was just trial and error, made use of the available space using set track and kepping the track on the level horizontally as the incline increases.

Jez

Hi all

The helix in nearing compleation with  track drying to complete one full circuit. 

Found these great storage plus units in Aldi they come as a pair of wall mounted fixtures with 42 other bins and storage items that fix to them and they were reduced to only £10.

Jez

post-4726-0-37599500-1393450373_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi all

Decided to rip up and start again, was not happy with the operational side of the layout.

The hidden fiddle yard turned out not to be a good idea , along with the link ups to the layout above. So the layout will be reduced in width with the yard and depot along the front disappearing.

The layout will now become a full oval and run along the other side of the shed ,there will be a reduced fiddle yard and the layout will be reduced in height so I can have another layout above.....more to come!

The layout will still be LACKENBY works based in the late 90s and all the buildings will be retained , so no change with the theme of heavy freight trains to and from a steel works.

Thanks for looking in on any progress

Jez

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

A bit of progress on the rebuild...... The width of the layout has been reduced by a third with the removal of the yard along the front, it has also been reduced in height to wear the hidden fiddle yard was. A wooden frame work has been constructed above for a new layout (used for storage at the moment) and will be used to suspend the lighting for Lackenthorpe.

The north end will be much as before buildings wise with less track work and no overhead crane, the south end will have a depot off at an angle with main line running and hidden around the back of the depot, this end will also be mineral handling and storage ,along with the coke ovens.

The main line will run along the front of the layout slighlty raised above height of the works and will give access at both ends the of works.

A few photos of progress upto now.

Jez

post-4726-0-51090300-1418041143_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-81786700-1418041430_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-87585200-1418041632_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-38086500-1418041813_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-00746600-1418041936_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr Pix
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jez

I can't believe I haven't seen this layout before!  In terms of concept it's right up my street - especially all the heavy industry and steel traffic!

It's tough when you've put in a lot of work and realise that what you've produced isn't what you want, but that is part of the learning process and we've all done it - I know I have!  TBH often it's the only way you actually learn!

I am sure that the lessons from your original build will be put to good use, and now I know about your thread I am looking forward to following your progress.

On another note, I noticed a couple of pages ago you were asking about the large loading forklift.

We used the same model on our club layout Horseley Fields, which is a representation of Wolverhampton Steel terminal in N.

The model depicts a vehicle designed for use intermodal container lifting, and on the real things the cabs can be raised up to see over the containers.  The model comes with an extended or flat cab base, so just used the non-extended version. 

This is a photo of the real thing:

post-420-0-23398700-1418046068_thumb.jpg

I epainted ours to represent the vehicle used at Wolverhampton steel terminal.  As far as I can tell, coils are more usually lifted via the overhead crane though, with the forlift used for steel plates and rods.

A couple of shots of the model:

post-420-0-66677600-1418046094_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-21572900-1418046119_thumb.jpg

I cheated a bit with the hazard chevrons, using the black ones provided in the kit as they were sized and shaped appropriately rather than trying to replicate the red of the real thing!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3

Thanks Ben..... Like your forklift ,need to get mine weathered and fit the chevrons.

Like the look of your yard area with the steel plates and rods and those doors on the storage building are a just brilliant, great workmanship.

Jez