expoEM Bracknell, 18-19 May 2013

Gee Vee

Why go to expoEM and then watch footing the ball? I am sure that there will be much of far greater interest and importance in the exhibition hall.

Edited for punctuation!

I am the show manager but nothing will be more important to me that the footy on sunday afternoon.....

List of jobs to get sorted tomorrow - everything is set for a fantastic weekend....

for all those attending, have a safe journey to the show.  Its gonna be great!

graeme

I am the show manager but nothing will be more important to me that the footy on sunday afternoon.....

Graeme

Graeme,

then lets hope that we don't get a fire in the hall, a terrorist attack or someone breaks a leg. :jester:

And I thought you were such a sensible, well balanced person.

See you at setting up this evening.

Jol

p.s. Can you put the MotoGP up on a big screen in the hall?

• RMweb Gold

Graeme,

then lets hope that we don't get a fire in the hall, a terrorist attack or someone breaks a leg. :jester:

And I thought you were such a sensible, well balanced person.

See you at setting up this evening.

Jol

p.s. Can you put the MotoGP up on a big screen in the hall?

The football I can understand but car racing..........  :no:

Test match special at the 2mm enclave!

Jerry

What, no female mud wrestling being shown?

Not sure it's worth going, then  (of course it is - can't wait to get there)

Phil

Going, it is so close to me (<5miles) it would be negligent not to attend. I used to do EM but gave up interest and switched back to OO among others. I still build the occasional EM kit.

The main purpose of a show guide is to locate the layouts and traders - I tend to have limited time at any show and the traders always come first. However I do like to get round them quickly to get some time for admiring the layouts. expoEM usually has a good selection of those.

As said the downloading is no longer a problem, several kind RMWebers PM'ed me offering to email a copy. So I now have one. But realising that there might well be a few visitors to the website who were not RMWebbers and probably trying to download the guide in vain, I continued to test it. (and as of this morning it still doesn't download) But it is too late now for this year and perhaps should be on the list for next year.

BTW. As the emailed pdf opens ok in Adobe I suggest it is not the file itself. But still getting the error in the Adobe plug-in for IE10 and Firefox it does suggest there is some conflict between the plug-in and/or access to the file on the emgs site?

It may well be your computer, Kenton.

I have 2 laptops running W7 Pro and a notepad running W7 Home Premium.

My main W7 Pro laptop opened the PDF perfectly, the spare laptop running W7 Pro didn't. The difference? The one that worked perfectly is running IE10 and the one that failed to open was running IE9! The W7 home notepad also opened the PDF with IE9.

Not having data on the laptop that wouldn't open the PDF I reinstalled the OS, did all Windows updates, installed IE9 and Acrobat Reader and it opened the PDF fine. I then upgraded to IE10 and it still works fine.

If you haven't rebuilt your laptop for the last 6 months, I suggest you do just that - it's a well know Windows issue and that's why I have a partitioned hard drive and an image for my main laptop and I rebuild the laptop about every 6 months.

Phil

It may well be your computer, Kenton.

Phil, as I said above this has nothing to do with my PC - I am not alone in the problem. I have IE10, Adobe and W7 (all fully updated) and the file sent me via email opens OK in Adobe, not to mention no other problem with many other pdf files.

What was intended as a note to the emgs that they may well have a problem with the file and others not being so vocal might just not bother, has been blown out of all proportion. Thanks for your suggestions but I think with only 24hrs to go we can close this side of the discussion and get on with enjoying what should will be a good show.

The football I can understand but car racing..........  :no:

Test match special at the 2mm enclave!

Jerry

Jerry,

MotoGP is  racing on motasickles. They have two wheels, not four, but don't accuse me of being the motoring equivalent of a rivet counter.

Jol

• RMweb Gold

Jerry,

MotoGP is  racing on motasickles. They have two wheels, not four, but don't accuse me of being the motoring equivalent of a rivet counter.

Jol

Oh well, shows how much I know ! :scratchhead:

Jerry

Jerry,

Jol

More fundamentally, MotoGP is the one that has overtakes in it...

Actually, even more so if you watch the axe-murderers in Moto2 and the immortal tiddlies in Moto3 :-)

Flymo

Really good show once again. Arrived at 10:45 with still sufficient parking to drive straight into a spot. But surprised that the queue was still way across the other side of reception, moving slowly possibly due to only one table. But soon into the crowded hall - felt busier this year but never too pushy. Obvious a slightly better class of visitor ;)

Trade is always magnificent here but was a little put out by the apparent trend to only turn up with a display stand (C&amp;L) - I'm afraid I do not see the point. I go to a show to pick up things I need to avoid postal charges and frequent postal delays. If I wanted to order and get something posted I would order online and save the "hassle" of visiting a show. (I know it isn't "hassle" visiting any show - but it is by comparison to turning up and collecting items on the stand)

The layouts:

Bowled over by Tiverton (even allowing for a few pushing of stock, god lifts and other teething) good to see operators with a clear sense of humour simply enjoying operating. Perhaps it is the shape of the layout or operate from the front policy?

Hope under whatsit - looked a pretty good diorama but I got rather bored waiting for something to find its way out of the rather too large and full fiddle yard. The detail on the model was really good but seeing some stock would be good. The one train that was allowed out didn't seem to know where it was due to stop being very hesitant, still the operators were really enthusiastic about the quality of the point work - and it must be said all the track looked very well accomplished - wish I could say the same about the stock.

Woodfield Road - well with all the magazine PR recently this was a must to see live. I'm sorry to say I came to the same conclusion already posted elsewhere on the forum. If someone had put up the track plan for advice mine would have been "too much crammed in spoils the overall vision" - all those parallel lines and sidings simply to fill the baseboard with track.

Demonstrations at expoEM are always friendly affairs and often difficult to get a seat at - it really felt crowded and lacking in space with some demos almost merging in one. I don't often feel the desire to partake but did enjoy the engineering tool and trees demos. (can I suggest a simple lathe demo)

Once again thanks to everyone for organising, demonstrating, exhibiting next year's calendar entry made.

but was a little put out by the apparent trend to only turn up with a display stand (C&amp;L)

C&L had pre-advertised this with explanations on their website, was there anyone else doing the same to make it a trend?

Keith

• RMweb Gold

C&L had pre-advertised this with explanations on their website, was there anyone else doing the same to make it a trend?

Keith

Not aware of anyone else doing this, Keith, but as far as I am concerned, I am with Kenton on this one - I just don't see the point of 'display only' traders **. I would be put off buying things from them if this becomes the norm. I certainly hope no one else does it. Like it or not, visiting exhibitions represents the main mode of stocking up on bits and pieces to keep my hobby at home going, these days.

** Clearly I would make an exception for someone like Bachmann or Kernow Model Centre, who are displaying pre-production models that haven't yet been released yet...

Edit - typo

Keith

There is a more worrying trend.

Today's show is David Geen's LAST official show. From tomorrow he will be mail order only. He is not the first, and of greater concern, probably will not be the last to do this. There are many contributing factors to his decision, but judging by the age of many traders, it could become a trend.

Mike Wiltshire

David Geen has been wanting to wind down for some time now, so that news is not a complete surprise.

It does make for some interesting problems, though: how will you be able to order parts that you know he makes, but which are not listed on his website which hasn't been updated since about 2009?

David Geen has been wanting to wind down for some time now, so that news is not a complete surprise.

It does make for some interesting problems, though: how will you be able to order parts that you know he makes, but which are not listed on his website which hasn't been updated since about 2009?

The new site has been designed and awaits activation....when he has the time to sit down and check everything is correct. Should not be long now.

Mike Wiltshire

Archived